PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade on wheels and tires

Majestic
December 16th, 2008, 13:18
Hi everyone, I just got my 03 RS6 YAY.

Sad thing is that i live in New York and its starting to get cold and already have chances of snow on the ground.

When I got the car they came with 19" rims and sport tires I think by Perelli or however you spell them.

I was wondering for people that drive in the snow what tires and rims do you have. Also should I get 18" or 19" rims.

Thanks for all your replies.
Allen

DuckWingDuck
December 16th, 2008, 15:52
OEM wheels are 18", so it's really a personal choice as far as what size wheels you want to run, in fact there are a few of us who are running 20s. As far as tyres, I live in LA, so, no idea about winter tyres.

BLITZEN
December 16th, 2008, 18:56
You'll want Bridgestone Blizzaks on 18" wheels. Although the manual recommends 235's, I get the 255 size that the book recommends for summer use. They rock! I guarantee you'll love driving this car on snow-packed roads if you have that set-up!

Majestic
December 16th, 2008, 21:38
i am looking for an all weather tire so i dont have to change it that often

I was also wondering what are some good brand rims that i can get does anyone have any web sites? I was thinking of ordering some MTM rims because they are well known and shouldnt skimp on quality

but does it really matter where I get the rims from?

Or is everywhere the quality should be pretty much the same as oem

SapporoRS6
December 17th, 2008, 00:42
I am waiting my 04 RS6 here in Sapporo Japan, and we have much snow in winter so I also look for the winter tyre and wheel sets.

I heard from my dealer that 225/45R18, 245/40R18 with 8Jx18 (ED/offset 35-43mm) wheel will fit the RS6.

How about these wheels below?
1. Enkei: SC05
http://www.enkei.co.jp/jp/products/wheels/sc05/outline/index.html
2. Rays: Volk Racing RE30 or 57 Motor Sport
http://rayswheels.co.jp/
3. Borbet: Design LS black chrome polished
http://www.borbet.de/

and so on...Have a fun to choose the new feet of your RS6!

DHall1
December 17th, 2008, 03:31
If your just looking for winter wheels/tires. Then try those Audi knockoffs that look like the factory wheels. Blizzaks come in several models and have versions that perform well in the dry and very good in the snow. Dont under estimate the power you have under your right foot. Add some snow/slick roads and you fill in the blank.

http://www.hartmannwheels.com/1-425-895-0000/

I would not recommend "all season" tires. Ever

i am looking for an all weather tire so i dont have to change it that often

I was also wondering what are some good brand rims that i can get does anyone have any web sites? I was thinking of ordering some MTM rims because they are well known and shouldnt skimp on quality

but does it really matter where I get the rims from?

Or is everywhere the quality should be pretty much the same as oem

BLITZEN
December 17th, 2008, 20:21
I would not recommend "all season" tires. Ever

Oh boy Majestic, you obviously have a lot to learn.

1) I'm with DHall on his opinion of All-Season tires. If you're going to buy wheels like MTM's, putting all-season tires on them completely defeats their purpose.

2) Are all quality the same as OEM? Are you kidding?! Or do you have a deathwish? Have you ever been driving 160mph and wondered, HMmmm did my wheels come from a Chinese sweatshop? Do some research buddy!

Majestic
December 19th, 2008, 10:04
ok i will go with winter tires but what other web sites are good with quality 18 inch rims?

DuckWingDuck
December 19th, 2008, 16:24
check out tirerack.com, there are a number of other quality wheel manufacturers.

KfabR8
December 19th, 2008, 16:27
Blizzaks are amazing. I just put them on a couple weeks ago and I can't believe the wet traction and the control ability they have in snow.

The also slide/drift really well...:incar: (What can I say? I can't help myself.:wo:)

DHall1
December 19th, 2008, 16:53
Ahhh, we have another convert. You will never run anything else in the winter.

Even my wife knows when the Blizzaks need to go on the cars. Every fall in the Colorado mts....at the first sign of snow. I could count on the talk at the dinner table. "are you going to put my Blizzaks on tonght" Hahahah, she would not drive anything without those tires mounted.

Funny really

Blizzaks are amazing. I just put them on a couple weeks ago and I can't believe the wet traction and the control ability they have in snow.

The also slide/drift really well...:incar: (What can I say? I can't help myself.:wo:)

Lazlo
December 19th, 2008, 18:47
Wheee! First snowstorm here in the northeast. I am looking forward to using my LM25s on the RS6 in the snow tonight!

Lazlo
December 20th, 2008, 03:10
Postscript: Since my Coupe q, my daily drivers have been a Saab and BMW 3er. When the white stuff shows up, the summer meats get swapped for appropriate winter meats. The Saab was a beast in the snow and the BMW was adequate, due to the ride height (or lack thereof). Both were plenty capable in the wet and snowy weather and only showed deficiency when the snow was too deep or grade too extreme. Obviously, AWD helps a bit with grades and snow depth but what makes the most profound difference in grip, stability and safety in winter conditions is the proper tire.

All Season Tires are "No Season Tires" in my no so humble opinion. At best, they are a compromise for dry, wet, hot, cold, snow, ice and slush traction. At worst, they are a liability in winter conditions.

For those of us who live in the snow belt, it doesn't make any sense to handicap your vehicle's capability when the simple act of driving home in a snow storm is plenty stressful and long enough without adding to it because your tires suck.

DHall1
December 21st, 2008, 06:57
Ahhhh, LM25s and the :addict: . Add some snow and you have a formula for some real fun.

Wheee! First snowstorm here in the northeast. I am looking forward to using my LM25s on the RS6 in the snow tonight!