PDA

View Full Version : BMW recalling DKG...

AndyBG
November 21st, 2008, 12:40
BMW also having troubles with double clutch...

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2008/11/bmw-recalling-2500-m3s-over-double.html

KresoF1
November 21st, 2008, 15:14
BMW also having troubles with double clutch...

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2008/11/bmw-recalling-2500-m3s-over-double.html

Known glitch. If I am not wrong we have here some member with both Audi S5 and BMW M3 Coupe with M-DCT? Maybe he can report about software update on M-DCT?

artur777
November 21st, 2008, 15:20
Are you about Leadfoot aka Footie?:-)

My personal experience:
I have driven extensively BMW M3 M-DCT before and after software update. The problems with satling and other issues - all were there...
Almost of all of the problems mentioned in the article were solved with the update. There are some minor problems after the update but it counts to 1% of all the problems that were noticed before the update.

Moreover, BMW is going to prepare next software update for DCT cars in some months to completely resolve all issues.

M3 owner
November 23rd, 2008, 08:14
Cars built between 28 Nov 07 - 10 Sept 08 are affected. Believe me,the software glitch is the least of their problems.The only reason anyone would praise this car would b out of brand loyalty.
The E36/46 M3’s earned their reputations; the E92 M3 is living off past glory.
If u insist on buying a BMW,buy a manual 335i/135i coupe.

Leadfoot
November 23rd, 2008, 23:48
Known glitch. If I am not wrong we have here some member with both Audi S5 and BMW M3 Coupe with M-DCT? Maybe he can report about software update on M-DCT?

Kerso,

Just to inform you, I have sold the M3 and have taken delivery of a Bugatti instead. The gearbox was a pain and I wanted a proper dual clutch without all the faults. :hihi:

KresoF1
November 24th, 2008, 07:09
Kerso,

Just to inform you, I have sold the M3 and have taken delivery of a Bugatti instead. The gearbox was a pain and I wanted a proper dual clutch without all the faults. :hihi:

Huh... Why? Since I was refering to another member here(from Germany) who really owns S5 Tiptronic and M3 M-DKG. He is not posting that much but, he promissed me in phone conversation that he will post his findings about M-DKG. Arthur777 assumed that it was you-Leadfoot. I then looked over at m3post forum and indeed to my supriese you seems to have both cars also....
My original post was not aimed to you in any way.

BTW, if you own(ed) M3 M-DCT why are you bashing that car here so much? It is pretty good car IMHO for BMW...

artur777
November 24th, 2008, 12:48
Interesting topic BTW...
IMHO M3 DKG is a nce car, as well as RS4/RS5...
each has its own strong points

artur777
November 24th, 2008, 12:56
BTW, we have done some tests to look at the speed of new M3 DKG.
Stock version on new PS2 tyres did 1/4 mile for 12,75 secs with the trap speed about 175-180 km/h.
After that we tried M3 DKG with ECU tuning and exhausts - and it's time was much faster. 1/4 mile for 12,2 secs and the trap speed was about 200 km/h.

new RS6 avant (bone stock) was faster up to 120 km/h and slower after that speed than the modded M3... RS5 was about 12,6 secs for 1/4 mile with the trap speed about 185-190 km/h

just for comparisson, chipped Porsche 911 Turbo did 1/4 mile for 11,5 secs

Leadfoot
November 24th, 2008, 14:34
BTW, we have done some tests to look at the speed of new M3 DKG.
Stock version on new PS2 tyres did 1/4 mile for 12,75 secs with the trap speed about 175-180 km/h.
After that we tried M3 DKG with ECU tuning and exhausts - and it's time was much faster. 1/4 mile for 12,2 secs and the trap speed was about 200 km/h.

new RS6 avant (bone stock) was faster up to 120 km/h and slower after that speed than the modded M3... RS5 was about 12,6 secs for 1/4 mile with the trap speed about 185-190 km/h

just for comparisson, chipped Porsche 911 Turbo did 1/4 mile for 11,5 secs

I take it you meant RS6 and not RS5.

Also M3 only making 112mph in the 1/4 mile run, I would have thought it would have been a little quicker. Is the manual any quicker?

artur777
November 24th, 2008, 14:38
Thanks, Leadfoot.
I meant RS6 of course...

Manual is not any quicker, because the driver needs to be a real prof to launch it with less wheel spin and to shift as fast as DKG:-)))
Manual versions were clocked at 13,0 secs the fastest. The driver was a professional, but not a racing pro.

Leadfoot
November 24th, 2008, 16:06
Thanks, Leadfoot.
I meant RS6 of course...

Manual is not any quicker, because the driver needs to be a real prof to launch it with less wheel spin and to shift as fast as DKG:-)))
Manual versions were clocked at 13,0 secs the fastest. The driver was a professional, but not a racing pro.

How come all these magazines in the USA can get the M3 to post amazing 1/4 mile times and incredible 0-60mph times that no one else can recreate?

Are they pure manufacturer marketing, where the highest bidder offering the most advertising gets the best results?

artur777
November 24th, 2008, 18:22
How come all these magazines in the USA can get the M3 to post amazing 1/4 mile times and incredible 0-60mph times that no one else can recreate?

Are they pure manufacturer marketing, where the highest bidder offering the most advertising gets the best results?

Ha-ha!
Usually they say that their reporters are pros in launching cars:-)
and that thair ground cover is of the best quality:-)

Though IMHO it's almost impossible to repeat those numbers in everyday life...

Leadfoot
November 24th, 2008, 19:54
new RS6 avant (bone stock) was faster up to 120 km/h and slower after that speed than the modded M3...

I totally miss these comments when discussing the M3's 1/4 mile times.

How in the hell can an M3 be quicker than the RS6 when it's already quicker than both a stock M5 and a tuned one, which are already quicker than an M3. Explain the amount of modifation you are talking about for an M3 to be quicker than a RS6.

Is there any video of a modded M3 beating either an M5 or RS6?

artur777
November 24th, 2008, 20:48
I totally miss these comments when discussing the M3's 1/4 mile times.

How in the hell can an M3 be quicker than the RS6 when it's already quicker than both a stock M5 and a tuned one, which are already quicker than an M3. Explain the amount of modifation you are talking about for an M3 to be quicker than a RS6.

Is there any video of a modded M3 beating either an M5 or RS6?

Leadfoot,
I see your point - will try to look for this video.

For now I have video of bone stock M3 DCT vs bone stock M5...
The camera is in M5, white M3 is to the left. The tires in M3 are 95% worn, in M5 the tires are more or less ok - this affects the launch...
BTW - to the right is modded Z4M
The run is for app. 500 m.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw7S6H9Ujuw
You will see that the cars are very close to each other for the whole distance with may be a little advantage to M5.

Modded M3 (470 hp) was faster for 2-3 car lenghts vs both this stock M5 and this stock M3 for the distance of app. 500 m.
I will try to find this video.

This modded M3 was even or a little bit faster to bone stock M6 in the same runs - also will look for the video.