PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky Brakes

spgprivate
January 8th, 2009, 18:04
Hope someone has some advice.

2 month ago took my C5 into the local dealer under warranty to check out my brakes which were squeaking. Only had the car about 1 month.

Cleaned the front brakes, said the pads were rippled and if problem returns likely need new front pads. Discs OK.

Took back today and when car returned they have now said front all ok, rear discs will need replacing soon and these are now the likely cause of the squeaking. They were unable to replicate the noise today but 10mins after returning to me I was out and guess what, loud as ever.

Not sure what or who to believe ? any tests or check I can do simply to see which way to go ?

Simon:rs6kiss:

HeadShot
January 8th, 2009, 18:38
The RS6 is big on the squeaky brakes... thats kind of the trade mark LOL. I remember when i first got mine at 15miles.. same thing, but reading all the posts on here and else where (search) its totally normal - sure check to make sure there are no problems but after that get used to it.. there big brakes and do a nice job - and needed to back up the power you have under your right foot if that helps :) Happy ending - with another 4Kmiles on it i don't here that noise anymore, maybe i got used to it, maybe it stopped, maybe i brake later harder instead of dragging the brake up to the line.. anyway there's hope for ya. Hope you enjoy the car as much as we all do.
H.S

hahnmgh63
January 8th, 2009, 21:18
Sqeaky brakes is a OEM pad trademark. I have no problem with squeaks with my EBC pads. I think others have had the same experience. This thread has been repeated every 6 months or so.

spgprivate
January 9th, 2009, 08:38
Thanks. I will look to replace with non OEM as son as needed.

ps. 5months now owning and still have that 'new car' feeling and excitment ever time Im about to go out ! WoW.

Si.

DuckWingDuck
January 9th, 2009, 19:08
ya, squeaky brakes come with the territory. I'm lukewarm on the EBCs as we had to dremel the hell out of it to make the pads fit the brakes but no squeaking and much less dusting thus far!

Copper
January 9th, 2009, 20:58
Have you tried bedding the brakes? Works for me when the start singing.

Yellow RS6
January 9th, 2009, 21:10
ya, squeaky brakes come with the territory.

Glad to hear that. Mine started getting real noisy about a month ago and I was getting mad because this beast got new pads and rotors just 7k miles ago. But it went away after I cleaned my wheels. They're getting noisy again, and my wheels are really dirty again, so there seems to be a connection. I had heard that excess brake dust could make your brakes squeaky, but mine get flat-out loud! I'm going to wash it this weekend and see if the noise goes away again.

DuckWingDuck
January 9th, 2009, 21:34
try to brake a little hard and generate a bit of heat, that may help a bit.

spgprivate
January 10th, 2009, 22:50
Ive had the pads off and cleaned, make a difference for a while but as you say as soon as they get a little more worn/dirty, the noise returns.

When I can I will replace stock with something a little more suitable, see if theres an improvement.:rs6kiss:

Think they are better the hotter they are.

Si