PDA

View Full Version : Overkill Indy???

Holiday
January 6th, 2009, 03:14
Gents,

My RS6 started overheating last Friday which of course made for an immediate trip to my local Audi Indy shop, Lusti Motors. They have an excellent reputation in town, and I've had nothing but positive experiences with them since day one.
They've diagnosed the problem to be the thermostat and tell me that it's 7.5 hours of labor to repair it- fine, Fidelity is happy to cover it. However, they literally INSIST on changing out the timing belt, and strongly recommend a water pump change while they're in there. The car has 42,000 miles and had it's 35k service completed on time. A new timing belt was installed at the 35k mile service! Despite this blatent logic, the service advisor tells me that he insists on doing the job, or won't touch the car otherwise.
I realize that a fresh timing belt and water pump are always NICE to have, but is it really worth the quoted $960??

Thanks!

DHall1
January 6th, 2009, 05:38
Sorry for your problems. Was the thermostat stuck closed? Hmmm

As far as the TB and WP. Listen, these items are covered by your Fidelity policy. Have Fidelity pay for the items if its so important. I can see maybe the waterpump because there is some question on the overheating. But, unless there is antifreeze spilled on the timing belt. There is nothing wrong with it.

What are the quoted prices to get you to 960 dollars. Price out each item please

Gents,

My RS6 started overheating last Friday which of course made for an immediate trip to my local Audi Indy shop, Lusti Motors. They have an excellent reputation in town, and I've had nothing but positive experiences with them since day one.
They've diagnosed the problem to be the thermostat and tell me that it's 7.5 hours of labor to repair it- fine, Fidelity is happy to cover it. However, they literally INSIST on changing out the timing belt, and strongly recommend a water pump change while they're in there. The car has 42,000 miles and had it's 35k service completed on time. A new timing belt was installed at the 35k mile service! Despite this blatent logic, the service advisor tells me that he insists on doing the job, or won't touch the car otherwise.
I realize that a fresh timing belt and water pump are always NICE to have, but is it really worth the quoted $960??

Thanks!

Holiday
January 6th, 2009, 17:45
Dhall- Thanks for the sympathy. Here's a pricing breakdown:

Timing belt kit- $330
Tensioners- $218
Water pump- $230
2hrs. labor- $184

I wouldn't mind changing out the water pump for the same reasons you mentioned, but the timing belt is just a waste of money it seems...

DHall1
January 6th, 2009, 17:51
I know you dont want to piss off the people that are going to work on your car.

But, how old is the timing belt in the car? I know you said 35k. But how long ago? Also, were the tensioners replaced at that time?

I go back to my first gut feeling on this. Unless some fluids have damaged the belt or unless your not supposed to use the belt twice. (please check on that ??) There is no need to replace the belt.

BTW, what exactly is in the timing belt kit??

Make Fidelity pay for these items. The timing belt is covered as is the wp.

The added prices look reasonable and they are not trying to screw you but the costs do add up.

Dhall- Thanks for the sympathy. Here's a pricing breakdown:

Timing belt kit- $330
Tensioners- $218
Water pump- $230
2hrs. labor- $184

I wouldn't mind changing out the water pump for the same reasons you mentioned, but the timing belt is just a waste of money it seems...

DuckWingDuck
January 6th, 2009, 20:52
It's standard per the maintenance booklet to replace the timing belt at 35K but for a dealership to refuse to service a car simply because the customer doesn't want to replace it seems a bit out of hand. I'm assuming the belt is still tight and not half loose...

DHall1
January 7th, 2009, 00:34
Greg,

Happy New Year! Where ya been?

The problem above is that the timing belt is only 7k miles old and the dealer wants to replace it while they are changing the thermostat.

It's standard per the maintenance booklet to replace the timing belt at 35K but for a dealership to refuse to service a car simply because the customer doesn't want to replace it seems a bit out of hand. I'm assuming the belt is still tight and not half loose...

HeadShot
January 7th, 2009, 16:03
I'm sure this isn't the case here but the belt should be replaced every 3 yrs even if the car was parked the whole time as the belt is aging - right??? So time is in some case the reason for a belt change - Mine had to be done at 15,000 (3 yrs on it)
Best regards ..

DHall1
January 7th, 2009, 17:14
There is alot of misinformation out there as to the service points on the Timing Belt.

Can anyone show me an official updated report on time and mileage to replace the RS6 Timing belt?

3yrs is a bit extreme. If that is the case, why wasnt Audi replacing all the timing belts on low mileage RS6s before the 4yr factory warranty on service expired.

I'm sure this isn't the case here but the belt should be replaced every 3 yrs even if the car was parked the whole time as the belt is aging - right??? So time is in some case the reason for a belt change - Mine had to be done at 15,000 (3 yrs on it)
Best regards ..

HeadShot
January 7th, 2009, 17:52
There are several examples where time overrules miles - more pronounced on exoctics as they jsut don't get the miles on them to reach there service intervils in most cases and time becomes the servicing factor. Rubber will perish, oil will break down etc.
Ofcourse this may not be the case with the timing belt on the RS6 - my only knowledge of this was the dealer who did my first service after i bought her at 15K stating the 3yr rule and doing a full 35k servive ( prehaps to keep on there warranty schedual??? although when i questioned the timing belt he said that it had to be changed at 3yrs... so... Srry that si not so helpful i guess, I'd love to know for sure. Maybe Grizz can shed some light on things??

Holiday
January 7th, 2009, 18:55
Well, call me easy but I decided to fold and let the Indy replace the timing belt, water pump, and extra tensioners. I'd rather be safe than sorry I suppose. Besides that, I've probably blown $960 on a lot worse...;)

BTW, did you know that the RS6 steering wheel emblem or "patch" as it's called is $61 to replace!? Ridiculous, but did I buy one?....of course!:doh:

mmaturo
January 7th, 2009, 21:24
There is alot of misinformation out there as to the service points on the Timing Belt.

Can anyone show me an official updated report on time and mileage to replace the RS6 Timing belt?

3yrs is a bit extreme. If that is the case, why wasnt Audi replacing all the timing belts on low mileage RS6s before the 4yr factory warranty on service expired.

it was up to the owners to be smart enough to go do it. Audi isn't going to blow their money doing anything extra under the service agreement as we well know.

Holiday
January 7th, 2009, 21:38
UPDATE:

Just got off the phone with my service advisor and he had some stellar news- after uncovering the water pump, they found that it was leaking...great! Fidelity will now cover the pump! He placed the call to Fidelity and after explaining his findings, they agreed to cover not only the water pump, but also the timing belt! The only thing they passed on was the extra $200 tensioner- no prob.
SO, still no answer as to whether Audi recommends replacement of the timing belt once it's removed, but I can say that Fidelity seems to think it's not a bad idea after all.....FWIW. Thanks for your suggestion about Fidelity covering the above, Dhall!

Very impressive performance from Fidelity today; to the point that I just placed a phone call about extending my warranty out to 115,000 miles:bigeyes:
Right at $4k for 29k miles of Gold Plus coverage during a critical mileage phase- 85,000 to 114,000. Hell, my current warranty just paid for itself nearly twice over! Can't imagine how handy it might end up being with high miles. Got an itchy trigger finger, but I'll let you know what I decide. All in all, good news.:thumb:

DuckWingDuck
January 7th, 2009, 22:44
Holiday, great to hear about Fidelity solving your problem. I see that you're in SD. I'm in town for a few weeks, we should try to convene for another SoCal get together.

Dave, happy new year to you too my friend, been swamped with work and been constantly in the air the past few weeks so haven't had time to check in! Hopefully in the new year things will slow down a bit. Heh.

DHall1
January 7th, 2009, 23:40
Exactly! I love it when a plan comes through. Congrats

I also have a Fidelity policy that covers me to 10/2014 and 100k miles. You can bet when the time or times come....I will be hot on the Fidelity trail to collect my rewards.

I say extend that warranty up to 115k. Keep the :rs6kiss:

UPDATE:

Just got off the phone with my service advisor and he had some stellar news- after uncovering the water pump, they found that it was leaking...great! Fidelity will now cover the pump! He placed the call to Fidelity and after explaining his findings, they agreed to cover not only the water pump, but also the timing belt! The only thing they passed on was the extra $200 tensioner- no prob.
SO, still no answer as to whether Audi recommends replacement of the timing belt once it's removed, but I can say that Fidelity seems to think it's not a bad idea after all.....FWIW. Thanks for your suggestion about Fidelity covering the above, Dhall!

Very impressive performance from Fidelity today; to the point that I just placed a phone call about extending my warranty out to 115,000 miles:bigeyes:
Right at $4k for 29k miles of Gold Plus coverage during a critical mileage phase- 85,000 to 114,000. Hell, my current warranty just paid for itself nearly twice over! Can't imagine how handy it might end up being with high miles. Got an itchy trigger finger, but I'll let you know what I decide. All in all, good news.:thumb:

DHall1
January 8th, 2009, 22:27
I just wanted to do alittle research on this first and had remembered having an official Audi USA maint template for the RS6 only.

Got it, I did have the document.

It says. Simply mileage intervals for specific service points to be performed. Nothing at all for time limits. I suspect these time limits are a factor of greedy independent dealers looking for added revenue. (nothing new been around since the dawn of time)

5k, 15k, 25k, 35k, 45k....ect.

Only time component placed on two things. 1. Brake fluid 2. Airbag assm.

Thats all gang. 15 page report from AOA written only for the RS6. (Anyone care to host this document for me and we can put up a sticky along with the RS6 training document??)

Lastly, I think Dr Mike is rubbing off on me. I was in a local Phoenix Audi dealer a couple weeks ago. I asked a service writer monkey 1 question. "What do you charge for a timing belt install on the RS6?" He proceeded to start asking additional questions....how many miles on the car? 28k....then says to me....well, you need to perform the 35k maint because of time and it does...this, that, and the other and will cost $4,000 dollars. Listen there young whipper snapper, I was building 600hp Big Block Chevys for my street car when you were still in diapers. (I did have a 600hp street car back in the day. 12.5:1 compression on a L88 Chevy. Would smoke 14x32in street tires just driving down the road at 35mph if you floored it. Kinda scary but fun) I asked you a simple question not a debate on time limits for the timing belt replacement. Well, he was not happy and went back to his corner. I proceeded with my parts visit and he does come back.

13hrs of labor to change the timing belt. YOU MUST BE KIDDING!!!!

Not only do these folks not read. They dont listen either.

End rant.

:mech: :argue: :idea:

Best regards ..

HeadShot
January 9th, 2009, 00:56
DH.. great research - all great information, thxs from all for your time there. I can stop sweating the timming belt swap in another yr.. have only put 7k on her since i got the beast!!! :cheers:

DHall1
January 9th, 2009, 03:54
Not a problem. I can fax you the document anytime. LMK

I just dont like the pressure tactics. I dont like the sales job.

DH.. great research - all great information, thxs from all for your time there. I can stop sweating the timming belt swap in another yr.. have only put 7k on her since i got the beast!!! :cheers:

DuckWingDuck
January 9th, 2009, 19:15
dave, i can host the file, email it to me