PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes C63 AMG Supertest

KresoF1
January 26th, 2009, 19:17
Ring 8:13min
Hockenheim 1:15,7min

If we look at competitors nothing special since car was equiped with AMG Performance Package(code 030). But, overall according to von Saruma it is decent power monster.

On the track M3 is faster, be it manual or M-DKG version.

Leadfoot
January 26th, 2009, 19:47

If we look at competitors nothing special since car was equiped with AMG Performance Package(code 030). But, overall according to von Saruma it is decent power monster.

This shows that throwing power at a thing can't always produce the desired results but all in all a good set of figures for a car which isn't as focussed as the likes of the M3.

P.S.

I didn't know they had tested a M-DKG M3 yet, what were it's figures.

artur777
January 26th, 2009, 19:56

The time is equal to M5's.
It's a good achievement of Mercedes. BMW should look carefully - the competitors are near:-)
TT-RS will be faster, I hope:-)

KresoF1
January 26th, 2009, 20:37
I didn't know they had tested a M-DKG M3 yet, what were it's figures.

Not officially yet... Just, unofficially M-DKG M3 is within 1s on the Ring.

Erik
January 26th, 2009, 20:38
Really good times!

The C63 AMG is my favourite at the moment. I think I must own one before I die.

kju
January 26th, 2009, 20:52
Like the sound of the c63 :)

Leadfoot
January 26th, 2009, 21:05
Not officially yet... Just, unofficially M-DKG M3 is within 1s on the Ring.

Not sure what you mean by this statement. Within a second of what, the C63 or the manual M3 and is that quicker or slower?

KresoF1
January 26th, 2009, 21:13
Not sure what you mean by this statement. Within a second of what, the C63 or the manual M3 and is that quicker or slower?

Within 8:05min that M3 manual achieved.

I will also say this-both M3 and C63 engines are old technology. NO DFI, NO special materials, barely EU4 norm... It is clear that Audi and Porsche are light year ahead of them(and I could add Jaguar as well with new AJ III V8. Go to Drivers Republic web site. There is an article about new XFR by Chris Harris and there is nice PDF about new Jag engines. Awsome technical achievement indeed IMHO. Speical DFI and EU5 norm...) in DFI development.

5.2 FSI in R8 V10 and Gallardo is the first DFI that could rev more then 8500rpm. New Porsche DFIs in 997.2 and Cayman FL are simply amazing.

Only good BMW engine is(technically speaking) the one in 335i IMO. Mercedes? Grand Pa engines...

Leadfoot
January 26th, 2009, 21:23
I agree that Audi are lightyears ahead in engine development, BMW seem to be into regeneration at the moment. But there is no denying that the M3 is a good car, just not the great one it use to be against the competition. The reality is that the RS5 will tear it apart, and the only thing reviews will probably say in the M3's defence is it's more entertaining. Sure but it's still going to be slower.

rks838
January 26th, 2009, 21:39
In my humble, American-grown opinion, what's the matter with old tech if it performs as well?! The C63 has got the best engine among the M3, RS4, and IS-F, old/too big/lacking advanced technology or whatever. The Corvette ZR1 is an example of how well "old tech" can perform.

Maybe this type of engine is not as exciting/lively/character-infused as the smaller displacement ones with less even power delivery. I personally favor this type of engine. However, the C63 has a more powerful, more flexible engine. If I owned one (which I wouldn't...), I would love to stoplight-race the guy in the M3 who talked about the M3 engine's wonderful technology...

KresoF1
January 26th, 2009, 21:42
M3 is really good car. Just, some things on it are strange... M-DKG setup and overall execution for example. PDK in Cayman S is current SOTA in DCT gearbox technology and S Tronic in S4 is second best. M-DKG is third at best IMHO.

Leadfoot
January 26th, 2009, 22:05
M3 is really good car. Just, some things on it are strange... M-DKG setup and overall execution for example. PDK in Cayman S is current SOTA in DCT gearbox technology and S Tronic in S4 is second best. M-DKG is third at best IMHO.

I am expecting the S/Tronic to be used in the RS5 to have a more sportscar focused software, so it might just be up there with the PDK.

AndyBG
January 26th, 2009, 23:19
Really good times!

The C63 AMG is my favourite at the moment. I think I must own one before I die.

You will, for sure, if you want! Second hand one will be very, very cheap in near future...

p3u
January 27th, 2009, 23:22
I will also say this-both M3 and C63 engines are old technology. NO DFI, NO special materials, barely EU4 norm...

Are you kidding!?! :eye:

BMW has some amazing engines at the moment, do some research on the 5.0 and the 4.0 in the M5/M3, very impressive motors. The blocks have some very unique properties and are very advanced. Check it out.