PDA

View Full Version : Erratic tyre pressure sensors

gaz
July 29th, 2003, 19:47
Hi All.
Is anyone else getting yellow tyre warning messages on hot days and radio interference with the system?

Many thanks to all who contribute here.....its full of great info.

peterb
July 29th, 2003, 23:36
Originally posted by gaz
Hi All.
Is anyone else getting yellow tyre warning messages on hot days
Yes - until I re-set the system on a hot day. I wonder what will happen when the weather goes cold.

and radio interference with the system?
Not noticed that one, but then I mainly listen to my PhatBox. The radio only switches in for traffic news.

TheBrit
July 29th, 2003, 23:43
Hi Gaz!

I was getting a few oddities with TPM which now seem to have abated. When I had the problem, I hadn't washed the car for about 4 weeks (bad, I know) and the wheels were thick with brake dust, it was a hot, sunny day and I was thrrashing it on a back road playing with a new A8 4.2 in the twisties. TPM came up with a big red warning which lasted for 5 or 6 minutes, then randomly would throw either one or all four corners up as yellow.

After I washed the car, I checked tyre pressures cold and all four were one or two PSI down. I pumped them all up to 40psi and turned TPM off, backon and then did a store pressures - all fine now.

It's worth remembering that the system as fitted to the RS 6 only stores a reference value for each tyre, not an actual psi reading, so it's important to re-store the pressures any time you inflate a tyre or otherwise do anything thatmight upset the TPM sensors reference value.

As an aside, do you find it hard to locate a petrol station who's compressors air lines fit the RS 6? I use Shell for Optimax petrol, and their air lines never fit properly due to the TPM arial leaving only a short bit of valve sticking up. Every time I've tried, I've ended up losing more air than I put in, and the supplied compressor us next to useless. If you want a recommendation, get a Halfords Rapid Digital Tyre Inflator for about £30.

Cheers! :cheers:

Chris.

Kyle
July 30th, 2003, 04:25
I can't stand driving to multiple gas stations trying to find one with a decent air hose that's is working order, but not in use.

So, I got a small air compressor and accessories from Griot's Garage (http://www.griotsgarage.com) . I check it every time I wash it now.

andyp
July 30th, 2003, 13:12
Do U.S. cars have a tire pressure monitor? I couldn't see anything in the manual.

TheBrit
July 30th, 2003, 15:59
Originally posted by andyp
Do U.S. cars have a tire pressure monitor? I couldn't see anything in the manual.
To check for TPM, press the Menu button on the centre console by the side-mirror adjuster, scroll down to the SET item and click. If you have TPM, there shoul dbe a menu item there for it where you can turn it on or off and store the reference values.

Chris.

TS
July 30th, 2003, 17:15
Yes to the tire warning message, but no radio interference with the system so far.
After I've checked the tire pressure (which was pretty normal) I just re-set the values in the computer...

andyp
July 31st, 2003, 14:06
Originally posted by TheBrit
To check for TPM, press the Menu button on the centre console

Aaarrrgh ... another thing we don't have in the U.S. ... a menu button!