PDA

View Full Version : Porsche readies hardcore Cayman

Erik
January 25th, 2009, 09:20
No PDK, but I still like one. :incar:

I guess they'll save the PDK for next version.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/237264/

Ruergard
January 25th, 2009, 13:28
I like it! Should be one funny little car.

AndyBG
January 25th, 2009, 13:57
Long waited car... But still very difficult task for Porsche...

crespo
January 25th, 2009, 17:26
I think they're going to change the shifting method for the PDK, phasing out the push-pull BS they tried to pull (along side BMW).

left-down right-up, please.

Leadfoot
January 25th, 2009, 20:38
I think they're going to change the shifting method for the PDK, phasing out the push-pull BS they tried to pull (along side BMW).

left-down right-up, please.

To the best of my knowledge I already thought that Porsche were about the do just that. Also this is the car which the TT/RS should be compared to, not the Cayman S.

AndyBG
January 26th, 2009, 13:29
To add some to the story...

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090126.006/porsche-developing-new-lightweight-cayman-clubsport

KresoF1
January 26th, 2009, 15:44
To the best of my knowledge I already thought that Porsche were about the do just that. Also this is the car which the TT/RS should be compared to, not the Cayman S.

Are you sure?

How about little bit of track time from Cayman S(FL) Sport Auto test?

Cayman S equiped with PDK, PASM, LSD, 19" and SC Plus.

Hockenheim 1:13,9min with normal Bridgestones RE050 N1 tires...

For comparison:

Audi R8 4.2 FSI(R Tronic, Magnetic Ride) 1:13,4min

Porsche 997.2 Carrera S(PDK, SPASM, PCCB, SC Plus) 1:13,4min

Porsche 997.2 Carrere 4S(PDK, SPASM, PCCB, SC Plus) 1:13,9min

Interesting, isn't it? BTW, Sport Auto Supertest of Cayman S(FL) will be published in either April or May issue of SA. Ring time? With street tires almost as fast as R8 4.2 FSI... Belive it or not...

Also for comparison Audi TTS Hockenheim time-1:16,1min...

So, with 350ps or not TTRS will(my bet) not be as fast as Cayman S on the track.

BTW, my friend who is member of auto press and R8(R Tronic) owner drove(and wrote) Cayman S(FL) for one German magazine. His verdict? He could not be more impressed, he ordered Cayman S PDK after spending one week with it. He said to me:"...even better car overall then R8!".

Honestly, I will buy one as well since R8 V10 is overrpriced as hell in my market. Example-for the same money as R8 V10 costs you can buy Audi S4(S Tronic) and Porsche Cayman S(PDK)...

Leadfoot
January 26th, 2009, 16:43
Are you sure?

How about little bit of track time from Cayman S(FL) Sport Auto test?

Cayman S equiped with PDK, PASM, LSD, 19" and SC Plus.

Hockenheim 1:13,9min with normal Bridgestones RE050 N1 tires...

For comparison:

Audi R8 4.2 FSI(R Tronic, Magnetic Ride) 1:13,4min

Porsche 997.2 Carrera S(PDK, SPASM, PCCB, SC Plus) 1:13,4min

Porsche 997.2 Carrere 4S(PDK, SPASM, PCCB, SC Plus) 1:13,9min

Interesting, isn't it? BTW, Sport Auto Supertest of Cayman S(FL) will be published in either April or May issue of SA. Ring time? With street tires almost as fast as R8 4.2 FSI... Belive it or not...

Also for comparison Audi TTS Hockenheim time-1:16,1min...

So, with 350ps or not TTRS will(my bet) not be as fast as Cayman S on the track.

BTW, my friend who is member of auto press and R8(R Tronic) owner drove(and wrote) Cayman S(FL) for one German magazine. His verdict? He could not be more impressed, he ordered Cayman S PDK after spending one week with it. He said to me:"...even better car overall then R8!".

Honestly, I will buy one as well since R8 V10 is overrpriced as hell in my market. Example-for the same money as R8 V10 costs you can buy Audi S4(S Tronic) and Porsche Cayman S(PDK)...

I honestly thought that your comments on the time the Cayman S did was a misprint because the improvement was huge. If that is the case then my estimates for the TT/RS being a competitor for the Hardcore Cayman is well wide of the mark.

BTW, that is a great combination, S4 with a Cayman S. A match made in heaven.

P.S.

I still think that the TT/RS will be in the 1:14 bracket. I expect Quattro to work their magic over the chassis and well as the engine.

KresoF1
January 26th, 2009, 17:24
Not a missprint. 1:13,9min indeed.

...and that is with PASM. What if Porsche offered SPASM(short for Sport PASM) that is additional option on 997.2? Hmm...

I agree with you fully about S4-great car, specially with S Tronic.