PDA

View Full Version : R8 service

RXBG
January 20th, 2009, 16:49
my car had its 5000 service on schedule. has 9800 on the clock now and says i have to schedule a new service. according to the dealer it doesn't need one until 15000. i don't have the manual with me as i am at work. can anyone comment?

Qisha
January 20th, 2009, 22:41
Dear RXBG,

first is at 5.000 miles, second at 15.000 miles, third 25.000 miles and so on.

False alarm, a simple reset of the maintenance light should be all you need. Takes only a minute of time for your dealer.

Qisha

RXBG
January 21st, 2009, 13:47
checked when i got home. will be taking it by for a clicking noise when the HVAC comes on this saturday.

jasaretta
January 21st, 2009, 21:07
HVAC? What is it?

RXBG
January 21st, 2009, 21:08
HVAC? What is it?

heating ventilation air con

2FST4CHP
January 22nd, 2009, 00:58
Hey R...

I'm also at 9700K miles and am going to have the oil and filter changed at 10K regardless. I would consider it if I was you.

I will be in Orlando in either May or June. I'll email you when I get a date.

RXBG
January 22nd, 2009, 13:38
great J. will be looking out for the date. kim wants to go see her family in the summer some time but we haven't set up a date yet.

how much is your dealer going to charge for the service?

Qisha- any opinions on a 10K mile oil change?

MPT
January 22nd, 2009, 21:40
On all new Audi's the service-interval ajust itself. If you for example drive a lot in in the city, and you're engine rarely gets properly heated, oil change will be necessary more often - so the interval ajusts.

Like this summer when i drove like 3-4.000km on vacation (autobahn etc.), my service interval actually got longer.

Klint
January 22nd, 2009, 23:34
Hey Rod,

Can VAGCom work on the R8?

RXBG
January 23rd, 2009, 01:50
hey Klint- i guess it could. but what would it do in this case?

MPT- the problem is figuring out how to adjust the interval. i drive a 70/30 mix of highway and city.

Qisha
January 23rd, 2009, 07:12
Dear RXBG,

under regular road -non track- conditions you are alright with the usual service interval. Keep an eye on the oil level, as long as the recommended level is upheld, no problem. The service schedules are "generously" meassured, a few hundred miles +/- is within the scope but not thousands- of course. If you keep the service times up to that level, you are fine with warranty policies- for example.

The service level schedule on "interval service" cars does not vary that mouch anyways-, like on "long life service" cars.

Qisha

Klint
January 23rd, 2009, 15:51

MPT- the problem is figuring out how to adjust the interval. i drive a 70/30 mix of highway and city.
You'd use it to check for faults and to reset the service indicator, you can also get real time info aswell.

MPT
January 23rd, 2009, 16:06

Maybe i misunderstood your question? The service interval ajusts itself, if that's what you're asking? So if you drive a lot in city the interval automatically ajusts itself to be shorter.

RXBG
January 24th, 2009, 16:22
can anyone comment on clutch life for the R8? just asked the tech and he says there is no way to evaluate % clutch wear unless they disassemble it. something the dealer is apparently not willing to do for the sake of my curiosity.

Erik
January 24th, 2009, 16:44
can anyone comment on clutch life for the R8? just asked the tech and he says there is no way to evaluate % clutch wear unless they disassemble it. something the dealer is apparently not willing to do for the sake of my curiosity.

I've seen an S4 clutch burn in about 1 minute, at an Audi test drive. :nono: :stick: :doh:

So it is very much depending on driving skill and technique, and not so much up to the car anymore. :king: :revs: , :blush: or :trash:

I wonder if the fact that most americans drive automatics have anything to do with it? :vhmmm: :lovl: ;)

MPT
January 24th, 2009, 17:25
I've seen an S4 clutch burn in about 1 minute, at an Audi test drive. :nono: :stick: :doh:

One minute? What happened?

Erik
January 24th, 2009, 17:58
One minute? What happened?

V8 with full power starts, and clutch half-way up all the way. They had to tow the car. :doh:

Just see this. :noshake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E13Q5fQi71c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quTeXhdfoA4

You see, takes only about ONE minute :hihi:

:p

RXBG
January 24th, 2009, 19:04
my question was naturally aimed not at abused clutch wear, but expected clutch wear with normal use (no tracking, no drag-racing, etc...). i ask because there have been rumors about 10K clutch life expectancy for the R8, which to me seems ridiculous and hopefully not true.