PDA

View Full Version : How is the A/S5 compared to the RS6

markusla
January 24th, 2009, 18:06
Hey guys,
We have a small discussion on the A5/S5 board about the 5 vs RS6...
I guess quite many of you have tried the A5 and S5 models, what's your opinion when considering performance and handling?

One of the guys tried the RS6 and I'm surprised about his experience and that he feels the RS6 wasn't that much faster. I guess it all depends on your expectations.

Ref: http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/changing-09-rs6-5879/index.html?t=5879
Especially post #19 and #21

I've not tried the RS6 myself but I'm on the pre-order list for the RS5...

mmaturo
January 24th, 2009, 18:43
Hey guys,
I guess quite many of you have tried the A5 and S5 models, what's your opinion when considering performance and handling?

One of the guys tried the RS6 and I'm surprised about his experience and that he feels the RS6 wasn't that much faster. I guess it all depends on your expectations.

Ref: http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/changing-09-rs6-5879/index.html?t=5879

Well edited this as I didn't read the link first and notice that it referred to the new RS6...still no contest. But they are much different cars and the new RS6 is even heavier. The new RS6 is quicker period if my C5 RS6 is.

I have an RS6 (3 1/2 years) and test drove many A5/S5s and was going to buy an S5. However it is not anywhere near as fast as my car period. The power is not there in the same way. The S5 is quick compared to most cars but not the RS6. Handling however is another story. The car is lighter although not much, better weight distribution and can take the twisties better than the RS6 whale when they get tight (not the long sweepers or ordinary curves where i can keep power on in the RS). I have also followed an S5 on the track which is where I watched how it could take tight turns where my car couldn't do anything but plow...but after i plowed through i reeled him back in on the straight easily. The Rs6 is faster period.

The RS5 should be fantastic with the newer adaptive suspension, 40/60 split, better weight distribution and so on...I will be looking at one too. The Rs6 has a ton of motor but is heavy and mostly front heavy so anything else with 4wheel drive at or over 450hp and lighter with better balance will obviously take it. It will crush the Rs6 if it has any horsepower over the RS4s 420.

mdk
January 24th, 2009, 19:57
markusla
The guy at posts #19 + #21 on the link is comparing his remapped 3.0 TDI A5 with a stock RS6 (C6).
I can't really explain what his senses were sensing when he's comparing 60-120 between the two cars but surely consumptions between the 3.0TDI and the 5.0v10 twin turbo gasoline engine are not a surprise.
I own an RS6 C6 and test drove the S5 (but not the 3.0 TDI). Nowhere close, in any speed range. And if I was to compare with my current set up (remapped by mtm) then I would simply :jlol:
It might be that in the RS6 you don't feel the speed you make. You need to lower you window a bit to start sensing, to brake the "shield" you are into.

As to the handling it's amazing how you cannot really feel the 2 tons this car weighs, as long as tires are over 40 deg. C.

:rs6kiss:

grizz
January 24th, 2009, 20:53
I had a s5 in last week , It's a really nice car and I'm looking to get one. my rs6 would kill a s5 . But I've got a spare rs4 4.2 fsi engine that i plan to fit in the s5 so it will have 420bhp not 350 that will make it fun ....

DuckWingDuck
January 24th, 2009, 21:43
Ya, the S5 is a nice car but it's different than the RS6. Different car for different purposes.

gjg
February 15th, 2009, 06:21
Hey guys,

this guys has no idea - 3.0 TDi will not in any way she performs match RS6. 60 - 120 the TDi runs same as rs? :doh:

Leadfoot
February 15th, 2009, 13:19
You can't compare an RS to an S model, the two serve totally different purposes. Though all things considered the new S4 with Sportdiff could be classes as a better drive than the RS4, though I wouldn't reckon the same for the S5 in it's current form, maybe when Sportdiff and the 3.0TFSi is installed things will be different.

SAF
February 15th, 2009, 16:59
I snagged a manual S5 for a couple of days as a loaner, and I test drove the crap out of it. Initially I thought it could be the car I might replace my C5 RS6 with, but by the time I turned it in, I was not so sure.

IMO it is one of the nicest looking cars Audi has constructed, plus I am ready for a two-door layout. I could toss the car around nicely, it handled beautifully at high speeds and it certainly had some guts, but those things didn't seem to work together as well as they do in the RS. The seat of my pants senses weren't feeling the edge that I'd hoped to experience in a car with supposedly 5 years worth of improved engineering. It's hard to explain, but once I got back into my own car the idea of getting an S5 definetly seemed like a step backwards. I hold out hope for the arrival of the RS5 in the states.

QuattroFun
February 15th, 2009, 18:55
We are not talking like-for-like, but I have also found myself doing this comparison. The S5 is a nice car - it looks really good and modern - and it has a better flowing and better balanced chassis (without ADS) overall than especially the MkI RS6 (with SS+) but all said also the RS6 MkII (with DRC Plus). The funny thing is that the MkI felt faster and more brutal than it actually was whereas the opposite is true for MkII - it is in reality very very quick and capable, but feels merely very quick, quite heavy actually and overall too civilised (i.e. catering too much for "old rich men"/"autobahn hours") for my liking. I even think the steering in MkI was a tad better than in MkII, which is very similar to S5 - i.e. overassisted at low speeds and somehow feeling artificial. MkII has, however, a great and quick gearbox with a lovely boom on upshift whereas the MkI's box is ancient. Still, the S5 suffers mostly in this comparison I think from its lack of power (apart from the obvious handicap when it comes to practicality) - the bottom-end is of course uncomparable, but even the top-end is surprisingly flat when you hit 7000rpm. The soundtrack is great from the outside but too muted inside - MkI at least had the sports exhaust as a factory option, but now even it is missing in MkII, which is also too quiet on the inside. I think and sincerely hope that the upcoming RS5 is the perfect mix between S5 and RS6 with added sportiness, feel and focus well beyond RS4 MkII...

Hy Octane
February 15th, 2009, 19:48
RS6 is a street legal racecar, the S5 is a GT.

gjg
February 17th, 2009, 20:51

com'on - all I have is just ordinary stationwagon .... :jlol:

Brav
February 18th, 2009, 03:23

I wouldnt go quite that far.. as much as I love the RS6, its a heavy pig.

This is a street legal race car :)

2300 lbs, 500hp

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f282/ckreidel/My%20Noble/IMG_0705.jpg