PDA

View Full Version : Wow.... (Intercooler)

Audifan92
December 26th, 2008, 16:40
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n150/Kareems_2006/Audi20RS6203.jpg

DHall1
December 26th, 2008, 16:44
This car will have overheating problems.

I dont even understand why someone would do this.

There is a reaason why the Audi intercoolers are down low in the fender and the intercooler airflow goes out into the wheelwell. Please dont change this design. How many times did Audi win Lemans?

Go buy a book. Go read Corky Bell's "Maximum Boost".

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n150/Kareems_2006/Audi20RS6203.jpg

Mr Balsen
December 26th, 2008, 16:56
yes major overheating problem....

Frederic

DuckWingDuck
December 26th, 2008, 18:29
lol, that's a little too fast and furious

Ruergard
December 26th, 2008, 18:53
Someone's totally missed the point with the RS6.... :(

Cdo
December 29th, 2008, 16:45
yes major overheating problem....

Frederic

besides the overheating it looks terrible! This syle has a name in Denmark, when it's looks homemade, a little to much..... it's called "Brian-style" :hihi:

Mr Balsen
December 29th, 2008, 18:47
The air flow on the normal intercooler on the RS6 is actually very very efficient.
You can get 600hp with the normal intercooler architecture....
Position of the intercooler is no the weak point of the RS6.

Frederic

peiserg
December 29th, 2008, 18:54
I have a front mount in my Acura NSX.. temp never gets even to the halfway mark.. so would this be such an issue?

Mr Balsen
December 29th, 2008, 19:02
On the NSX, the engine is not behind the intercooler...

In this RS6, the intercooler is heating the radiator wich is not so efficient anymore. And then heat from intercooler+radiator are straight to the engine block ! ! ! !

Totally stupid. On normal rs6, heat from intercooler are on each side and go out by the wheel holes. Radiator is very efficient because air flow straight from outside...

Frederic

DHall1
December 29th, 2008, 19:16
Everything comes down to the properties of heat transfer.

Where does all this heat come from and where is it going to go? Heat comes from the engine explosions in each cylinder. Bigger explosion more heat. Some of the heat goes out the exhaust some is absorbed into the engine block, heads, manifolds, turbos...ect.

Coolant flows to keep engine temps reasonable but then how do you keep the coolant cool? Heat exchanger

If you start lining up heat exchangers in the grill of the any car....as the ambient air goes thru each exchanger the heat is transfered into the air...well now the air is not so ambient because it just soaked up all the heat from the first exchanger....now it goes thru the next exchanger already at a higher temp then ambient. Now the next exchanger cannot transfer as much heat and the cycle continues until no more heat can be displaced into the air flow.

BOOM goes the engine.

That is one of the reasons each and every heat exchanger needs its own piece of the pie. Pie being the power juice of clean cool airflow. Ever notice all the little scoops for this or that on race cars? All heat producing parts need that life blood of cool air. Ever notice the larger side scoops on the V10 R8? They are larger than the V8 R8. For the RS6, Audi did a good job of collecting all the frontal cool air available by placing things in the direct air pathway. Thats why there is an intercooler in each fender with its own supply of fresh air that dumps out into the wheelwell and the radiatior gets its own share from the grille.

Hows that gang.

On the NSX, the engine is not behind the intercooler...

In this RS6, the intercooler is heating the radiator wich is not so efficient anymore. And then heat from intercooler+radiator are straight to the engine block ! ! ! !

Totally stupid. On normal rs6, heat from intercooler are on each side and go out by the wheel holes. Radiator is very efficient because air flow straight from outside...

Frederic

Mr Balsen
December 29th, 2008, 19:46
Smart engineer when looking for the right position of an intercooler is looking at air flow in front of the intercooler but also behind...
Stupid tuner don't know what they are doing while it looks cool.... MTM will never do such thing...

Frederic

RS6-4dr911
December 30th, 2008, 05:15
Everyone thus far has presumed the carcass of this "Brian-style" automotive butchery to be an RS6 - perhaps it's only a 2.7T poser? Admittedly the thermodynamic masterbation above still holds true, it just may not matter as much.

DHall1
December 30th, 2008, 05:23
RS6/4dr....if your making reference to my post. F-off.

As for the assumption of the above car being a RS6 and and not a 2.7tt. Take a look at the fenders, I doubt a poser would swap out the entire front clip of a 4.2 or RS6 just to have the rear fenders not match.

Everyone thus far has presumed the carcass of this "Brian-style" automotive butchery to be an RS6 - perhaps it's only a 2.7T poser? Admittedly the thermodynamic masterbation above still holds true, it just may not matter as much.

RS6-4dr911
December 30th, 2008, 05:29
My, my, don't be so f'ing touchy.

I made no specific reference, I've engaged in such activity myself, but you give away your sense of guilt and shame with such a response.

As for the fenders, pretty sure those can be added to a 2.7T quit easily. Without a VIN, we're all guessing. Enjoy your evening.

peiserg
December 30th, 2008, 05:42
ah ha. So please let me know why all those 500-1000 HP supras, with their massive FMIC setups don't go "Boom"

My motor may be behind my seat, but my heat distributing radiator is directly behind my front mounted heat exchanger. And my temp still never gets even to the halfway mark. I doubt my nsx motor loses much heat to "radiation" otherwise my ass would get awfully warm.

DHall1
December 30th, 2008, 06:35
Well, most of those Supra's dont track race and are mainly used for show or dyno queens. 1/4 mile runs dont count either.

Call Reg Reimer in Canada who ran a One Lap MkIV Supra a few years ago. He ran into all the problems noted above in my rant of cooling.

I wont waste my time on such rants and just piss on others threads from now on. How about that RS4dr.

Please give me a break about "I made no specific reference"

ah ha. So please let me know why all those 500-1000 HP supras, with their massive FMIC setups don't go "Boom"

My motor may be behind my seat, but my heat distributing radiator is directly behind my front mounted heat exchanger. And my temp still never gets even to the halfway mark. I doubt my nsx motor loses much heat to "radiation" otherwise my ass would get awfully warm.

Erik
December 30th, 2008, 09:15
RS6/4dr....if your making reference to my post. F-off.

My, my, don't be so f'ing touchy.

I made no specific reference, I've engaged in such activity myself, but you give away your sense of guilt and shame with such a response.

That's not the language to use here. Please take better care before posting.

Back ON topic please.

DHall1
December 30th, 2008, 15:06
Priceless quote that will prompt my response 100% of the time.

[quote=RS6-4dr911;Admittedly the thermodynamic masterbation above still holds true,[/quote]

Benman
December 30th, 2008, 17:12
As Erik said, we already see the mud. Stop slinging it...

Big Thanks. :cheers:

Ben:addict:

Boosted-Bora
December 30th, 2008, 17:29
I am in the process of doing a front mount intercooler for my RS6 but it will look nothing like that I am thinking front mount intercooler and side mount oil and trans

Bigglezworth
December 30th, 2008, 19:11
Rice-a-roni aesthetics aside, I see no issues with the FMIC. As mentioned it all comes down to management of heat dissipation. I have a FMIC on my Turbo Buick, my wifes Dodge Ram, and had one on my Volvo S60R. I don't have a FMIC on my NSX, but utilize a rear entry unit that draws air in from below the car. NONE of my rides have/had any overheating issues. Remember the Turbo charger isn't creating massive amounts of heat all the time - only in bursts (cavieate to this is those that track their rides, but then the air flow through the intercooler and radiator is faster as the speeds increase). Bottomline is that you need to get the heat out. If you can't do this then yes you will have overheating issues. Aside from the inlet and exit specifically designed for the side mount intercoolers on the RS6, the remainder of the engine bay is very claustrophobic and retains a large quantity of the heat generated by the motor and exhaust. My Buick has much more space, as does my Dodge. My NSX has a radiator that isn't in an engine compartment, so drawing in heat from it or from an FMIC wouldn't be an issue in my eyes.

Anyway, just my observations from running FI on a number of cars for a number of years. Many people think they can just bolt things on and benefit from increased performance - only later to find out they are actually hampering their performance because they didn't think about all of the physics involved. Same holds true for those that think a flash of a computer is the only thing you need to do to get more power out of their car. They are quick to forget about other mechanical items that require modification also to match the upgrades made elsewhere. Once you start down the path of modification the end can be quite far away.

As for the mention of Reg Reimer and his Supra, I'll have to talk with him about that when I see him in a couple of weeks.

Tim

Leadfoot
December 30th, 2008, 19:40
I can't really comment on whether it will have heat issues, but to have such a seriously big intercooler would mean some serious power and unfortunately power and heat go hand in hand. I look at the front of this RS6 and think 'where is the air flow to the raditor?' Maybe on only occasional high runs things will be fine but I wouldn't have much faith on it lasting long on multiple spells on the Autobahn.

Apart from that it looks ugly as sin.

Mr Balsen
December 30th, 2008, 19:50
The problem is not to check if the FMIC is efficient or not.

The problem on the RS6 is the space between the FMIC+radiator and the engine to let the air goes outisde. Because there is no space, you can really put only one layer of intercooler but not two...

Why do you think on the Audi S1 Groupe B, the radiators were in the back ? because it was impossible to have the two under the hood... What was true in the 80's is still true today in terme of heat exchange, air flow and aerodynamics...

Frederic

Bigglezworth
December 30th, 2008, 22:52
You've hit the nail on the head Frederic. Like I said too, the airflow for the RS6 is poor because the engine is packed in so tight. Remember the engine on the Audi sits entirely forward of the front axle and well into the front clip. In fact the radiator and the front clip structural brace are mounted together if I recall correctly because there simply isn't any room forward of the engine. :burnout: