PDA

View Full Version : No B8 RS4?

tvrfan
December 28th, 2008, 21:50
through this rumors there wont be a B8 RS4 :w: can someone destroy this rumor?
i hope thats not true!!!

This is a little bit old (august) if i remember right. but ive never heard of that.

...taken from motorauthority.com

When Audi released the RS4 in February 2005 nobody expected it to be a true competitor to BMW’s benchmark M3 coupe, but with the benefit of quattro all-wheel-drive, a boost in power, and better weight distribution, the performance sedan managed to upset its rivals. Audi has decided, however, to not produce a RS4 sedan this time around, and instead concentrate on a RS5 coupe, which is expected to debut in February next year in time for the 2009 Geneva Auto.

With the release of the new generation BMW M3 Coupe and sedan and the Mercedes C63 AMG, Audi will once again be playing catch-up but it does have a few tricks up its sleeves to ensure it will be the class-leader once again. One potential powertrain option is the same 4.2L V8 as the RS4, however power will be boosted to 450hp and it will likely get the option of Audi’s newly upgraded S-tronic dual-clutch gearbox along with a manual transmission. Other sources claim it may use a derivative of the V10 from the RS6, however this is likely to be too expensive for a car that will have to compete in price with its aforementioned German rivals.

The previous model was unable to use the dual-clutch gearbox because it was limited to just 320Nm, however the latest version of the gearbox can handle torque figures of up to 550Nm and engine speeds of 9,000rpm, which could allow the RS5 engine to rev even higher than the lofty 8300rpm in the old RS4.

Audi has been testing the new car in Death Valley, USA, and as these spy shots reveal, it will get a new front-end treatment compared to the rest of the A5 lineup. Like the RS4, expect the final production RS5 to be fitted with large fenders and an aggressive rear-end as well.

The Pretender
December 29th, 2008, 00:47
So far i understand it's Avant only.

Jarod.

54m
December 29th, 2008, 02:00
There isn't going to be a B8 RS4.

Looks like they've got enough on there hands with the upcoming RS5
however that's going to be one hell of a car! Cant wait for Audi to release
it.:D

Wonder what the future RS4 will be like think they'll dump the V8 and place a tweaked version on the S4's V6 or maybe a V10??:confused:

The Pretender
December 29th, 2008, 06:59
There isn't going to be a B8 RS4.

Looks like they've got enough on there hands with the upcoming RS5
however that's going to be one hell of a car! Cant wait for Audi to release
it.:D

Wonder what the future RS4 will be like think they'll dump the V8 and place a tweaked version on the S4's V6 or maybe a V10??:confused:
The RS5 will be noting more then a tweaked S5 with a new developed HDZ 4.2 V8 FSI engine in it.

Jarod.

artur777
December 29th, 2008, 08:29
The RS5 will be noting more then a tweaked S5 with a new developed HDZ 4.2 V8 FSI engine in it.

Jarod.

What is HDZ pls?

The Pretender
December 29th, 2008, 08:34
What is HDZ pls?
HDZ= HochDrehZahl (German) aka "High Rev".

Jarod.

Mr Balsen
December 29th, 2008, 08:36
new V8 to be used with new gearbox (7 speed DSG)...

Frederic

tvrfan
December 29th, 2008, 09:05
new V8 to be used with new gearbox (7 speed DSG)...

Frederic

new v8??? the rumored/secret 4.0 TFSI twin(bi) turbo with turbos mounted between the V? that would be more then nice ! i would be angry if it would be the 4.2 FSI engine from the RS4 with a power bumb. for me the engine is too old. the 4.0T twinturbo would be a dream.

So will be there a B8 RS4 sedan and B8 RS4 Avant??? please let me know

did i get it right, there wont be a B8 RS4 at this time beccause they got to much work on RS5, TT-RS usw.? but a B8 RS4 avant and sedan will definetly come later? 2010 or 2011 maybe?

Leadfoot
December 29th, 2008, 11:03
There has been rumours of a high revving version of the S5's 4.2L but it was only that, 'a rumour'. It doesn't sound as logical to keep the V8 in light of others deciding to downsize with smaller capacity + either turbo or supercharging to regain the lost power.

IF this is the new engine for the RS5 then when the RS4 does finally show it will probably run a different engine policy to the RS5. There is definitely a different policy running within both of these models, the very fact that Audi chose to give the S5 an proper automatic when the S4 was only launched a few months later with the S/Tronic it does appear to be the case.

With regards to the no saloon, I would say Audi will do something similar to that of the RS6, i.e. launch the Avant first and gauge sales before committing to a saloon version. Though with the successful reviews that the M3 saloon is getting (many magazines rating it the best model) I would be surprised if Audi don't decide to make a saloon RS4.

P.S.

I still believe the TT/RS will be the one to watch.

chewym
December 29th, 2008, 11:14
Looks like the RS5 (and B8 RS4) engine will be an updated version of the B7 RS4 engine.

I think Audi should make an RS4 because they can definitely sell an RS4. It would be a shame if there is no B8 RS4.

tvrfan
December 29th, 2008, 11:32
i really really hope there will be a B8 RS4 sedan and avant as well. and i also really hope it WONT get the an updated 4.2L version of the B7 RS4. because this engine is too old and outdated in my eyes. i want a fucking turbocharged car. so i would love to see the new 4.0 TFSI biturbo with turbos mounted between the V. couple of german car magazins stated that this engine is in develpoment.

HKS786
December 29th, 2008, 11:42
i really really hope there will be a B8 RS4 sedan and avant as well. and i also really hope it WONT get the an updated 4.2L version of the B7 RS4. because this engine is too old and outdated in my eyes. i want a fucking turbocharged car. so i would love to see the new 4.0 TFSI biturbo with turbos mounted between the V. couple of german car magazins stated that this engine is in develpoment.

In no way is that engine totally outdated IMO. It's still used in the R8. The engine is only one part of the picture. There's so many other things to consider. Never forget that the M3 is using a 4.0 V8 (NA) with 420bhp right now and look at the results. It's because of all the other components too.

Still though, I would like to see a turbocharged RS5, that would be great.

artur777
December 29th, 2008, 12:03
Fuel consumption of M3 is terrible because it's big NA V8...
V6 TT is much better in terms of economy as well as V8 TT of smaller dispalcement...

tvrfan
December 29th, 2008, 14:08
for me AUDI builds for a long time no more cars with the slogan " vorsprung durch technik" BMW overhauled AUDI there for a long time. AUDI has still no Diesel with the 335d to compete can. and now also still another revised B7 RS4 engine the sprit comes eats without ends in the RS5/B8 RS4. AUDI should have come there with a Biturbo engine or somewhat new. with "vorsprung durch technik" evenly. but if that it should come really in such a way then it is that for AUDI a clear backward step!!! also that with turbos between the cylinder banks has BMW AUDI fooled.

The Pretender
December 29th, 2008, 15:26
The new 4.2 V8 will be Gallardo LP560-4/R8 5.2 V10 FSI Based, making it a ± 450 hp engine @ 8000 revs.

Jarod.

tvrfan
December 29th, 2008, 15:43
but in which car will come the 4.0 TFSI biturbo with the turbos mounted between the V???? man i dont like to see a NA engine in the RS4 again =(. i will see the 4.0TFSI !!!

Mr Balsen
December 29th, 2008, 15:47
The new 4.2 V8 will be Gallardo LP560-4/R8 5.2 V10 FSI Based, making it a ± 450 hp engine @ 8000 revs.

Jarod.

my little finger heard the same last time he was at Ingolstadt...

Frederic

RXBG
December 29th, 2008, 15:59
my little finger heard the same last time he was at Ingolstadt...

Frederic

then i hope they can also make it more efficient. these are not the times for gas guzzling inefficient engines. even AMG is limiting its displacements and cylinder numbers. it had better use less MPG and produce more torque if it is going to make a measly 25 hp more than it makes now. otherwise it will not be enough for this day and age. remember that it will be going into a MY 2011 car.

i still would hope audi would make a TT V8 or maybe a twincharged V8 :hahahehe:

tvrfan
December 29th, 2008, 16:13
so does the B8 RS4 and RS5 getting the same engine or is for the RS5 a TT V8 possible?

ZeroCool
December 29th, 2008, 16:34
no. the RS5 is getting the V12 TDI ...

tvrfan
December 29th, 2008, 16:39
-.- hahaha. no seriously ?

ZeroCool
December 29th, 2008, 16:46
with my post above i just want to tell you - that nobody knows which engine will make it into the RS5

and if somebody knows - he/she won't tell it here ;)

so just wait some weeks/months and you will see it ;)

RXBG
December 29th, 2008, 17:41
RS4 and 5 by ALL INDICATIONS will have 8 cylinders. we just don't know if it will be N/A or force induced somehow.

tvrfan
December 29th, 2008, 18:08
RS4 and 5 by ALL INDICATIONS will have 8 cylinders. we just don't know if it will be N/A or force induced somehow.

but with different hp outputs right?

Phage
December 30th, 2008, 06:37

Why would they have different hp outputs. That makes no sense at all.

The Pretender
December 30th, 2008, 09:53
That is possible.
Look at the 3.2 V6 FSI in the past, same engine 3 kinds of output.

Jarod.

kju
December 30th, 2008, 17:06
i love the new S4 3.0 engine...

for the RS4 i think it will do a V8. But this is just a presumption.

tvrfan
December 30th, 2008, 18:05
i have a logic ^^

B7 RS4 NA high rev. vs. M3 E46 NA high rev.
B8 RS4 NA high rev. vs. M3 E90 NA high rev.
B9 RS4 4.0TFSI biturbo vs. M3 E.... V6 biturbo

so for next gen RS5 and next B9 RS4 there will be maybe the 4.0 TFSI biturbo engine ready (turbos mounted between the V).

mbolo
December 30th, 2008, 20:59
Spoke to my dealer today. He's saying B8 RS4 launch is May 2010. No word on the engine though, but he was very excited about the TTRS and the direction Audi were going there....

So, in short: :rs4addict :ttaddict:

Bogdan
January 4th, 2009, 09:11
In my oppinion, the logical step Audi will make is first come out with the RS5, whatever engine they will choose (hope V8 TT). I really don't think there will be an B8 RS4, as there wasn't a B6 RS4. They will first have a facelift- the B9 - and then there will the RS4 come out. That being arround 2010-2011, with EURO5 emission in place and the oil price, I am pretty much sure that the B9 RS4 wll get a 3.0 litre engine with a bigger supercharger than the S4 OR a twin-turbo on top, for max 450 hp. Don't forget the S5 is getting the same S4 3.0 TFSI engine coming next year, so, obviosly, the Audi policy is reduced displacement, lighter, better AWD and handling, low fuel cons. That's my 2 cents