PDA

View Full Version : My new best 1/4 mile time! APR tuned!

Audi Fever
November 11th, 2008, 02:32
Hey everyone,
Been a while since I've been on here. This is from a track rental a couple of weeks ago at VMP. A buddy of mine put this on you tube touting it as the fastest RS6 in the country. Now, I'm not sure that is the case but the car is only running on the APR 100 oct tune and is otherwise stock with aftermarket wheels. No other weight reductions. I think it may go 11's on a cooler day. It has the mph for it.:burnout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_Px4OLWy24

http://www.dragtimes.com/Audi-RS-6-Timeslip-14320.html

snoopra
November 11th, 2008, 05:08
How did you launch, holding brake/gas or just gas on green? Were you in sport mode or Drive?

Audi Fever
November 11th, 2008, 14:31
Holding the brake in sport mode. Making about 5 psi coming off the line. I have the left foot brake option with the APR tune. This allows the car to be revved with your foot on the brake. The stock computer only allows the car to be revved to around 1300 rpm with your foot on the brake and gas (can't build boost). I ran the car without this option before and the best I could get was a 1.9x 60'.

Brent :addict:

mmaturo
November 11th, 2008, 17:20
very cool...may need to finally do the Revo or APR direct port tuning myself now that warranty days are ending...there is a huge price difference between the two but not sure what and if that difference is worth it??? Thoughts anyone. From talking with a n APR installer it sounds like it does the TCU as well?

Benman
November 11th, 2008, 18:01
Thoughts anyone.

All my experience is hearsay and secondhand. Having said that, I do not think you can go very wrong with APR, Revo, GIAC, MTM, etc... I personally am planning to do GIAC on my Beast as I was extremely happy with the GIAC chip I had for my S4.

Ben:addict:

Copper
November 11th, 2008, 19:43
Nice! My best ET was 12.8 1/4 mile stock I have not run my RS6 again with REVO. I'll have to go try a quick launch tomorrow with the left foot on the brake and see if the rev limit has been removed with the ECU flash. I never bothered to check.

Audi Fever
November 12th, 2008, 00:01
mmaturo -- The APR flash does include the TCM as well. I have read some other post about the TCM learning with some of the other flashes but I'm not sure of the results. I would think you would want both (ECU/TCM) flashed to take advantage of the extra hp/tq. I know our trannys have a adaptive learning strategy but not sure what the limits are when it comes to torque management.

Benman -- Your right when it comes to tuning. It all comes down to what other people have along with price, personal preference and experience. Not sure in that order though. If you have had good luck with something you tend to stick with it. I also had a B5 S4 that I did the stg 3 APR upgrade to and a 01 TT 225 that I did the stg 3+ on with excellent results as well. I am curious as to what the other tuning software is doing at the track though. The only thing that I have had to compare to is from what people that post on here and dragtimes are doing.

I really like looking in the back of Road & Track and comparing my times with the new cars out there. The fact that I can pretty much run on the street with what I run at the track is awesome! No worries about heating up the tires or getting the perfect launch. Quattro rules! :rs6kiss:

Copper -- Thanks! When you try launching tomorrow. See if you can hold the brake and then give it gas till the car feels like the brakes won't hold it anymore. Shouldn't take more then 5-10 seconds. Rpm will be 2k or more. Can't remember. Always watching the boost gauge. :revs: I usually give it 1/2 to 3/4 throttle to bring the boost up (around 5psi and the car starts pushing) and let it rip.

Brent

Bigglezworth
November 12th, 2008, 00:33
Nice time. Something to work towards. :)

Audi Fever
November 12th, 2008, 01:58
Thanks Bigglezworth (http://www.rs6.com/forum/member.php?u=3844). Nice collection of cars you have there! :burnout:

Brent

DuckWingDuck
November 12th, 2008, 02:18
Tim, what happened to the family van???

RS6C5
November 12th, 2008, 03:14
When you stall the car on the line (Foot Brake/Accelerate) the TCU send the ECU a command to pull timing and close throttle as a transmission abuse prevention feature.

This can be removed but not many can/waill.

garbi
November 12th, 2008, 15:43
with the left foot braking , is that overridden but the ecu program or tcu ?
i have done the dna tune( v happy) but has not got the brake override.
on the track , left foot braking puts the car on tilt mode for a second or so.
i would really love this function in my car.

Bigglezworth
November 13th, 2008, 01:14
Tim, what happened to the family van???
Parted ways with it a couple of months back. Was the wifes ride. Really didn't need it after she bought the big quad cab diesel to tow horse trailers and the like. It was a fantastic vehicle from reliability and maintenance. Honda certainly is top notch in those categories IMO.

When you stall the car on the line (Foot Brake/Accelerate) the TCU send the ECU a command to pull timing and close throttle as a transmission abuse prevention feature.

This can be removed but not many can/waill.
I find this interesting to hear. What is being described is an electronic control of the torque convertors stall speed abilities OR worse - killing the output of the engine so the tranny isn't overloaded. Not entirely certain why they would program this into the ECU as the Audi's tranny certainly has sufficient power ability to receive full HP/torque from the engine and should be able to overcome the braking resistance or at least the holding resistance of the tires.

Torque convertors work under principles of fluid coupling in which power is transfered between rotating inner (stator) and outer (turbine) rings w/ fins. Although not strictly a part of classic torque converter design, almost all automotive manufactures now provide converters with a lock-up clutch to improve cruising power transmission efficiency and gas mileage. This doesn't however occur directly off launch. The application of the clutch locks the turbine to the pump, causing all power transmission to be mechanical, thus eliminating losses associated with fluid drive.

My Buick has a 9" torque converter and stalls out at 3800-4000 rpm. I use a line lock to hold the front brakes at the line and bring the rpm's up to just below stall speed. Car is smack dab in the starting range for the turbo set-up I'm running and has FULL boost upon release of the brakes. No spool-up - just blast off. I also have a non lock-up converter.

The Audi on the other hand has a lock-up converter so unless it is programmed to automatically lock-up right off the start, then I would expect their being an ability to pressure it through and only get into lock-up when the rpm's drop and a constant cruise speed is met.

Given that the Audi uses two smaller size turbos to feed the engine vs. one large size turbo, the spool-up for the turbo is quicker and at a lower engine rpm. My Buick is a single much large turbo and so the spool-up time is slower. This is where the higher stall speed for the converter comes into play.

Tim