Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Finnus

Snow
July 30th, 2003, 15:09
I'm interested in that too!

GoFastKindaGuy
July 30th, 2003, 16:15
My RS6 is still on the boat, but here is what I use on my other cars:
General rule: clean inside then out; top then down.

Vacuum the interior and carpets first. Dust instruments and vents with clean, old makeup brush. (I find these in abundance on my wife's side of the master bath -- NEVER take a new one. Cleans just fine, but not worth the retribution.)

Interior leather and plastics: Zymol leather cleaner. Zymol leather conditioner. On dark leather, a minor scuff can be hidden with Kiwi shoe polish in color that closely matches the leather.

Window glass: dilute solution of vinegar and water with old cotton tee-shirts ripped into 8 inch squares. Wash them first to avoid lint (skip fabric softener dryer sheets -- use liquid fabric softener). Or, you can go the spare-no-expense way and buy cotton polishing cloths from Griots Garage.

Exterior: There are many good products, but it is hard to find a better collection in one place than Griots Garage. A few years back, I bought their Porter Cable Random Orbital polisher and two foam pads -- one for polish and one for wax, Machine Polish (1, 2 & 3), Best Show Wax, Speed Shine, and paint cleaning clay. Great stuff.
First, rinse. Then, wash the car in warm, soft water using a soft sheepskin wash mitt. When it is good and clean, use the clay with Speed Shine to lift the remaining impurities from the paint. Next (depending on the condition of the paint) use the appropriate polish to remove any light scratches. Change pads and apply the wax. Spectacular! (When you're done, hand wash the pads with a drop of laundry soap, rinse till the water is clear, air dry, drop into a ziplock bag for next time.) You can touch up between these major cleanings using rinse, wash and Speed Shine alone. I also carry a duster for, well, dust.

Uncoated wheels and chrome: I like Mother's metal polish or, if you can find it, MAAS aircraft aluminium polish.

Tires: Scrub with a nylon brush. Wipe with a rubber dressing which contains no silicone oil or petroleum distillates. You can spend the money for Griots, but why. You can find others for half the money at any good auto store like pep boys or autozone.

For one-stop mail order with far more products than you will ever need, Gyrots Garage. In the US, 800-345-5789 or www.griotsgarage.com. Though I may sound like it, I am not affilliated with these folks in any way. I'm just a customer with many good (and one bad) product experiences.

:hihi:

RS6FEVR
July 30th, 2003, 16:39
:cheers: Finnus

I think GoFast (thanks for that recap) has a good handle on a methodology for maintaining our beasts. I only differ in that I'm a zaino addict (among all my other addictions :D :D ) and I therefore substitute their products appropriately. See www.zainobros.com for their product line. I have no affiliation with them, other than a satisfied customer.

:addict: FEVR :addict:

GoFastKindaGuy
July 30th, 2003, 16:56
Never heard of these guys. I'll check them out, too! Thanks.:race:

GoFastKindaGuy
July 30th, 2003, 17:02
I like these fellas and their approach to quality and value. Their care tips are spot on, too. Thanks for the lead! I'm always looking to be better.
:bye:

RS6FEVR
July 30th, 2003, 17:19
:cheers: GoFast

Glad to have helped you add to your vast knowledge of auto's and their care! Just a follow-up on my experience with them. I like any company where you can call up and talk directly to the owner! Sal Zaino is a real stand up kind of guy and will answer questions directly. The products he sells are always in a state of R&D. I've used his polish (I guess that's Sal's claim, his products polish, not wax, car surfaces) on my vette since inception and I never get tired of the application process and result. I've won some awards at local shows and fests for the finish and that's good enough for me. He has an incredible following in the vette (and porsche) forum community.
Have fun and anxiously awaiting news about my baby :confused: :confused:

eph94
July 31st, 2003, 02:25
Am I going to be the only idiot who will be using his local automatic car wash?

Yes swirl marks... yes potentially scratched wheels... I have already experienced this with my current two cars... but after that first scratch and that first ding, the car wash really makes life a lot easier. :0:

Three years ago I bought the full complement of Griot's Garage products and after one wash/detail I realized that I can't stand washing my cars. It was a waste of several hundred dollars. (It doesn't help that I have water that is 30+ on the hardness scale. It may as well be spitting out Tums.) The only product I use regularly is the Speed Shine.

I know some people actually like the time they spend washing their cars (therapeutic) but I view it as a dreaded chore.

Should I really try to kick the automatic car wash habit?

RS6FEVR
July 31st, 2003, 02:59
:cheers: JJV-MA

Please tell me you're at least referring to a touchless wash :D :D :D :D LOL

I know what you mean about "spitting out tums" (great comment) as here in Chicago and also in AZ, our water is incredibly hard and very high in ph. But, I'm one of those who really does get some therapy out of washing my cars (either by hand or in a "touchless" wash) and really enjoying bringing out the shine of the clear coat. I maintain two cars, by hand if you will, and it's no more than 45 minutes every couple days or so. Of course, the wife doesn't do much with hers, so I take that to the wash at least every other week. I've also the benefit of a lift in my garage so I actually bring the surfaces that need polishing up to my level which makes an incredible difference in the effort required.

Don't kick the habit, just make sure you keep her clean (no matter what the method) and polish every once in the while to protect the clear coat.

MHO

jconley
July 31st, 2003, 03:13
Originally posted by JJV-MA

Should I really try to kick the automatic car wash habit?

Yes!!! Kick it, and find a place that will hand wash for 30 bucks- I do this once a week and a $100 detail once a month.

J

GoFastKindaGuy
July 31st, 2003, 14:00
"I've also the benefit of a lift in my garage"

FEVR,
What kind of lift? Pros/Cons? I've thought of doing this for some time.
:hihi:

RS6FEVR
July 31st, 2003, 16:10
Hey GoFast :cheers:
Mines an MN6 four post lifter with 3 ton capacity (if you've looked, you'll see they are either two or four posters, 2 to 4 ton cap.) from a company called autolifter (see http://www.autolifters.com) in KS for about $2700.00. Bought it when I got my vette in Jun 2000. I have a 2.5 car garage and the vette was the third car, sooo, in trying to solve the problem, I did notice that I had a pretty tall ceiling and might be able to install a lift versus adding on to garage. Did some careful measuring (you need an absolute minimum 108" height to stack a full size and sports vehicle, less if it's just two sportscars). My height was 110", so my wife was pretty amazed I made it work!!! :p :p

The three caveats are ceiling height, electricity availability and garage door track angle. I had to upgrade the electrical service in the garage with the installation of a 220 outlet to power the motor and pump (autolifter sells a pump that operates on 110, but it's too slow IMHO) (the electrician charged $150.00 for the install). I also had to have the top garage door track changed to give the door a "closer to ceiling" angle. The garage door company charged me $175.00 for this. The pieces come in a single package that weighs about 1500 pounds when delivered, but I broke the shipping package down in my plant and wound up with the heaviest piece at about 280# (which is the ramp that incorporates the hydraulic cylinder). I then loaded these into a pickup and a friend and I assembled the unit in about four hours. I had a small manual lift table cart at my home to use to position the heavier pieces during assembly and this turned out to be a very good idea! The controls are all on one of the posts and it has worked really well. It holds the S500 without a problem. Because my garage is "standard" in depth, I do have to back in the car which will ultimately be on the ramp and on top. The one on the bottom can be pointed either direction.
See http://www.autolifters.com. Also see http://members.shaw.ca/toyzforboyz/Garage.htm for another similar brand and (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=586353) for add'l info. I'm not affiliated in any way with either company, so you'll have to decide on brands.
Have fun, cause really, that's the only thing to have!!! :bang: :bang:

avdh
August 1st, 2003, 06:09
I use Sonax wax, polish and leather care.

Xtreme 1 Wax
Xtreme 2 Polish & Wax
Xtreme Shampoo or if not available, Sonax High Gloss Shampoo.

The standard range (red bottles) of Sonax is good, but the Xtreme is in a class of it's own.

The Zaino leather cleaner and leather care are excellent, in fact better than the Sonax leather care, I just have some reservation with Zaino on dark cars.

For more info on my experience with that product, click on link below

My experiences with Sonax (http://www.audioimports.com/cars/S6/sonax/sonax.htm)

GoFastKindaGuy
August 1st, 2003, 17:13
I just attended the Experimental Aircraft Association Airventure in Oshkosh, WI. While scanning vendor booths for cool stuff, I came across an interesting metal polish and SEALANT from Rolite Company. Two reasons these interested me: 1) most metal polishes have abrasive; this Type AP-300 has small micro-beeds the roll the edges of the scratch with amazing results. 2) the sealant is supposed to protect the surface from oxidation for up to six months with a cross-linked polyethylene polymer. These guys had a photo book and testimonial letters a foot deep. Might be worth a try -- particularly on uncoated aluminum wheels (my first application). Rolite is in Hartland WI (262) 367-2711. Email: roliteco@execpc.com.
:cool2:

Milesetone 7 today!

RS6FEVR
August 1st, 2003, 22:34
:cheers: GoFast
I wish I would have known this was the week? I would have gone up. I attended two years ago and really enjoyed the exhibition. Lots of fun and as you said, interesting products from vendors. Let me/us know if you try the rolite on the wheels (what's the specifics of your intended use?) and how it works.

Looks like our cars will be shipping up together cause I was notified this morning of MS7 also :D :D :D.

We're getting closer. I have a call into the dealer to find out what kind of schedule might be anticipated. Could be next week, I hope, I hope! :mouthshut :mouthshut :mouthshut

semitame
August 5th, 2003, 03:23
I was advised by my dealer not to wax my car at all. They put on a Simoniz finish which is warranteed. Is this a scam or was he right? Thanks.

Joyce

semitame
August 5th, 2003, 03:31
Originally posted by RS6FEVR
:cheers: JJV-MA

Don't kick the habit, just make sure you keep her clean (no matter what the method) and polish every once in the while to protect the clear coat.

MHO

My RS6 is a "him" and I am a "her". Was this a personal reference or a sexist comment? (wink wink, nudge nudge)
:confused:

eph94
August 5th, 2003, 05:20
Originally posted by semitame
My RS6 is a "him" and I am a "her". Was this a personal reference or a sexist comment? (wink wink, nudge nudge)

So your dealer doesn't want you to wax "him"? :bigeyes: :devil: Oh, nevermind.

:addict: :addict: :addict:

semitame
August 5th, 2003, 05:39
Do you think he's jealous?

Joyce:p

avdh
August 5th, 2003, 08:44
You should not polish a car for the first 6 months of its life, so that the paint and the clear coat have time to fully harden.

However, waxing is not abrasive, hence it should not be a problem, and will improve shine and protection.

As for Simoniz, I haven't got a clue if its good, but I would not allow anybody to put stuff on my paint....

RS6FEVR
August 5th, 2003, 16:57
:cheers: avdh

I think in the early days of clear coat, it did take some time for the paint and coating to "harden" so to speak. I believe that technological improvements in both paint and coating have now eliminated the need to "wait" for curing of the coating. GM (Vette) advises that you protect your clear coat with a wax or polish as soon as possible to preserve shine and eliminate swirling. The automobile detailing sites I frequent, along with the manufacturers of detailing products, suggest that there is no reason to wait for that first polish or wax application. :) :)

Speaking strictly for myself, there's no way I could wait to apply my personal protectant polish to that fine missano red finish!! :D :D My personal polish favorite contains no abrasives whatsoever.

RS6FEVR
August 5th, 2003, 17:05
My RS6 is a "him" and I am a "her". Was this a personal reference or a sexist comment?

:cheers: Joyce

No sexism intended or implied!! :D :D I'm from the old school when speaking of grammar and noun gender. I was taught that any noun ending in "e", i.e., automobile, was feminine in gender :bang: :bang: and reference all such nouns accordingly. Sorry for being politically incorrect and impolite!!!

Where's the performance review and photo's of him? :mouthshut :mouthshut

Have fun with him!!! :bigeyes:

semitame
August 6th, 2003, 05:26
Originally posted by RS6FEVR

No sexism intended or implied!! :D :D I'm from the old school when speaking of grammar and noun gender. I was taught that any noun ending in "e", i.e., automobile, was feminine in gender :bang: :bang: and reference all such nouns accordingly. Sorry for being politically incorrect and impolite!!!

Where's the performance review and photo's of him? :mouthshut :mouthshut

Have fun with him!!! :bigeyes:

So what do you do with the word "testicle"? :hihi: Pictures soon. I have another question which my dealer could not answer. In some (not all) circumstances when I brake (near the full stop), the wheel pulls to the right. I was wondering if this was a function of hugging the road or if a problem may be brewing. I was advised to work the car hard and see if it keeps up for the next few days. Any comments?

Thanks. Joyce and BLU-DOG

eph94
August 6th, 2003, 06:02
In some (not all) circumstances when I brake (near the full stop), the wheel pulls to the right. I was wondering if this was a function of hugging the road or if a problem may be brewing. I was advised to work the car hard and see if it keeps up for the next few days. Any comments?

Joyce, I think you may be experiencing "tramlining" with your wheels following the ruts in the road. What were you driving before the RS6? The "responsiveness" of high-performance tires along with a sport suspension on the RS6 transmits more of the road's imperfections to the driver. When I upgraded the tires on my 540i to Bridgestone S03's I noticed the same when braking and in other instances as well. You should get used to it. I don't even notice when my car tramlines anymore. I think my body just makes the steering adjustments subconsciously now.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/tramlining.htm

Oh, and I'm not even going to touch that testicle remark.:bang:

RS6FEVR
August 6th, 2003, 15:44

So what do you do with the word "testicle"? ROFLMAO :D :D :D

I didn't say it was a perfect rule, just a rule taught long ago when the english language was not so dynamic!! :p :p

I concur with JJV-MA about tramlining. One of the first times I drove my vette on a tight, well travelled two lane, I felt the exact same pull on the car. I believe that if you were to experience this same condition on a perfectly flat, well maintained road during moderate braking, you might have a potential issue with a side to side brake bias. Either one caliper or pad functioning more aggressively than the other? The "pulling side" being the culprit? I've not personally felt such a condition, but presume it's possible. Can you get your audi tech's to duplicate the situation on a good stretch of road under moderate brake usage?

avdh
August 6th, 2003, 16:20
Well, just to stir the pot, in french a car is feminin, but then in portuguese it's masculin :) go figure....

semitame
August 7th, 2003, 00:58
I just traded in an '02 M3C and an '00 A6 4.2 for my RS6. I had 18" Goodyear Eagles on my A6. Never noticed this type of action before on any other car. I took it out on the highway today and noticed a slight pull to the right. But since I live in Connecticut, even the highways are in bad shape. I guess I'll give it a couple more days. Thanks for the tip and I'll make it a point to get it out on some new, flat, straight roads as soon as I can - if I can find any.

BTW, I took the BLU-DOG to the auto car wash today even though it hasn't stopped raining for more than 4 hours in a week. Wanted to get that rust off the brake drums (is "drum" the right word?) He loved it. I'll get a hand wax job done as soon as I can, if I can find some girl who will do it ;) My auto car wash has all new equipment. I wouldn't take it to any old car wash - our local BMW dealer uses them to detail all of their cars.

Joyce

semitame
August 7th, 2003, 01:17
Since this is the only thread I've posted on, I thought I'd share with you "guys". I went out to lunch with my work partners (all men) and showed off my new RS6. While we were eating, Jim paused thoughtfully and said, "Was that thunder?" My reply was "No, it was an RS6".

Joyce:bigeyes:

sprint Blue
August 7th, 2003, 03:35
Zaino Zfx/z2 and Z6 and P21s concours wax on top.

RS6FEVR
August 7th, 2003, 03:47

Must be fun to show off! :cool2: :cool2:

The rust actually resides on the rotor or disc of the brake system. Properly, you could say you needed to wash the rust off of the rotor (I'm actually surprised the brembo's have rust on them?). Disc type braking systems, especially like those on our RS6's made by Brembo, are the most efficient and preferred systems for todays performance automobiles. I think if you still get a pull to the right on a "good" road, under moderate braking, you ought to have the brake system looked at by an audi tech.

Definitely can't wait to hear that "thunder" of my own. Did you get the sound enhanced exhaust option?

RS6FEVR
August 7th, 2003, 03:51
:cheers: sprint Blue

Always nice to find another zaino addict among the auto detailing crowd! :p :p :p

Are you into drinking the Z6 yet, being thoroughly intoxicated with the smell? :bang: :bang: :bang:

Ahh, pardon, found the thread with the photo's"!! Beautiful color. Wish it would have been standard. Would have been my first or second choice next to missano. :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

sprint Blue
August 7th, 2003, 04:01
I've driven 3 red cars and thought I'd go for something different this time. Misano Red would have been my first choice if sprint blue wasn't available. I didn't give a crap about attracting cops. It's a beautiful color. Why compromise?

semitame
August 7th, 2003, 04:23
Originally posted by sprint Blue
I've driven 3 red cars and thought I'd go for something different this time. Misano Red would have been my first choice if sprint blue wasn't available. I didn't give a crap about attracting cops. It's a beautiful color. Why compromise?

I didn't know that "Sprint Blue" was an available color. I thought that the only blue available was "Mugello Blue".
Joyce

semitame
August 7th, 2003, 04:29
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RS6FEVR
(I'm actually surprised the brembo's have rust on them?). Disc type braking systems, especially like those on our RS6's made by Brembo, are the most efficient and preferred systems for todays performance automobiles.
------------------------
I first noticed this rust on my Konig wheels that I put on my A6. Then I saw it on the Audi dealer's new A8 as well as an RS6 that they had in stock (obviously somebody must have backed out). After looking at my daughter's '02 Subaru RSX I noticed that she had rust as well. The difference I noted was that other wheels had such tight spaces between spokes that rust could go unnoticed. I was assured by my Audi dealer that this was a normal occurrence. Any word from the gallery?

Joyce

auditurbo
August 7th, 2003, 05:58
Always wax your car. Do not believe the dealer.

There are two sites that have products cheaper than Griots Garage. They are carcareonline.com and properautocare.com.

I have heard that the best products for our cars is 3M Imperial Hand Glaze followed by Blitz Wax. Periodic Claybar treatment is recommended. I haven't used these products because I have a complete line of Meguiars products that I have used for years. I am very satisfied with the results.

Mike

eph94
August 7th, 2003, 08:48
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RS6FEVR
(I'm actually surprised the brembo's have rust on them?). Disc type braking systems, especially like those on our RS6's made by Brembo, are the most efficient and preferred systems for todays performance automobiles.
------------------------
I first noticed this rust on my Konig wheels that I put on my A6. Then I saw it on the Audi dealer's new A8 as well as an RS6 that they had in stock (obviously somebody must have backed out). After looking at my daughter's '02 Subaru RSX I noticed that she had rust as well. The difference I noted was that other wheels had such tight spaces between spokes that rust could go unnoticed. I was assured by my Audi dealer that this was a normal occurrence. Any word from the gallery?

Joyce

I noticed that my rotors will "rust" too after getting wet. Noticed it on the wife's truck too. After taking the cars for a spin and applying the brakes, the rust goes away. I always assumed it was normal.

Erik
August 7th, 2003, 09:08
Getting rust on your discs is bound to happen every time the car is washed. If you brake it goes away. No problem, all natrual.
It happens to my (expensive) Movits as well. The laws of chemistry doesn't go away just because the brakes are expensive.

And - it's a good habit to brake HARD (just look in the rear-view mirror first...) every now and then so that the rear brakes get some excercise as well.

A friend of mine in a A4 1.8T drove really nice and gentle to save petrol and money. It cost him dearly when he had to replace all 4 discs because they where beyond repair becasue of low useage...

semitame
August 8th, 2003, 02:31
Originally posted by Erik
And - it's a good habit to brake HARD (just look in the rear-view mirror first...) every now and then so that the rear brakes get some excercise as well.

A friend of mine in a A4 1.8T drove really nice and gentle to save petrol and money. It cost him dearly when he had to replace all 4 discs because they where beyond repair becasue of low useage... [/B]

Just read part of my RS6 manual and it recommends refraining from braking hard during the break-in period. Are you recommending braking hard after the first 300 miles or even occasionally during the break-in period?

Thanks,
Joyce