PDA

View Full Version : Hood Vent Template and instructions

HeadShot
January 20th, 2009, 01:05
So a few of the crew from down under asked me if i could give them the templates i made up for the hood vent mod i did last year. No problem - i made a sheet with all templates included and a short power point on instructions to do it - atleast the steps i did.

If any are interested in getting a copy let me know PM and i'll send it out and email ya the power point.. i can't host it anywhere. ??

No cost but donations welcome in the form of anything from your local area / country. Already have a rugby DVD from the Aussi pre ordered LOL.

Best Regards
H.S

p3u
January 20th, 2009, 01:49
Sign me up! Email me at s4power@gmail.com.

How much benefit did you see from the hood vents from cooling and performance?

DuckWingDuck
January 20th, 2009, 02:27
nick, email me the power point, I can host it. Also, sorry we missed each other today.

Boosted-Bora
January 20th, 2009, 06:15
email me and I will get you some obama gear from Downtown at the Inauguration
Drew@revisionauto.com

DHall1
January 20th, 2009, 15:12
HS

Are you sure you dont work for AMG? :race:

Just kidding, but to show how well your design works....here is a pic of the 600+hp SLBlack series.

aussie rs6
January 20th, 2009, 16:11
Hi Nick,

now there is the ultimate compliment!

john

HeadShot
January 20th, 2009, 16:29
Srry Guys - i'm heading offshore today -NOW ugg. But will get back to all next week. As soon as i get in.
Thxs for the coments.
Greg.... we still on for Fri. I'll call ya next few days...

DuckWingDuck
January 20th, 2009, 16:36
Nick, no worries, give me a call when you get in.

Here's the PPT: http://www.twilightstar.net/greg/RS6%20Hood%20Vent%20Templetes.pptx

aussie rs6
January 20th, 2009, 16:50
Hi Greg,

can you email instructions to me at john@elstree.com.au as a pdf as I cannot open pptx.

server i use can take up to 80 mb.

thanking you in anticipation.

john

HeadShot
January 20th, 2009, 20:24
Srry - left before i got the link to host. My bad - the PPT is not on my wrk system. Will be back next Tues.
Just to clear up the template deal... i couldn't scan it in and reproduce at the orginal size so i'm sending hard copies (photo copies) tubed. size is critical if you are attempting this project. So if you email me or PM. send your postal address so i get them off. The Power Point will be up on Gregs when i get it to him after next Tues.

A final note - i'm no drafts man or a fab guy... so take it all with a grain of salt. If i were to to it again i believe i could pull it off with these instructions . Re check measurements and position. I tried to duplacate the steps i took and the templates are the same so.. I won't be offended by any changes - if anyone has helpful notes to add to the PPt instructions please post here for all.

If adding the drain at the front of the vent.. it gets very close to the Audi intakes and can rub or squash them alittle if not set up correctly. Mine had this problem but i changed a measurement slightly on the template which should help.

Best of luck

H.S
email. headshot38@hotmail.com

Mr Balsen
January 20th, 2009, 20:30
Headshot,

Send me your PPT document to mtmfrance@yahoo.fr, I will put it on my web site. So everybody can access it.

Frederic

DuckWingDuck
January 20th, 2009, 20:37
everyone, converted it to PDF: http://www.twilightstar.net/greg/RS6_Hood.pdf

Just FYI, it's a 28MB PDF, so might take a few minutes :D I will try to convert into smaller file later when I get back to the office.

HeadShot
January 20th, 2009, 21:06
thxs for hosting, i would have trimmed it up but i don't use PPt much and it was all after the fact.
Thanks again.
Nick

DuckWingDuck
January 20th, 2009, 21:31
ya, i've got a program back at the office that'll shrink/compress office files, that'll dramatically decrease the file size.

aussie rs6
January 21st, 2009, 18:20
everyone, converted it to PDF: http://www.twilightstar.net/greg/RS6_Hood.pdf

Just FYI, it's a 28MB PDF, so might take a few minutes :D I will try to convert into smaller file later when I get back to the office.

Greg,

thanks for posting the instructions in pdf.

downloads ok and very clear.

john

:rs6kiss: :rs6kiss: :rs6kiss:

DHall1
January 21st, 2009, 21:45
I mean really, look at the top pic of the SL Black series. See the vents in the front and rear of the hood. Now look at the design for the RS6. Very similar. Nice work, I must say the vents at the rear of the hood are just as important as the fronts.

HS

Are you sure you dont work for AMG? :race:

Just kidding, but to show how well your design works....here is a pic of the 600+hp SLBlack series.

vangelis
January 22nd, 2009, 02:34
I have a question here guys,, what about washing the car with these vents open to the engine? Is the water will go down on the engine? Do I need to shut them off before washing the car or what? Thanks

Mr Balsen
January 22nd, 2009, 06:12
yes, you need to close them before washing the car.

Frederic

vangelis
January 22nd, 2009, 10:22
yes, you need to close them before washing the car.

Frederic

Oh NOO,, that means I can not drive under a heavy rains (which I LOVE to do)??? :(

DHall1
January 22nd, 2009, 19:27
If you drive fast enough that would not be a problem. :MTM:

Oh NOO,, that means I can not drive under a heavy rains (which I LOVE to do)??? :(

vangelis
January 22nd, 2009, 19:44
If you drive fast enough that would not be a problem. :MTM:

So, what if I stuck in the traffic under the rains? Do I need to pull over quickly and cover them? ,,, so sad that I can't go for that vents :(

HeadShot
January 26th, 2009, 02:32
I have a question here guys,, what about washing the car with these vents open to the engine? Is the water will go down on the engine? Do I need to shut them off before washing the car or what? Thanks

Here is the deal guys - srry i just got to dry land. I designed the hood vents in my posts so water IS NOT a problem!!!!!!!! There is a catchment tube on the front vent that collectects over 98% of all rain fall, on the rear if made correctly nothing from there gets to the motor!!!! 98% even 90% - hell how much water gets to the rear of the rad. on a rainy day!!!!! The engine is made for this - the areas of concern are the ECU etc. The car is made to have water over the engine without problems - i just went over board with water control because i'd rather be safe than srry and it wasn't that big of a deal to do. So before comments about covering the vents - check your facts, (plse don't take that the wrong way!!!) It's a motor, the vent design restricts water contact with the engine. I have had mine in for almost 1 yr. NO PROBLEMS!!! I wash it ever week!!!! O.k - when you use soap it pools and you get overflow from the vent drain "No Problem!!!" I have a car cover on when i'm out of town so no prolonged exposure - sitting without movement. But otherwise there is no problem with this - Ref any design with hood vents - Ferreri, Merc, etc!!!!
Hope it helps you sleep at night LOL, i love the Beast - No damage / happy ending

I don't know what else to say - i was VERY worried about this issue before i started the project - the end of it was NO problems. stick to worrying about the tranny LOL

HeadShot
January 26th, 2009, 02:48
so i just got hm. Posting the templates tomorrow - anybody interested email me you POSTAL ADDRESS - to headshot38@hotmail.com and i'll get them out to you.
I'm not tracking you down on email as indivuals -- asking for this info. SEND it and you shall receive!!!
Best regards
HS

Drew - did ya get my PM???

vangelis
January 26th, 2009, 08:51
so i just got hm. Posting the templates tomorrow - anybody interested email me you POSTAL ADDRESS - to headshot38@hotmail.com and i'll get them out to you.
I'm not tracking you down on email as indivuals -- asking for this info. SEND it and you shall receive!!!
Best regards
HS

Drew - did ya get my PM???

Thanks HS,, PM sent.

HeadShot
January 27th, 2009, 20:23
details to note. Insluation in the back of the rear outlet vent to block hot air getting trapped in there(pic 3). Also the sides of that section were siliconed to guide any rain / water out of the opening.
The cut through from the engine bay to the washer area has had the sides blocked up to channel air towards the vent -(pic 8)
The wire peices you can see are to hold the heat shield in place (last pick)

snoopra
January 28th, 2009, 00:24
Great pics. Two questions, What's the tape for on the air intake duct and is this the vent drain you added? (marked up pic)

Clubsport
January 28th, 2009, 06:41

don't worry, if you look at pics of my car, you'll see that vents are much bigger and I've got no problems with the rain, nor when I wash my car.:thumb:

snoopra
January 28th, 2009, 14:08
HeadShot, has the air exhausting through the vents caused any scorching or paint discoloration?

vangelis
January 28th, 2009, 17:22
don't worry, if you look at pics of my car, you'll see that vents are much bigger and I've got no problems with the rain, nor when I wash my car.:thumb:

you mean the MTM 3 vents? that would be great.

HeadShot
January 28th, 2009, 17:36
Great pics. Two questions, What's the tape for on the air intake duct and is this the vent drain you added? (marked up pic)

Yep - thats the drain, thanks for adding the note on the pic. It is a PVC fitting attached to a high temp hose that runs out the louvers in the wheel well.

The tape (self adhevise heat shield (from Jegs) is there because my vent was just alittle big (deep) so the drain pipe that runs along the vent lip was contacting it there - leaving a mark and it put a slight dent in it (from heat transfer between stainless and the plastic duct) So i added the tape to clean it up a bit. Hindsight is truely wonderful. I adjusted the depth of the vent measurement after this so it should be good. BUT if your doing this check everything you can with cardboard mock ups to be sure.

before i added the heat shielding the vent flap and the rear hood area were getting hot.. probably as they nolonger have the coverage from the factory cover.
I added the shielding to the full length of the vent under the factory stuff and on the channel where the air leaves the engine compartment through the hood bracing. This solved that problem and i now feel no difference between the mod areas and anywhere else. Important to remember you want the air to get out the rear vents without getting trapped anywhere. The insluation material i used is for heating ducks in houses.. will not rot. repels water and excellent for heat control.
Easy install there - just stuff it.

Hope this helps.
I should mention someone on here offered to transfer the template to Auto CAD and then to a file we can all use so when he gets it done this should be available to all on here some place to download and print off at kinkos. LOL
For the guys that sent me your mailing address - its on its way. Any questions - just ask.
Best regards
HS

HeadShot
January 28th, 2009, 17:41
extra pics - may be helpful.

Clubsport
January 28th, 2009, 19:26
you mean the MTM 3 vents? that would be great.

Yes.:wo:

HeadShot
January 29th, 2009, 04:19
Headshot,

Send me your PPT document to mtmfrance@yahoo.fr, I will put it on my web site. So everybody can access it.

Frederic

Frederic - i am guess you are an MTM dealer = so you sell the MTM hood vents and the information you have for water conflict is?????? You mention nothing about MTM vent water control.. they actually make no effort to do this and you say my hood vent needs to be covered for water - do you have any facts to back this up and that you will also support the MTM design you support?????? Really interested to read your response!

HeadShot
January 29th, 2009, 04:20
I love what MTM does for the Audi - just need to be sure of the guys pushing the product.

HeadShot
January 29th, 2009, 04:22
i can sell ice to eskimos - ya think they +*%$#@! need it! LOL!! ya got ta have a sense of humor eh??!!

snoopra
February 3rd, 2009, 13:05
Good one Head:). Question, has anyone thought of hood vents for the air INTAKE ducts, or rerouting the intake to the wheel well vent louvers? I'm exploring the relocation options(something similar to the dahlback setup with intake at wheel wells).

SAF
February 4th, 2009, 14:32
Headshot, nice work...you have more balls than I do cutting into the hood like that!
I'm curious as to the source of that front lip spoiler. Can you give me a link? That is the one body mod I've always wanted to do to this car. TIA!

DuckWingDuck
February 4th, 2009, 16:38
that was another labour of love from Headshot, he did it himself.

HeadShot
February 5th, 2009, 05:09
Snoopra, thats been discussed alittle bit in the past. Re-routing the intakes - i think all agreed that anywhere else would be much less efficent as right now its basically a straight shot. Champion did theres through the head light area - bigger intakes, but this would obvisouly not be practical for street use.

I'd say you could probably get some extra improvement with a CO2 bulb in each intake. The company that makes those only makes them up 3" intake piping and ours are 4" so you'd need to take a core and do your own.. then a CO2 system in the trunk, route it in with a fuel chiller and presto - should give the same nice extra performance on a hot day.
If your thinking move them for the hood vents... i don't think it's nesessary - your just reducing back pressure on the inside of the rad and the vent size i did should be more than enough for that. Remember mine is running atleast 25' cooler now.

Best regards..

SAF - yeah srry, the lip spoilers are all mine. I'd have some made from mine if i only knew where to go to get this done. Suggestions????

Thxs Greg... AKA speed demon LOL Any leads on the LEDS we saw Duck??

snoopra
February 5th, 2009, 06:10
Yeah, I'm looking into the CO2 bulb setup too. Another option could be to extend the intake ducts down to draw outside air through the hood grill in front of the radiator.

DuckWingDuck
February 5th, 2009, 15:23
nick, been swamped with work. Thanks for the reminder, let me reach out to some friends to see if we can't get our hands on some LEDs.

ben916
February 5th, 2009, 17:52
nick, been swamped with work. Thanks for the reminder, let me reach out to some friends to see if we can't get our hands on some LEDs.

I have been swamped with dentist drills...

Good to see ya yesterday and thanks for the "oh $hit bar"...

p3u
February 27th, 2009, 16:39
Headshot, would you be willing to fabricate one of these? I don't have the skill to pull off what you did.

Or maybe swap hoods, mine is daytona as well ;)

xpl0sive
March 6th, 2009, 23:15
LLtek sells front spoilers like that... here's a link
http://www.lltek.com/A6DSbmprlps.htm

looks almost the same
http://www.lltek.com/images/A6_4pt2_DS6.jpg

HeadShot
March 6th, 2009, 23:35
They are much fatter . Hang down lots and kinda look... But yeah that's an option I guess. Think we mentioned them before. Personal pref.

SAF
March 7th, 2009, 02:26
Yeah, I'd be more interested in paying Headshot to fab a front spoiler for me! :deal:

mmaturo
March 7th, 2009, 06:12
They are much fatter . Hang down lots and kinda look... But yeah that's an option I guess. Think we mentioned them before. Personal pref.

These dont work on the RS6 though since shape of RS6 lower bumper is different? I like the smaller profile of the homemade (your) version as well...

Cdo
March 7th, 2009, 23:40
what a great pdf, classy work over there.... thumps up :0:

SAF
March 13th, 2009, 03:16
Just found these pictures saved in my computer but can't remember where I found them. Any idea who did these vents?

Clubsport
March 13th, 2009, 07:11
No idea, but it seems to be tooooooo small for a RS6 engine......

vangelis
March 13th, 2009, 09:30
No idea, but it seems to be tooooooo small for a RS6 engine......

Better than nothing :) ,,, So you mean now that hood vents is a MUST!! .. true?

Clubsport
March 13th, 2009, 09:45
So you mean now that hood vents is a MUST!! .. true?

as far as i know the problems on The Beast, I think it is true.:bye:

Mr Balsen
March 13th, 2009, 10:57
Better than nothing :) ,,, So you mean now that hood vents is a MUST!! .. true?

Heat has always been a problem in all Audi RS model. It is because the original car has never been designed to 'receive' such a powerfull engine. It is particularly true in the RS6. The MTM Hood Vents are not beautifull, but there are very efficient.... On mine, it is 10 degrees celsius less for the oil temperature. not that you gain more horsepower, but you don't stop loosing them !!!

Frederic

vangelis
March 13th, 2009, 20:49
Heat has always been a problem in all Audi RS model. It is because the original car has never been designed to 'receive' such a powerfull engine. It is particularly true in the RS6. The MTM Hood Vents are not beautifull, but there are very efficient.... On mine, it is 10 degrees celsius less for the oil temperature. not that you gain more horsepower, but you don't stop loosing them !!!

Frederic

How did you get the MTM hood vents? are they selling the whole new hood pre-modified already? or just the hood vents?? & how much they cost?

RS6-4dr911
November 1st, 2009, 04:39
I'm working on a hood vent set up that I think (in all my abundant humbleness) will make everyone drool.

Templates were perfected tonight. Plan to start cutting on the salvage hood next week. Been monitoring underhood temps with a simple indoor/outdoor temp thermometer with the sensor stuck to the air intake hose and the gauge velcro-ed to the dash. Consistently running around 50-60 degrees above ambient at easy cruise / around-town driving. Spikes to well over 160F absolute (cheapy Lowes thermometer reads "Hi" above 157F, so I'm guessing) when parked. Based on rise rates I'd guess it peaks around 180-190 after shutdown, then starts cooling through radiation.

FWIW, there must be a fair amount of airflow underhood, because after parking and then driving again, the temp drops quickly. So I think the main advantage will be preventing high temps after shutdown (extending the life of underhood plastic and rubber components), possibly a minor reduction in underhood temps during normal operation, and hey, it'll look cool. I'm not a track go-er with this car so it will be hard to demonstrate the reduction in hard driving conditions but logic would dictate a similar reduction in the delta between ambient and underhood temps.

And there's an interesting but coincidental tie-in to the source of the vents. More later.

SAF
November 2nd, 2009, 02:11
Help a fellow Texan out... PM me a day before you post it. ;)

hahnmgh63
November 2nd, 2009, 05:13
I'm kind of a geek but when I get home and pull into the garage I always pop my hood and open it up. My old Porsche 944 Turbos were very hot under the hood until I ceramic coated there exhaust manifolds and crossover pipes. Not anywhere close to doing the RS6 manifolds unless my engine needs to be pulled someday then I will do it. The 944T exhaust manifolds were double walled so I'm sure the RS6 manifolds were, even though the 944T's benefited from ceramic coating.

DuckWingDuck
November 2nd, 2009, 06:24
Help a fellow Texan out... PM me a day before you post it. ;)

lol@the texans sticking together. Damn y'all!! :hihi:

SAF
November 2nd, 2009, 06:25
Oh good, I'm not the only one who pops the hood in the garage when I pull in. After zooming around and then parking in a garage that is still over 90 degrees in the shade during the summer, I figure every little bit helps prevent totally cooking everthing under the hood. I also turn on the pedestal fan that is permanently pointed towards my engine.

SAF
November 2nd, 2009, 06:26
lol@the texans sticking together. Damn y'all!! :hihi:

I thought you were heading this way to join us?

DuckWingDuck
November 2nd, 2009, 06:28
long story..... I'm ever the optimist so I'll never say never but, "it's developing" I guess.

The weather and the traffic though man, it really makes one wonder. Still, it is nice that the RS6 community in the area is growing, would be an instant set o' friends if the transition comes.

SAF
November 2nd, 2009, 06:40
long story..... I'm ever the optimist so I'll never say never but, "it's developing" I guess.

The weather and the traffic though man, it really makes one wonder. Still, it is nice that the RS6 community in the area is growing, would be an instant set o' friends if the transition comes.

You'll be welcome any time you decide to jump in!

Besides a growing Audi community, for the most part our women are faaaaar better looking than just about anyplace I've seen.

DuckWingDuck
November 2nd, 2009, 06:48
haha, well, if I moved down there, that wouldn't be an issue, but that's a whole aside.

but on that last line, that reminds me of the first time I ever visited Houston a few years ago. Basically, one of my best friends went to Rice and out here in LA, whenever I would meet a hot girl, invariably, she would say that she's from Texas so I was really excited the first time I went to visit my friend at Rice. Of course, I flew into Hobby (ugh) and was sooooo disappointed. Since then, I've learned my lesson.... All the hot Texas girls are in LA. Just kidding!

Drop me a line, still got my email?

SAF
November 2nd, 2009, 07:47
All the hot Texas girls are in LA. Just kidding!

Ha! That's funny!

I will be in touch as I am going to be there in CA picking up my new UrQ to drive home next weekend (and also checking on some of those TX gals that got away ;)).

DHall1
November 2nd, 2009, 14:07
That is actually a true statement.

:eye:

Dont tell my wife because I have no plans to trade her in. She still fits in the same size 6 and works out at 7am.

You'll be welcome any time you decide to jump in!

Besides a growing Audi community, for the most part our women are faaaaar better looking than just about anyplace I've seen.

DHall1
November 2nd, 2009, 14:11
:cool2: I have popped my hoods for years.

Both my old Toyotas have ceramic coated exhaust manifolds, ceramic coated turbo housings, ceramic coated downpipes.

Huge difference in underhood temps after ceramic coating.

Oh good, I'm not the only one who pops the hood in the garage when I pull in. After zooming around and then parking in a garage that is still over 90 degrees in the shade during the summer, I figure every little bit helps prevent totally cooking everthing under the hood. I also turn on the pedestal fan that is permanently pointed towards my engine.

RS6-4dr911
November 7th, 2009, 04:39
Guess I didn't do enough homework. The hood I bought was off of a 1998 V6. <>2003 V8.

So, should I find another hood that fits, or go HeadShot's route and do surgery on the stock hood? Was hoping to be able to hang on to the stock hood, original paint, original stickers, etc. Thoughts anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Mr Balsen
November 7th, 2009, 06:52
I'm working on a hood vent set up that I think (in all my abundant humbleness) will make everyone drool.

Can wait to see the pictures !!!

Frederic

SAF
November 7th, 2009, 18:15
I would feel like you - rather mess with a spare hood if at all possible.

DHall1
November 7th, 2009, 19:37
You got me on the fan which is a good idea. When its really hot in AZ....over 100.....I pull the RS in the rear shop which has AC. Lift the hood and the AC vent blows right down in the engine bay.

:hahahehe:

We are all crazy. That is for sure. :vhmmm:

SAF travel safe see you next week. If your at a stopping point you can stay over at our place. We dont have any plans tue or wed evening. Its all clear.

SAF
November 8th, 2009, 05:41
Thanks for the kind offer Dave! I am pushed back one day - I am now flying out Monday and probably hitting the road back home late Monday. I will call you Tuesday to let you know how I'm progressing!

TaTaPiRaTa
November 16th, 2011, 16:26
Hi!

Anybody still has the manual how to cut those hoods from the first post? Your help is very much appreciated. All links on this thread are down.

PM me pls :)

thanks!

ben916
November 16th, 2011, 16:57
Hi!

Anybody still has the manual how to cut those hoods from the first post? Your help is very much appreciated. All links on this thread are down.

PM me pls :)

thanks!

There isn't a manual but there is a template :)
I have a copy of that template and was attempting to digitize it, then print it onto a "sticker" that you would apply to the hood, cut the hood, and finish rather quickly.
Stalled at the digitizing of it...

speedtrapped
November 16th, 2011, 17:07
ben pleassseeeeeee

TaTaPiRaTa
November 16th, 2011, 17:59
ok, so let me have it please.

I thought anybody still has the pdf or ppt file described in the beginig of this thread.

My 9 years old RS6 got nice suspension, paint, interior and exhaust revitalization, so the last part is cooling.

Anybody has the vents and the bottom cutout (sportec stuff) together ???

TaTaPiRaTa
November 18th, 2011, 19:56
Anyone has the template and instructions ?

Need the dimensions and how to get together the new part connected to the hole in hood ?

thanks!

ben916
November 18th, 2011, 20:01
ben pleassseeeeeee

um, is that a guffah please with rolling of eyes to the heavens or please let me have a copy?

TaTaPiRaTa
November 19th, 2011, 19:48
Are you going to help with sharing the template or just bullshit boosting your post count ?

thanks!

speedtrapped
November 19th, 2011, 23:40
What's the matter with BS. How do u think I got my 1st 1k post?.

speedtrapped
November 19th, 2011, 23:41
um, is that a guffah please with rolling of eyes to the heavens or please let me have a copy?
Copy Ben, friend of friends, ;)

ben916
July 19th, 2012, 23:52
NECRO BUMP!

Ok, hahnmgh63, now that you have the location/time/space/tools/knowledge....

I will make dedicated effort on how to get this to others.

Chung
July 20th, 2012, 00:21
I'm kind of a geek but when I get home and pull into the garage I always pop my hood and open it up. My old Porsche 944 Turbos were very hot under the hood until I ceramic coated there exhaust manifolds and crossover pipes. Not anywhere close to doing the RS6 manifolds unless my engine needs to be pulled someday then I will do it. The 944T exhaust manifolds were double walled so I'm sure the RS6 manifolds were, even though the 944T's benefited from ceramic coating.

I see a little foreshadowing in this thread...

ben916
July 20th, 2012, 00:29
I see a little foreshadowing in this thread...

Have you been to hahnmgh63 compound?
I was impressed!

Chung
July 20th, 2012, 00:39
Yes and yes I was impressed.

lswing
July 20th, 2012, 00:42
Have to checkout the compound one day, sounds like a sweet stable of cars, and White RS6, ahhhhhh........now that it's summer every thread regarding cooling has surfaced, hoping I stay cool without my auxiliary radiators, at least there is more air flow down there!

ben916
July 20th, 2012, 21:11
And I just found the powerpoint for this... unreal...

Smiler
August 30th, 2012, 16:25
Also intrested :)
Or tip of any other hood mod...

TaTaPiRaTa
August 31st, 2012, 08:39
Also intrested :)
Or tip of any other hood mod...

Me too. Please share knowledge and send us power point scheme. Thanks!

ben916
August 31st, 2012, 16:24
Me too. Please share knowledge and send us power point scheme. Thanks!

I have to find a place to host it from...
Any hints from anyone?

TaTaPiRaTa
September 1st, 2012, 12:24
I have to find a place to host it from...
Any hints from anyone?

I can publish on my priv site for everybody. see my pm.

bakes
September 3rd, 2012, 02:49
I can post pictures if necessary but I don't have the exact measurements of the slots nor do I know how Headshot's fabricators made/set the vents. He did go so far as to include a water drain to keep rain and water during a wash out of the engine.

ben916
September 3rd, 2012, 03:49
I can post pictures if necessary but I don't have the exact measurements of the slots nor do I know how Headshot's fabricators made/set the vents. He did go so far as to include a water drain to keep rain and water during a wash out of the engine.

I would like to see this as I don't have that information....

TaTaPiRaTa
September 4th, 2012, 15:27
Hi!

Please do so.

I would like to see this as I don't have that information....

Ben did you get my PM? Please let us have powerpoint you have. I can publish it for everyone.

THANK YOU!

Smiler
September 7th, 2012, 22:32
.......... ?

ben916
September 8th, 2012, 00:05
Hi!

Please do so.

Ben did you get my PM? Please let us have powerpoint you have. I can publish it for everyone.

THANK YOU!

Yes, I have to locate the powerpoint again...
I have no way of digitizing the physical templates other than taking a photo and having a ruler or something for reference.

bakes
September 10th, 2012, 02:22
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y173/gregbaker/IMG_0772.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y173/gregbaker/IMG_0779.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y173/gregbaker/IMG_0776.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y173/gregbaker/IMG_0775.jpg

bakes
September 10th, 2012, 02:24
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y173/gregbaker/IMG_0773.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y173/gregbaker/IMG_0771.jpg

Smiler
November 12th, 2012, 16:26
Looks great, good winter modd but i need more info please... :)

Stephencl
November 13th, 2012, 22:53
I am pretty sure I have the full size templates for this. I will check and get back to you. Never went forward with the modification, but it sure looks great.

Stephen

ben916
November 13th, 2012, 23:48
I have it also but no way to digitize the full size template to send anyone.
I also have the powerpoint information but I have moved TWICE in six months (second time as of Nov 1st 2012) so I have sort thru all my stuff...

TaTaPiRaTa
November 14th, 2012, 23:49
I have it also but no way to digitize the full size template to send anyone.
I also have the powerpoint information but I have moved TWICE in six months (second time as of Nov 1st 2012) so I have sort thru all my stuff...

Yes Ben promised it twice already and never delivered. So anyone having that templates pls let me have it as well. Thank you!

ben916
November 15th, 2012, 00:13
Anyone that would like the powerpoint information created by Headshot, please PM me here and INCLUDE your email address.
The PPD is 4M.

Smiler
November 15th, 2012, 05:25
Think i will do them like this instead...

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii76/tommynuce/vorsteinerventedhood.jpg

MaxRS6
November 15th, 2012, 12:32
^I like this look best- I don't have a clue which one is the most efficient.

Primo
November 15th, 2012, 12:54
I'm curious though, what do you cover the vents with when you wash your car? Ducttape? :P

Smiler
November 15th, 2012, 16:24
I'm curious though, what do you cover the vents with when you wash your car? Ducttape? :P

Never washed the engine compartment of a car???

Primo
November 15th, 2012, 17:50
I have Smiler, I just noticed a post here saying that one should cover them up when washing the car.

bakes
November 16th, 2012, 01:23
Headshot built in drainage trough that leads to a pipe which allows the water to drain to the wheel wells (see pictures above). I've had the car a year now and with all my washes (weekly) there's never been an issue.

TaTaPiRaTa
November 17th, 2012, 14:34
Thanks to BEN916 we have the file.

Please download from:
http://www.promomoto.pl/pub/RS6hood/RS6%20Hood%20Vent%20Templetes.pptx

ciao!

Anyone that would like the powerpoint information created by Headshot, please PM me here and INCLUDE your email address.
The PPD is 4M.

rwheelz
April 10th, 2013, 00:10
Here is a link for anyone interested in functional hood vents:
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&title=Undertrays-Spoiler-Bonnet-Vents-Part-3&A=2162

Not to criticize the OP- it take some balls to cut into your hood especially on a car as nice as the RS6. For the academics on the forum: The area toward the back of the hood in front of the windshield is a high pressure zone. Generally, functional hood vents (for heat extraction) should be toward the front of the hood. This topic has been discussed in depth by the Subaru crowd (big debates about hood scoops and venting when switching from top-mounted intercoolers to front-mounted units). Vents placed at the rear of the hood will likely take air INTO the engine bay when moving. Perhaps this is what the OP was aiming for, in order to cool components in that area. Some of the Subaru guys have used manometers to measure the pressure in the engine bay as well as outside along the length of the hood, to generate images with measurements similar to those shown in the above link. I have not seen this done on an Audi, but the basic aerodynamic principles are the same. Placing vents toward the rear of the hood is probably counterproductive because the air entering will be fighting, so to speak, with the air entering the engine bay from the front of the car. Pressure measurements under those rear vents with them open and closed off would be interesting. I think a manometer can be had for less than $50. A simple string test might also suffice. Venting the hood is a much better alternative to the Sportec-mod that vents through the lower tray and generates lift.

HeadShot
October 12th, 2013, 22:08
Missing the beast :)