PDA

View Full Version : Daily commute

CTRS6
July 30th, 2003, 14:04
Hi everyone. My Blue RS6 has now hit milestone 5 - so I am starting to get excited and apprehensive.

I love my 1995 A6 - I use it as a weekend get around car with my kids. My daily commute is about 30 minutes - on both highway and back roads. I use my 2001 E430 for this.

What I am wondering is how many members use, or will use, the RS6 for a daily commute. The E430 is very comfortable - but not much fun ( except the V8 has plenty of power )

I am concerned that the ride quality on the RS6 will be such that the daily commute will be a grind? I previously owned a Boxster S - and that was fun in the weekend - but a horrible daily drive (Manual, hard ride, small interior).

AvusRS6
July 30th, 2003, 14:41
I personally think it will be fine. Although I work from home so I don't have a "commute" per say.

andyp
July 30th, 2003, 14:47
CTRS6,

I shared your concern before picking up my RS6 last weekend. Rest assured you will be pleasantly surprised. My commute is 88 miles round trip and I find the RS6 ideal as a commuting car. It's fun, fast AND comfortable. My previous commuting car was my wife's 2003 Range Rover which is very comfortable. Sure the RS6 is stiffer, as expected from a high performance car, but the seats are great (some comment that they are a little narrow) and the suspension soaks up most of what NJ roads have to offer.

TheBrit
July 30th, 2003, 16:03
Once you've driven it, I doubt you'd want to do your commute in anything else!

I commute about 35 miles each way on some nice winding country roads, through (sometimes heavy) traffic and all weather conditions, and IMHO the RS 6 is one of the best cars you could possibly hope to do that in. It's prefectly usable as a daily driver.

This is a short clip of my commute...

Commute clip (http://www.dlinternet.co.uk/chris/rs6/snow/3.mpg)

And one more...

Commute clip 2 (http://www.dlinternet.co.uk/chris/rs6/snow/4.mpg)

iconcls
July 30th, 2003, 16:11

bilbozilla
July 30th, 2003, 16:56
Didn't the street say "Slow" in the first clip? This puts you in quite a dilemma, doesn't it? I love the clilps!

andyp
July 30th, 2003, 17:47
TheBrit,

Thanks for the nostalgic clips ... I remember the days when I could overtake four cars at a time while driving on the other side of the road. I'm from Essex, but I live in New Jersey and I can't remember overtaking that many cars out here ... it's rare that we get to overtake other than on multi-lane roads. Unfortuantely, they've fitted all those cameras since I left but it's nice of them to mark the road so you get some warning at least.

Good luck with your RS6!

Andy

jconley
July 30th, 2003, 20:34
You will have no problem as daily driver- The ride is still but not harsh at all.

My commute is only 1.5 miles each way, and the RS6 makes me wish it was longer!

J

TheBrit
July 31st, 2003, 00:55
Originally posted by andyp
TheBrit,

Thanks for the nostalgic clips ... I remember the days when I could overtake four cars at a time while driving on the other side of the road. I'm from Essex, but I live in New Jersey and I can't remember overtaking that many cars out here ... it's rare that we get to overtake other than on multi-lane roads. Unfortuantely, they've fitted all those cameras since I left but it's nice of them to mark the road so you get some warning at least.

Good luck with your RS6!

Andy

Thanks Andy!

Lincolnshire's not bad for motoring really, it's getting harder all the time to drive creatively but at least Lincs police are kind enough to say on their website where al the cameras are! :)

Snow
July 31st, 2003, 17:18
Originally posted by bilbozilla
Didn't the street say "Slow" in the first clip? This puts you in quite a dilemma, doesn't it? I love the clilps!
Exactly my thought...

TheBrit: Great clips, as always it's nice to see it in action especially when passing other cars. But it got rather tight in the first clip when the truck came, didn't it? :hihi:

And I see that the weather is as usual in the U.K. :D

TheBrit
July 31st, 2003, 19:05
Originally posted by Snow
But it got rather tight in the first clip when the truck came, didn't it? :hihi:
The RS 6 seems to make small gaps suddenly big enough to pass in - must be some kind of time/space dilation thing due to the speed... :D

Actually, overtaking in Lincolnshire's generally for the brave - there's a joke that goes "If all the cars in the world were lined up end-to-end, a Lincolnshire driver would still try and overtake them all.", and it's fairly true. You wouldn't believe some of the lines of traffic I've seen people overtake in cars that just don't have the turn of speed to do it safely. At least the RS 6 is back on the right side of the road far sooner!