PDA

View Full Version : Front Brake Pad Change over.....

Aronis
December 7th, 2008, 18:40
I was curious about this for a while, but no one has posted just how easy it is to change the front brake pads.

I just took two of them out on one side to inspect (1/2 warn) and it was a snap. Just drive out a pin, remove a retaining clip, compress the pistons a bit, and the pads come right out.

Other than removing some brake fluid from the master to avoid overflow and completely compressing the caliper to add full thickness new pads, I basically did the change in 15 minutes.

I suspect doing both sides for the fronts would be a 1 hour or less job. Nice simple design.

The rears require removing the caliper by removing two bolts instead of two pins.

What's the dealer labor charge for this? I had mine done twice as part of service and never actually worked out which was the charge for the brake change labor. Could not be more than one hour.

Mike

grizz
December 7th, 2008, 19:42
Mike , I charge 1 hour. But I've had a lot of front calipers that have had the pins seize in. You have to drill them out and get a new fitting kit .
The other major problem is the caliper corrodes under the stainless steel plates .This means the pads are very tight , some people just hammer them in .....This could just be a uk problem due to the salt in the winter.

DuckWingDuck
December 8th, 2008, 05:36
great post as I am right in the process of need brakes replaced! I've got all my pads (thanks Roger for the fronts). Any advice on rotors? Through the discounted sites, I've found cheap(er) OEM rotors but would be interested in others and have spoke to Jimmy re: their group buy replacement rotors however, what other alternatives are there? Also, is resurfacing not recommended for the RS6?