PDA

View Full Version : Shuddering ceramic brakes

KarlMarx
December 16th, 2008, 09:53
Hi,

Has anyone else with ceramic brakes noticed that for the first 5 mins of driving (when it's cold especially) that they're shuddering whenever they're used? They also feel about 30-40% as effective compared to what they are after it's settled.

It's not exactly reassuring!

Regards,
KM

mdk
December 16th, 2008, 11:22
I haven't noticed any shuddering at anytime! Nor being less effective.
But haven't being driving in less than 10 deg C.

They only difference I've noticed between my RS6 and a sister one of a friend of mine (ceramics as well) is that when brakes on his car get hot they make this squealing noise just before the car comes to a complete stop.

(mine has 2,500Km on the counter)

Trebor
December 16th, 2008, 14:27
Hi,

Has anyone else with ceramic brakes noticed that for the first 5 mins of driving (when it's cold especially) that they're shuddering whenever they're used? They also feel about 30-40% as effective compared to what they are after it's settled.

It's not exactly reassuring!

Regards,
KM

Not experianced anything like that so far (18,000 km)
Driven through the late summer & recently at temperatures between 5 - 15 deg C

vangelis
December 16th, 2008, 16:00
Not experianced anything like that so far (18,000 km)
Driven through the late summer & recently at temperatures between 5 - 15 deg C

Hi Trebor,, from you avatar photo I can see C5 RS6,, If its your car,, did u upgrade the brake to ceramic? I need to know how much it cost and which brand is recommended and not too much expensive! thanks

Trebor
December 16th, 2008, 16:23
Hi Trebor,, from you avatar photo I can see C5 RS6,, If its your car,, did u upgrade the brake to ceramic? I need to know how much it cost and which brand is recommended and not too much expensive! thanks

Pic is my old C5 need to update it but you know how time passes
Comments were bases on my new C6, so no idea on mods

Having said that, I believe there were several old threads regarding ceramic / break mods for the C5, try a search

Rgds
Trebor

vangelis
December 16th, 2008, 17:04
all what I found was about MOVIT ceramic kit,,which is EXTREMELY expensiveeeee ,, I'm looking for another solution with resonable price

KarlMarx
December 16th, 2008, 17:20
Has anybody else had shuddering brakes during cold weather? The dealership seemed pretty uninformed about it all with no strong advice either way.

jonas21
December 16th, 2008, 19:33
Has anybody else had shuddering brakes during cold weather? The dealership seemed pretty uninformed about it all with no strong advice either way.

i can second this. if you drive below/around 0 degree celsius the brakes take some time to get good grip. they also can be noisy for the first 10-12 brake attempts.
but as far as i know that is a common "feature" of ceramic brakes when driving in the cold.

StanYau
January 15th, 2009, 20:36
Slow to follow up, but due to the recent spate of cold weather here, I can also confirm this.

Driving a C6 RS6 (UK spec) with the Ceramics.

After starting up on a cold day, when braking gently there's a fairly noisy squeaking noise that comes from them as well as a loss of expected braking power (agree with the 30-40% effectiveness). You have to really jam on the brake pedal to bring the car to a shuddering stop, even when doing low speeds like 10-20 mph! After driving for a few minutes, braking performance returns to usual...

I note a slight loss of power when driving in heavy rain (with waterlogged roads) as well - if I brake using the usual travel, braking is probably only about 50% effective, although by keeping the brake pedal consistently pushed down, I can feel braking performance increase after a second or so. If I need to brake quickly (oncoming junction or roundabout), then I have to push the brake pedal in with far more pressure than usual.

Not sure what that's all about - I didn't pay £6K+ for inferior braking performance! Aren't ceramics supposed to be unaffected by the wet/cold?

p3u
January 16th, 2009, 02:29
- I didn't pay £6K+ for inferior braking performance! Aren't ceramics supposed to be unaffected by the wet/cold?

Ceramics are not prone to fade, but are affected by wet/cold.

mdk
January 16th, 2009, 04:20
I had the chance to drive around in minus temperatures (lowest was -6 C).
I only noticed that during the very first minutes of driving (max. 5 mins) brakes are lazy, requiring more 'depth' on the pedal. But anyway, during these first minutes of drive at these low temps I was reluctant to suddenly accelerate or decelerate.
As to braking during rain, I get no such feeling like Stan Yau described! To the contrary, brakes are more efficient than one would expect when braking in the rain.

ZRS6
January 16th, 2009, 09:07

I took delivery of my RS6 with ceramic braes on 5th Jan in The Netherlands. And we have had some cold weather here the first week of Jan. No shuddering or noisy breakes at all. work fine so far