PDA

View Full Version : Brake Warning Light

Aronis
January 21st, 2009, 00:29
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows if the Brake Warning light comes on when the brake fluid is low.

I checked the front pads a month ago (1/2 worn), but a couple of times this week the brake warning light and tone came on (very cold days -6 and -8) but only briefly.

I figure its due to low level of brake fluid due to 1/2 warn pads (more fluid in caliper) and cold temps (fluid contracts).

Any thoughts?

Mike

hahnmgh63
January 21st, 2009, 00:52
It will come on with low fluid, low pressure when applying the brakes, and pad sensors grounding out (worn pads).

stubro
January 21st, 2009, 14:13
Hmm so here I am needing a new brake job and the rotors are going too and no brake light. How low does it have to go?

mmaturo
January 21st, 2009, 23:18
Hmm so here I am needing a new brake job and the rotors are going too and no brake light. How low does it have to go?

Don't worry...in three plus years of owning my car and 3 sets of front rotors, 5+ sets of pads and never until now has my brake light come on. Not very reliable indication of anything.

Rupert
January 22nd, 2009, 10:29
Yes the brake warning light comes on for low fluid level, I've only had it happen once for that reason when I had a leak from a crush washer at the rear caliper. I lost quite a lot of fluid.

The other reason it comes on is a low battery (according to my dealer). It seemed to happen more when I put the car quickly into drive, instead of letting it sit for a few seconds after starting. The dealer replaced the battery (under warranty!) and all has been well since.