PDA

View Full Version : what the hell!!! Hitting brick wall at 80mph

peiserg
November 16th, 2008, 07:03
my OCT milltek cat/exhaust with aquamist rs6 is pretty quick. Pulls hard up to redline in 1st, and 2nd... but now, a new problem.. i hit 82mph-ish in 3rd at WOT, approx 5000 rpm, and the car "sounds" like its still WOT, but is accellerating like not only have I lost both turbos, but 4 cylinders as well... it takes something like 30 seconds to go from 80-90 mph.

Going back to dealership i guess... only thing that's happened.. I was getting a ABS/ETC light, so took it in.. they replaced a "brake sensor," and driving away from the dealership, i noticed this problem... it was constant that day, and is now intermittent.

ideas? no MIL's have been tripped.

hahnmgh63
November 16th, 2008, 11:01
Is there any chance that your traction control light is flashing while this is occuring? Do you have VagCom to check for codes?

RS6C5
November 16th, 2008, 11:37
Transmission slipping?

Aronis
November 16th, 2008, 19:25
Not enough electricity flowing to the Flux Capacitor, so when you hit 80, the time jump does not happen, and you slip past to 82.

Mike

mmaturo
November 16th, 2008, 20:23
Transmission...or torque converter telling the ECU its getting too much torque and its shutting down the turbos...feels like you hit a plateau and nothing is happening. Mine did it at a lower speed in 2 to 3rd gear intermittently. Torque converter was the cause. Only threw a CEL when it finally went.

hahnmgh63
November 17th, 2008, 01:58
I sure hope my Torque converter goes before the warranty goes. I'll try to talk them into an upgraded one if I pay the difference.

RS6C5
November 17th, 2008, 02:03
Good idea,

Talk to these guys http://www.aceconverter.com/index.php they can offer a TC that will hold 800ft/lbs, and have the ability to be locked up in all gears when in tip-mode just need the software modified to activate this which would make it more efficent and also generate less heat.

mmaturo
November 17th, 2008, 02:28
Good idea,

Talk to these guys http://www.aceconverter.com/index.php they can offer a TC that will hold 800ft/lbs, and have the ability to be locked up in all gears when in tip-mode just need the software modified to activate this which would make it more efficent and also generate less heat.

Did not know there was such a thing for the RS, cool.

cornishmoocher
November 17th, 2008, 03:02
What the hell is WOT?

Aronis
November 17th, 2008, 03:07
Wide Open Trottle.

peiserg
November 17th, 2008, 04:33
ahh shit i hope it's not the tranny! I thought it might be related to the repair the facility just did on the car...

No TCS light comes on when this occurs..

so why does it pull hard as freight train in 1st/2nd, then stalls out in 3rd? I checked the vag com and no indication that the tranny was having a problem.

gerry

RS6C5
November 17th, 2008, 04:44
Less load in 1st/2nd where as under load in 3rd/4th the problem arises due to the torque generated.

Get vag-com on the car and check the ECU/TCU for the codes.

Try doing a WOT run in 3rd and 4th and see what happens.

hahnmgh63
November 17th, 2008, 13:29
I'm sure there are DTC codes. The Torque converter from ACE converters sounds impressive. I know after the DRC has been replaced, this is the last real weak point in a great car.

Spidercat
November 17th, 2008, 20:45
Has anyone done this ACE torque converter upgrade? I wonder how it compares to the offerings from Level10. Level 10 seems about twice as much, but they also offer valve body mods, etc. I think 1 or 2 people on this forum went with Level 10 and were satisfied. Any idea how many man hours to install?

peiserg
November 17th, 2008, 21:31
I'm sure there are DTC codes. The Torque converter from ACE converters sounds impressive. I know after the DRC has been replaced, this is the last real weak point in a great car.

as i stated earlier.. I ran vag com and cam up with no tranny codes. came up with a HVAC flapper valve problem. Is it possible it relates?

at any speed, I printed off my scan, and handed it to the service adviser at audi.

peiserg
November 23rd, 2008, 20:52
ok all you precogs with your magic 8 ball predicting my tranny is trashed. the dealer couldn't find any problems, they tightened every fitting they could find, and think they might have knocked something loose when fixing my ABS sensor.

car runs like a raped ape right now..

RS6C5
November 24th, 2008, 02:23
Good to hear!

Let us know the 1/4mile and power it makes on the dyno

peiserg
November 25th, 2008, 01:57
all my dyno sheets are already posted. just search.

fyi.. the problem is back. fawk.

RS6C5
November 25th, 2008, 02:02
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but it sounds like the transmission.

RS6C5

DHall1
November 25th, 2008, 05:29
"precogs"

"magic 8 ball"

Take the advice here with a grain of salt. Remember we dont have access to your car and rely on your descriptions totally. Audi couldnt even find anything and they had your car.

Give us some slack here.

If anyone mods the ECU to make more power+runs the car like a cheap H$$ker...well, they better have saved up money in a transmission fund.

Just common sense.

Good luck with the repair.

ok all you precogs with your magic 8 ball predicting my tranny is trashed. the dealer couldn't find any problems, they tightened every fitting they could find, and think they might have knocked something loose when fixing my ABS sensor.

car runs like a raped ape right now..

DuckWingDuck
November 25th, 2008, 05:51
Go trash that tranny! Heh.

RS6C5
November 25th, 2008, 07:02
I am investigating this as we speak, the 5HP24 cant be built to withstand my future power targets so i am working out what is needed to convert to 6MT, and before anyone says it the block doesnt need changing.

The hardest part is the software which we have cracked.

peiserg
November 25th, 2008, 17:06
well i do run my car pretty hard, though I don't torture it unduly. Yes i am aware that mods may cause problems. While i'm hoping it isn't the case.. if it is, I'm prepared to crack open my bank vault with a crowbar.. since these transmissions are not cheap.

hahnmgh63
November 26th, 2008, 03:15
Supposedly the 5HP24 can be strengthened a little according to some rebuilders (Level 10, IPT Performance, Ace Torque converters). But by how much and I've heard good & bad about Level 10, nothing about IPT? MGH

Holiday
November 26th, 2008, 05:15
In my 4 weeks of ownership, I've noticed a slight, yet measureable decrease in performance lately. Got a check engine light that indicated the same malfunctioning HVAC flapper valve that you mentioned. Had it replaced this morning and the car feels as though it has 100 more hp throughout the RPM band. Ordinarilly, I'd never believe that an emissions valve could have this effect, but what can I say- no more sluggishness!

Worth a try...

Ross

peiserg
December 12th, 2008, 03:04
ok.. as an update...

dealer felt the n75 valve and a boost sensor were not within spec.. so replaced both. I have only been able to get on the throttle a few times today.. so far so good, but the problem was intermittent to begin with..

damn holmes, i'm glad i got that fidelity platinum ext. warranty! bought it from dealer after i bought audi from private sale. almost paid itself back in its entirety! $1000 fuel sensor, $500 for this, $500 for ABS/TCS sensor...

gerry

maarten
December 12th, 2008, 12:28
:harass:
Not enough electricity flowing to the Flux Capacitor, so when you hit 80, the time jump does not happen, and you slip past to 82.

Mike

peiserg
December 13th, 2008, 06:05
aight...

problem still occuring.

I'm hopeful... i FINALLY got the MIL to turn on..

i don't have my vagcom with me, so it'll be a few days till I can scan it. i'm hoping it has something to do with the problem.. and not some new unrelated issue.

peiserg
December 16th, 2008, 22:01
ok... as an update... FINALLY got the torque converter MIl.. I'm acttually happy, as this is a definitive diagnosis.

I was told this is a common problem, recognized by audi, and the replacement is an upgrade.

hahnmgh63
December 17th, 2008, 01:31
I hadn't heard that the factory had a TQ upgrade but maybe ZF has improved the TQ? Anyone know for sure? I think mine is on the way out and although it is under warranty I may pay for the part and go with IPT or someone else if they do the labor if the warranty company will go for it.

peiserg
December 17th, 2008, 03:35
i don't mean upgrade as in "holds more power" but as in "crappy design resulting in early failure has been rectified."

paul_23
August 3rd, 2009, 19:51
Did anyone go for an ACE torque converter as I have seen their web site and they look good, and half the price of a OEM or Level 10/IPT.

If the torque converter is upgraded to take more torque (like 550lbft) then does the TCU need reprogramming?

JAXRS6
August 4th, 2009, 08:27
Years ago my RS 6 suffered what I call "subpar performance," at times acting like it had 300 hp instead of 450. Dealer replaced ECU; was better for a while, then intermittent problem returned. Replaced ECU again, fine again, failed again. Finally they replaced the wiring harness and that took care of the problem.

p3u
August 6th, 2009, 02:14
Years ago my RS 6 suffered what I call "subpar performance," at times acting like it had 300 hp instead of 450. Dealer replaced ECU; was better for a while, then intermittent problem returned. Replaced ECU again, fine again, failed again. Finally they replaced the wiring harness and that took care of the problem.

What part of the wiring harness was faulty?

JAXRS6
August 6th, 2009, 06:27
What part of the wiring harness was faulty?

It's been about five years so I don't recall all the details. After multiple ECU failures, they discovered the wiring harness was shorting out the ECUs if I recall correctly.

MaxRS6
September 24th, 2009, 22:34
my OCT milltek cat/exhaust with aquamist rs6 is pretty quick. Pulls hard up to redline in 1st, and 2nd... but now, a new problem.. i hit 82mph-ish in 3rd at WOT, approx 5000 rpm, and the car "sounds" like its still WOT, but is accellerating like not only have I lost both turbos, but 4 cylinders as well... it takes something like 30 seconds to go from 80-90 mph.

Going back to dealership i guess... only thing that's happened.. I was getting a ABS/ETC light, so took it in.. they replaced a "brake sensor," and driving away from the dealership, i noticed this problem... it was constant that day, and is now intermittent.

ideas? no MIL's have been tripped.

What you describe about the 80 mph wall just happened to me, and the tech just called and they suspect it is a faulty turbo blow off valve. The part is ordered and I should get it back early next week. I did not know if you ever resolved your issue, and thought I would provide this info to you.

peiserg
September 25th, 2009, 00:45
the problem was finally resolved with an "overlay" of the ecu wiring between the ecu and n75 valve.

car would call for 2100 mb boost and end up with 2700 or something and dump right into limp mode. The TC went bad at about the same time, i think by coincidence. the TC was replaced without fixing the accelleration problem.

The car hasbeen symptom free for 6 months now after the ecu wiring overlay.