PDA

View Full Version : DRC Repair Procedure Changes

Copper
December 24th, 2008, 16:58
My car is in for DRC repair as of last week. I have had the dreaded "clunk in the trunk" for about a year now. I brought the car in this time last year to have it diagnosed and Fidelity turned down the claim saying they could not produce the same symptoms I was having and that some seeping fluid on the strut was "normal". I was told that the DRC needed to get worse before they would pay for the repair. Rather than fight about it (I needed my car the next day) I drove it and just ignored the clunk for the last year but it has gotten progressively worse. I drive my car for business so I really only have the holidays to drop it off.

I printed out the RS6 Tech Training document DHall provided in another post (60 pages)

I showed this document to the Service Manager, Audi Regional (happened to be visting the dealer) and Fidelity Rep (was there to examine the car for the claim). They were all in the Service Manager's office discussing my RS6 when I showed up at the dealer to swap out the Enterprise rental SUV for an A4 Cab.

I was told the DRC repair procedure in the document is outdated and they have a new tool/system that allows them to replace the leaky strut, refill and charge the system. I have yet to see this new procedure however they promised to print it out and hand it to me when I pick up the car in about a week. If they do that, I will scan it and post it here.

A friend of mine has a Daytona Gray RS6 and also had this new procedure performed at the same dealer (Jim Ellis Audi, Marietta). He's had his car back for about a month and so far the DRC is still working properly after the repair.

He initially took his RS6 to a local dealer in Chattanooga, TN when he heard the "clunk in the trunk". That dealer did not have the new tool or training on the new procedure so they contacted Audi's regional rep who authorized to have the car shipped down to Georgia to have the work performed.

Turns out that the leaky strut was the FRONT driver's side but since the system crosses like and "X" from the front left to the rear right. The weight of the front (engine, passenger) compressed the strut/spring so that the clunk/bounce was heard and felt in the right rear since the fluid leaked and the system lost pressure. The trunk/rear is lighter so the strut/spring is not as compressed. So if you are hearing a clunk in the rear, chances are the front strut is leaking so have the dealer check for that. I am having the same symptom so guessing this will be the same for me as well.

So... stay tuned.

Hy Octane
December 24th, 2008, 18:44
The RS6 self study guide dosent detail the procedure for repair, rather it just confirms that when replacing any struts, the central valve must also be replaced..something many folks were having trouble making their uneducated techs understand. Its not the guide thats outdated, its the system itself.

DHall1
December 24th, 2008, 18:53
This brings up a point.

Did anyone notice how basic this study guide was written? Its about a 10th grade level or slightly higher. My guess, this adds to the statement below of "uneducated" techs. Just an observation and not all techs are uneducated. I commend those that work to learn a trade and work in a professional manner but thats not the norm.

BTW, Copper....thanks for starting the new thread. Its nice to see someone writing a proper title for a thread so that others can use the "search" engine in the future and find this stuff. Its not that common these days.

Cheers

The RS6 self study guide dosent detail the procedure for repair, rather it just confirms that when replacing any struts, the central valve must also be replaced..something many folks were having trouble making their uneducated techs understand. Its not the guide thats outdated, its the system itself.

Aronis
December 24th, 2008, 20:59
The special tool has been around since the beginning. It has to be sent to each shop as it is needed. It's the tool that allows them to evacuate and then refill a single shock to the baseline pressure of 5 bar. Then that refilled shock is connected to a new fully pressurized central valve (20 bar).

When a pair gets depressurized (and if the inner guts of the shock is not already damaged by being without fluid) the have to find the leak, replace that seal or whatnot and THEN evacuate and refill the shocks with the special tool.

There is a post showing this tool. A couple of tanks, some valves and a reservoir for the hydraulic fluid (I was told it was a mineral oil).

Sooooo is this a new MAGIC tool or more doubletalk BULLSHIT from Audi?

Ps I posted a comment about that manual bring written in Football player print two years ago.

Mike

DHall1
December 24th, 2008, 23:16
Brings up more points.

If a shock has been run without pressure/oil. It is ruined.

"Tool" does nothing about that.

If the central valve on each of the "X" systems runs empty or low on pressure. It is also ruined.

If one of your shocks leaks out fluid and pressure is lost...that in turn affects the other shock on the "X" and thus runs that shock low on oil. Now if the above is true that these shocks run low or out of oil are ruined. Then...both shocks on the "X" will need replaced.

What exactly does this "Tool" do? You decide.

Copper-please confirm that the "Tool" will repressure the shock and central valve. 5bar and 20bar. I would like to know.

:argue: :( :vgrumpy:

From the sounds of some of the replies. Audi still has some bridges to mend.

mmaturo
December 25th, 2008, 06:17
I have to agree on nothing really new yet.
My car is going in after new years for repair number 2.
They are replacing my entire system again as everything is leaking.
Had car in last week but parts couldn't make it in time for christmas travel to florida.
There is a post on audiworld though about a dealer replacing the system with S6 shocks and another with H&Rs.
I am certainly interested in all these posts.

Hy Octane
December 25th, 2008, 18:42
Well, its nice they have addressed the underpressurized issues while replacing the system.. problem is still, they are now replacing faulty DRC shocks with new faulty ones, they are just doing a better job of it. How crazy is that?

alexo
December 26th, 2008, 09:29
can you give me the post which contains the rs6 tech training document? Tried various searchs & cant find it.

Thanks

DHall1
December 26th, 2008, 16:47
http://www.titsup-racing.com/RS6_Training_Manual.pdf

can you give me the post which contains the rs6 tech training document? Tried various searchs & cant find it.

Thanks

Copper
December 26th, 2008, 16:55
Right, well the dealer is telling me this document is outdated and yes, it is a self-study guide design to provide the basics to service techs on the differences on the RS6 vs. A6. This is not a procedure document but apparently an old "getting to know the RS6" document released in advance of the RS6 being sold at dealers in the US.

The "new procedure document" that provides the methods to repair/replace the DRC system is on the computer at the dealer. I called them on this and requested a print out and/or to see this procedure with my own eyes.

I have not heard back from the dealer yet but it is the holidays and I'm enjoying throttling the A4 Cab 2.0T to with in an inch of it's life every time I take it out. I'm impressed with the new A4. It has more room and the thing handles really well. The engine is pretty decent as long as you shift it yourself.

I'll provide an update once I get one.

brownins
December 27th, 2008, 00:36
Get KW Variant 3's, you will be happy. The entire DRC system is a horrible design (although great in concept) and has failed twice on my car in the first 30,000 miles. A suspension system that needs to be completely replaced if one component fails should be engineered with the highest of standards, Audi has failed at this. How many $5000 plus repair jobs do you want to go through? I replaced the DRC with KW Variant 3's, the car rides stiff (currently running recommended start settings) but handles like it's on rails. In addition I will only have to replace one coilover if anything goes wrong, a much better solution in my opinion.

Aronis
December 27th, 2008, 00:57
How much for K3 installed?

hahnmgh63
December 27th, 2008, 00:59
Yea, I see the DRC is made by KYB. Audi needs to get with KYB on this DRC issue and get it fixed even if it is a re-design. I wonder if KYB is the manufacturer of the newer RS4 suspension as well? I would have to agree that for now, I think KW or one of the other aftermarket suspensions are the way to go. Mine was still on warranty but who wants to keep making trips to the dealer which for me is a hour away? My lousy dealer doesn't give a loner car.

hahnmgh63
December 27th, 2008, 01:03
Not sure about installation but the KW's run about $2400~$2650 in the states. I'm doing the installation myself as I'm replacing all of the suspension pieces while in there. Then I'll take the car for a good alignment. Unlike DRC, KW has a reputation for quality and reliability. And for those stories I've found through Google, they seem to have a great warranty, no questions asked replacement.

Hy Octane
December 27th, 2008, 01:37
Get KW Variant 3's, you will be happy. The entire DRC system is a horrible design (although great in concept) and has failed twice on my car in the first 30,000 miles. A suspension system that needs to be completely replaced if one component fails should be engineered with the highest of standards, Audi has failed at this. How many $5000 plus repair jobs do you want to go through? I replaced the DRC with KW Variant 3's, the car rides stiff (currently running recommended start settings) but handles like it's on rails. In addition I will only have to replace one coilover if anything goes wrong, a much better solution in my opinion.

This is exactly what Audi is hoping we will do. That lets them off the hook and get us off their cases.

hahnmgh63
December 27th, 2008, 01:54
This maybe true Hy Octane, but how much of a hassle and cost are you willing to incur to repeatedly make trips to the dealer. Some here have been to the dealer 3 or 4 or more times, been without there cars for months total time. I believe everyone should file a complaint with NHTSA http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov , stateside at least.

snoopra
December 27th, 2008, 03:20
I know Champion Audi in FL (not sure which one) did a DRC "mode" which increased all shock psi from 5 to 9bar, cured leak issue.

brownins
December 27th, 2008, 04:58
$800 for install $2700 for KW V3's, never have to worry about DRC again and I can adjust settings if I want to.

alexo
December 27th, 2008, 05:11
Right, well the dealer is telling me this document is outdated and yes, it is a self-study guide design to provide the basics to service techs on the differences on the RS6 vs. A6. This is not a procedure document but apparently an old "getting to know the RS6" document released in advance of the RS6 being sold at dealers in the US.

The "new procedure document" that provides the methods to repair/replace the DRC system is on the computer at the dealer. I called them on this and requested a print out and/or to see this procedure with my own eyes.

Will await for a copy if you get the document thanks.

Thanks Dave.

Is the DRC system also in the 2001 to 2003 rs4? My mechanic did something to the air cell sensor & put in some parts from the BMW m5. The problem was solved. He wants to check mine & do the same procedure if he feels it is correct. SO far, there is only 1 rs6 in the country & that is mine & one rs4 circa 2001-2003.

Clubsport
December 27th, 2008, 09:05
my car runs KW3, and it is less comfortable than original DRC. But it is much more reliable, 37 000 Kms of track without any problem......:incar: :race:

Qisha
December 27th, 2008, 11:36
Dear Friends,

this updated whitepaper differs in showing how to re-pressurize the central valve. The "special toolkit" mentioned is essential to fulfill this guide.

Qisha

PS: the "mod" i was reading about is basicly the pre-pressure of the Sport Suspension Plus Shocks.

Aronis
December 27th, 2008, 15:24
Yea, I see the DRC is made by KYB. Audi needs to get with KYB on this DRC issue and get it fixed even if it is a re-design. I wonder if KYB is the manufacturer of the newer RS4 suspension as well? I would have to agree that for now, I think KW or one of the other aftermarket suspensions are the way to go. Mine was still on warranty but who wants to keep making trips to the dealer which for me is a hour away? My lousy dealer doesn't give a loner car.

I tracked down KYB two years ago and via email got a dialogue going. They had ZERO interest in being helpful stating "Audi has all the information they need to fix the DRC."

The level of involvement of KYB at the consumer level is lame. They have no interest in being proactive in fixing their poor engineering design. Particularly the lack of ability to service their design in the field.

Field service is every bit as important as design and manufacturing. If you cannot fix the product you made it thus becomes a disposible piece of junk.

Just like Audi's poor design in placing the oil filters in such poor locations (for God Sack, one of the most common things you do to maintain a car! Oil Change), these KYB people should have and could have designed DRC version TWO with built in pressure transducers to measure the static start up pressure each time you start the car to WARN of a possible leak EARLY.

Or perhaps a design that is FIELD serviceble. IE central valve that can be repressurized in the shop.

Special Tools need not apply.

Mike

Yellow RS6
December 29th, 2008, 15:44
Copper - nice to see another GA owner! I actually just had my beast in for an alignment and tire rotation/balance on 12/19 at Jim Ellis in Marietta. Sounds like we just missed each other. I've been meaning to ask if there are any Atlanta-area owners and which dealership is recommended for working on an RS6. How has Jim Ellis been to you? Who is service manager? Mine is David Kim. Have you been to other dealers, like Nalley, and how would you rate them? Thanks!

This DRC thing is really scaring me. I bought my beast last month with 2 years CPO thinking I'm good to go. But then I read some people have gotten it fixed under CPO and some haven't. Then I read about people getting their DRC fixed, but it goes out again within a short time. This is really freaking me out! If my DRC goes and CPO doesn't cover it, I am up the creek. As dhall1 mentioned in another thread, there are no RS6s on ebay right now, I may just have to let the beast go.........

JacRS6
December 29th, 2008, 16:17
The DRC is a waste of time fixing IMHO, after installing them (KW V3) the ride is much more enjoyable and as others have posted it does in fact ride on rails.
I have posted in an earlier thread the part numbers to both coil over replacement systems, but here they are again.

Bilistein (GM 58868) this is for the PS9, the KW V3's number is 35210053

I was able to get the KW's shipped to me (Denver, Co) from Germany in 5 days and for the total price of $2080, if you cant find a cheaper route, PM me and I will give you the number of the gentleman who assisted me.

Cheers
Jac

DHall1
December 29th, 2008, 16:35
IMHO

Two things. You should have purchased the Audi/Fidelity extended warranty instead of CPO. AF warranty covers the DRC. And if having any problem with the car is going to cause you to give up and sell. You may as well get it listed. There will be problems that come up. Thats just the way it is.

Copper - nice to see another GA owner! I actually just had my beast in for an alignment and tire rotation/balance on 12/19 at Jim Ellis in Marietta. Sounds like we just missed each other. I've been meaning to ask if there are any Atlanta-area owners and which dealership is recommended for working on an RS6. How has Jim Ellis been to you? Who is service manager? Mine is David Kim. Have you been to other dealers, like Nalley, and how would you rate them? Thanks!

This DRC thing is really scaring me. I bought my beast last month with 2 years CPO thinking I'm good to go. But then I read some people have gotten it fixed under CPO and some haven't. Then I read about people getting their DRC fixed, but it goes out again within a short time. This is really freaking me out! If my DRC goes and CPO doesn't cover it, I am up the creek. As dhall1 mentioned in another thread, there are no RS6s on ebay right now, I may just have to let the beast go.........

Copper
December 29th, 2008, 20:14
Hello Mr. Yellow.

Sorry we missed each other. David is a nice guy and who my wife's cousin uses as well. I have Kevin Fairweather. He's decent. Jim Ellis is closer than Nalley for me. I used to go to Nalley when Chico was working there and he was awesome to us RS6 owners. He left and the service went downhill in my opinion. I am not really satisfied with Jim Ellis or Nalley. I have not tried the new dealership in Gwinnett as it is too far away. Audi service should be on par or better than Lexus or BMW (both have been excellent for me) but alas, they treat me like I'm driving a Chevy (no offense to GM owners). You have to fight to get them to fix anything and fix it correctly. If the RS6 wasn't such a fantastic car I'd have dropped Audi on their head last year and gone back with BMW.

Yeah, I know the DRC repair is sort of a waste of time. But quite frankly I don't want Audi to win by me giving up and paying out of my pocket for KWs. I paid $3000 for an extended warranty and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay another $3000 for something that should be covered by Audi (flawed design). That's what Audi hopes will happen. 450 cars in the US.. eventually we'll give up or they will be sold and resold to the point where they won't have to provide a permanant alternative. As long as I keep getting new Audi loaners, I'll bring the car in every month if I have to. I'm only 6 miles away from Jim Ellis.

DHall1
December 29th, 2008, 20:21
Now this is more in the spirit of things. I like it.

I also like the treat me like a Chevy owner note. Very true in some places. Audi, are you listening?? Hello-you have a large segment of owners with a big thorn in thier sides ready to give it right back to you. And we are not going away nor shutting our mouths. And not buying new Audi's.

Well. But thanks for the RS6.

Hello Mr. Yellow.

Sorry we missed each other. David is a nice guy and who my wife's cousin uses as well. I have Kevin Fairweather. He's decent. Jim Ellis is closer than Nalley for me. I used to go to Nalley when Chico was working there and he was awesome to us RS6 owners. He left and the service went downhill in my opinion. I am not really satisfied with Jim Ellis or Nalley. I have not tried the new dealership in Gwinnett as it is too far away. Audi service should be on par or better than Lexus or BMW (both have been excellent for me) but alas, they treat me like I'm driving a Chevy (no offense to GM owners). You have to fight to get them to fix anything and fix it correctly. If the RS6 wasn't such a fantastic car I'd have dropped Audi on their head last year and gone back with BMW.

Yeah, I know the DRC repair is sort of a waste of time. But quite frankly I don't want Audi to win by me giving up and paying out of my pocket for KWs. I paid $3000 for an extended warranty and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay another $3000 for something that should be covered by Audi (flawed design). That's what Audi hopes will happen. 450 cars in the US.. eventually we'll give up or they will be sold and resold to the point where they won't have to provide a permanant alternative. As long as I keep getting new Audi loaners, I'll bring the car in every month if I have to. I'm only 6 miles away from Jim Ellis.

Yellow RS6
December 29th, 2008, 20:53

If your extended warranty covers DRC, then definitely get it replaced/repaired. If it goes again in 6 months, have them replace it again, that's what a warranty is for (although it does waste a lot of your time). I definitely wouldn't pay out-of-pocket for coilovers and let them off the hook. In my case, if the DRC goes and I can't get Audi to replace it under CPO, I won't. I'll get coilovers (meanwhile, the wife will kill me) and be done with it.

Hy Octane
December 30th, 2008, 02:01
In the USA, all repairs done to the DRC are warrantied for 12 months. So, if it goes out after 6, its their dime..So far, all my replacements have been under warranty. It has yet to make it one year without needing replacements..
Most suspensions last well over 100k miles.. and here we are talking about an $85k car that we have to replace the damned thing 3 times a year. And they expect us to just eat it without a word, or an apology .. nuttin..
Can you imagine the meeting at Audi HQ when they decided to keep replacing them with more faulty ones regardless of the cost? If only we could get a tape of that day..

brownins
December 30th, 2008, 02:22
The DRC system is a joke and unless some legal action is taken Audi will ignore our complaints. The economics of only 850 cars in the US is easy for Audi to ignore. Even with Audi replacing the system under warranty or an extended warranty covering the repair, "time is money". I couldn't stand driving the car analyzing every thump and bump wondering if a component of my DRC system was leaking. I decided to replace it with a more reliable simple solution (KW's V3 with hocthkis sway bars). The car is more reliable and handles better, although the ride is rougher than stock. However the RS6 is an extreme Halo car and I feel it just adds to the personality of the car. It's a shame that Audi has turned its back on their ultimate car!

Everytime I'm at my dealer in Columbus, OH an RS6 is in the shop getting something done, mostly DRC or transmission repair. How's that possible when only 850 were made for the US? My service rep is a great Guy and does not knock the DRC at all, however he has shown others KW with hotchkis sways as an alternative option. My service technician said the car drives like brand new after he installed the KW V3's. If your tired of dealing with it sue Audi or go aftermarket, just my two cents!

DHall1
December 30th, 2008, 03:20
Audi-are you listening???

Like I have been saying all along. You have some mighty pissed off high end customers here. And I dont see them as being repeat customers.

You have one group that is fed up and dont have time to dick with the the red tape and go KW coilover route. And you have another group stubborn to the bone at making Audi fix the DRC over and over and over and over until the warranty and extended warranty run out.

Kinda funny reading. My hat is with Hyoctane and the group willing to stuff it down Audi's throat. :mech: I have Audi Platinum 100k warranty. Bring on the DRC repairs.

The DRC system is a joke and unless some legal action is taken Audi will ignore our complaints. The economics of only 850 cars in the US is easy for Audi to ignore. Even with Audi replacing the system under warranty or an extended warranty covering the repair, "time is money". I couldn't stand driving the car analyzing every thump and bump wondering if a component of my DRC system was leaking. I decided to replace it with a more reliable simple solution (KW's V3 with hocthkis sway bars). The car is more reliable and handles better, although the ride is rougher than stock. However the RS6 is an extreme Halo car and I feel it just adds to the personality of the car. It's a shame that Audi has turned its back on their ultimate car!

Everytime I'm at my dealer in Columbus, OH an RS6 is in the shop getting something done, mostly DRC or transmission repair. How's that possible when only 850 were made for the US? My service rep is a great Guy and does not knock the DRC at all, however he has shown others KW with hotchkis sways as an alternative option. My service technician said the car drives like brand new after he installed the KW V3's. If your tired of dealing with it sue Audi or go aftermarket, just my two cents!

Copper
December 30th, 2008, 16:41
Correction to my post. NOT 450 cars (I was thinking of another car) 850 cars (I've also see the 1100 number thrown around?)

So, yeah two camps: Fix DRC under warranty (original, CPO or Extended) and aftermarket.

I have not heard a peep out of them. I guess they will want their A4 Cab back eventually.

On a side note: I had a blast over Christmas driving my 3 year old around in her booster seat in the back with the A4's top down. She had on a warm fuzzy hat, a blanket, seats on full heat, heater on full-blast and Christmas music playing while we slowly looked at the Christmas lights. Top 10 moment for me that night!

MalcolmS
December 30th, 2008, 16:50
My own RS6 goes into my local Audi dealers at the end of Jan to have one leaking shock replaced (no parts available until then). This dealer has invested in the tool to re-pressurise the central valve.

The car's coming up for 5 year old, done 54k miles but is still under warranty. I've only had the car 10 months and as far as I can tell this is its first DRC repair.

So long as the car's still under warranty and they'll cover DRC repairs I'll continue to have it repaired. At some point though when a car's 5+ years old and done 70-80k I can see the "fair wear and tear" excuse being rolled out. :(

M

Copper
January 2nd, 2009, 19:45
Update:

Rec'd a call from Kevin @ Jim Ellis Audi that they tried the "new procedure" replacing the leaky strut, refilling and pressurizing the system. Since I raised such a stink about them doing it this way, they drove the car around for a couple of days and guess what? The DRC system is not repaired. Surprise, surprise. I think this "new procedure" is a load of doggie doo (Erik, I've resolved to watch my creative adjectives on RS6.com in the new year :jlol: ).

Fidelity is clearly trying the cheap route first with DRC claims to see if the problem "goes away". What a waste of time and money. Now the dealer has to write up a new claim with all the parts and labor, haggle with Fidelity on why the WHOLE DRC system has to be replaced and have them come back out to inspect and authorize the repair. Needless to say I asked the dealer: "is the the part where I say I told you so?"

So, for now I'm driving around in a nice Q7 for a few weeks until it all is resolved.

I'll post another update when I hear more from the dealer.

hahnmgh63
January 2nd, 2009, 22:41
I wonder if there is any chance that Fidelity could help lead some of us RS6 owners in a class action lawsuit with Audi on the DRC. If most cars have had it fail, and the repair fails multiple times, sometimes in days and hours, then there is obviously a problem. I hope that everyone on RS6.com from the U.S. at least has filed a complaint with NHTSA!!! Come on guys, I just logged on to NHTSA and their were only 21 Suspension complaints logged against the RS6. Everyone needs to get busy.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

Aronis
January 3rd, 2009, 19:01
If NHTSA is waiting for all 1200 owners to complain you can forget about that route.

Remember the old saying "I'm from the Government and I'm here to help you."

Think DMV employee...

Nice try.

Mike

DHall1
January 4th, 2009, 02:19
I dont think we want to wake the sleeping giant. "Fidelity" And give them the heads up that the RS6 is a losing venture.

I want to keep my Fidelity policy and I want to keep these $$$ expensive issues under wraps until I need to cash in my TC, DRC, Trans, turbos, ect, ect.

Trust me, if I ever get the TC code.....I will make good and sure the trans is toast when I take it in. There will be no choice but to replace the TC and transmission.

I wonder if there is any chance that Fidelity could help lead some of us RS6 owners in a class action lawsuit with Audi on the DRC. If most cars have had it fail, and the repair fails multiple times, sometimes in days and hours, then there is obviously a problem. I hope that everyone on RS6.com from the U.S. at least has filed a complaint with NHTSA!!! Come on guys, I just logged on to NHTSA and their were only 21 Suspension complaints logged against the RS6. Everyone needs to get busy.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

DHall1
January 4th, 2009, 02:22
Exactly correct.

Dead horse.

We either buy or have Fidelity policies to keep giving Audi all the pain and suffering each time the DRC fails. Or, we put KW's on the car and forget about the DRC.

Lastly, there may be a time when Fidelity starts putting on KW's instead of replacing the faulty DRC.

If NHTSA is waiting for all 1200 owners to complain you can forget about that route.

Remember the old saying "I'm from the Government and I'm here to help you."

Think DMV employee...

Nice try.

Mike

mmaturo
January 6th, 2009, 06:25
My 2 cents wayyy at the end of this is that i want to pour as little as possible into this dern thing (have another $1500 in repairs between CV boots going, rotors and pads again...not sure how possible on fronts after 8K miles and no track...pads maybe but rotors... f me) so my leaking DRC mess is going in for fix number two under the 12 month 12K parts warranty this week...and will over and over and over and over again. I'm not willing to spend $3K to fix Audi's problem. I do care about time lost taking it in for service constantly but to me its the principle of the thing...like blowing thousands in legal on a parking ticket fight.

Copper
January 13th, 2009, 17:27
Update: Audi Dealer called today. They have replaced the entire DRC system (valves, (4) struts, etc.). Took the old DRC system out and replaced it will all new parts from Germany.

They drove it once yesterday. Dealer gave it overnight for the suspension to settle and will drive it again today make sure everything is working properly before I pick it up tomorrow. Jarin, the RS6 certified tech performed the work and is also the test driver. He rode with me when I brought in the car a few weeks ago to hear the clunk himself.

Fingers crossed that everything is working propertly now. I will provide another update tomorrow.

All of the work was paid for by my extended warranty company, Fidelity not by Audi USA.

I figure that it took 35K miles for the original DRC to fail so with an entirely new system maybe I can expect 20-35K from it. Who knows? By then I'll be on to something else maybe. Prob a 997TT + a daily driver. Or perhaps I'll have a fresh DRC suspension installed again...

Jani
January 14th, 2009, 09:08
Sorry to say, but even renewing the whole system does not always solve issues. A friend's RS6 got renewed 3 months ago, now front shocks are leaking.

Mine lasted 6 months since renewal. I never believed it could be like this. It seems there have been bad OEM-parts batches, because shocks start leaking after a few months. They renew them under parts warranty, but you end up having your car 50% of the time at the shop. :(

There is rumoured to be new front shocks now, let's hope that solves the issues.

Bigglezworth
January 14th, 2009, 14:21
I'm currently sourcing the best price for an aftermarket Bilstein PSS9 set-up to replace my failed DRC. I knew when purchasing the car that this would be broken or break soon. In all honesty I'm quite use to putting in another 1.5-2K for aftermarket suspension on all of my cars so I accounted for that in my purchase price. Prefer the coil overs anyway as I can adjust ride height and dampening to suit personal taste.

Tim

stubro
January 14th, 2009, 15:35
Cooper as you might remember I also had one strut go down and the delaer also used the "special tool" to repressurize the system. Currently it is holding at 15 bar but I also am concerned there might have been damage when it was low on fluid. I now need new brakes and tires which could have been a result of the bad strut.

The dealer did show me the logic tree for the DRC repair in the system and it is pretty straight forward and does say to repressurize. The CPO does cover the central valves but not the struts. I am finding out that really COP doesnt cover a lot and they can change it at will. A nice touch. I think when, notice I didnt say if, my DRC goes I will also go the after market route.

mmaturo
January 14th, 2009, 16:07
Sorry to say, but even renewing the whole system does not always solve issues. A friend's RS6 got renewed 3 months ago, now front shocks are leaking.

Mine lasted 6 months since renewal. I never believed it could be like this. It seems there have been bad OEM-parts batches, because shocks start leaking after a few months. They renew them under parts warranty, but you end up having your car 50% of the time at the shop. :(

There is rumoured to be new front shocks now, let's hope that solves the issues.

I'll ask but i doubt the parts have changed...anyone have handy the old part number for the shocks? Picking my car up i hope today for my second full DRC replacement. Too bad i can't enjoy it in my winter wonderland of Chicago.

DuckWingDuck
January 14th, 2009, 19:07
Tim, why Bilstein? The PSS9 is well documented for having issues (though I think not structurally just a rubbing/noise issue.

Copper
January 14th, 2009, 20:09
OK Gents,

I picked up the RS6 today. Took it for a quick (30 minute hahaha) test drive and it is like a new car. Nice and tight. Even the steering feels better. No clunks. So I approved the work, signed the invoice and drove it home.

Here are the part numbers from the invoice:

(1) 4B3-413-031-R SHOCK ABSORB
(1) 4B3-413-031-B SHOCK ABSORB
(1) 4B3-513-032 GASSHOCKAB
(1) 4B3-513-032 GASSHOCKAB
(4) G-052-731-A2 HYDR. OIL
(1) 4B3-616-808-A VALVE
(1) 4B3-616-807-A VALVE

$6268.06

I paid a $100 deductable and was without my car in an Audi loaner for 3 weeks.

I agree that this is not a permanant fix. However I now have a 12 month/12K mile warranty on the parts and labor in addition to 3 more years and 30K miles left on the Fidelity warranty. If it fails again I'll have it replaced again. By 75K miles I'll be looking at a different/newer vehicle anyway.

On a side note, they have a Daytona Gray R8 manual 6 speed in the service bay for PDI and it was very nice. Sticker was $134K. I hope they treat the R8 owners better than the RS6 owners....

I'll provide an update if anything starts clunking again. I have standing instructions with my car in the database to check the struts for leaks with every service (oil change, etc.) That should be coming up in a month or so since they forgot to replace the RS6 badge on the steering wheel and the peeling surround on the passenger window switch.

Yellow RS6
January 14th, 2009, 20:34
$6268? Holy sh*t!!! I thought it was around $4500. This doesn't help my fear of keeping mine and having DRC go in the next year or two. As far as the 12mo/12K warranty, I'm glad to hear it's for parts AND labor, I've wondered about that. Question is, if it were to crap out in 6 months and get replaced, would it be covered for another 12/12 from then, or only have 6 months left?

I looked at the service records of mine the night I listed the FS ad, and it looked like the DRC was done at 45K (it has 57K now). I'll have to look again when I get home and compare the parts to Copper's list.

Copper
January 14th, 2009, 20:47
Yellow, if it fails again the clock would reset and another 12 month 12K mile warranty on the new work would be available. I think a few people on the board have taken advantage of this (unfortunately).

As long as Jim Ellis has your VIN# on record for the work being performed then you should be covered, even if the work was done by a different Audi dealer. They might push back since you are not the original owner but I think the coverage applies to the car's VIN# not the owner. Since this is a safety issue, one call to the Audi RS6 line would resolve that pretty quickly I would think. I never had to take it to that extreme.

DuckWingDuck
January 14th, 2009, 20:50
R8 is entirely too overpriced! It may invoice for $134K but dealers are still shamelessly tagging on an average of around $50K onto the purchase price. $200K Audi? Come on now, I love the brand but I won't be spending that money for an R8!

vangelis
January 14th, 2009, 21:05
Yellow, if it fails again the clock would reset and another 12 month 12K mile warranty on the new work would be available. I think a few people on the board have taken advantage of this (unfortunately).

As long as Jim Ellis has your VIN# on record for the work being performed then you should be covered, even if the work was done by a different Audi dealer. They might push back since you are not the original owner but I think the coverage applies to the car's VIN# not the owner. Since this is a safety issue, one call to the Audi RS6 line would resolve that pretty quickly I would think. I never had to take it to that extreme.

I have taken advantage of this and replaced my DRC twice so far for free and still warranty valid for more 8 months. Although that,, I did purchased KW v3 coilover and H-sport anti-roll sway bars and waiting to receive them (maybe by first of next week) to adjust the suspension and lower the car little bit and also forget about the DRC hassles.

vangelis
January 14th, 2009, 21:08
R8 is entirely too overpriced! It may invoice for $134K but dealers are still shamelessly tagging on an average of around $50K onto the purchase price. $200K Audi? Come on now, I love the brand but I won't be spending that money for an R8!

DWD,, the 2009 R8 here in UAE for $134K ,, and 2009 RS6 sedan for $130K.

DuckWingDuck
January 14th, 2009, 22:25
Ya, is that with or without a dealer markup?

DHall1
January 15th, 2009, 01:17
I dont think the dealers will stick to those markups when push comes to shove. Chandler Audi up the road has 3 R8s. How would you like to pay interest on all 3 for 6 months??? You walk in, they will sell you one.

DHall1
January 15th, 2009, 01:25
Yellow,

This is not really apples to apples.

"IF" your DRC craps out. The CPO will cover both central valves. You will only have to pay for struts.

If I were in your shoes. I would fix it once if one of the struts started to leak. You would only pay for one strut and CPO will pay for the central valve. I think you can get by that way.

IMHO Copper had these guys over a barrel. They screwed up trying to go the cheap route because they tried and failed to repressure the central valve. Then Copper put the hammer down and had everything replaced.

Make sense? Dont worry about the car. Go out and beat up some STIs.

$6268? Holy sh*t!!! I thought it was around $4500. This doesn't help my fear of keeping mine and having DRC go in the next year or two. As far as the 12mo/12K warranty, I'm glad to hear it's for parts AND labor, I've wondered about that. Question is, if it were to crap out in 6 months and get replaced, would it be covered for another 12/12 from then, or only have 6 months left?

I looked at the service records of mine the night I listed the FS ad, and it looked like the DRC was done at 45K (it has 57K now). I'll have to look again when I get home and compare the parts to Copper's list.

Bigglezworth
January 15th, 2009, 01:41
Tim, why Bilstein? The PSS9 is well documented for having issues (though I think not structurally just a rubbing/noise issue.Price point and the fact that I've run it on an M5 with no issues whatsoever.

DuckWingDuck
January 15th, 2009, 03:09
how much are you getting them for? I thought only H&R were significantly cheaper than the others...?

Bigglezworth
January 15th, 2009, 04:05
how much are you getting them for? I thought only H&R were significantly cheaper than the others...?I guess the "cheaper" is all relative. My seaching has come up with a difference in price between the highest and lowest price of more than $800 for a set. Given that I have to pay exchange which is down again from a few months ago and of course tax, up from savings is important. I'm not a person that can justify slight improvements for double the price. I spent $1,200.00USD on the fully adjustable Tein Flex for my NSX and currently looking at just over $1,400.00USD for the Bilsteins set up for the beast. I don't pay for labour. :)

Tim

DuckWingDuck
January 15th, 2009, 04:46
damn, that is a great price for bilstein! Not even H&Rs were that cheap.

MalcolmS
January 15th, 2009, 20:16
Took my car first thing this morning to Audi to have the front passenger side strut replaced. They said Audi allow 3 hours for the job but it would probably take a little longer.

4:30 this afternoon they called to say it won't be ready until tomorrow - they're having "trouble bleeding it"...

Yellow RS6
January 15th, 2009, 22:03
"IF" your DRC craps out. The CPO will cover both central valves. You will only have to pay for struts.

If I were in your shoes. I would fix it once if one of the struts started to leak. You would only pay for one strut and CPO will pay for the central valve. I think you can get by that way.

Ok, I misunderstood something in all these DRC threads. I thought all struts had to be replaced, even if only one was bad. Glad to hear that's not the case.

But, like you said, this is all "IF" talk in my case. My DRC is fine right now, I was just freaking out when I read that some people have had to replace it a couple times and that CPO doesn't cover it. But I have since learned that if you do replace the DRC, it is warrantied for 12/12 (parts and labor), and that CPO does at least cover some parts (like the CVs). I will enjoy the car for now - but will still sell it if the right offer comes along.

Copper
January 16th, 2009, 02:31
Also, let me clarify that the reason my invoice was $6K was (as Mr. Hall mentions) that the dealer was instructed by Fidelity to try the strut replacement, fluid top-off and repressure the valve approach first. If they just fixed it the proper way first then I'm sure it would be in the $4500-$5000 range.

On a side note, I went downtown to a concert for a friend's birthday last night and was able to test the car in nice open highway and tight bumpy city road conditions. I forgot how well this car performs with properly working DRC. It is like a new car. Seriously, I'm pissed that I waited a full year before pushing the issue. The ride is nice and tight and even the steering is much, much tighter. I've been complaining that the DRC system is too harsh but with a fully-functional system it is really not bad at all. It feels very solid. Sometime I'd like a ride in an RS6 with KWs with 18" wheels as a comparison. The RS6 is really an amazing piece of machinery. Too bad this one design flaw has soured so many owners to an otherwise perfect car.

MalcolmS
January 16th, 2009, 18:23
got mine back this afternoon and like copper I'm kicking myself for putting off the repair for so long - it's like a different car. On my drive home which includes a mixture of motorway, town and country roads (34 miles) there was non of the crashing and banging noises coming from the back corners. It seemed to recover quicker from any sudden road dips instead of the previous 'bouncy feeling'...

Only one shock was replaced and the bill was £474 gbp which the warranty company picked up (we get 24 mths unlimited mileage warranty with the parts over here).

The car is still covered by warranty overall and now that I think i can tell the difference between a working and busted DRC I'll be back at Audi the first noise I hear! :-)

Malcolm

RS6richard
January 17th, 2009, 00:38
I bought my first RS6 at the end of November from an independant dealer. As part of the purchase I had it inspected by Audi Newbury who gave the car a clean bill of health.
Now just under 2 months and 2,000 miles later the OSR shock has gone and my local Audi dealer in Amersham have quoted £1,700 to replace this, the DRC system and the NSF shock. Once fitted as MalcolmS stated they give 24 months/unlimited mileage warranty, but of course I am likely to have to replace the other diagonal before then.
I have contacted Audi Customer services and the supplying dealer, and am considering taking them to the small claims court for selling a product that is not fit for purpose - regardless of warranty. The car is under four years old with 40K on the clock and FASH.
Reading all the forums I am stunned at how common this DRC issue is, and as such I am determined to pursue Audi for compensation.
The car is just out of warranty so life is expensive at the moment :-(
I also noticed a steering wheel vibration under braking from motorway speeds, the car had new discs and pads all round at 36K so could this be linked to the failed DRC?

hahnmgh63
January 17th, 2009, 12:45
The floating design of the rotors tends to give a bit of vibration under braking but it should be very light unless warped. The factory pads also ad to this problem with depositing material on the rotors. The factory pads are soft and dust a lot, and are very expensive.

DHall1
January 27th, 2009, 00:30
Just to link in a nice thread on what Audi is doing for the DRC. Here is the link

http://rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17488

It seems we may have an all new redesign for the DRC.

Copper
January 28th, 2009, 17:38
Is the "Audi will fix all 1200 US-based DRC systems with upgraded parts" a hoax?

mmaturo
January 28th, 2009, 17:41
Is the "Audi will fix all 1200 US-based DRC systems with upgraded parts" a hoax?

Not sounding like it from Audiworld and my emails with the guy. It seems to be real. We'll see.

DHall1
January 28th, 2009, 18:05
Copper,

I really think all the arrows are pointing in this direction. Its going to happen. Far too many data points up to and including Qisha on this board seem to know of bits and pieces.

Yeah, I know you just had yours fixed. But this will take months to develop and start the ball rolling. Enjoy your fixed DRC while everyone else works the buggs out.

BTW, official count of RS6 in the US is 986 cars. Right from the Audi VP.

DuckWingDuck
January 28th, 2009, 19:16
As I've been saying all along, I'll see it when my car's on the jack. But from a liability perspective, I think this opens up Audi to too many pitfalls, I mean, there are a lot of people who are in my position, people that have swapped out their DRC for an aftermarket system, how will people like us get compensated? Audi is _not_ going to write me a check, and until I feel there is compelling evidence that this "fix" is a real one, I wouldn't take out my KW for this new DRC. What are the technical details behind this fix?

Here's the thing, we are talking about a very technical and engineering-heavy issue, unless Audi has been working on this "fix" for a long time, I can't imagine that the threat of a class action law-suit that's been initiated in the past what, month or two, would result in a fix. And honestly, I wouldn't trust a rushed fix either.

DHall1
January 28th, 2009, 19:22
Qisha did make a comment to this effect. Things have been in the works for some time. I think the timing of the threats....class action and DOT have caused a spilling of some of the beans to keep us quiet and to assure us that a fix is on the way.

I do think Audi would write you a check if you went down the aftermarket road.

As I've been saying all along, I'll see it when my car's on the jack. But from a liability perspective, I think this opens up Audi to too many pitfalls, I mean, there are a lot of people who are in my position, people that have swapped out their DRC for an aftermarket system, how will people like us get compensated? Audi is _not_ going to write me a check, and until I feel there is compelling evidence that this "fix" is a real one, I wouldn't take out my KW for this new DRC. What are the technical details behind this fix?

Here's the thing, we are talking about a very technical and engineering-heavy issue, unless Audi has been working on this "fix" for a long time, I can't imagine that the threat of a class action law-suit that's been initiated in the past what, month or two, would result in a fix. And honestly, I wouldn't trust a rushed fix either.

snoopra
February 2nd, 2009, 20:51
Spoke to an AoA rep today, told me the service action is "under review" and should be completed by FALL:)

GEN XER
February 3rd, 2009, 05:41
Im new here and I just got my RS6. It looks like you guys have had a problem similar to the one we had in our coolant systems in the SRT8's that Chrysler still refuses to really acknowledge as a problem. Will a new owner like me qualify for this repair? The former owner of this car did have a problem with his DRC and it was repaired under CPO, but it still had clunking noises according to him.

DuckWingDuck
February 3rd, 2009, 05:55
ya, the drc isn't an one time fix. just because it got swapped out doesn't mean it won't break again.

mmaturo
February 3rd, 2009, 06:07
Im new here and I just got my RS6. It looks like you guys have had a problem similar to the one we had in our coolant systems in the SRT8's that Chrysler still refuses to really acknowledge as a problem. Will a new owner like me qualify for this repair? The former owner of this car did have a problem with his DRC and it was repaired under CPO, but it still had clunking noises according to him.

If it happens you will be covered in terms of getting the system replacement. Not holding my breath but things seem to be moving.

GEN XER
February 3rd, 2009, 15:19
If it happens you will be covered in terms of getting the system replacement. Not holding my breath but things seem to be moving.

You sound like I did with the coolant issue with Chrysler. Eventually I switched to a better coolant and installed a coolant filter on the car after the dealer flushed it about 7-8 times per the TSB. the forum fix worked better.

DHall1
February 17th, 2009, 15:42
http://rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17488

Please read post #66

DHall1
March 6th, 2009, 15:32
http://rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?p=155258#post155258

Just to keep information updated.

topcat_92
March 6th, 2009, 16:47
Just dropped the RS6 for the 75K service. Asst. service manager was just officially informed of the factory DRC fix yesterday. I'll be the first in line for the fix is August.

SAF
March 6th, 2009, 16:58
Sweet, a guinea pig! lol

langstone
March 28th, 2009, 12:37
There is a campaign building in the on the RS246 forum in the UK to get Audi to acknowledge the fact that there is a fundamental flaw in the RS6 and RS4 suspension system something which Audi UK deny.

If anyone here woukd like to contribute the link is here:

http://rs246.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=76020&postdays=0&postorder=asc

Mark

Mark Porter
April 10th, 2009, 10:34
I have a good story for all you people out there about this ill post it over the weekend!!!!!!!!!! you wont believe it its good!!!!!:rolleyes::addict:

MalcolmS
April 11th, 2009, 19:57
I have a good story for all you people out there about this ill post it over the weekend!!!!!!!!!! you wont believe it its good!!!!!:rolleyes::addict:

"DRC Madness" and "...a good story" - can those two phrases really go together?! Can't wait! :)

Malcolm

Mark Porter
April 12th, 2009, 19:01
Well here we go!!! i brought the car off a bloke i used to work for 15 years ago,he went out and treated himsef to a new v10 model !!! so 1 gave him £10500 for it as he asked,had it for a couple of weeks and a knocking from the osr appeared,took it to worthing audi to have new osr and nsf fitted,got a phone call saying the compensater is knackered too so they put one on for me at the same time,picked the car up all done no prob the bill was £1300. a few days later a knock appeared fron the nsf again so back it went!! got it back 2 days later. A couple of days went past and another knock from the nsf !!! back it went!!!!!! they put another nsf on and guess wot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ugot it!!!! knock knock knock!!!!! by this time im getting a little pissed off as you can imagine!!! audi will not admit they have a dodgy batch and no help from the tech guys either.So back it went again and they replaced it with another this time it had a different label on it???different batch??? they road tested it themselves and can you believe it !!!! it blew on them!!!! good i thought now they can do something about it.so i got the car back on thursday just gone and so far so good!!!!!!! wot a bloody nightmare!!!!! thought you guys would like this one!!!!!! :addict::bye:

GEN XER
April 12th, 2009, 19:49
This cant be good for Audi. Not at all. I dont care how old the car is, its your flagship model and if this is what we can expect from your flagship models then what the hell is going into the downline models?

DHall1
April 12th, 2009, 20:37
Your english translation gets lost alittle but I think we can follow.

1. Where are you located? UK?
2. Did you get all your money back for the DRC repairs?
3. Give up on Audi to fix this.
4. If your in the UK, please call Grizz at Unit20.
5. If not in UK, get a quote on H/R or K/W coilovers and get them installed.

Your problems will be over.

Audi UK have no chance at fixing the DRC. Period.

Well here we go!!! i brought the car off a bloke i used to work for 15 years ago,he went out and treated himsef to a new v10 model !!! so 1 gave him £10500 for it as he asked,had it for a couple of weeks and a knocking from the osr appeared,took it to worthing audi to have new osr and nsf fitted,got a phone call saying the compensater is knackered too so they put one on for me at the same time,picked the car up all done no prob the bill was £1300. a few days later a knock appeared fron the nsf again so back it went!! got it back 2 days later. A couple of days went past and another knock from the nsf !!! back it went!!!!!! they put another nsf on and guess wot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ugot it!!!! knock knock knock!!!!! by this time im getting a little pissed off as you can imagine!!! audi will not admit they have a dodgy batch and no help from the tech guys either.So back it went again and they replaced it with another this time it had a different label on it???different batch??? they road tested it themselves and can you believe it !!!! it blew on them!!!! good i thought now they can do something about it.so i got the car back on thursday just gone and so far so good!!!!!!! wot a bloody nightmare!!!!! thought you guys would like this one!!!!!! :addict::bye:

DHall1
April 12th, 2009, 20:38
Willie,

True but I dont see Chevy Grid Girls looking like that with those hot pants. Give me that Avatar. Haha

This cant be good for Audi. Not at all. I dont care how old the car is, its your flagship model and if this is what we can expect from your flagship models then what the hell is going into the downline models?

GEN XER
April 12th, 2009, 21:26
Willie,

True but I dont see Chevy Grid Girls looking like that with those hot pants. Give me that Avatar. Haha

Yes thats true.

Mark Porter
April 27th, 2009, 22:56
Anyone breaking a rs6 avant on here????? need a few bits for another one ive got hold of !!!!!!!:burnout::dig:

ben916
April 28th, 2009, 00:41
Willie,

Yeah but the "fill up location" is, well.... not properly situated....

DuckWingDuck
April 28th, 2009, 04:28
ben - check your email, ran into an rs6 this weekend that might have your name on it!!

DHall1
May 7th, 2009, 21:15
We can close the book on this saga for now.

http://rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18401

SAF
May 8th, 2009, 15:25
<B>I</B> can close the book on this saga for now.

fix.t
(lots of cars left to go. Let's not assume anything yet.)

Spidercat
May 9th, 2009, 01:19
I holding out a little hope that there won't be a sticky next year entitled "My new upgraded DRC is broke again!!!" Hopefully, if/when that occurs, the aftermarket upgrade $$$ will still be available to us poor saps who believe Audi every time they blow sunshine up our collective butts.

This is the last time! If it happens again, I'm leaving you! I really, really mean it this time, Audi!

DHall1
May 9th, 2009, 01:40
Not a big deal for me.

DRC can fail every year once a year for 6 years and I am still covered.

Not going to dampen my day. Hehe...dampen.

Now, if it starts failing 2 times a year. Another story.

I holding out a little hope that there won't be a sticky next year entitled "My new upgraded DRC is broke again!!!" Hopefully, if/when that occurs, the aftermarket upgrade $$$ will still be available to us poor saps who believe Audi every time they blow sunshine up our collective butts.

This is the last time! If it happens again, I'm leaving you! I really, really mean it this time, Audi!

RS6richard
May 9th, 2009, 12:28
Audi UK have now admitted the DRC on C5 RS6 are faulty, and can be replaced under extended warranty. There is an article in Autoexpress, please email me at RichardEPatterson@gmail.com and I'll send you a copy. I suggest you contact Audi UK if you have issues and qualify under their "full Audi service, orig DRC parts terms".

hahnmgh63
May 9th, 2009, 14:35
For me the dealer is over an hour away and they don't give courtesy cars so that is almost 2.5 hours round trip. So I'm not fully decided but I think I'll hold out until August but I'm keeping my New in the box KW V3's ready to go with the new top mounts. I'm going to ask the dealer to replace the top mounts as any car that is 6 years old has some degree of rubber deterioration.

Reggie
July 2nd, 2009, 22:48
New to this forum so I am saying hi -Info I got from my dealer this week on the DRCs:http://forums.quattroworld.com/rs4b7/msgs/7335.phtml

StevieG.
July 13th, 2009, 17:03
Just called my dealer in Roswell Georgia, they have no news on the DRC / shock replacement program. The letter I received in February stated that the necessary parts inventory would not be available until early August....thought the dealership would have at least heard about it.

Where are some of you located that have had yours replaced?

topcat_92
July 13th, 2009, 19:32
Seattle, WA

Dogsoldier
July 13th, 2009, 22:10
Beverly Hills.

Reggie
July 14th, 2009, 00:22
Just called my dealer in Roswell Georgia, they have no news on the DRC / shock replacement program. The letter I received in February stated that the necessary parts inventory would not be available until early August....thought the dealership would have at least heard about it.

Where are some of you located that have had yours replaced?
Steve

The recall is not suppose to go out until this fall per my dealer - Prestige in Denver.

Reggie

DHall1
July 14th, 2009, 03:47
IMHO.....I am not a fan of Prestige Audi in Denver. That note aside.

There are several members that already have the new systems installed. Several dealers have the new special tool and are installing the new setups for thier customers. I didnt even have to hoot and holler. Audi called me and made all the arrangements.

As for "this fall". We are just a couple weeks out from August. August is hard written in the service docs.

Steve

The recall is not suppose to go out until this fall per my dealer - Prestige in Denver.

Reggie

SAF
July 18th, 2009, 05:31
Got mine done in Houston.

maverik09
July 28th, 2009, 08:48
I was wondering if anyone that had not had any prior problems with their DRC was going to wait. I currently have a RS6 with no problems, and no priors and I am kind of hesitant to take it in and have it fixed when there are no apparent problems. I have the current letter, but it really doesn't give a time frame for how long they may be doing the repairs.

vangelis
July 28th, 2009, 10:38
I was wondering if anyone that had not had any prior problems with their DRC was going to wait. I currently have a RS6 with no problems, and no priors and I am kind of hesitant to take it in and have it fixed when there are no apparent problems. I have the current letter, but it really doesn't give a time frame for how long they may be doing the repairs.

Lucky that you didn't face an problems with ur DRC so far,but you never know when it will leak. So better go for the imporved ones as it is free already and for sure they will do better job than original ones even if both are not leaking (i think so).

RS6-4dr911
July 28th, 2009, 16:22
You might think it's fine but I bet if you look carefully you'll find seepage at the top of the shocks. It may be performing just fine, or so little degradation you don't realize it.

Mine were fine when I bought it (24k mi), but within 18 months or so I thought I noticed some occasional weird handling, then the occasional clunk in the trunk, then we checked and saw the seepage.

If you're still convinced it's fine, I'd be inclined to wait for a while, let the shop of your choice get as many under their belt as you can before you change them out.

DHall1
July 28th, 2009, 20:38
Mine started the very same way.

23k all was good.
26k all was good.
28k and after a few days of driving the car in a performance manner....clunk in the trunk just started to appear. Very quiet clunk as there was still some pressure in the lines. But the clunk was there if you turned everything off and listened. Also, the edge and handling was gone. Shock seepage also appeared.
29k car fixed with the new setup and pressure returned. Car back to normal and 100% fixed.
30k all is good and car is perfect.

You might think it's fine but I bet if you look carefully you'll find seepage at the top of the shocks. It may be performing just fine, or so little degradation you don't realize it.

Mine were fine when I bought it (24k mi), but within 18 months or so I thought I noticed some occasional weird handling, then the occasional clunk in the trunk, then we checked and saw the seepage.

If you're still convinced it's fine, I'd be inclined to wait for a while, let the shop of your choice get as many under their belt as you can before you change them out.

RS6-4dr911
July 28th, 2009, 21:00
Stay on topic Dave. You didn't say anything but I know you were thinking it.

DHall1
July 29th, 2009, 00:12
You mean no apparent problems?

You can look at it many ways. Subjective-how the car is handling or the clunk. Objective-leaks or seepage at the very top the strut housing.

Apparent-subjective or objective.

Subjective is very hard to pin down. You may think its ok but really it has lost pressure or balance and you may not know it. Is the clunk the DRC or a loose clamp? Again very hard to pin down. Chances are your DRC is leaking or has leaked.

Objective is alittle easier. Jack up the car and pop the wheel off. Open eyes and look for oil seepage. What if the leak was old and the oil was washed off?

All in all, find the dealer that has knowledge of the problem and made the effort to make sure the fix is up to speed with all new special tools and the such.

RS6-4dr911
July 29th, 2009, 00:47
I was just trying to take a jab at you for even thinking about getting off-topic as you are often persecuted for doing - I missed the mark - losing my touch. Continue the discussion without me.

My DRC gets replaced next week, maybe I can make a positive contribution then to repent.

PS - tried 6speedonline, think I'll stick it out here.

DHall1
July 29th, 2009, 02:22
Got it this time,

Trust me, there is nothing but on topic on this forum. Thats fine with me. If you cant prove your case 100% and back it up thats fine with me too. I will preface all of my posts and may even add a line in my sig that says take all my posts as subjective banter. Dont ask for proof, dont ask for pics, dont ask for anything. :race:

This is still the best forum for RS6 content. 6speed is only for political reasons not RS6 content.

Good luck with the DRC. Have a look at the new special tool while your there.

Stay on topic Dave. You didn't say anything but I know you were thinking it.

maverik09
August 3rd, 2009, 00:08
Hey guys, sorry, I've been out of town. As for now, it's subjective. No felt problems. Only objective is in the form of no current issues noticed on the concrete beneath my car in the garage, but I don't currently have the equipment to jack up the car and check it out in the garage. Luckily though, my car is currently at 53500, so, it won't be long before I'll have it in for the 55000 service, we'll definitely check it out then. My main concern is, I live in MS. I currently probably have one of the only one of these within this state and the only dealership is in Jackson. Not the drive I'm concerned about, but the service. As per the manager, "Yea, we don't do too much work on any of the RS vehicles." My next closest major city is either Atlanta or Houston, any recommendations on dealers in those two areas that would be a lot more competent at performing the switch??

hahnmgh63
August 3rd, 2009, 00:14
I was turned down by Audi for my KW shocks. I gave them the copy of the receipt but they wanted to see something from the dealer saying that my DRC was bad. The car was off warranty so I didn't take it to the dealer to pay them to tell me it was bad. I have a fully outfitted shop with a lift at my house so I did the work myself but that wasn't good enough for them.

DuckWingDuck
August 3rd, 2009, 15:05
damn, I got a letter from Audi asking for a better explanation too, I've been out of the country so I haven't had the time to call but that's the response that I was afraid of! Will update y'all when I get back to hear what they say to me.

DonS
August 7th, 2009, 21:25
Hmm, my dealer and I received the DRC letter this week. The local dealer called me and my car has an appointment to inspect the DRC system on Monday – nice proactive work on their part (they probably need the revenue). I think they system is working as expected. I don't have confidence in my local dealer as the guy that called me didn't know about any specialized tools to pressurize the system and this is the second RS6 to grace their shop (the first has moved on). If they find leaks, maybe a trip to a <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Chicago</st1:place></st1:City> dealer would be smarter than them learning their way through my car...

MikeL01
August 8th, 2009, 17:40
My Audi Service rep called me yesterday stating all the parts and specific tools are in for my RS6. He told me they needed two days to complete the work (with a standard oil change/service). They are even going to provide a loaner Audi for those days. Hmmmmm.

DHall1
August 9th, 2009, 08:27
Don,

Call the Audi RS6 customer assistance folks.

I think they can help coordinate the education and special tool needs for your local dealer.

I can look up the name of my guy that did all the work on my appt. Give me a day or two.

Hmm, my dealer and I received the DRC letter this week. The local dealer called me and my car has an appointment to inspect the DRC system on Monday – nice proactive work on their part (they probably need the revenue). I think they system is working as expected. I don't have confidence in my local dealer as the guy that called me didn't know about any specialized tools to pressurize the system and this is the second RS6 to grace their shop (the first has moved on). If they find leaks, maybe a trip to a <st1:city w:st="on"><st1>:place w:st="on">Chicago</st1>:place></st1:city> dealer would be smarter than them learning their way through my car...

DonS
August 9th, 2009, 14:49
Thanks DHall1. With good instruction and documentation, any decent mechanic SHOULD be able to do the work. Heck, I rebuilt my 3.2l Porsche motor a couple of years back reading a book and getting reassuance from a forum and its running like a champ!

SAF
August 9th, 2009, 19:18
My DRC gets replaced next week, maybe I can make a positive contribution then to repent.

Did you get fixed up?

T3
August 10th, 2009, 02:30
Had mine replaced 4 weeks ago. Immediately had a leak, so they had to replace a bolt and re-pressurize. Seems ok now, but not great. Definitely softer.

Has anyone noticed a slight instability in the back when going over bumps, particularly when in a left turn? Almost like the back is sliding or shifting to the right a bit.

RS6-4dr911
August 10th, 2009, 22:05
Not yet Scott. They found a broken hydraulic line somewhere they weren't expecting and had to order it, was hoping today but likely tomorrow or Wednesday at this point.

LIRS6
August 10th, 2009, 22:32
Has anyone noticed a slight instability in the back when going over bumps, particularly when in a left turn? Almost like the back is sliding or shifting to the right a bit.

Ugh - not good. That's standard DRC failure symptoms IMO

Good luck

SAF
August 11th, 2009, 00:00
Had mine replaced 4 weeks ago. Immediately had a leak, so they had to replace a bolt and re-pressurize. Seems ok now, but not great. Definitely softer.

I agree with above...that is how mine acted when it was completely shot. I bet you lost fluid/pressure somehow since repair, or it wasn't done right to start.

Bob, LMK how it goes!

T3
August 11th, 2009, 02:52
Yeah, that's what I concluded. Dealership claims the repair was done right and the new fix is simply softer, but if so, the new "fix" is a disaster.

mmaturo
August 11th, 2009, 05:23
Yeah, that's what I concluded. Dealership claims the repair was done right and the new fix is simply softer, but if so, the new "fix" is a disaster.

Hmmm.....great...taking mine in Thursday i assume to the same place. already not happy as both issues i just had the car in for (twice) still not fixed.

and i agree that that skipping in the rear was one of my clear symptoms on last two failures.

DHall1
August 11th, 2009, 06:54
The new fix is not softer.

As I have posted before......please check to ensure the dealer has the new special tool. The manual pumping mechanism with gauge that will ensure a proper line pressure and all air bled from the system.

Without the new special tool you are completely in the dark with no guarantee on a proper repair.

The end

Search is your friend. We have 5000 DRC threads and some with very good info.

T3
August 11th, 2009, 15:50
Search is your friend. We have 5000 DRC threads and some with very good info.[/QUOTE]

Easy there. I've read many, many posts - and had four DRC replacements in the last two years, so I have some experience. My questions concern the feel of the "new" fix.

But thanks.

T3
August 11th, 2009, 16:02
Hmmm.....great...taking mine in Thursday i assume to the same place. already not happy as both issues i just had the car in for (twice) still not fixed.

and i agree that that skipping in the rear was one of my clear symptoms on last two failures.

Mark,

Probably the same place - in HP. I like the service team, but am about to toss in the towel on the car. Audi's inability to get the DRC right, and now having to take it back in for the fifth time in the past 24 months, is too much.

Good luck - hopefully yours will go better. I know they're doing a large number of fixes this month. Mine may be an aberration.

Regards,
Tom

RS6-4dr911
August 11th, 2009, 22:49

While it is possible that the new shocks have softer valving, it is highly unlikely since reports of successful repairs do not indicate this as most people have made comments like "nice and firm again" etc. Otherwise, the springs are the same and the system pressure is the same, therefore, dealer is full of it.

KfabR8
August 12th, 2009, 16:50
I just received a second recall notice for my ride. Decided to give them a call and find out if those of us that replaced the Demon Riddled Catastrophe with a proper suspension were going to be hung out to dry.

I was very surprised with the response:

Send in a copy of the receipt for the shocks and the repair order from the dealer and Audi USA would look into reimbursing me for both the replacement shocks (KW's) and the cost of the replacement work.

I'll gather what they want and send it in. It will be interesting to see what comes of it.

side note to this - I found it funny that they guy on the other end of the phone (who was very nice, helpful and pleasant to speak to) was trying to talk me into ditching the KW's and go back to the "new" Demon Riddled Catastrophe. "It would be a free service to get the new and improved Demon Riddled Catastrophe."

Uh... Nah. I think I'll pass, thank you!

snoopra
August 12th, 2009, 21:49
Here's my dilema, I could get the "FREE" replacement work done, but I'll have to front the $1200 to ship my car to PR for installation. I'm thinking, since there's already two reports of failures, several reports of incorrect installation, should I just use my $1200 and buy the KW V3?

RS6-4dr911
August 13th, 2009, 13:30
That sounds like an easy decision.

KfabR8
August 13th, 2009, 15:07
should I just use my $1200 and buy the KW V3?Yup! (and do you really want to take your RS to PR? That would scare me....)

hahnmgh63
August 13th, 2009, 20:49
I just dropped my car off at University Auid in Seattle for the work. They did warn me that the new fix raised the rear end about 1/2". If I don't like it I'll just install the KW's I have in my shop. I know they have done two other cars recently so hopefully they have plenty of practice. They said that Audi quotes 4.5 hours for the repair but that actual time is closer to 8. Nice little A4 loaner, I'll post the results tomorrow evening when I pick up my car and drive the 60 miles back home.

mmaturo
August 14th, 2009, 03:05
Mark,

Probably the same place - in HP. I like the service team, but am about to toss in the towel on the car. Audi's inability to get the DRC right, and now having to take it back in for the fifth time in the past 24 months, is too much.

Good luck - hopefully yours will go better. I know they're doing a large number of fixes this month. Mine may be an aberration.

Regards,
Tom

Tom, mines in Naperville. I'm going to be the 4th one. I am really getting other issues taken care of under my now expired CPO so figured combining it with the DRC was my best bet to get it all fixed and buried in a repair they can charge back to Audi. I did measure my before height last night so 4" in front, 4 1/2" in back from the fender edge to the edge of my 19" OEM wheels. It will be interesting to see if the height is different on return. And the feel...I really pushed it today on the way out there to feel how stiff my car is and it responsiveness to turns (I do not have any skipping in the back...for a change...its planted and stiff now) so as long as the repair doesn't take my usual 3 week visit i hopefully will have a good feel for the difference in mine.

Good luck with yours...I really know the frustration. I almost didn't want to hand over the car as it was running and handling really well today. At least i got the Q7 i requested.

mballard73
August 14th, 2009, 23:29
OK, took my RS6 to the dealer, 3 days to do the job (Prime in Westwood, MA). The first day they just didn't get to it :(.
The second day they didn't get finished, picked it up the end of the third day (they called to say it was finished at 4 PM).
They told me it was a 5 hour job, BTW I scheduled it a week in advance. You think they would have got to it the first day?
When I picked the car up I was surprised when I checked the parts list to see that the central switching valve had not been replaced, I questioned the service manager about it and he said it was not part of the DRC repair kit. Looks like someone else posted the same information, something about the special tool they use now doesn't require the replacement of the valve?? BTW mine was the second one they had done.

After driving it home yesterday and again today I notice two things.
First, I did have the clunk in the trunk and didn't know it, I always thought the noises I heard was from the after market cat-back exhaust banging around (The guy I bought it from in 2007 mentioned he thought it was the exhaust). Nope, it was the DRC problem :doh:.
Rides much better and no more noise now.:thumb:
Second, I do believe that it is riding higher now like some of the other members have posted.

It took a while to get done but it was free at least.
I did have to drive a crappy Camry as a loaner, but it was free too.
Love my RS6! :rs6kiss:

Mark

DHall1
August 15th, 2009, 03:48
New fix is not softer.

If the dealer used the new tool and can note the pressure. The car is working as designed.

The system does not bang like coilovers but when pushed in corners should feel very, very stable.

While it is possible that the new shocks have softer valving, it is highly unlikely since reports of successful repairs do not indicate this as most people have made comments like "nice and firm again" etc. Otherwise, the springs are the same and the system pressure is the same, therefore, dealer is full of it.

DHall1
August 15th, 2009, 03:51
Measure from the center of the rims to the top of the wheel arch. The rear is just about 3/8 inch more gap than the front. 100% in spec and normal.

14 1/8 front
14 1/2 rear

Even from side to side.

Mine has been done for a couple months. Still perfect ride and handling.

OK, took my RS6 to the dealer, 3 days to do the job (Prime in Westwood, MA). The first day they just didn't get to it :(.
The second day they didn't get finished, picked it up the end of the third day (they called to say it was finished at 4 PM).
They told me it was a 5 hour job, BTW I scheduled it a week in advance. You think they would have got to it the first day?
When I picked the car up I was surprised when I checked the parts list to see that the central switching valve had not been replaced, I questioned the service manager about it and he said it was not part of the DRC repair kit. Looks like someone else posted the same information, something about the special tool they use now doesn't require the replacement of the valve?? BTW mine was the second one they had done.

After driving it home yesterday and again today I notice two things.
First, I did have the clunk in the trunk and didn't know it, I always thought the noises I heard was from the after market cat-back exhaust banging around (The guy I bought it from in 2007 mentioned he thought it was the exhaust). Nope, it was the DRC problem :doh:.
Rides much better and no more noise now.:thumb:
Second, I do believe that it is riding higher now like some of the other members have posted.

It took a while to get done but it was free at least.
I did have to drive a crappy Camry as a loaner, but it was free too.
Love my RS6! :rs6kiss:

Mark

snoopra
August 16th, 2009, 04:30
DHall1, did they replace the rubber upper mounts? Central valves? Connecting lines?

DHall1
August 16th, 2009, 05:02
No, no, and no.

But remember my car only had 28k and never in harsh environments. The undercarriage is clean enough to eat off of.

DHall1, did they replace the rubber upper mounts? Central valves? Connecting lines?

snoopra
August 16th, 2009, 05:09
OK:thumb: I'm still in the sub-28K region but she came from the IL area, there's several areas and signs of corrosion on the DRC lines, engine mounts, undercarriage. Oh, and some undercarriage road rash:D

DHall1
August 16th, 2009, 05:15
Did you get your Vag-Com issues sorted yet?

OK:thumb: I'm still in the sub-28K region but she came from the IL area, there's several areas and signs of corrosion on the DRC lines, engine mounts, undercarriage. Oh, and some undercarriage road rash:D

snoopra
August 16th, 2009, 05:24
Kinda, there's definately a short in the wiring for the oil level sensor.

SAF
August 16th, 2009, 21:01
http://www.rs6.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8432&d=1250395321

Holy spit-shine Batman!

s42ski
August 17th, 2009, 02:54
Time to chime in - I have letter in from Audi in hand and called the two local dealers. Pacific service told me that they might only need to replace one or two shocks since the others were replaced in the last six months:vgrumpy: OK so maybe the service guy was not clear on what the letter said ( replace ALL the shocks - that means 4!)

Long Beach (Circle Audi) was honest and said they have not done any repairs with the new system yet. Any So Cal members have there cars done yet ? where ? Results ?

DHall1
August 17th, 2009, 03:18
Give Greg a call. He has a good relationship with his dealer. Also, Hyoctane has connections.

Oh, and call Audi customer service. Tell them there are still idiots out there

Time to chime in - I have letter in from Audi in hand and called the two local dealers. Pacific service told me that they might only need to replace one or two shocks since the others were replaced in the last six months:vgrumpy: OK so maybe the service guy was not clear on what the letter said ( replace ALL the shocks - that means 4!)

Long Beach (Circle Audi) was honest and said they have not done any repairs with the new system yet. Any So Cal members have there cars done yet ? where ? Results ?

mmaturo
August 17th, 2009, 03:24

Mine said they are comparing the part numbers from my last repair 6 months ago too. I did the compare myself back then from the invoice and mine were all 4 the old parts so i expect to get 4 new shocks. I doubt you would have two new part numbers and two old?? But if for some reason you already have two shocks with the right numbers then they are right. At this point they think that with the new shocks and the new tool to pressurize the system will do the trick.

Dogsoldier
August 17th, 2009, 16:22
"Any So Cal members have there cars done yet ? where ? Results ?"

Got mine done at BH Audi and so far, so good. Tim Bennet is the guy to talk to there.<!-- / message -->

DuckWingDuck
August 17th, 2009, 20:21
It looks like BH Audi is the one in the area that's done the most

DonS
August 21st, 2009, 03:16
Here is some easy reading from the ELSAWin repair software:

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Dynamic Ride Control (DRC) system, filling
General information
Exclusive use is to be made of approved oil for filling or topping off (see Parts catalog).
Replacement shock absorbers and lines are supplied empty.
Filling is to be performed only at ambient temperature (approx. 20 ° C).
Shock absorbers are only to be filled in the installed position.
Line and shock absorber must be drained, evacuated and filled separately.
Vehicle must not be allowed to stand on its wheels when DRC system is open (e.g. open line/shock absorber connection).
Valves on filling appliance are open when shutoff levers are in parallel with direction of flow.
Draining, evacuation or filling of lines is to be performed in area of rear axle/spare wheel well. Pay attention to the following:
<LI class=nonenone>‒ Remove heat shield in area of exhaust system.
‒ Unfasten bolted joint of center unit at spare wheel well.

Lines are not to be bent.

AND

DRC troubleshooting
No pressure at both center valves
Troubleshooting table
<TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0><COLGROUP span=3><COL width="12%"><COL width="44%"><COL width="44%"></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black thin solid; BORDER-LEFT: black thin solid; PADDING-LEFT: 1ex; PADDING-RIGHT: 1ex; BORDER-TOP: black thin solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black thin solid" align=left>Vehicle reaction
</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black thin solid; BORDER-LEFT: black thin solid; PADDING-LEFT: 1ex; PADDING-RIGHT: 1ex; BORDER-TOP: black thin solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black thin solid" align=middle>Remarks
</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black thin solid; BORDER-LEFT: black thin solid; PADDING-LEFT: 1ex; PADDING-RIGHT: 1ex; BORDER-TOP: black thin solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black thin solid" align=middle>Corrective action
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black thin solid; BORDER-LEFT: black thin solid; PADDING-LEFT: 1ex; PADDING-RIGHT: 1ex; BORDER-TOP: black thin solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black thin solid" align=left>
<LI class=nonenone>◆ Severe roll <LI class=nonenone>◆ Sluggish steering response <LI class=nonenone>◆ Severe overshoot on vertical actuation
◆ Rumbling with individual obstacles
</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black thin solid; BORDER-LEFT: black thin solid; PADDING-LEFT: 1ex; PADDING-RIGHT: 1ex; BORDER-TOP: black thin solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black thin solid" align=left>
<LI class=nonenone>◆ All-in-all similar to behavior of vehicle with faulty shock absorbers or extremely restricted damping
◆ Function check with shock tester/identification of damaged shock absorbers
</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black thin solid; BORDER-LEFT: black thin solid; PADDING-LEFT: 1ex; PADDING-RIGHT: 1ex; BORDER-TOP: black thin solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black thin solid" align=left>
<LI class=nonenone>◆ Replace center valves
◆ Charge system
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

MikeL01
August 23rd, 2009, 14:50
My repair is taking longer than expected, The service manager called to state they are replacing the lines as well. The lines are comming from Canada. He was quick to say I would not be charged for the lines which was approved by AOA. The A3 S-line loaner is fun smaller car.

gregoryindiana
August 28th, 2009, 05:28
I have watched this thread develop.

My car is at around 21K now; never any DRC problem. I bought the car in Louisville, had some annual service there for 2 years, then annual service since at Continental in Naperville, as it is a more convenient trip for me to Chicago metro. I have had oil changes done at my local Audi dealer, who was not in the RS6 program, but I knew they could handle the oil change in between annual services.

Last week I got a call from the service manager at my hometown Audi dealer, saying that the "recall parts for the suspension", and the special tools for the work had arrived and I could schedule the repairs at my convenience.

I had planned to make arrangements with Continental, since Mark had a good experience there, and they have done 4 others per him as well. Now, I don't know why my dealer in town got the tool and the parts, before I talked to them.

Bottom line: With all that is at stake, would you opt to stay local with the competent tech who has done nothing to RS6 but oil changes, but who can read a manual and follow directions, or would you bail and go to Naperville, where they have done at least 4 already??

Thanks!

DHall1
August 28th, 2009, 15:09
If your honest and open with the local dealer and sit down the staff to discuss the plan....that would be my only consideration. Express your concerns and ask questions.

Did you go over the steps exactly?
Did you read and review the literature?
Do you realize several dealers are having a difficult time doing this?
Are you willing to do whatever it takes to make this repair correct?
Are you willing to call Audi tech assist and speak with staff before you start on my car?

Face to face with the tech and get some straight answers.

I have watched this thread develop.

My car is at around 21K now; never any DRC problem. I bought the car in Louisville, had some annual service there for 2 years, then annual service since at Continental in Naperville, as it is a more convenient trip for me to Chicago metro. I have had oil changes done at my local Audi dealer, who was not in the RS6 program, but I knew they could handle the oil change in between annual services.

Last week I got a call from the service manager at my hometown Audi dealer, saying that the "recall parts for the suspension", and the special tools for the work had arrived and I could schedule the repairs at my convenience.

I had planned to make arrangements with Continental, since Mark had a good experience there, and they have done 4 others per him as well. Now, I don't know why my dealer in town got the tool and the parts, before I talked to them.

Bottom line: With all that is at stake, would you opt to stay local with the competent tech who has done nothing to RS6 but oil changes, but who can read a manual and follow directions, or would you bail and go to Naperville, where they have done at least 4 already??

Thanks!

s42ski
August 28th, 2009, 16:34
Well I and am taking my car in on Monday to Circle Audi in Long Beach - they told me they have done 4 cars so far with no issues. They fixed the DRC last time and had it as close to new as I could remember ......

SAF
August 28th, 2009, 18:03

I have never heard of a dealer taking the liberty to order this type of stuff before confirming that you even wanted to get it. That is strange. I thought the customer was the one who is supposed to initiate the procedure, not the dealer.

I would go where you feel the most comfortable, because it is about you feeling good and getting a good job, not about a dealership trying to secure the work by pre-ordering the kit and asking you when you are coming in.

hahnmgh63
August 28th, 2009, 19:33
Same thing happened to me gregoryindiana, my local dealer called to say that my car was under the recall and that I should call them back for an appointment. I didn't have any confidence in them so I elected to drive a hour for another dealer, although, I'm still unhappy with the ride height.

SAF
August 28th, 2009, 20:44
Same thing happened to me gregoryindiana, my local dealer called to say that my car was under the recall and that I should call them back for an appointment.

Calling to inform you of the recall and offering an appointment is one thing, but calling to say they have already ordered your parts, they are in, and then expecting to make an appointment without really knowing if he even still runs the original system is something quite different.

Spidercat
August 28th, 2009, 21:13
Sounds like the dealer wants to drum up some business, since you never had this DRC conversation with them before. Mine had also ordered my parts, but I had talked with them months ago, so I'm glad he remembered. Plus, my options are somewhat limited here.
FWIW, if your local dealer doesn't have an RS6-qualified tech, I'd be hesistant to let them do this no matter how nice they are. He very likely could do it, but why take chances? From the flurry of recent threads on this topic, obviously a lot of RS6-certified mechanics are also screwing this up!

Worst case if the local guy does it:
You'll need a DRC re-do (time w/o RS6 while waiting for app't, parts, etc., plus installation down-time).

If you go to an experienced dealer, your local guy may have some hurt feelings, but that's not really your problem.

Congratulations, by the way, that you've only needed oil changes so far!!!

My 2 cents.

snoopra
August 28th, 2009, 23:42
Guys, DRC isn't connected to anything electronic on our RS. Any competent mechanic should be able to install acouple hydrualically filled shocks and valves, right? It shouldn't be much difference between installing new shocks/CV's and bleeding the brake system. I think the two main issues is not following instructions and improvising instead of contacting AoA for help. JMHO

RS6-4dr911
August 28th, 2009, 23:59
And they should know to set the ride correctly, right? And they should know to test drive at least around the block to see if their fix is going to hold up, right? And the shocks shouldn't leak, right?

I'll take experience (successful) over theory any and every day of the week.

And actually, my experience proves you technically incorrect. My dealer forgot to connect a suspension linkage that tells the bi-xenon lights how to level themselves. Got a CEL on the way home, had to drive another 1 hr round trip to get that fixed (as well as to have them reset the MAF's that also threw a code on unrelated work).

hahnmgh63
August 29th, 2009, 01:23
As posted earlier I picked my car up yesterday from fix #2 (#1 installe, #2 bringing the ride height back down) and I drove a little aggressively and not only was there knocking in the rear but occaisonally the rear end seemed to jump or slip somewhere in the suspension while cornering? I may be installing the KW's sooner than planned as this is unacceptable. It definitely handled better before the new shocks, too late, if I could have done it over again I would have left it alone until the KW install. Oh well, thanks for nothing Audi. I just can't afford the time as some have done to keep taking my car to the dealer when I know in the long run it is a loosing battle.

snoopra
August 29th, 2009, 01:56
And actually, my experience proves you technically incorrect. My dealer forgot to connect a suspension linkage ..................
Like I said, the ELSA clearly states "reassemble ALL wiring connections...." Your dealer didn't follow instructions:)

vangelis
August 29th, 2009, 21:36
Guys, I have an urgent question please, as some of you aware, I had an accident with my car few weeks ago, breifly the front 2 shocks are leaking becuase of accident i think and insurance going to replace them with brand new ones, my questions is,, Is it possible for any mechanic to install these shocks or it has to be done with special tools in agency only? is the central valves need to be replaced or only failed shocks?

Thanks a lot for your feedback on this.

DHall1
August 29th, 2009, 23:25
If the mechanic does not have the newest special tool. Then you must replace everything and follow very specific instructions or the whole thing will be junk.

In a word. Dont let them change just 2 struts.

4 Struts and 2 central valve along with the proper methods to bleed lines must be performed.

Talk the insurance co into buying KWs. It will be cheaper.

Guys, I have an urgent question please, as some of you aware, I had an accident with my car few weeks ago, breifly the front 2 shocks are leaking becuase of accident i think and insurance going to replace them with brand new ones, my questions is,, Is it possible for any mechanic to install these shocks or it has to be done with special tools in agency only? is the central valves need to be replaced or only failed shocks?

Thanks a lot for your feedback on this.

hahnmgh63
August 30th, 2009, 02:51
I discovered why on the second attempt for the "NEW GREAT AUDI DRC FIX" that the suspension felt terrible in the rear on a somewhat aggressive drive home. The mechanic didn't hook up the lower end of the drop link on the left side of the rear swaybar. Don't they follow a checklist and double check their own work? I work back and forth from one side to another and when I'm done I check everything, one item at a time.
Well so much for the DRC, I was pissed so I started pulling it all out and so far have the rear KW's installed and I have removed all of the rear DRC including the hydraulic line all the way to the front wheel wells. It wasn't too bad, just time consuming. For now I set my rear ride height at 13" from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender flare and it looks pretty good. The KW's will allow a lot lower but I don't think I'll go any lower. I'll post pics in the next couple of days after I get the front done. I'll probably start on the front tomorrow as I imagine it will be a little more work than the rear, especially if I start changing control arms. We'll see.

mmaturo
August 30th, 2009, 06:42
My two cents 6 hours after your post is no...no one else can do it but an Audi service group and the tool is unique to the new fix. My comment is that since you are not in the US...because what happening for me and the rest of us was that all my previous fixes required all four shocks and the central valves as said above. Today however just the new shocks and the new tool is needed to get it to work. the difference being that they can now pressurize it without changing the central valves.

You should call mother Audi knowing you need the new shocks (all four siting the US recall) and then have that aspect of the repair done by them with the correct tool. My repair worked...some others here are not as you know by reading here. You know your car so seat of the pants and appearance you know if it is right...., i hope the rest of the damage is finished right but so should the DRC.

mmaturo
August 30th, 2009, 06:51
I discovered why on the second attempt for the "NEW GREAT AUDI DRC FIX" that the suspension felt terrible in the rear on a somewhat aggressive drive home. The mechanic didn't hook up the lower end of the drop link on the left side of the rear swaybar. Don't they follow a checklist and double check their own work? I work back and forth from one side to another and when I'm done I check everything, one item at a time.
Well so much for the DRC, I was pissed so I started pulling it all out and so far have the rear KW's installed and I have removed all of the rear DRC including the hydraulic line all the way to the front wheel wells. It wasn't too bad, just time consuming. For now I set my rear ride height at 13" from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender flare and it looks pretty good. The KW's will allow a lot lower but I don't think I'll go any lower. I'll post pics in the next couple of days after I get the front done. I'll probably start on the front tomorrow as I imagine it will be a little more work than the rear, especially if I start changing control arms. We'll see.

I wish i was closer to you to see the white (literally THE moby dick great white whale) RS6. Good luck with the rest of the install...looking forward to pics...and yes no lower. I am lucky for once this was the only fix that they got right on mine (till it fails...matter of time...good thing this car is awesome).

Still amazed by the RS4 just posted here and Quattroworld that sent the central valve cylinder flying. wtf.

Aronis
August 30th, 2009, 14:07
With all the problems with the "Fix" I'll go back to my statement from two or three YEARS ago.

Audi should have simply offered to put what ever shock was in the S6 (same model body style, they called the 2.7 T "S" and of course the real S6 was only as an Avant). That shock would have been 1. Audi OEM and 2. Simple - Tried and True. They would have saved a fortune in grief and would have satisfied 99% of us.

But nooooo they had to stick with a very poorly designed system, which is far to finicky to fix! The rest of the world has gone Electronic Variable Viscosity developed by GM in the Caddy and Vet, but no, Audi has to stick with a fluid-mechanical system in the RS6, then RS4 and now New RS6, and guess what? It will fail in the new RS6 also.

Mike

hahnmgh63
August 30th, 2009, 16:14
mmaturo, your right about the central valves, while I was removing them I was thinking about that video the whole time, like working with a time bomb just trying to be careful not the cut the blue wire. The back is completely done and torqued down and looks good, slightly lower than the DRC front which I barely started removing. I also plan on weighting all components to see what the difference is between the DRC and the KW's. The KW's w/springs came in at 51.5# and I'll find out by tonight what the DRC weights as a total, including all off the hydraulic lines as I am removing 100% and not just capping off the lines.

snoopra
August 30th, 2009, 16:58
Also, let us know what settings you used for compression/rebound.

DHall1
August 30th, 2009, 18:55
Thats what happens when some dealer techs rush to make 80/hrs flag time per week. Add to that a comeback they make 0 hrs on and you end up with crap.

Its a poor reflection on how dealers pay staff.

Sorry about your trouble. Its sad. Good luck with the KW. Did you see the thread from V8weight? He laid out a good fact thread on KW setups with pics.

DHall1
August 30th, 2009, 18:59
Mike,

Personally I like the DRC and if it fails 20 times in the next 6yrs I will still be covered with the Fidelity plan. That said, we have an excellent dealer in N Scottsdale with a proven record of fixing DRC right the first time. That makes a big difference.

The DRC is fantastic when it working and you have a local dealer that knows WTF is going on.

With all the problems with the "Fix" I'll go back to my statement from two or three YEARS ago.

Audi should have simply offered to put what ever shock was in the S6 (same model body style, they called the 2.7 T "S" and of course the real S6 was only as an Avant). That shock would have been 1. Audi OEM and 2. Simple - Tried and True. They would have saved a fortune in grief and would have satisfied 99% of us.

But nooooo they had to stick with a very poorly designed system, which is far to finicky to fix! The rest of the world has gone Electronic Variable Viscosity developed by GM in the Caddy and Vet, but no, Audi has to stick with a fluid-mechanical system in the RS6, then RS4 and now New RS6, and guess what? It will fail in the new RS6 also.

Mike

Yancy
September 28th, 2009, 15:10
Ok so it is time to do my DRC Update.

The big question is Where to have the work done.
I have one of 2 RS6s in the Tulsa area.
I spoke to Audi Corp, they did not recommend my local Audi dealership since they are not R certified. My closest R dealership is Oklahoma City.
So, when I called Oklahoma City Audi to schedule:
"RS6? I don't think we've seen any of those, maybe one. No, we have not done any of the suspension upgrades".
When I asked to speak to the R/RS tech (to ask if they had the latest DRC tool)... "We don't let customers talk to the techs".
Of course I promptly ended the call.

My next options would be Dallas or Kansas City.

Has anyone had their DRC repair done in either Dallas or KC ?
Good results?

Thanks in advance,

Yancy Galutia

stubro
September 28th, 2009, 16:44
So I had my in last week to have the system replaced at 39K miles. It took a day and a half to replace the system and as others have said they replcaed the shocks but not the central valves. I had to take it back today because something sounds wrong in the back. There is a knocking sounds and a squeek that sounds like fuel sloshing around. We will see what it is when I get it back.

DHall1
September 29th, 2009, 04:41
The DRC repair was botched.

You should be proactive and keep in contact with the service staff.

Noise or clunk coming from the rear indicates lack of pressure in the closed system.

You could have air or the staff failed to use the the new special tool.

I would recommend calling AoA to report the failure of the DRC repair. The staff at AoA are well aware of dealers getting things all screwed up.

IMHO just waiting for the dealer to somehow "fix" this screw up will prove worthless.

So I had my in last week to have the system replaced at 39K miles. It took a day and a half to replace the system and as others have said they replcaed the shocks but not the central valves. I had to take it back today because something sounds wrong in the back. There is a knocking sounds and a squeek that sounds like fuel sloshing around. We will see what it is when I get it back.

MaxRS6
December 9th, 2009, 23:07
Bump- LOL

coco
May 20th, 2010, 02:20
I don't know if I'm ini the right place. I'm RS6 owner living in Japan. Last October, one of Audi dealers in Japan did DRC fix (four shocks and 2 central valves). At install, the line pressure were 15.6bar on the left front to right rear, and 15.3bar on the right front to the left rear.
Since then, I fetl somewhat rough ride while I drove slow pace, and bouncy ride during high speed high-way drive and I took my car to the dealer that installed DRC. They checked the line pressure and reported me that the pressure were 13 bar on both sides and they said DRC is working correctly since the value is within the range.
My question is how closed system like DRC shows such decrease in presseure in such short time?
It is possible to show decreased pressure without leaking oil?
Please someone let me know.

V8weight
May 20th, 2010, 04:02
Hmm, if there was air in the system at the time of pressurization, as the fluid displaced the air over time, there could be a drop in pressure. This would be the result of an incorrect filling procedure.

coco
May 20th, 2010, 05:08
Hmm, if there was air in the system at the time of pressurization, as the fluid displaced the air over time, there could be a drop in pressure. This would be the result of an incorrect filling procedure.

Thanks, V8weight, it could be so.
My worry is that since the dealer did not disclose if they used new fixed suspensions for my car, I'm not sure if my car has new DRC system. Also, they simply measured pressure to check the DRC system. I don't think the dealer did thorough inspection for any leakage.
Now I have to suspect that there may be incorrect filling procedure when the dealer installed the DRC last year, right?
Does anybody know the way to differentiate incorrect installation procedure and system leak?
I don't think Audi dealers in Japan do not know proper way of dealing with the problem since we have so few RS6 in Japan and no one seems to complain about DRC failure other than me.:w:Owners simply sell their car as trade in for another car. Believe or not, not many drivers accumulate odo more than 50k---not mile, km!!---, here in Japan.Well, that means, you can still find RS6s less than 20k miles here in Japan!!
I'm kind of envy you guys living in the US where at least AofNA decided to take action regarding DRC.
They just ignore the problem here in Japan.

ben916
July 30th, 2010, 04:26
I am having a difficult time with this BUT.... I think my recalled DRC just $hit the bed... clunks all round the front left...

V8weight
July 30th, 2010, 04:33
I am having a difficult time with this BUT.... I think my recalled DRC just $hit the bed... clunks all round the front left...
Hmm, first things first. Any signs of leakage on the shocks? I know looking at the service records, my car had all of the upper control arms replaced around 30k miles. Those things will clunk up a storm if the rubber bushing has pushed out.

MaxRS6
July 30th, 2010, 16:05

Ouch- Hopefully it will be something relatively minor. However; if it is the DRC- you know my opinion- pull it- pound it into pellets- immerse in concrete- ship to Audi COD- replace with aftermarket. My less than .03 worth

ben916
July 30th, 2010, 17:12
Hmm, first things first. Any signs of leakage on the shocks? I know looking at the service records, my car had all of the upper control arms replaced around 30k miles. Those things will clunk up a storm if the rubber bushing has pushed out.

I will have to get up all in there and look...

I "thought" I heard the right rear rebound in the parking lot at work and that parking lot/structure is buttery smooth. The left turn was around 15-20 mph. This might be that sound hyper paranoia that some of us have... :) It is contagious.

Last night (83 degrees), lots of clunking but only left front.
Also, this morning(65 degrees), intermittent left front clunks but not hard like last night.

Max, I have already started to save my lunch money for the KW V3 as I am irritated with ALREADY having to deal with this...
If it is an upper control arm - that might be a temporary sigh of relief but the lunch money fund continues...

topcat_92
July 30th, 2010, 17:26
Sounds like the control arms. I just replaced mine. My clunking would seem to only come on low speed turns. Let us know what you find and good luck.

ben916
July 30th, 2010, 22:03
Sounds like the control arms. I just replaced mine. My clunking would seem to only come on low speed turns. Let us know what you find and good luck.

Man, I hope that is all it is...

Gustaf
August 5th, 2010, 17:13
Check the front sway bar as well. I had clunking in the front end that ended up being loose connections at the sway bar bushing ends.

ben916
August 5th, 2010, 17:34
the noise mysteriously disappeared.... :) or :(

MaxRS6
August 5th, 2010, 17:43
Good news for the moment and welcome aboard...;0

<EMBED height=385 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=480 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/JRbPWcLode0&hl=en_US&fs=1 allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED> (file://<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JRbPWcLode0&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JRbPWcLode0&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>)

DHall1
August 6th, 2010, 04:41
NOOOOOOOOOO

Save the DRC at all costs! Make Audi put 10 sets of struts on the car.

hehe

Ouch- Hopefully it will be something relatively minor. However; if it is the DRC- you know my opinion- pull it- pound it into pellets- immerse in concrete- ship to Audi COD- replace with aftermarket. My less than .03 worth

coco
November 23rd, 2010, 06:09
AUDI Japan dealer did worked on my DRC, first replaced four suspensions and two central valves. Since then, they did refill oil three times in vain.
Since DRC is not recalled in Japan, I do not know how they deal with the problem in the future.
Well, my question is if anybody know if you can put S6 stock suspension to RS6?
If you do. How's it working?

Thank you,

JRS-RS6
November 23rd, 2010, 15:18
Go with KW3s and be done with it.

ben916
June 3rd, 2011, 05:21
And another Necro-bump...

Took her to Pure MS to confirm DRC is weeping (Front Right) - confirmed.
Mike took her out and heard all sorts of noises that shouldn't be there.
Checked my aftermarket warranty - control arms are covered as is variable damping system.

Might be calling AoA to vent... and to get the shipping address to ask for a recall refund...

kismetcapitan
August 23rd, 2011, 09:00
My suspension is currently working just fine. However, whoever did the DRC recall did it with the rear now higher than the front. I'd like to get it sorted, but don't want to risk damaging the DRC; as coilovers will not be permitted in the budget from the Better Half for quite some time as the car is recently purchased, everything is currently working fine, and I'm cajoling a set of Miiltek catbacks out of her at the moment...

If I swing by the Audi dealership, will they know how to set the DRC properly and get the rear suspension to settle down? Do all Audi dealers have this procedure, or is it hit and miss?

JSRS6
August 23rd, 2011, 12:26
Slightly loosen all NON-adjustable rear control arm bolts, drive around for a minute or two, then tighten previously loosened bolts while sitting. Helps to have a couple of the drive on ramps.

DHall1
August 23rd, 2011, 15:32
I got my Milltek approval last month. ;-)

Hit and miss...dont take it to the dealer yet.

As Josh has noted....loosen all non adjustable control arm bolts and bounce the car. Then torque those bolts with weight on the suspension. This can be done at any good alignment shop in 30 minutes.

My recalled DRC has been perfect for over 2 yrs.

My suspension is currently working just fine. However, whoever did the DRC recall did it with the rear now higher than the front. I'd like to get it sorted, but don't want to risk damaging the DRC; as coilovers will not be permitted in the budget from the Better Half for quite some time as the car is recently purchased, everything is currently working fine, and I'm cajoling a set of Miiltek catbacks out of her at the moment...

If I swing by the Audi dealership, will they know how to set the DRC properly and get the rear suspension to settle down? Do all Audi dealers have this procedure, or is it hit and miss?

ben916
August 23rd, 2011, 17:51

How many miles in those 2 years????

4everRS
August 24th, 2011, 01:29
Just mark the adjustable bolts with a marking pen and make sure they go back to the correct spot.

Hy Octane
August 31st, 2011, 05:14
I got my Milltek approval last month. ;-)

Hit and miss...dont take it to the dealer yet.

As Josh has noted....loosen all non adjustable control arm bolts and bounce the car. Then torque those bolts with weight on the suspension. This can be done at any good alignment shop in 30 minutes.

I am doing this friday.. Do you tighten them back with extra weight on the suspension or just the weight of the car? Do you need to do anything to the front end as well or just the rear? Thanx!

DHall1
August 31st, 2011, 05:44
I never had to touch mine. It was perfect from day 1 after the recall. It would make sense to do all 4 corners if you suspect the front is too high.

All of 8k miles Ben.

I am doing this friday.. Do you tighten them back with extra weight on the suspension or just the weight of the car? Do you need to do anything to the front end as well or just the rear? Thanx!

mdegracia
September 1st, 2011, 18:35
So I checked my car against the Audi recall campaign and it only showed the rollover nipple as an issue.

I had seen a couple posts on the DRC being covered under a certain campaign (exact number escapes me at the moment). So I contacted audi and asked for further information. They stated that they were able to identify all faulty DRC units based strictly on VINs. Seems a bit odd since these cars were all made for a year and such low numbers for US export that all cars would have had the same DRC lot.

Has anyone had this response and still able to get the repair covered by Audi?

hahnmgh63
September 1st, 2011, 18:52
Your dealer is full of SH*$. All RS6's in N. America were recalled regardless of VIN.

mdegracia
September 1st, 2011, 18:55
Yeah, I had emailed the corp contact about the DRC and they called me. Thinking i'll take it to the local dealer and see what they say...I can see this isn't going to be an easy one.

Hy Octane
September 2nd, 2011, 19:59
OK. Rear end has been adjusted per this thread and I am happy to report that it now sits a full inch lower and rides much better. More stable and generally tighter. Thanks Guys!

MaxRS6
September 2nd, 2011, 20:42
^Congrats on th win!

kismetcapitan
September 5th, 2011, 20:10
sweetness! I'm getting this done ASAP! Did you have a dealer do it, or any competent independent mechanic should be able to do this?

4everRS
September 6th, 2011, 06:45
I bet nearly all re-DRC'ed RS6's would be fixed with this simple solution. Mine was the same. Now i'm 1/8" difference front to rear.

kismetcapitan
September 26th, 2011, 08:32
mine has also been done, and the rear is clearly lower than before - looks stock now!

kismetcapitan
September 30th, 2011, 10:47
just spent some time browsing the RS246 forum - they seem to be saying that the DRC circuits need to be charged to 14-16 bars, NOT 20 bars. That would explain a lot regarding the high rear suspensions people have been getting.

After the work done loosening the suspension links, it's lower...but definitely uneven. The only thing that makes sense to me as a possible reason is that if the circuit connecting the left front and right rear was at a lower pressure than the other circuit.

There has got to be a simple procedure for getting this right. Like, repressurizing the circuits while the car is standing on an alignment rack, loosening the suspension links, weighting them, and tightening everything up again??

I want to get this done asap as I've got H&R lowering springs on the way and I want the DRC balanced and correct before I swap the springs.

And...any idea as to getting either the dealer or AoA to cover this DRC calibration? An hour or two of inflated dealer labor charges isn't my concern - I just feel that Audi has a responsibility to getting these replaced DRC systems correct, which they haven't for a lot of people. I already paid to get the rear back down an inch - do I now have to pay to get the car to not be lopsided???

kismetcapitan
September 30th, 2011, 12:31
just read the self-study guide - it says the central cylinders are at 16 bars - 20 bars is still far too much.

Just to clarify - it appears from diagrams that there are two of these cylinders, and the circuits are NOT connected. Is this true, or is there one central cylinder, or are the circuits somehow connected?

marklar182
September 30th, 2011, 13:54
The self study guide is old and not correct.

The service action for the DRC states a fill of 22 bar.

JSRS6
September 30th, 2011, 17:13
The two circuits are independent.

ben916
September 30th, 2011, 17:17
just read the self-study guide - it says the central cylinders are at 16 bars - 20 bars is still far too much.

Just to clarify - it appears from diagrams that there are two of these cylinders, and the circuits are NOT connected. Is this true, or is there one central cylinder, or are the circuits somehow connected?

two cylinder called the central valves...

kismetcapitan
September 30th, 2011, 17:53
is it an easy process for a dealer to take their DRC tool and verify the pressures in each central valve? Or does that require emptying and refilling...which leaves us at square one again?

Hy Octane
September 30th, 2011, 18:14
The self study guide is old and not correct.

The service action for the DRC states a fill of 22 bar.

This is not correct.. You are referring to the procedure which asks the techs to fill to 22 bar THEN bleed it down to 16 bar which qisha long ago confirmed is the proper operating pressure..

The sitting pressure of each side of the system can be checked by the techs with only a small droplet of fluid being lost if any.

kismetcapitan
September 30th, 2011, 18:33
excellent. I'm going to get the car on an alignment rack and have them check the pressures.

marklar182
October 12th, 2011, 14:41
FYI- The USA DRC Recall Campaign Ends 10/28/2011

mdegracia
October 17th, 2011, 14:20
Brought the car in this morning for the gas tank rollover valve recall. Also had them look into the DRC campaign status.

Apparently, the car received the campaign back in 2009. Ok, so why is the rear end still clunking? Has anybody had the campaign performed and then had followup issues? Just curious.

I asked him to re-inspect the DRC system for leaks. Hopefully he does it....I hate having to be dependent on dealers for this kind of shit, sually do my own work or work directly with my indy.

ben916
February 22nd, 2012, 06:29
well, I did the same yesterday...

Had the RS tech @ Hoehn drain the accumulators and repressurize the DRC system:
Yeah! = no more squeaks, thunks
Booo! = looks like it rides about ANOTHER inch higher and they set the tire pressure @ 40 so the Kooks howl a little and are too hard. I can stick my entire four fingers between the tire and the wheel well lip - Pathetic!!!! I bet there is sooo much pressure on the system that the struts are nearly fully extended...

Current lunch money tally = $1455... almost there (Red 5)....

4everRS
February 22nd, 2012, 12:21
http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/dc6567b7.jpg

Ben, did they say they were gonna tighten rear suspension while loaded? Or up in the air (wrong)

ben916
February 22nd, 2012, 16:28
http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/dc6567b7.jpg

Ben, did they say they were gonna tighten rear suspension while loaded? Or up in the air (wrong)

They refused to touch it...

kismetcapitan
February 22nd, 2012, 19:57
my car was originally sold by Hoehn Audi and the DRC recall was also done there. And yep, when I got my car, the rear end was sky high.

(buying a car with 80K on the odometer feels safer when the receipts for every service and oil change with the car is a giant stack....)

btw, I set my tires to 42psi and I've got Hankooks too. Anything less and the car's handling doesn't feel right.

wm_sorg
June 30th, 2016, 00:43
Hi All,

Unfortunately, I have the rear clunk and the DRC service expired in 2011. What are my options other than coilovers?

kismetcapitan
June 30th, 2016, 02:28
do a search for Koni shocks. DRC just isn't worth the headache, cost, and finding a dealer who actually knows how to set the damned system up - RS6s are cars they rarely, if ever, see.

I ended up doing H&R springs too, plus control arms. But just doing the shocks is affordable, simple, and gets you back on the road.

If you want more anti-roll, you need stiffer springs and Hotchkis anti-roll bars, but kiss ride comfort goodbye.

lswing
June 30th, 2016, 02:35
Kismet, good to see you around still...

And to the question...Google "site:rs6.com yourTopicHere"...Koni yellows are a very good easy strut option. Others find home ways to keep the DRC charged.

B727
June 30th, 2016, 20:11
I recharged my DRC system at home easily enough and for not a lot of $$, if you're game. New/old stock or good used dampers aren't expensive. Personally I would not go stiffer than the DRC, but that's me...

wm_sorg
July 1st, 2016, 15:41
Do you have a source for parts? It was my understanding that a special tool is needed to recharge the system.

I recharged my DRC system at home easily enough and for not a lot of $$, if you're game. New/old stock or good used dampers aren't expensive. Personally I would not go stiffer than the DRC, but that's me...

Dmb408
July 1st, 2016, 16:25
I agree with this, my system is locked and loaded right now and I still have 40 aspect tires and it is pretty hard.

kismetcapitan
July 2nd, 2016, 09:20
Kismet, good to see you around still...

And to the question...Google "site:rs6.com yourTopicHere"...Koni yellows are a very good easy strut option. Others find home ways to keep the DRC charged.

I don't really drive much; my RS6 gets less than 1000 miles on it a year. I found myself struggling to remember everything I've done with my car, when I was in the honeymoon phase and getting the car the way I wanted it to be.

However, I do use Audi products daily; they just have two less wheels and are made in Italy :P

B727
July 3rd, 2016, 05:40
Do you have a source for parts? It was my understanding that a special tool is needed to recharge the system.

The only Audi-specific part is a quick-connect fitting, 4B3616891. One-half attaches to the on-car hose fitting and the other half attaches to the fitting on the damper (fragile part, be sure and backstop it when loosening), with a T or manifold in between. Otherwise, I used a hydraulic hand pump (porta-power or similar), a cheap electric vacuum pump, and a refrigeration recharge manifold to allow switching between vacuum and pressure without allowing air back into the system. There are a couple of pics and some other points in this thread: http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/32689-Suspension-Rattle-Left-Front

I used a Snapon adapter kit for the manifold, but after using it, it wasn't really necessary. An inexpensive 'T' would have worked just as well.