PDA

View Full Version : Porsche to work with Audi in building the RS5

Vorsprung
November 12th, 2008, 08:56
Speculation at the moment it seems but the rumours are that Porsche will be working with Audi in developing the RS5, much like the original RS2 Estate.

Link to the source: http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Audi-Concepts/235979/

AndyBG
November 12th, 2008, 12:44
Not likely to hapend, IMHO.

Erik
November 12th, 2008, 13:41
They wish... :D

artur777
November 12th, 2008, 13:42
Why do you think so?

The Pretender
November 12th, 2008, 16:00
Why do you think so?
In the past Audi needed help with performance models, like the RS2.
But now a day's "Quattro GmbH" is one of the best in the field.
Audi's "Quattro GmbH" don't need help from Porsche for performance models.
They do a more then fine job by there self's, the TT RS will prove that.

Jarod.

youry
November 12th, 2008, 16:09
I agree with you on that, no help needed

Leadfoot
November 12th, 2008, 16:20

Jarod.

I see you are coming round to my way of thinking. ;)

I did hear some addition info in both the TT/RS and the RS5, S/Tronic will be there in the TT/RS but not at launch (think 2010 probably) and I also have a good understand of what the awd system will be. The RS5 I originally posted more than a year ago is also looking to be about spot on, though I will hopefully have some more info shortly.

Remember that fake document. ;)

youry
November 12th, 2008, 16:26

I did hear some addition info in both the TT/RS and the RS5, S/Tronic will be there in the TT/RS but not at launch (think 2010 probably) and I also have a good understand of what the awd system will be. The RS5 I originally posted more than a year ago is also looking to be about spot on, though I will hopefully have some more info shortly.

not good what you are asying bevasu that measn we are goignto se a NA engine 4.2 V8 of 450hp in the RS5.......... which sucks...... on a dyno its goign to get 30-40hp less (as with RS4 V8). if they were really able to get 450hp out of it then it would be a 70hp increase then that would be totally different....

Leadfoot
November 12th, 2008, 16:57
not good what you are asying bevasu that measn we are goignto se a NA engine 4.2 V8 of 450hp in the RS5.......... which sucks...... on a dyno its goign to get 30-40hp less (as with RS4 V8). if they were really able to get 450hp out of it then it would be a 70hp increase then that would be totally different....

Why assume the RS5 will only produce a 'true' 410~420hp on a dyno if it gets 450hp quoted output, not that I am saying that. ;) I prefer to work with the Nm measurement of which the RS5 will be much healthier than either the RS4 or the M3.

youry
November 12th, 2008, 17:09
Why assume the RS5 will only produce a 'true' 410~420hp on a dyno if it gets 450hp quoted output, not that I am saying that. ;) I prefer to work with the Nm measurement of which the RS5 will be much healthier than either the RS4 or the M3.

its based on their previous NA V8s simply.

S4 V8 had really 300-310hp on dynos
RS4 V8 had really 360-380hp on, dynos (and 400Nm by the way far from the 430 quoted)

so that is why I am afraid we we will see it again in another 4.2 V8 NA on a RS5 is such engine is confirmed at 450hp on paper.

please share what you really know would be great.

The Pretender
November 12th, 2008, 17:19
Audi could surprise us with a different crankshaft. ;)

Jarod.

Michaël Barbé
November 12th, 2008, 18:30

Man I'm from Belgium too but: asying, bevasu, measn, goignto, goign,...
I make mistakes too but all of these in one sentence:nono: ;)

MB
:rs6kiss:

The Pretender
November 12th, 2008, 19:06
Man I'm from Belgium
Merelbeke, daar spreken ze toch Nederlands, or am i mistaken.

Jarod.

youry
November 12th, 2008, 19:16
Man I'm from Belgium too but: asying, bevasu, measn, goignto, goign,...
I make mistakes too but all of these in one sentence:nono: ;)

MB

I type too quickly. that has nothing to do with my english or the fact I live in Belgium.

one issue with this forum is that once you've sent the message you cannot modify it. Hence I saw the errors, but could not correct them.

Michaël Barbé
November 12th, 2008, 19:20
I type too quickly. that has nothing to do with my english or the fact I live in Belgium.

one issue with this forum is that once you've sent the message you cannot modify it. Hence I saw the errors, but could not correct them.

You can edit your sentence! But I'm not picking on you if that is what you think.

MB

Michaël Barbé
November 12th, 2008, 19:21
Merelbeke, daar spreken ze toch Nederlands, or am i mistaken.

Jarod.

The famous Pretender spreekt Nederlands:hahahehe: Vanwaar ben jij, of hoe komt het dat je Nederlands kan?

MB

The Pretender
November 12th, 2008, 20:17
The famous Pretender spreekt Nederlands:hahahehe: Vanwaar ben jij, of hoe komt het dat je Nederlands kan?

MB

There are pretenders among us.....
Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....
I can pretend that i'm Dutch. ;)

Jarod.

Ruergard
November 12th, 2008, 20:31
There are pretenders among us.....
Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....
I can pretend that i'm Dutch. ;)

Jarod.

Haha! :applause:

:cheers:

I think that Quattro GMBH can do it by themselves these days, when the RS2 was made Audi needed a little kick in the back. But now, I don't think so.
But creds to Porsche for what they did in the early 90's, the RS2 is still one mighty machine.

Rage
November 12th, 2008, 22:33

500NM?

NA or Turbo/SC is the real question??

The Pretender
November 13th, 2008, 00:13
Haha! :applause:

:cheers:

I think that Quattro GMBH can do it by themselves these days, when the RS2 was made Audi needed a little kick in the back. But now, I don't think so.
But creds to Porsche for what they did in the early 90's, the RS2 is still one mighty machine.
Without a doubt.

Jarod.

itisme
November 13th, 2008, 10:24
May be they are working together with the clutch.... to get a perfekt DSG or PDK...

Mockenrue
November 17th, 2008, 21:15
I was privileged enough today to get a (very!) brief look at a page on Audi UK's intranet site, to which dealers have access. The Autocar article seems entirely factual in that Porsche and Audi are going to be working together more in the next few years than they have in the last ten.

However, Audi have been quick to point out to their dealers that there are no plans to build a new 'RS2' model.

Audi also wanted to point out that the somewhat crude and amateurish computer rendering in the picture is entirely fictional and not related to any particular upcoming model.

SR71
November 19th, 2008, 12:57
Over on http://rs246.com in the B7 Forum (http://www.rs246.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=73889&start=0) it appears that an Italian owner has finally discovered why B7's have always been down on the power (mine produced 390hp and 320ftlbs of torque, so down on the hp but about right on the torque).

The quality of the inlet manifold finish is somewhat less than to be expected in a £55K car with significant lips left on the "finished" product. Look at a CSL manifold and observe the difference.

Some straightforward porting of the inlet manifold alone released an extra ~30hp, which is staggering and brought the car back up to the OEM numbers, namely, ~414(b)hp.

There are now owners endeavouring to reproduce these results and, of course, we're all now wondering whether the manifolds fitted to our own cars are finished just as poorly.

In addition, it begs the question, "What is possible if you port/flow/blueprint, in addition, the head and exhaust side as well?"

In terms of hp/litre, with GT3/F430 figures to aim for, it should be possible to extract ~480hp out of the 4.2.

Which begs the question, does the B9 version of the RS4, or indeed, the RS5 need to be anything other than NA? Can't they re-use the 4.2 just a little longer and save the esoteric SC'ed or TC'ed evolutions for the B11 version?

With a combined diet to bring the car down to around 1500-1600kg, and the above power, you're looking at ~300hp/ton which would do me nicely.

Certainly make it a competitor to the GTR, and lets face it, thats the competition we need to keep pace with at the moment...

Oh, and they definitely do need Porsche's help if their CFD is anything to go by...

Rage
November 30th, 2008, 19:02

Do you have a rough estimate of when we can expect the RS5?

I have a time critical event approaching next year and need to buy a car before then;)

Ps. Anyone have that excel spreadsheet that surfaced last summer with upcoming audi models or did we decide it was totally bogus?

The Pretender
November 30th, 2008, 20:45
Audi also wanted to point out that the somewhat crude and amateurish computer rendering in the picture is entirely fictional and not related to any particular upcoming model.
It's not a crude and amateurish rendering, it's made by the best in the field: Larson.
Autocar publisched a Crappy quality of it, the big version looks awesome with a lot of cool details.
Like: LED's, mirrors, side bumper gills, front bumper and side skirts.

Jarod.

KK265
November 30th, 2008, 22:16
Over on http://rs246.com in the B7 Forum (http://www.rs246.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=73889&start=0) it appears that an Italian owner has finally discovered why B7's have always been down on the power (mine produced 390hp and 320ftlbs of torque, so down on the hp but about right on the torque).

The quality of the inlet manifold finish is somewhat less than to be expected in a £55K car with significant lips left on the "finished" product. Look at a CSL manifold and observe the difference.

Some straightforward porting of the inlet manifold alone released an extra ~30hp, which is staggering and brought the car back up to the OEM numbers, namely, ~414(b)hp.

There are now owners endeavouring to reproduce these results and, of course, we're all now wondering whether the manifolds fitted to our own cars are finished just as poorly.

In addition, it begs the question, "What is possible if you port/flow/blueprint, in addition, the head and exhaust side as well?"

In terms of hp/litre, with GT3/F430 figures to aim for, it should be possible to extract ~480hp out of the 4.2.

Which begs the question, does the B9 version of the RS4, or indeed, the RS5 need to be anything other than NA? Can't they re-use the 4.2 just a little longer and save the esoteric SC'ed or TC'ed evolutions for the B11 version?

With a combined diet to bring the car down to around 1500-1600kg, and the above power, you're looking at ~300hp/ton which would do me nicely.

Certainly make it a competitor to the GTR, and lets face it, thats the competition we need to keep pace with at the moment...

Oh, and they definitely do need Porsche's help if their CFD is anything to go by...

I am watching for a long time this thread and I expect more owners results for doing the same.I could not imagine that this lip is responsible for 40HP.Why this guy did not polish everything inside the the manifold?Do we have a picture of R8 intake manifold?

The Pretender
November 30th, 2008, 22:44
Do we have a picture of R8 intake manifold?
The R8 intake manifold is very different.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
November 30th, 2008, 23:58
Do you have a rough estimate of when we can expect the RS5?

I have a time critical event approaching next year and need to buy a car before then;)

Ps. Anyone have that excel spreadsheet that surfaced last summer with upcoming audi models or did we decide it was totally bogus?

I believe people lost their jobs so maybe it wasn't totally bogus. ;)

According to what I have been told, the TT/RS will be launched first, sometime next year (possibly mid~late '09) so to expect the RS5 before 2010 would be highly unlikely.

MPT
December 1st, 2008, 14:13

Jarod.

Wrong. Audi didn't need help, it was only a marketing stunt. Fitting bigger brembo's, turbo's and remapping the ECU (or something like that), should not be a problem for Audi.