PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY INSTALLED Hotchkiss sway bars

snoopra
December 27th, 2008, 03:42
Finally got the tools out and installed the H-sways today!:wo: Haven't driven her yet, but she looks grreat. Took a couple pics for reference but forgot to take a rear side by side pic.

hahnmgh63
December 27th, 2008, 03:51
Snoopra, were you having tranny problems? Did you send yours off to IPT or Level 10? What was the problem or is it still occurring?

snoopra
December 27th, 2008, 04:48
I'm not really having trans prob, yet. I'm seeing a "drip" from the output section of the trans. I know the TC is going 'cause I can feel a reduction in WOT acceleration. I've contacted IPT for a full upgrade + torque converter. Read too many horror stories about L-10. Just having issues with getting a technician here for the engine pull.:(

hahnmgh63
December 27th, 2008, 05:26
Mind if I ask how much IPT quoted for the works? Does the engine have to be pulled to pull the tranny or can it be done from underneath without pulling the engine? Maybe it would be better to drop the whole assembly out from the bottome then separate them?

Aronis
December 27th, 2008, 15:31
Just how does changing the sway bar make the car look any different? Just curious.

Mike

snoopra
December 27th, 2008, 16:03
Just how does changing the sway bar make the car look any different? Just curious.

Mike
I ment the new bars.:doh:

Mr Balsen
December 27th, 2008, 16:10
I'm not really having trans prob, yet. I'm seeing a "drip" from the output section of the trans. I know the TC is going 'cause I can feel a reduction in WOT acceleration. I've contacted IPT for a full upgrade + torque converter. Read too many horror stories about L-10. Just having issues with getting a technician here for the engine pull.:(

Keep us updated about IPT...

Frederic

snoopra
December 27th, 2008, 16:12
Mind if I ask how much IPT quoted for the works?
The price is on the website, around $4800.

Does the engine have to be pulled to pull the tranny or can it be done from underneath without pulling the engine? Maybe it would be better to drop the whole assembly out from the bottom then separate them?
I've been asking these questions for months.

grizz
December 27th, 2008, 22:37
Guys , the engine HAS to be dropped out with the tranny , The r hand turbo & manifold has to be removed so the bell housing bolts can be removed .....

The valve body can be removed but thats it with the box still in the car ..

snoopra
December 27th, 2008, 23:28
Thanks grizz! I guess the next question would be, I have mechanical experience so, do you think its a medium or high end job and should I just go ahead and pull it myself since I'm having difficulty getting a tech?

HeadShot
December 27th, 2008, 23:39
Hey Snoopra... i was putting in the H-sways a few days ago and had major problems getting the rear to fit - i'm sure it's the wrong one but can't talk to HC till after the holidays. The rear from them was straight across unlike the Factory rear thats all bent up like a dogs hind leg. Was yours straight or more like the factory?? Any problems getting it in?? We couldn't get one bolt in - i mean still 4" short trying everything so...

I checked the numbers on the bar and it was marked as being for the RS6 but who knows...

Your second pic, is that the new rear ???

grizz
December 27th, 2008, 23:42
The biggest problem is it's size ..The engine & box is a very big unit .If you can find a shop to use it's not that bigger job .I've got to change a cylinder head on one in a week or so ... Ummm lots of fun ..

snoopra
December 28th, 2008, 00:05
Hey Snoopra... i was putting in the H-sways a few days ago and had major problems getting the rear to fit - i'm sure it's the wrong one but can't talk to HC till after the holidays. The rear from them was straight across unlike the Factory rear thats all bent up like a dogs hind leg. Was yours straight or more like the factory?? Any problems getting it in?? We couldn't get one bolt in - i mean still 4" short trying everything so...

I checked the numbers on the bar and it was marked as being for the RS6 but who knows...

HeadShot, the third pic is the new rear. Like I wrote, I forgot to take a pic of old and new side by side. The new rear was bent similarly to the old. When I initially put the rear in place, the inboard mounting holes (stiffest setting) was like a inch away from the end connector and took minimum effort to lineup bolt holes. I'll try and get a better pic of the rear tomorrow and post it.

The biggest problem is it's size ..The engine & box is a very big unit .If you can find a shop to use it's not that bigger job
Grizz, I have access to a transmission shop so I guess I'll go for it.
PS:How's the exhaust coming along?

HeadShot
December 28th, 2008, 01:46
THXS Snoopra - mine is definately the wrong one then. Good luck with the Tranny job - keep us posted, that my next big upgrade in the far future. Before i dump big HP on her.

snoopra
December 28th, 2008, 03:30
THXS Snoopra - mine is definately the wrong one then. Good luck with the Tranny job - keep us posted, that my next big upgrade in the far future. Before i dump big HP on her.
I'll post updates. I may do a turbo upgrade while the motor's out.

Texas RS6
December 29th, 2008, 00:41

I had to send the first set back. I opened the box and noticed several pieces were wrong. They had me return the entire shipment, then sent me a replacement kit. It looks correct. Just haven't got around to installing it. :vgrumpy:

hahnmgh63
December 29th, 2008, 02:03
You people made me nervous so I went out to the shop and opened my Hotchkis box from Tire Rack and found mine to be the correct bars :) This month coming up I'll have to get busy on the suspension rebuild, KW's, and Hotchkis.

snoopra
December 29th, 2008, 03:33
Yeah, bought mine from Tire Rack also.

snoopra
December 29th, 2008, 03:51
Some more pics of the rear sway. Taken while installing the SS brake lines! Preping to paint calipers yellow. Had some custom "RS 6" stickers made in black to stand out. Will post pics when completed.

Holiday
December 29th, 2008, 18:22
Some more pics of the rear sway. Taken while installing the SS brake lines! Preping to paint calipers yellow. Had some custom "RS 6" stickers made in black to stand out. Will post pics when completed.

I've been thinking about that very modification- PLEASE be sure to post pics when you're done!!!:thumb:

DHall1
December 29th, 2008, 18:32
I really do like the pics. But afraid the first time you run the car hard and use the brakes for any extended period...the paint will burn off so fast the flames will be coming out of all the wheels.

snoopra
December 29th, 2008, 22:54
DHall1, I'll be using high temp paint similar to factory caliper/rotor paint.

Holiday
December 29th, 2008, 23:16

Snoopra- Have you looked into a high-temp powdercoat? I think this might be a better alternative for purposes of longevity.

DHall1
December 29th, 2008, 23:47
Good luck. :vhmmm: My fingers are crossed for you.

snoopra
December 29th, 2008, 23:48
NO powder coating shops available.

vangelis
December 30th, 2008, 10:04
what about that ""RS 6" stickers made in black to stand out"?? where can i find that heat-resistant stickers??

snoopra
December 30th, 2008, 14:29
what about that ""RS 6" stickers made in black to stand out"?? where can i find that heat-resistant stickers??
I had it made at a local sign shop.

snoopra
January 3rd, 2009, 22:42
Caliper pics, will apply clear tomorrow (NOTE: apply clear lightly, it runs easily:jlol: )

HeadShot
January 3rd, 2009, 22:49
They look great!!!!!! Really nice job.

snoopra
January 3rd, 2009, 22:53
They look great!!!!!! Really nice job.
Thanks. Lots of work preping. Also took a couple mm's off the area below the sticker (brake pad pins) 'cause I wasn't comfortable with the S5 wheel clearance.

DHall1
January 4th, 2009, 02:05
Its nice to see and read some of these writeups lately.

Good work and these will look nice against your blue exterior.

Lets see if the paint holds. :vhmmm:

Caliper pics, will apply clear tomorrow (NOTE: apply clear lightly, it runs easily:jlol: )

snoopra
January 8th, 2009, 21:59
Took her for a long run today, no flames DH!:hihi: I installed new front rotors and it seems I'll have to do the seating procedure I read somewhere(see 2nd pic)

vangelis
January 8th, 2009, 22:05
Took her for a long run today, no flames DH!:hihi: I installed new front rotors and it seems I'll have to do the seating procedure I read somewhere(see 2nd pic)

Looks GREAT,,, veryy nicee indeed :thumb:

HeadShot
January 9th, 2009, 00:58
I may have driven 10miles with the hand brake on today - don't ask. Sweet brakes snoopra!!! i can't say that enough LOL

DHall1
January 9th, 2009, 05:44
Doh! :doh:

I really like the way those look. I mean really. Nice job. :dig:

Now, the mechanicals. There is only 5% of the pad contacting that rotor face as you have pictured it. Please check into that situation.

Its more than just bedding the pads in. Something is only causing the shiny spots to contact the pads. Please check.

snoopra
January 9th, 2009, 06:37
Doh! :doh:

I really like the way those look. I mean really. Nice job. :dig:

Now, the mechanicals. There is only 5% of the pad contacting that rotor face as you have pictured it. Please check into that situation.

Its more than just bedding the pads in. Something is only causing the shiny spots to contact the pads. Please check.
Thanks, Will do.

DuckWingDuck
January 9th, 2009, 19:10
nod@dave, ya, something is off with your braking. btw, nice rims, i am contemplating coming back down to 19" OEMs...

MikeL01
January 10th, 2009, 16:46
The RS6 emblems on the calipers looks great. How are they holding up to the heat? Mine (as well as most others) are fading fast. Great job.

snoopra
January 12th, 2009, 02:22
My old emblems started fading a couple months ago so I decided to change caliper color and had custom emblems made. Heat is not a problem since paint and stickers are high heat items.

DuckWingDuck
January 12th, 2009, 03:44
snoopra, how much did that cost? Cuz mine is fading too :-(

snoopra
January 12th, 2009, 04:08
$40 for the stickers, $150 for paint, sandpaper, etc.

DuckWingDuck
January 12th, 2009, 04:51
Damn, not bad at all! Too bad you're all the way out in PR!

snoopra
January 13th, 2009, 13:21
DWD, I'm in VI, PR is 30min West:)(technically, I'm in NY right now!)

DuckWingDuck
January 13th, 2009, 19:01
lol, pr, vi, same diff!

snoopra
January 18th, 2009, 17:43
Finally back home, and warm:D . Didn't get to go to IPT:cry: , was on my way when the US air jet "landed" in the Hudson. Traffic backed up for several hours. When I called IPT, John told me Ty was in NY for a Ducatti unveiling. Anyway, I did get my TCU chipped. I'll reinstall later and post impressions. I also got the hoses from Venair.

vangelis
January 18th, 2009, 21:02
Finally back home, and warm:D . Didn't get to go to IPT:cry: , was on my way when the US air jet "landed" in the Hudson. Traffic backed up for several hours. When I called IPT, John told me Ty was in NY for a Ducatti unveiling. Anyway, I did get my TCU chipped. I'll reinstall later and post impressions. I also got the hoses from Venair.

I just bought them also but in red color :)