Michaël Barbé
January 16th, 2009, 08:24
http://www.autojunk.nl/clips/view/150939

MB
:rs6kiss:

Erik
January 16th, 2009, 08:31
Looks like a very quick car.

But those mirrors are HUGE, real Dumbo. EU legislation?

The RS6
January 16th, 2009, 09:50
Yep, they need to be so huge, they are like that on my A3 as well :/

Ontopic, those are some seriously quick gear changes :-o

Michaël Barbé
January 16th, 2009, 10:10
I love the deep, growling sound that you hear very good in the first seconds of the video:bow:

MB

2jm
January 16th, 2009, 12:23
Looks like a very quick car.

But those mirrors are HUGE, real Dumbo. EU legislation?

Those new big mirrors are almost as ugly as the mirrors on new M3.
Damn EU legislation. I've had no problems with my small mirrors whatsoever.

:rs4kiss:

Rage
January 16th, 2009, 13:42
http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17347

Toto89
January 16th, 2009, 14:35
Those mirrors are the stock ones from A5/S5 and since RS6 got the same what basic model had, it was logical to get RS5 the same.

A bit more interesting topic is the engine: the sound confused me totally, but after watching it a few times i say it isn't a V8 but not even N/A and definitely not high revving V8, that has a different, typical character. I would say supercharged V6 tend to my ears, but that doesn't sound logical in respect of opponents huge engines and RS models tuning possibility. So it could be a completely new V8, with V mounted small turbos, and a sound what we've never heard from a V8./I hope my last speculation was correct/

Ohh, almost forgot: definitelly DSG gearbox.

Leadfoot
January 16th, 2009, 23:08
I agree totally with you, everything I have told says it's to use a N/A v8 but from the sound in this video my gut tells me it's the sound of a SC but different to the S4's note.

Leadfoot
January 16th, 2009, 23:17
I forgot to add, I don't agree with WCF when they say that this is near production ready (boywork wise). This car might have a close to finalized front end but the rest of the package here is stock S5 and no RS model ever looked so similar to the S version it was based on. This one will be no different.

Z07
January 17th, 2009, 00:01
Sounds good. Looks fast.

artur777
January 17th, 2009, 07:58
IMHO,

it was V8 HDZ with S-Tronic

RS6C5
January 17th, 2009, 12:05
Looks very fast, video and images dont do the A5 shape justice.

And i hope they dont mount the turbos inside the V of the engine.

4.0TT 450-500hp is my bet.

The Pretender
January 17th, 2009, 12:54
And i hope they dont mount the turbos inside the V of the engine.

I's the future to keep engine's compact in size.

Jarod.

RS6C5
January 17th, 2009, 12:58
Jarod,

I understand that but the extra space will only be used to package more "things" in which will inturn make the car heavier (ie slower).

Sorry I am a performance nut!

On that note has Audi announced any E85 suppourt for the upcoming S/RS models?

The Pretender
January 17th, 2009, 13:07
On that note has Audi announced any E85 suppourt for the upcoming S/RS models?
Not yet to my knowledge.

Jarod.

Damienr8
January 17th, 2009, 13:30
WOW the change of direction is impressive!

Leadfoot
January 17th, 2009, 15:08
There is definitely similarities between the sound of this RS5 and the sounds made by Mercedes which carry the numbers '55' after their model.

Though not all of the ones with '55', only the ones fitted with superchargers. ;)

Check out some videos and see if you come to the same opinion.

Ruergard
January 17th, 2009, 15:34
Gearchanges are quick! And for the sound... That's a V8 with some serious grunt. :bow:

The Pretender
January 17th, 2009, 18:40
That's a V8 with some serious grunt. :bow:
Yes a V8 with some metal like sound, like a Supercharger.

Jarod.

HKS786
January 17th, 2009, 20:09
There is definitely similarities between the sound of this RS5 and the sounds made by Mercedes which carry the numbers '55' after their model.

Though not all of the ones with '55', only the ones fitted with superchargers. ;)

Check out some videos and see if you come to the same opinion.

Sounds a little like a SL55 to me Leadie!

Qisha
January 17th, 2009, 20:24
...interesting that some are able to discern a difference out of that video. Must have ears like a bat. :D

Leadfoot
January 17th, 2009, 20:51
...interesting that some are able to discern a difference out of that video. Must have ears like a bat. :D

We are only making guesses based on the sound we are hearing. It does happen to sound something similar to the SL55 which we all know is supercharged.

Are we wrong to have this opinion?

Qisha
January 17th, 2009, 21:00
We are only making guesses based on the sound we are hearing. It does happen to sound something similar to the SL55 which we all know is supercharged.

Are we wrong to have this opinion?

Well Leadfoot,

yes, this chassis definately carries no AMG engine. :jlol:

Qisha

Leadfoot
January 17th, 2009, 21:07
Well Leadfoot,

Qisha

I love the reply, well done mate.

Though I doubt the rest will be as happy with this reply and might look a bit more.

The Pretender
January 17th, 2009, 21:12
yes, this chassis definately carries (no) AMG engine. :jlol: Qisha
;)

Jarod.

tvrfan
January 18th, 2009, 01:28
Well Leadfoot,

Qisha

sry, i dont understand. supercharger or NA or turbo?

The Pretender
January 18th, 2009, 01:37
sry, i dont understand. supercharger or NA or turbo?
I say Supercharger.

Jarod.

artur777
January 18th, 2009, 10:19
I say Supercharger.

Jarod.

It's only a test mule - so you know that udi can try different engines under the hood:
- NA HDZ
- SC
- TT

As far as I know that the decisions about the engine are being made in 3-4 months before introducing new model.

Leadfoot
January 18th, 2009, 11:16
It's only a test mule - so you know that udi can try different engines under the hood:
- NA HDZ
- SC
- TT

As far as I know that the decisions about the engine are being made in 3-4 months before introducing new model.

I keep saying the same thing over and over. I would have expected the RS5 engine choice to be close to finalized by now in normal situations but the world economy isn't exactly normal at the moment. If the RS5 is still close on a year away I doubt the final decision will be made for another 4 months.

I haven't seen any winter testing as yet so I doubt it's finalized as of yet.

But with this testmule I am in agreement with Jarod.

tvrfan
January 18th, 2009, 13:34
i hope its like Stephan Reil said. for the smaller engines a supercharger ( S4 V6) and for bigger ones the Turbos will be the future. so i really hope thats true, because i dont want the whole RS model range fitted with just superchargers. In my mind the Turbos have to play the first range in RS models

audi_ch
January 18th, 2009, 19:05
currently Bosch is testing in North of sweden (in the region of the polar cyrcle) the rs5 with the v8 Na 450 hp engine and double clutch system, for developing the Abs and Esp systems (dont no the english words)

It is common that Audi gives the final engine version to those tests as all this systems must be inline with the engines output.

The made the new rs6, the r8 V10 some lambos and bently.

tests up in sweden finished with the rs5 in march.

See you

p3u
January 18th, 2009, 20:39
I do remember reading about something on the new S4 motor and the supercharger vs turbo debate. Audi stated for power around 300hp that the supercharger was more efficient, HOWEVER when around levels of 400hp turbos were more efficient.

If this says anything then turbo for the RS5!

tvrfan
January 18th, 2009, 20:58
i really hope its not 4.2 HDZ and not supercharger. i want the damn turbo back.

AndyBG
January 19th, 2009, 01:48
More and more I have feeling that N/A 4.2 will be the RS 5s ''path''... hopefuly, I will have some info about this after ''Audi driving expiriance''...

Leadfoot
January 19th, 2009, 07:57
I have asked again and it is confirmed, the RS5 is DEFINITELY using a N/A V8 but has been designed to sound differently to that of the RS4. That might explain why many of us are assuming different options then the most likely one.

Can't confirm the output, that would pushing it this far to production but doubt it will be less then expected, so 450hp is minimum you will see.

tvrfan
January 19th, 2009, 09:03
why a 4.2 HDZ? whats with "vorsprung durch technik"? sry audi but you fail on this one. they have to wait and bring the new 4.0 T in the RS4 and RS5. because emission ..........

audi_ch
January 19th, 2009, 11:23
improve a littel bit the engine from the rs4 put it up to 450 hp, didnt cost as mutch as using a new or other engine in the rs5.

What i heard but cant confirme further rs models wouldnt have the bigger/wider wheel arches as known so far, due to aditional coast.
Would be really sad, and would approach them to the amg models, witch normaly have the same messurement as the normal merc models.

We will see

AndyBG
January 19th, 2009, 11:43
:rolleyes: What's next... RS 5 will be just A5 2.0 TDI with one RS 5 badge at the back...

tvrfan
January 19th, 2009, 11:50
improve a littel bit the engine from the rs4 put it up to 450 hp, didnt cost as mutch as using a new or other engine in the rs5.

What i heard but cant confirme further rs models wouldnt have the bigger/wider wheel arches as known so far, due to aditional coast.
Would be really sad, and would approach them to the amg models, witch normaly have the same messurement as the normal merc models.

We will see

sorry but i dont believe that. quattro gmbh wouldnt do that for sure

Leadfoot
January 19th, 2009, 12:21

We will see

At the moment I just don't know what to believe. :confused:

It would be a very sad state of affairs if all models basically looked the same, it's part of a problem I have with the S version but as it's only the equviliant to a M/Sport in a BMW I can accept this but not in an RS version.

It's part of their appeal their huge arches and aggressive nose, anything less than these looks will make it no more than one of the pack instead of being the leader of the pack.

:nana:

MR USER
January 19th, 2009, 14:44
Arches or not it disappoints me that the car weights a lot more than the RS4 and gets the same performance package... When I chipped mine it reached 450... So I guess driving the new RS5 should feel like driving my car with 5 people and some luggage inside...

Wouldn't it make more sense to cover the gap between RS6 and RS4? Somewhere in the range of 500 bhp and 600 newton?

+ if RS5 competes with M6 and its 500+ horses v10.... the audi should come with the same v10 engine seen in the R8v10... Now that would make sense to me... forget the V8! (I love the v8 but in my car not in the RS5...)

Not to mention that it makes sense from a mathematical point of view as well...

If Rs4 is to V8 as RS6 is to V10+2turboes then RS5=V10!

The equation leaves no doubt... the RS5 must have a V10!

audi_ch
January 19th, 2009, 14:49
At the moment I just don't know what to believe. :confused:

It would be a very sad state of affairs if all models basically looked the same, it's part of a problem I have with the S version but as it's only the equviliant to a M/Sport in a BMW I can accept this but not in an RS version.

It's part of their appeal their huge arches and aggressive nose, anything less than these looks will make it no more than one of the pack instead of being the leader of the pack.

:nana:

do not agree s version stands for the merc and bmw highest standard version.

m and amg are the equivilant for the rs, and the black series (ex sl 65) does have no equivilant in the m or rs series..

or would you say the m3 is a match for the s4, (would mean the s4 is better than the current rs4...)

Also the pricing of those models are comparable... Rs, m, amg

Leadfoot
January 19th, 2009, 15:03
Arches or not it disappoints me that the car weights a lot more than the RS4 and gets the same performance package... When I chipped mine it reached 450... So I guess driving the new RS5 should feel like driving my car with 5 people and some luggage inside...

Wouldn't it make more sense to cover the gap between RS6 and RS4? Somewhere in the range of 500 bhp and 600 newton?

+ if RS5 competes with M6 and its 500+ horses v10.... the audi should come with the same v10 engine seen in the R8v10... Now that would make sense to me... forget the V8! (I love the v8 but in my car not in the RS5...)

Maybe your views on what the A5 series stands for is different than my own. I see it as a 2 door version of the A4 in much the same way as the E90 and E92 body type is to the 3 series.

If that is the opinion of Audi then surely the RS5 would run the equivalent power/performance to match the M3 (i.e. weigh around 1600kgs, have approx 450hp and cost about £50K+). If Audi went your route we would be looking at an RS5 weighing 1750kgs, have 500hp and cost approx 70K.

I know what one I would prefer. ;)

Leadfoot
January 19th, 2009, 15:06
or would you say the m3 is a match for the s4, (would mean the s4 is better than the current rs4...)

I don't see the current RS4 to be that inferior to the M3, in many ways to out performs it and only in ideal conditions does the M3 stand any real chance against the M3.

I also don't agree that the S4 is better than the RS4, it may have a better chassis dynamics when equipped with the Sportdiff but it can't match the rest of the RS4's package.

Toto89
January 19th, 2009, 15:09

New RS4/5 won't be heavier than B7 RS4, that's for sure, and don't forget that RS4 and RS5 should get the same engine, as they are completely the same platform, '5 doesn't mean it is 'bigger' or higher positioned model than '4, it is the 2 door version, nothing more. And yes, if we see RS6, these things should have V8 biturbo, but NA high rev V8 is almost as powerful as the TT (at least in the production model). And RS4/5s are not as heavy and big cars like '6, so it doesn't need necessarily that kind of boost, a NA V8 with DSG will definitely outperform C63 and M3 and maybe even M6 (although it is not the aim). If Audi develop a new sportscar over the existing BMWs and Mercs' it will definitely be faster because they can test them as much as they want and finally they get it faster even with the same engine (and vice-versa).
Also don't forget that RS5 can be nose-heavy with V10 engine, which would be even worse.
Don't misunderstood me, as being an Audi fan, i would love to see ~470hp V8 biturbo under the bonnet with a massive 600nm of torque, but anyway else, it will be a great car, I'm sure!

audi_ch
January 19th, 2009, 15:15
I don't see the current RS4 to be that inferior to the M3, in many ways to out performs it and only in ideal conditions does the M3 stand any real chance against the M3.

I also don't agree that the S4 is better than the RS4, it may have a better chassis dynamics when equipped with the Sportdiff but it can't match the rest of the RS4's package.

your statement:

S version but as it's only the equviliant to a M/Sport in a BMW I can accept this but not in an RS version.

so if i understand you correct, s is for you equal to m, right,

and on this i do not agree.

Performance wise m3 is a bit quiker with is dkg than rs4,
(let the ring time beside m3 manuel 8.05, rs4 8.09)
But the m is the newer car.

Rs6 is a bit quicker than m5 (no ring time till now)
But as well the newer car.

and we still have the very nice amg models, witch the fast c63 amg..

audi_ch
January 19th, 2009, 15:27
New RS4/5 won't be heavier than B7 RS4, that's for sure, and don't forget that RS4 and RS5 should get the same engine, as they are completely the same platform, '5 doesn't mean it is 'bigger' or higher positioned model than '4, it is the 2 door version, nothing more. And yes, if we see RS6, these things should have V8 biturbo, but NA high rev V8 is almost as powerful as the TT (at least in the production model). And RS4/5s are not as heavy and big cars like '6, so it doesn't need necessarily that kind of boost, a NA V8 with DSG will definitely outperform C63 and M3 and maybe even M6 (although it is not the aim). If Audi develop a new sportscar over the existing BMWs and Mercs' it will definitely be faster because they can test them as much as they want and finally they get it faster even with the same engine (and vice-versa).
Also don't forget that RS5 can be nose-heavy with V10 engine, which would be even worse.
Don't misunderstood me, as being an Audi fan, i would love to see ~470hp V8 biturbo under the bonnet with a massive 600nm of torque, but anyway else, it will be a great car, I'm sure!

Due to my infos (i wrote rs5 is testing up in sweden right know by a friend of mine involved in the settings procedures)the rs5 v8 with 450 hp and about 460 nm na engine with dsg, performce slightly better than current rs4.

So please be realistic, it will be about the same as the merc C63 , but fare away from m6 and rs6.

Just you dont have wrong ideas.

All most the same wight to hp ratio as current R8 V8

Leadfoot
January 19th, 2009, 16:11
Due to my infos (i wrote rs5 is testing up in sweden right know by a friend of mine involved in the settings procedures)the rs5 v8 with 450 hp and about 460 nm na engine with dsg, performce slightly better than current rs4.

So please be realistic, it will be about the same as the merc C63 , but fare away from m6 and rs6.

Just you dont have wrong ideas.

All most the same wight to hp ratio as current R8 V8

I said the same thing in the other thread, there is no need to make it that much quicker than before, just a little bit better than the competition. For Audi to make the RS5 out perform the M6 would require an engine similar to the R8v10 and as that would push the price up and thus make the sale numbers much less you would have to be a fool to go down that route.

There is few cars which loss money as quickly as an M6, it's over priced and over rated and this is shown when it comes to selling them.

I think you will find that it might have a slightly better power to weight ratio than the R8v8 and will out perform it and the RS4 accordingly. I'm guessing a 0-100km/h of 4.2s and a 0-200km/h of 14.5s (officially), only this time it will match these figures. ;)

P.S.
I'm making a guess that the PTW of the RS5 will be approx 275~280hp per ton.

Leadfoot
January 19th, 2009, 16:15
your statement:

S version but as it's only the equviliant to a M/Sport in a BMW I can accept this but not in an RS version.

so if i understand you correct, s is for you equal to m, right,

and on this i do not agree.

I think you are either misunderstanding me when I say M/Sport or in Europe there isn't an equivalent. Let me explain, in the UK we have a 335i S/E and a 335i M/Sport which is equipped with sports suspension and full M/Sport body kit. This is how I see the S version in Audi.

Toto89
January 19th, 2009, 18:17
And if someone wants a car which beats the M6 doesn't necesarily want a RS5. One can choose RS6 Sedan or R8 V10 instead. Both faster (or at least as fast) and better alternative in every aspect.

artur777
January 19th, 2009, 20:09
And if someone wants a car which beats the M6 doesn't necesarily want a RS5. One can choose RS6 Sedan or R8 V10 instead. Both faster (or at least as fast) and better alternative in every aspect.

Dont forget about the price differences!
R8 V10 will cost much more... a level of 911 Turbo...

Leadfoot
January 19th, 2009, 21:33
Dont forget about the price differences!
R8 V10 will cost much more... a level of 911 Turbo...

Agreed but then again one is a supercar, the other has near supercar acceleration but the rest of the car falls well short of even a good sportscar never mind a supercar.

At this level price doesn't really come into it.

LittleDevil
January 19th, 2009, 21:57
Did you ever saw that file it if from 1.5.2008 and all data is correct for S4, R8 V10....etc

It look like that RS5 will be 4.2FSI 331KW (450HP)

http://www.shrani.si/f/V/GQ/3vB2IIFZ/audi.xls

Best Regards

AndyBG
January 20th, 2009, 00:15
Maybe RS 5 will have simillar destiny of the S5... First it will be launched with N/A 4.2, and than by the time for new RS 4 comes, it will recieve RS 4s engine... (3.0 T or 4.0 T...)

Bogdan
January 20th, 2009, 07:10
From what I can hear in that RS5 test, that car doesn't have a V8 NA: it's a 3.0 supercharged or turbocharged or a V8 supercarged. That is not the sound of big V8 NA. And, also, that movie doesn't tell us that test mule has the final engine. Maybe it's just another test, with an engine that will never make it to production. They still have time to choose the right one, my bet there are at least 2 different engines testing at the same time for the RS5.

HKS786
January 20th, 2009, 11:50
Did you ever saw that file it if from 1.5.2008 and all data is correct for S4, R8 V10....etc

It look like that RS5 will be 4.2FSI 331KW (450HP)

http://www.shrani.si/f/V/GQ/3vB2IIFZ/audi.xls

Best Regards

Can anyone else verify the info?

I looked at it and it has 3 books inside. It even mentions things like the new Z4, CLK, 7 Series etc and looks accurate. From an Audi point of view, it mentions the S4, S5 (with 3.0TFSi), R8 V10 etc.

The interesting thing is that in 2009 we should be seeing: A4 Allroad, A7 Sportback, R8 V10, Q7 facelift, A5 Sportback, S5 Cabriolet, new A8.

We have already seen most of these in testing! The only one I cant remember seeing is the Q7 facelift and A5 Sportback.

AndyBG
January 20th, 2009, 19:01
I think that data is very acurate...

Rage
January 20th, 2009, 20:21
What i heard but cant confirme further rs models wouldnt have the bigger/wider wheel arches as known so far, due to aditional cost.

Real shame. The more I think about it the more im inclined to pick up a used M3/M6 for ~£35k.

Michaël Barbé
January 20th, 2009, 20:56
Real shame. The more I think about it the more im inclined to pick up a used M3/M6 for ~£35k.

The car is not even out yet and you're given it the worst you can:boring:

These are still speculations and even if they are right, we still don't know what the final result will be. So relax :cool2: .

MB

tvrfan
January 21st, 2009, 10:21

cool down. iam 100% sure that this will never happen.

HKS786
January 21st, 2009, 10:34

Used M3 prices are great actually, and I agree with you there.

Just wait for the RS5 though. Look at the RS4, RS6, TT-S, S4, R8 V10...all great models. I think the RS6 and S4 could have better designs but thats all really. So there's no way Audi are going to put a half-effort into their next high performer!

Also, look at how mean the front bumper of RS5 test cars is. I doubt the rest of the car will look anything less than aggressive ;)

Rage
January 21st, 2009, 21:01
The car is not even out yet and you're given it the worst you can:boring:

These are still speculations and even if they are right, we still don't know what the final result will be. So relax :cool2: .

MB

You misunderstand me friend. Considering the current economic climate im questioning if it is wise for me to spend £60k on a new car when I can get virtually all the performance (minus awd) for £35k with a used (but virtually new) M3 or M6.

I joined this forum in Sept '07 shortky after putting a deposit down for an RS5 and am still waiting. I just think Honda pulling out of F1/NSX, BMW cancelling CSL and automotive attitudes shifting away from the HP wars and concentrating on green technologies, emissions and cost cutting will the RS5 be the same sports car it could have been had the HP/performance wars continued?

Reusing the 4.2 engine, No flender flares, No evidence of an attempt at weight reduction. I think the RS5 will in all likelihood match or slightly improve upon the M3 (as the e92 M3 did with the RS4). I doubt it will be the quantum leap the RS4 was over the E46 M3.

QuattroFun
January 21st, 2009, 21:46
FWIW, I think the price issue is very valid - a little used M3 is in likelihood nearly as good as the upcoming RS5, but a lot cheaper in these recessionary times.

As regards the RS5, it is too early to tell but I think signs are reasonable overall. An updated 8700rpm 450PS NA V8 and DSG in the new MLP platform sounds good to me and the sport diff will be very useful indeed in dialling out understeer. However, weight will be a problem for sure - merely add DSG + Sport diff to S5 manual and you hit 1800kg including fluids even before considering suspension and brake upgrades. Changing a few body panels to aluminium will do very little. The looks are growing on me, though. I love the flared wheel arches in my RS4, but they are also there for a reason: 37-47mm wider tracks front-back. In contrast, the S5 has a very wide track to start with and flared wheel arches just for the sake of it is not at least my idea of elegant styling but rather more rice boy/tuner stuff. But lets wait and see...

RXBG
January 21st, 2009, 23:08
don't know guys. the RS5 will def have flared arches. maybe some CF and more alum. combined that with a substantially reengineered all aluminium engine and you could see sig weight savings (sport seats included). with DSG expect it to make real world 0-60 times of 4.1 secs if that is the case. i suspect the V8 R8 performance numbers will go down that much more.

some errors too. the 4.2 R8 spider is labeled at 525 hp. interestingly there is NO R8 V8 coupe on there. and there is no mention of a TT RS!!!!!

tvrfan
January 22nd, 2009, 09:46
don't know guys. the RS5 will def have flared arches. maybe some CF and more alum. combined that with a substantially reengineered all aluminium engine and you could see sig weight savings (sport seats included). with DSG expect it to make real world 0-60 times of 4.1 secs if that is the case. i suspect the V8 R8 performance numbers will go down that much more.

some errors too. the 4.2 R8 spider is labeled at 525 hp. interestingly there is NO R8 V8 coupe on there. and there is no mention of a TT RS!!!!!

what there will be a 4.2l R8 with 525 hp and the new 5.2 V10 R8 with 525 hp

whats that shit??? :eye: :w:

HKS786
January 22nd, 2009, 10:19
what there will be a 4.2l R8 with 525 hp and the new 5.2 V10 R8 with 525 hp

whats that shit??? :eye: :w:

Relax it'll just be a typing error ;) Also, the 4.2 coupe is not there because it has already been released. This document is showing upcoming models. At the time it was printed the hadnt seen the 5.2 Coupe. Now we still have to see the Spyder version of 4.2 and 5.2.

Leadfoot
January 22nd, 2009, 13:43
I'm still hoping that the RS5 will look similar to the images in CAR magazine. That has to be the best looking photoshops to date.

I don't care that they got the engine specs wrong as long as they got the looks correct.

AndyBG
January 23rd, 2009, 03:06
Is this new...? Article saying V10..., I doubt that.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/19/video-audi-rs5-at-the-nurburgring-is-bose-thats-german-for/

Bogdan
January 23rd, 2009, 06:44
If you think the previous RS4 sheared it's engine with the R8, they might have a good point, since the R8 V10 is already out to have the RS5 with the same V10 engine. Now, tell what you want, but that will really be something special in my book and will take everyone by surprise. GOOOO QUATTRO!!!

AndyBG
January 23rd, 2009, 11:34
I think that V10 is out of question, due to a relations with BMW and Merc'...

Leadfoot
January 23rd, 2009, 18:18
According to the guy who is very kind to pass some info my way he assures me that the engine sounds we are hearing is a high revving V8. So maybe the reason the induction noise is so similar to the Gallardo is because the two engines are basically the same minus a couple of cylinders.

MR USER
January 23rd, 2009, 19:10

I did say it... it's math!!! on the other hand in the video it does sound exactly like the RS4 when the recording is taken from the front... The aspiration sound and note are the same as my car... the exhaust note on the other hand.... that is really different.... So I do believe that is the RS4 v8 with different sound and possibly more power.... but I really pray that I'm wrong and it's a V10!!!

The Pretender
January 23rd, 2009, 22:47
By putting a V10 in the RS5, it will kill all the chassis developing work.
And it will corners like sh#t as the new RS6 do.

Jarod.

artur777
January 23rd, 2009, 23:15
Of course, you are right!
No V10 or V10TT in RS5...

V8TT or V8 NA is the way to go...
V6TT or V6SC is way too small and completely new technology.

RS5 will be a good car, but it will be an evolution to RS4 B7 in terms of performance... not a revolution IMHO

Leadfoot
January 24th, 2009, 10:42
Of course, you are right!
No V10 or V10TT in RS5...

V8TT or V8 NA is the way to go...
V6TT or V6SC is way too small and completely new technology.

RS5 will be a good car, but it will be an evolution to RS4 B7 in terms of performance... not a revolution IMHO

Maybe not a revolution but with everything we have seen from the new S4 when you combine Quattro's unquestionable skill with all the new technology (S/Tronic, Quattro3 and MLP) then it's perfectly acceptable to expect a vast improvement over the B7 RS4. Enough to move it ahead of the M3 again and thus once again top dog and número uno.

artur777
January 24th, 2009, 11:51
Maybe not a revolution but with everything we have seen from the new S4 when you combine Quattro's unquestionable skill with all the new technology (S/Tronic, Quattro3 and MLP) then it's perfectly acceptable to expect a vast improvement over the B7 RS4. Enough to move it ahead of the M3 again and thus once again top dog and número uno.

Agree with you
About the engine - look at the 911 and GTR - they are 6 cylinders.
So RS5 could be with 6 cylinders as well.

Leadfoot
January 24th, 2009, 17:54
Agree with you

I have 100% faith in the info I have been given so for me at least there is no need in further discussions on this subject ......................... or is there. ;)

Z07
January 25th, 2009, 18:54
Agree with you
Didn't sound like 6 cylinders in the video. From the sound I'd guess a V8. Sounded pretty similar to the 4.2 RS6.

stevy-RS6-V10
January 25th, 2009, 20:06
sounds like a V8 to me, V10 wont fit i think.

Leadfoot
January 25th, 2009, 20:35
What do the rest of you reckon the acceleration figures will be for the RS5, if it gets an improved version of the 4.2FSi engine with 450hp and about 460~470Nm.

I guessing that this time Audi will offer LC with the S/Tronic so I personally think that the 100km/h, 160km/h and 200km/h figures will be 4.2s, 9.4-9.6s and 14.5-14.7s respectively. ;)

stevy-RS6-V10
January 25th, 2009, 20:42
What do the rest of you reckon the acceleration figures will be for the RS5, if it gets an improved version of the 4.2FSi engine with 450hp and about 460~470Nm.

I guessing that this time Audi will offer LC with the S/Tronic so I personally think that the 100km/h, 160km/h and 200km/h figures will be 4.2s, 9.4-9.6s and 14.5-14.7s respectively. ;)

on the dutch forms they are writing its a : 450 pk sterke twin-turbo 4,2 liter V8
so the V8 turbo.

more movies here: http://www.autoblog.nl/archive/2009/01/15/audi-rs5-workout-video-op-de-nurburgring#post-18304

stevy-RS6-V10
January 25th, 2009, 20:47
more info: http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/news/erwischt-audi-rs5-697255.html

V8 high RPM engine 450PK@8000 with modified S-Tronic, maybe like V8 RS4 engine

AndyBG
January 25th, 2009, 21:03
It looks like we expected something like that...

LittleDevil
January 25th, 2009, 21:09
I hope for manual option too. And if it will be twin-turbo, there is alot of potencial about tuning engine.

AndyBG
January 25th, 2009, 21:19
As time pass, I think we are more far away from any forced induction engine. 4.2 N/A will be the way to go...

The Pretender
January 25th, 2009, 22:16
As time pass, I think we are more far away from any forced induction engine. 4.2 N/A will be the way to go...
If it will be N/A then a tuned S4 will be faster.

Jarod.

AndyBG
January 25th, 2009, 22:28
Same story as with BMW... 335i is more ''potent'' than M3... I would like to see Audi not making same ''mistake'', but will see.

stevy-RS6-V10
January 25th, 2009, 22:36
Same story as with BMW... 335i is more ''potent'' than M3... I would like to see Audi not making same ''mistake'', but will see.

think about a 4.2 TDI engine in a Audi A6 2008. chiptune it and you will outrun a S6 v10 :wo: BMW have the 535d, audi only the 3.0 tdi in the a6:vgrumpy:

AndyBG
January 25th, 2009, 22:42
think about a 4.2 TDI engine in a Audi A6 2008. chiptune it and you will outrun a S6 v10 :wo: BMW have the 535d, audi only the 3.0 tdi in the a6:vgrumpy:

You think that 4.2 TDI will find way into A6...?

I didn't heard about that. We are going ''off topic'' little bit here. :)

Bogdan
January 26th, 2009, 07:28
I did see the specs for the new 4.4 bi-turbo BMW engine in the new 7 series. Is the engine that they say will be for the new M5 also. What was very interesting, the CO2 level was 260-270. Thinking that the RS4 has 322, I think the only way Audi can achive high performance with EURO5 emissions and good CO2 levels is to put the twin turbo to the 4.0 engine. So, I'm still thinking RS5 will be bi-turbo. Mr Reil also said that SC is for more comfortable power delivery evry day use cars like the S4 , were for top performance and feeling there will always be turbo for RS cars. Keeping fingers crossed. The only reason for Quattro not to come with the new 4.0 bi-turbo on the RS5 would be financial reasons at this time, keeping the costs low (use RS4 engine with some twicks instead of a hole new engine) which in my oppinion would me a big mistake. But I think their marketing division knows best

Michaël Barbé
January 26th, 2009, 07:52
Oh you guys love to speculate:hihi: It keeps the forum alive. I, on the other hand, have got the patience to wait and see what Audi serves up for us... NOT

No, the RS5 can come now, we've had a load of patience here:w:

Makes it more exciting though:incar:

MB

AndyBG
January 26th, 2009, 11:01
I think that Audi will be ''buying'' time with RS 5. N/A engines are ''ting of past'', and and this is last chance for them to use one in some car, and get several years before they got stuck only with forced induction and hybrid engines.

stevy-RS6-V10
January 26th, 2009, 14:55
You think that 4.2 TDI will find way into A6...?

I didn't heard about that. We are going ''off topic'' little bit here. :)
\
no i mean, image it. Of course it would not happen, yet. not yet.