PDA

View Full Version : Selling RS6 / pricing question

dlm477
December 4th, 2008, 06:36
I just agreed to sell my 35k mile clean certified RS6 for $32k. It was on ebay and is still on autotrader. Does this seem too cheap? I have been reading posts with VERY high price expectations, which you would expect for a group of people that love RS6s.

I think $32k is probably fair although seems like a steal. My Audi dealer would not buy car given economy/financial crisis. They have a clean 34k mile RS6 as well listed for $34k on autotrader that they cannot move. My porsche dealer said wholesale was 23-24k, he could barely hit 25k on trade-in. Thoughts?

Also, is the belt timing replacement service necessary at 4 years/35k miles? These are not Ferraris so wanted to see how necessary this service really is.

DHall1
December 4th, 2008, 08:34
Is that the Avus car from Chicago?

Seems alittle low given you have extended warranty coverage. A blue/26k RS6 just went for 42k on ebay. It too had some coverage left on extended warranty. It was from CA and looked very nice.

I dont think you can gauge trade values right now. The dealers cant take them nor have the credit to float the money. Dealers cant get credit for new cars...let alone buy used cars. Dealers are going under and consumers cant get credit to buy any cars. Its a nasty cycle.

Yes, it needs the timing belt changed at 35k

I just agreed to sell my 35k mile clean certified RS6 for $32k. It was on ebay and is still on autotrader. Does this seem too cheap? I have been reading posts with VERY high price expectations, which you would expect for a group of people that love RS6s.

I think $32k is probably fair although seems like a steal. My Audi dealer would not buy car given economy/financial crisis. They have a clean 34k mile RS6 as well listed for $34k on autotrader that they cannot move. My porsche dealer said wholesale was 23-24k, he could barely hit 25k on trade-in. Thoughts?

Also, is the belt timing replacement service necessary at 4 years/35k miles? These are not Ferraris so wanted to see how necessary this service really is.

dlm477
December 4th, 2008, 15:11
Yes, the Avus from Chicago. It only got bid up to $32k though. I re-traded the guy to $33k.

dlm477
December 4th, 2008, 17:46
I held off on the sale and car is available in Chicago for $34k firm. Car is on autotrader if you are interested. THanks.

Dan

LIRS6
December 5th, 2008, 14:59
I'm confused - you write that you agreed to sell the car for $32k. Then you back-trade the guy to $33k? And then you ultimately pulled the car and now want $34k?

Hmmm

dlm477
December 5th, 2008, 15:01
I'm confused - you write that you agreed to sell the car for $32k. Then you back-trade the guy to $33k? And then you ultimately pulled the car and now want $34k?

Hmmm

Yes. According to RS6.com its probably worth even more.

Yellow RS6
December 5th, 2008, 15:13
Considering it's due for the 35K mile timing belt service ($2500+), and the current market conditions, you should have taken the $33K IMO. Does it have any warranty?

dlm477
December 5th, 2008, 15:21
Yes, has certified warranty with 1.5 years remaining. This was one of the last RS6s sold new in 2004.

mmaturo
December 5th, 2008, 18:38
I think you should have sold it personally at 33 as it is only going to get worse. Yes the 35K service is necessary (the heat the engine runs at I wouldn't risk a timing belt failure on this thing) and is a big expense at this point, and does detract from the value as the buyer will need to do it or you need to invest more money in a car you want to get rid of. I was offered the same low trades on my car both here in Chicago and elsewhere but with more miles back in April, its worse since then. 29K was the best when i gave up on it 6 months ago and that was only since i was going to buy an S5. I gave up as i still owe a lot on my RS6 so wasn't worth it. The cars are at auction in the low to mid twenties and getting easy to find in various states of condition. You are going to have to wait for the right buyer so its up to you the time value of waiting for the $$ vs potential further reduction in value.

You can certainly gauge trade it...its the auction prices as dealers are sending them straight to auction. I don't like it either but the cars are still sinking in value.

DuckWingDuck
December 5th, 2008, 19:02
I'm with our man from Chicago, ultimately it's up to you whether you want to sell the car or not. I think at 33, it is a good price for both buyer and seller. If you think you will need to sell the car within the next year, I would more it now, however, if you think you would like to hang onto this car for a few more years and won't necessarily need the money, then by all means hang onto it to cherry pick the best offer. Only you know what your financial situation is.

dlm477
December 5th, 2008, 22:02
Thanks guys. I am will probably sell it for $33k this weekend. Don't have time to create a bidding war. I do think $32k was too low though given warranty and pretty clean.

dlm477
December 5th, 2008, 22:50
Just found out timing belt was done in 2007 under warranty. I will still probably sell for 33k as I dont have time to deal with a bidding process.

mmaturo
December 5th, 2008, 23:08
Probably the right thing to do if you want to move it. I still can't tell what cars are actually selling for on the websites but looking through other cars on autotrader etc and what dealers are asking (near 33 to 35) i think as Duck said you are at a number where the car will sell easily and a buyer feels like they are getting a good deal...which they are. $2K more may be possible (due to still having good warranty and extra warranty can still be purchased) but that could evaporate next month as value is still dropping constantly.

jbtexas
December 6th, 2008, 02:47
This all depends on how important it is that you sell the car immediately. I have been buying and selling cars for a long time, and I will say that it has been very interesting to watch the behavior in this particular market. Lots of people have been watching CNN and think that the world is ending, and that you will sell them your RS6 for the price of a Honda Accord because of it. I went through a LOT of tire kickers/lowballs in the short time I had my car listed before accepting deposit today. I think that you are underpriced at $33k, as others have pointed out, there are cars like the one that just SOLD (thats not asking) on EBay with similar mileage for $42k. I am selling mine for only $8k more with less than 3k miles and brand new CF/nav. Of course I am biased, but I think my buyer is getting the deal of the century...

dlm477
December 6th, 2008, 03:37
8k more than my car I assume at $41k?

I seem to be getting mixed views on price. I dont think I could get a dime over 28k for wholesale and I cannot see anyone paying over 34k private party or really retail. Its perplexing why that car went for 42k, that seems WAY over market.

jbtexas
December 6th, 2008, 05:13
I think that if you do a thorough search, you will find plenty of these cars priced in the $40s with low mileage. We dont know exactly what they are selling for, that is true...but trade in or wholesale values are irrelevant here for a retail purchase discussion.

I think that this is a "get what you pay for" car. Before I was a seller, I was a buyer...and not so long ago. I drove many of these cars and researched even more. What I found was that no stories...PERFECT examples, were very few and far between. Most of the cars I saw in the $30s were crap...at least at that time.

YMMV as they say...

dlm477
December 6th, 2008, 17:44
Back on ebay and available for $33k firm. The timing belt service was done in 2007 under warranty.

dlm477
December 19th, 2008, 00:05
Still available for $32k. Lots of flakey buyers but apparently one of the cleaner RS6s in Chicago. This is a steal.

cornishmoocher
December 19th, 2008, 00:21
I never thought id see the day when the RS6 is more expensive than in the UK........ You can buy an RS6plus avant here now on an 04 plate for.....£20000 and a bog standard one for less than 15.

EUROTEK//RS6
December 19th, 2008, 02:22
pics ?

I almost bought a 03' RS6 blk/blk with 30k miles in Chcago for $27,999 !!

but I was to late......

dlm477
December 19th, 2008, 02:30
That one was the black one at the Toyota dealer. Busted car, in terrible shape though. Car is on autotrader.