PDA

View Full Version : RNS-E Experts.. help please

Fonzie Audi
December 19th, 2008, 20:01
I've completed my installation of the RNS-E unit (originally for A4). Audio, CD, SD all working great.

Navigation reads DVD, recognizes my postion, ect. However it freezes up for a minute or more at a time and never refreshes my location while driving.

** I tapped a wire into the gala wire behind the instrument cluster (whit, blue stripe).. ran it down to the adapter and tapped the other end into the "v-signal" pin.

I heard it takes a couple miles for the GPS to learn how to refresh quickly.. but i drove it about 6 miles without it really catching up.

ideas please..?

hahnmgh63
December 19th, 2008, 21:32
It is not the Gala wire giving you the problem. You can leave it unhook and the unit will not do what you are describing. With the Gala unhooked their is an occaisonal slight lag depending on speed, it only makes a slight difference so you need to look elswere? Maybe your antenna? I thought the A4 unit had a different faceplate than the A6, RS6, S6, Allroad units?

vangelis
December 19th, 2008, 21:59
It is not the Gala wire giving you the problem. You can leave it unhook and the unit will not do what you are describing. With the Gala unhooked their is an occaisonal slight lag depending on speed, it only makes a slight difference so you need to look elswere? Maybe your antenna? I thought the A4 unit had a different faceplate than the A6, RS6, S6, Allroad units?

Yes, up to my knowledge the A4 units does not fit RS6 ,, only A6 units (EU version 4B0 035 192 P) fit our RS6s.

Fonzie Audi
December 19th, 2008, 22:29
yes, the A4 unit is not supposed to fit into the RS6.. however after shaving off 1/8th inch from the top of the unit - it fits perfectly. Can't even tell the difference.

I have between 4-6 satellites connected each time i drive. that makes me believe it is not the antenna..

just to make sure.. where does the speed/gala wire plug into on the RNS-E adapter? does it splice into the v-signal (pin 3) or just plug directly into pin 1?

hahnmgh63
December 20th, 2008, 02:49
Connector 3 Pin #1

Fonzie Audi
December 20th, 2008, 03:10
connector 3, pin #1 worked perfectly.

thank you hahnmgh63

Skaala
December 22nd, 2008, 09:38
have you coded the RNS-E unit to fit with your wheel size and diameter? Is it still coded to A4? You may need to code it to A6 to work properly. The navi can take up to 50 miles before it is adjusted 100%.

Fonzie Audi
December 22nd, 2008, 14:37
i have not yet re-coded the unit for the RS6/A6.

Not only do i now know how.. but its working so perfectly now that i'm almost afriad to mess around with it :)

Everything is working great. The screen refreshes my position every full second. Just waiting on the radio antenna adapter from NavParts.com to come in.