PDA

View Full Version : do i have xenon lights

logpak23
December 2nd, 2008, 20:56
Guys i know this is probably a really stupid question, but i have had My A6 for a while, and i think i need some new headlights lights, i just dont know if they are xenon or not.:confused:

Benman
December 2nd, 2008, 21:06
Need more info on your A6, what year, what motor?

Ben:addict:

logpak23
December 2nd, 2008, 21:37
Need more info on your A6, what year, what motor?

Ben:addict:

Its is a 2000 Audi A6 2.7t, the lights do have the circular lens around them, but the lights on them right now are very weak

DuckWingDuck
December 2nd, 2008, 22:50
Looks like the year 2k A6 2.7t the xenon was not a standard but a part of premium package.

Premium Package -
$1,850
Glass Sunroof (W/Power, Tilt, Slide)
Homelink® Remote Transmitter
Auto-Dimming Interior Mirror W/Compass
Auto-Dimming Exterior Mirrors
Memory For Driver Side Seat Adjustment
Memory For Side Mirror Positions
Xenon Headlights

logpak23
December 3rd, 2008, 00:17
Looks like the year 2k A6 2.7t the xenon was not a standard but a part of premium package.

Premium Package -
$1,850
Xenon Headlights

It seems like i have all the options listed, but i have been using halogens i believe, could that even work, i thought the fittings were different, i probably just damaged them

54m
December 3rd, 2008, 00:32
If you turn them on and they go from a deep blue'ish colour to white
then there most likely to be xenon, if there yellow'ish/white on start up then it's
probally halogen. hope this helps...

logpak23
December 3rd, 2008, 00:46
See my concern is I have the premium option but I have been using halogens, is there another way I could check

AndyBG
December 3rd, 2008, 01:58
Take a pic' of your car, at night with lights on and without flash on your camera, maybe we can ''de-code''- it.

MrBucket
December 3rd, 2008, 02:57

Premium Package -
$1,850
Xenon Headlights

I have a 2000 A6 2.7t 6 speed with xenons and no sunroof

logpak23
December 3rd, 2008, 04:04
heres a few pics, sorry the camera is not very good, the last picture is what i currently have in, i just dont know if i replaced the bulbs right, because some people have been telling me that they are xenon's

DuckWingDuck
December 3rd, 2008, 06:24
Could you take a picture from the cockpit or in the direction that the light is shooting. The difference between xenon and non is fairly obvious... Also, don't quote me on this but I don't think a regular bulb would fit in a xenon socket?

KK265
December 3rd, 2008, 06:32
heres a few pics, sorry the camera is not very good, the last picture is what i currently have in, i just dont know if i replaced the bulbs right, because some people have been telling me that they are xenon's
All xenon systems have washing system on the bumper and auto adjustment when the car is loaded.When you turn on them they go up a little and down until tilt.

Bigglezworth
December 3rd, 2008, 06:50
Halogens based upon your photos.

AndyBG
December 3rd, 2008, 13:07
Non-xenon lights...

Bigglezworth
December 3rd, 2008, 14:25
Audi RS6's have an HID (High Intensity Display) system. They use special bulbs that are powered by an electrical item called and 'ignitor'. The bulbs look like these:

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/5/0/7/6/6/9/webimg/139399092_tp.jpg

Expect to pay $60-80 for a pair of bulbs - double that at a stealer. Many people have converted a halogen system to 'look' like an HID system by swapping out their standard halogen bulbs and replacing them with a bulb that uses Xenon gas.

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/1/1/1/5/0/webimg/182132805_tp.jpg

These bulbs provide the blue/white light (color depends on heat spectrum you have - i.e. Kelvins) and run at substantially hotter temperatures than a halogen. They can be obtained pretty much anywhere these days from as cheap as $10 a pair to as high as $30-40 a pair. It's a common misconception that you can swap out to the high temp Xenon bulb to get your HID system. This is inaccurate as many times these bulbs run so much hotter than the halogen that they exceed the ability for the supply wires to provide sufficient flow of electricity (amperage) that they melt the wires and even sometimes cause fires......

The ignitor I mentioned above is the part of the HID system that takes the 12V power with lower amperage and increases the ability to provide more amperage to the bulbs. The wires feeding the bulb are thicker and won't melt under the load of the high temperature light.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z138/oemxenonparts3/DSC07227.jpg

Ignitors are a $150-$200 or so and double that price from a stealer. This doesn't include the bulbs.

Hope that helps.
Tim