PDA

View Full Version : I needed a few extra switches...

HeadShot
January 3rd, 2009, 16:38
I needed a few extra switches.. this is what i came up with - will wire a cig plug in by the passangers seat. Also finishing a GPS housing for the Garmin 5000, will have two mounted just above the center vents. Will add some pics of that later today.
Why the extra switches?? For the GPS, mini cam on the passangers side for righthand lane checks - feed to one of the garmins. Nightvision cam - to be added later. Strobes, scanner, Radar detec. Door switches.. lights. (yeah it can close no problems- but only when the switch is off. So it isn't forgotten that my lights are out.

everything gets hard wired... so the cig plug is just for anything else i need down the road.
Will put a soft finish on the dash setup today and see how it looks. :mech:

Fonzie Audi
January 3rd, 2009, 17:13
interesting. i like the way those two look in the side drop out compartment.

HeadShot
January 3rd, 2009, 18:38
Here is the dash switch pannel with the soft cover - better i think, clean finish and not so shiney.
The GPS cover is still in the works.. i need to put some more bend in places but you get the idea, like i said there will be two units mounted there side by side. Once i'm happy with the shell it goes to a hook up i have for high end interiors.. he'll pad it up and match the finish - not sure if i'll go dash, leather with the pin stripe, and ofcourse the RS6 or audi logo.

For those interested i purchased the plastic from a company called TAP plastics
http://tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=169&PHPSESSID=1221157dbd9f268d8de8eada80ad1f2e
ABS plastic sheet and the bender. Can cut the material with sheel metal cutters and shape with some files. Too easy.

So yeah, a work in progress - the wires will be out of sight etc but wanted to show ya the rough as i go along.

Aronis
January 3rd, 2009, 18:57
You know, it's sort of like going to Ikea to buy some bargain furniture.

Sure the box of parts is cheap, but after spending your free time buiding the Ikea furniture you've spent enough time that you could have purchased top of the line from Ethan Allan and had it DELIVERED!!!!

Unless the Garman was free, you could have installed the Nav headunit for about $2500...

Nice work so far, look forward to seeing the finished product.

Did you consider an In-Visor video display (they have DVD units that are in over head visors (drivers and passengers side) with input for outside video source.)

Mike

HeadShot
January 3rd, 2009, 19:12
i tried a monitor up there but its not a great position for one.. you have to move focus drasticlly - very uncomfortable on the eye unless your just backing up. I wanted it keep it up as close to my field of vision as possible - wanted GPS and a monitor at the same time, and something that was original, p[ractical and did not damage my dash etc.. it will all be velcroed down. Besides its fun to make one off's, when people think the finished product is a factory fit youv'e done a good job lol.
Thnxs for the input, should be all finshed up less the wireing in a few weeks.

snoopra
January 3rd, 2009, 22:23
Me Likey:thumb:

MikeL01
January 3rd, 2009, 22:24
The engineer in me likes the effort. After the KW's are installed, the NAV head unit sounds like the next project.

snoopra
January 3rd, 2009, 23:07
For those interested i purchased the plastic from a company called TAP plastics
http://tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=169&PHPSESSID=1221157dbd9f268d8de8eada80ad1f2e
ABS plastic sheet and the bender. Can cut the material with sheel metal cutters and shape with some files. Too easy.
Thanks for the link, was trying to build a custom boost gauge/trans temp gauge pod over the dash vent next to the instrument panel. This WILL make it even easier.

RS6-4dr911
January 3rd, 2009, 23:44
Your work is clearly creative, original and high quality, but frankly not my cup'o'tea. Just curious why, if factory look is your goal, you didn't buy factory push buttons for your ashtray insert?

Any further data from your hood vents?

What level of commitment (pre-paid orders) would it take to get you to make a run of fiberglass splitters and what might they run per pair?

HeadShot
January 4th, 2009, 01:29
Factory inserts were always going to be way more hassel than i was ready for.. i wanted positive flips (used to fly and just like that connection) As for the lip spoilers..I am running KW's now but need to lift the front, maybe two turns more from when shipped - scrapped my spoilers on this low setting for the first time so will have them off to touch up/ with my new job, week on- week off start =ing in Feb and many interested in the spoilers i'll have the time to sort out a run of maybe 10 sets. Cost - not sure.. will see what i'm charged, not really interested in profits, would be nice to know my wrk is out there. I have mine screwed on from the back so i can get em off to mold etc. but ya need to pull the bumper to get to the screws. Would everyone be happy with adhivesive or 3m tape??? That would save trying to do a delron plug inlay like my set.

Will let all know after Feb.
Thnks for the input. The pics don't do the panel justice.. those switches match the interior really quite well - i showed a buddy who sat there 3 minutes just working out what the hell he was ment to be looking at lol.

got boost
January 4th, 2009, 02:13
Nicely done!!!!!!!!

Call me crazy, but it sounds like you are getting ready to break a speed record on a "coast to coast" run. Dont forget a brake-light kill switch and laser jamming.

Ive actually thought about similar mods. What scanner are you gonna go with? perhaps a glove box mount?

thanks for pics!

:cheers:

DHall1
January 4th, 2009, 02:17
Those switches in the door are so James Bond.

I likey

Esp if they were hooked to a 150 shot of go juice. Doh

HeadShot
January 4th, 2009, 06:27
There is an extened fuel tank for the spare wheel well.. on the list.... as far as jammers - ...Jammers have ya smoked before ya can drop speed from 110... but an investment in metro traffic maybe. air support is a better investment. choose your locations, max air coverage and max speed to bring down the trip totals. If i were even thinking of such a thing... 2010 ish a shadow car would be a must. lol
interested CA pers... must be crazy LOL Remember an M5 holds the record!!

got boost
January 4th, 2009, 20:52
Haha, thats Awesome! an RS6 needs to take the title from an M5. Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt Alex going to do it again in an R8 this time?

I'd love to try it, not "Gumball style" with other knuckle-heads and stickers all over their cars, but maybe a half dozen sleeper cars. Low key.

I would worry more about deer, and the idiot that crosses into the left lane while passing nothing, than getting pulled over. So far, I dont know of any counter measures to these elements, maybe a cow-catcher?

-sorry for off-topic

:race:

Spidercat
January 6th, 2009, 02:21
many interested in the spoilers i'll have the time to sort out a run of maybe 10 sets. Cost - not sure.. will see what i'm charged, not really interested in profits, would be nice to know my wrk is out there. I have mine screwed on from the back so i can get em off to mold etc. but ya need to pull the bumper to get to the screws. Would everyone be happy with adhivesive or 3m tape??? That would save trying to do a delron plug inlay like my set.

Will let all know after Feb.
Still interested in the splitters. If adhesive would be that much easier to do, I don't have a problem with it. Let me known when and how much.

Does your car have look-down/shoot-down capability yet?

Yancy
June 8th, 2009, 03:34
There is an extened fuel tank for the spare wheel well.. on the list.... as far as jammers - ...Jammers have ya smoked before ya can drop speed from 110... but an investment in metro traffic maybe. air support is a better investment. choose your locations, max air coverage and max speed to bring down the trip totals. If i were even thinking of such a thing... 2010 ish a shadow car would be a must. lol
interested CA pers... must be crazy LOL Remember an M5 holds the record!!

Rock on. You have picked the right car.

How much fuel can you fit in the spare wheel well?

Where do you plan to mount the CB?

:cool2:

mmaturo
June 8th, 2009, 04:34
[QUOTE=Spidercat;149213]Still interested in the splitters. If adhesive would be that much easier to do, I don't have a problem with it. Let me known when and how much.

Me too. Like the splitters. Adhesive ok here.