PDA

View Full Version : ride

alexo
December 18th, 2008, 14:29
FInally received my rs6 avant last november & had it cleaned & checked. Drove it a couple of times on highway & city streets. The power is incredible but the ride bumpy. I have a better ride with my s60r. Does this have anything to do with the DRC? Will a change to kw's help?

DHall1
December 18th, 2008, 16:12
Hi,

Just a couple of quick bits.

My crystal ball is broken. What year and some specs on your car please.

The "search" button is your friend. There are 3000 threads on DRC and the symptoms associated with failure.

FInally received my rs6 avant last november & had it cleaned & checked. Drove it a couple of times on highway & city streets. The power is incredible but the ride bumpy. I have a better ride with my s60r. Does this have anything to do with the DRC? Will a change to kw's help?

Hy Octane
December 18th, 2008, 18:02
The ride should be extremely hard. The car should not lean during turns or dive under braking-squat under acceleration. This shows the DRC to be working. If you get alot of bounce over bumps and body roll around turns, the DRC is out of order.

Erik
December 18th, 2008, 18:31
Please improve on topic and I'm sure you'll get better replies... ;)

DuckWingDuck
December 18th, 2008, 18:56
ya, I can only reiterate Hy Octane's points above, I was getting extreme bouncing in my ride, especially at speed though my roll wasn't too horrible. Ultimately though, that led to my calamities!

alexo
December 19th, 2008, 01:58
Its a 2003 avant. got it from switzerland at 25k km. Spanking neat & well maintained.

Yes the ride gets bumpier when speed is faster, although our roads here are not the best but didnt experience that with my 2005 s60r. What do you mean by rolling?

Checked for leaks on the shocks as I surmise they are signs of drc prob but dont see any.

WOuld changing the drc fix the bumpy ride? How smooth can the ride be afterwards? Any comparison to the s60r?

DuckWingDuck
December 19th, 2008, 04:42
I think for me, the bouncing was a bigger indicator than anything else. The ride isn't going to be smoother but stiffer.

DHall1
December 19th, 2008, 04:50
That Volvo has a softer ride even if the DRC is working fine.

That said, if your shocks are not leaking..are you sure? Then it may be time to take it into the dealer for a checkup.

If you go the route of KV coilovers...be ready for a drop in ride height and stiffer ride.

Its a 2003 avant. got it from switzerland at 25k km. Spanking neat & well maintained.

Yes the ride gets bumpier when speed is faster, although our roads here are not the best but didnt experience that with my 2005 s60r. What do you mean by rolling?

Checked for leaks on the shocks as I surmise they are signs of drc prob but dont see any.

WOuld changing the drc fix the bumpy ride? How smooth can the ride be afterwards? Any comparison to the s60r?

DuckWingDuck
December 19th, 2008, 05:42
I think that you can tune the KW to be the same or at most a tiny bit stiffer ride than stock DRC. As for height, I think you _can_ maintain stock height even with KW as well, I think just most everybody lowers it a bit.

cornishmoocher
December 19th, 2008, 06:22
You cannot compare the S60 to the RS6 ride. The RS6 will always be much much harder. It needs to be 450hp v 250ish? The RS6 is a super car in a wagon form where the S60 is just a sporty wagon.

Even with fully working DRC the ride is hard and it will bump and bang over lumps and pot holes.

If you want smooth and soft, get a different car mate. Even if you put Coilovers on it, it will not be any softer.

TBH Its the last thing you want in the RS6, a squishy ride will put you in a wall or ditch.

DHall1
December 19th, 2008, 06:27
Uhhhh,

Pretty much what I said 100%. Just alittle more flair or dramatics.

Cheers. Good fun:addict:

You cannot compare the S60 to the RS6 ride. The RS6 will always be much much harder. It needs to be 450hp v 250ish? The RS6 is a super car in a wagon form where the S60 is just a sporty wagon.

Even with fully working DRC the ride is hard and it will bump and bang over lumps and pot holes.

If you want smooth and soft, get a different car mate. Even if you put Coilovers on it, it will not be any softer.

TBH Its the last thing you want in the RS6, a squishy ride will put you in a wall or ditch.

DHall1
December 19th, 2008, 06:31
I may be wrong but....I seem to remember a range of height that the coilovers could be set to. 20mm-120mm of drop was the range. This tells me that you will drop a minimum of 20mm if you set the KVs to the highest setting. ?? I could be wrong on this. Memory may be fuzzy.

As for stiffness...are we talking initial bump stiffness?

I think that you can tune the KW to be the same or at most a tiny bit stiffer ride than stock DRC. As for height, I think you _can_ maintain stock height even with KW as well, I think just most everybody lowers it a bit.

cornishmoocher
December 19th, 2008, 06:59
@ Dave. It is near enuff exactly what you said mate- sorry! :)

Bigglezworth
December 19th, 2008, 09:06

Well I just sold my '06 S60R sedan after purchasing the RS6 sedan and for me personally the RS - although stiff for a larger sedan - is is a smoother ride than the Volvo - not the other way around. I never ran the Volvo in 'advanced' mode and only in 'sport' mode (this included while tracking it). The Volvo just didn't feel like it had any suspension left in it with the advanced mode whereas the Audi while stiff is still comfortable. With the Volvo my teeth would chatter in advanced mode and the car would side hope while cornering if you weren't careful irrespective of the toe-in specs you had for wheel alignment. The Audi neither occurs.

Irrespective of what others might have as feedback on this matter checking all four corners and confirm whether any of the struts are leaking like you've done is the only real way of confirming things are in order. Opinions will vary so this IMO is the only way to determine if it's functioning or not.

Hope that helps.
Tim

http://members.shaw.ca/bigglezworth/Volvo/2006s6~1.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/bigglezworth/Volvo/s60r%26r~1.jpg

DHall1
December 19th, 2008, 16:40
I actually like your response in addition to mine. Its nice to get both perspectives and the word out there as to what these cars really are and are not.

These cars are supercars.
These cars are not Volvos.

@ Dave. It is near enuff exactly what you said mate- sorry! :)

DHall1
December 19th, 2008, 16:44
Tim,

I love those pictures! Thanks for the feedback from someone who has driven both.

There is however one more way to test the DRC. Take it in and I think the dealer can test the DRC system pressure. That will be the final tale.

Well I just sold my '06 S60R sedan after purchasing the RS6 sedan and for me personally the RS - although stiff for a larger sedan - is is a smoother ride than the Volvo - not the other way around. I never ran the Volvo in 'advanced' mode and only in 'sport' mode (this included while tracking it). The Volvo just didn't feel like it had any suspension left in it with the advanced mode whereas the Audi while stiff is still comfortable. With the Volvo my teeth would chatter in advanced mode and the car would side hope while cornering if you weren't careful irrespective of the toe-in specs you had for wheel alignment. The Audi neither occurs.

Irrespective of what others might have as feedback on this matter checking all four corners and confirm whether any of the struts are leaking like you've done is the only real way of confirming things are in order. Opinions will vary so this IMO is the only way to determine if it's functioning or not.

Hope that helps.
Tim

http://members.shaw.ca/bigglezworth/Volvo/2006s6~1.jpg

alexo
December 22nd, 2008, 13:44
Tried the s60r today & I feel that the rs6 had more bounce than the s60r. Never used the advanced mode on the volvo as it makes me dizzy. LAways used the sport mode.

Will take the audi to the shop & have a look at the drc. Would the HR coilover have an advantage in performance than the KW? Can it be adjusted to the same height as the stock DRC?

Bigglezworth
December 22nd, 2008, 14:18
Can it be adjusted to the same height as the stock DRC?All coil over suspensions should permit adjusment to control ride height for stock or lowered end results.

Majestic
December 23rd, 2008, 09:22
When I just got my RS6 in november I also thought that the ride was very stiff and felt every bump in the road. I went to the audi dealership and they said that everything was in perfect working condition.

DuckWingDuck
December 23rd, 2008, 16:23
stiff ride is what you're looking for. Have them check how many bars of pressure there are in the system.

Aronis
December 24th, 2008, 03:48

Sorry, was too busy looking at the cars in the background...

More on the GNX please..pics....etc...

Mike