PDA

View Full Version : steering noise and weird clunk at full steering

psalm23and24
January 12th, 2009, 13:40
Hello Audians,
New to this board. Just took delivery of 09 R8 (100-miles). Great great car. Review and pix to come when sun comes out later this week. But the car has this clunk and a feeling that the tires are about to fall off when making a U-turn or steering is fulling turned. It also has this "weird" slipping and "gliding" movement going through corners which I believe is related to the weird noise/action during u-turn or full steering at parking lot speeds. If you turn the steering all the way at stand-still or slow speeds, the clunk is very noticeable and scary. Kinda got me concerned. Unfortunately, my dealer is 700-miles away and they are the worst dealer I have dealt with in 20-years of buying high-performance cars. Any suggestions, solutions, experience will be appreciated.

RXBG
January 12th, 2009, 14:02
sounds like normal behavior. the tires are very wide and when cold can behave thus at very slow parking lot speeds. if this is occurring at speeds over 10 mph better have dealer inspect tires.

jasaretta
January 12th, 2009, 14:56
Have to agree with RXBG

KfabR8
January 14th, 2009, 01:33
The PS2's on mine do it even more than the slug P-Zeros that came on the car.

First gear crawl at full lock sounds horrid and you can feel the front wheels grab/release the tarmac.

It's all normal and takes a bit of time to get used to.

Congrats on the new car, btw.

Dealer is 700 miles away? There should be an Audi dealer much closer. Look in your navigation and it will find the closest dealer to you.

If you are not happy w/the present dealer, then by all means, find another. Just because you purchased a vehicle from one place does not mean you have to use it. Find a dealer that you like and that treats you in a manner that suits you. (unless you're a pretentious arse).

psalm23and24
January 14th, 2009, 02:08
Come on KfabR8 (http://rs6.com/forum/member.php?u=6277), far from vanity. But I appreciate your input and everyone else's. It is a fabulous car. My first 10-miles was NOT pleasant.....don't ask me why I didn't like the car in the first 10-miles, but I didn't. Had an E55, now an M5. Have a 997 GT3.
Believe it or not, the first and second gear exhaust/engine note is what I like the most about the car, followed by its fluid motions. Contrary to most people, I think the looks are so-so..........great at times but it lacks the cohesive proportions of a F430 or the "oh-so-sweet" lines of a grand Turismo, but not bad, but not the rave it is made out to be in looks. However, it is a rave as a total package. The GT3 beats it in slow-speed steering, sensation-of-grip-and-solidity, and manual transmission gear-lever action (the car's weakest area to me). I think it is plenty fast, even if not a drag-racer, but then again though I like speed, I am more about tactile feel and overall sensory satisfaction more than I am about being the fastest guy on the road.
Only driven it thrice (100-miles) so much more to experience and report back. But the Audi R8 is a great car as an overall package and a fantastic halo automobile for owners and Audi alike. Cheerios.

KfabR8
January 14th, 2009, 12:27
Just for the record, I was not calling you pretentious and I hope you were not taking it that way. (:

It was a general blanket statement, as there are few(er) people that can afford these wonderful machines and for some reason there's an air or attitude that can (tends to?) accompany them.

I have fun poking at these people, as I'm an onry, smart ass, but I'd give the shirt off my back to just about anyone. I apologize if you thought I was saying that about you.

The more you drive your R8, the more you'll appreciate it. It's a wonderful, fun machine and I hope that all who owns one enjoys their car as much as I enjoy mine. Hands down the most fun vehicle I've ever owned - even more so than my class 10 desert race car.

psalm23and24
January 14th, 2009, 13:23
no at all. i didnt think you meant any harm. im light hearted enough. peace