PDA

View Full Version : Looking for RS6 for sale

bonedoc
November 4th, 2008, 02:17
I am entering the third month of my search for a 2003 RS6. I have had a lot of good input from the board (esp. DHall) and I am getting it down to a short list. Before I pull the trigger, I am going to solicit everyone one more time to see if there is a car out there that I have not seen.
A few requirements: less than 40K miles, no mods, no accidents.
Preferences: Some type of warranty, open to all color combos, CPO or history of CPO, dealer documentation, 35K mile service done.

Thanks for all the input. Hope to join you all as an owner very soon.

justinthyme
November 4th, 2008, 04:57
i am not sure where you are based, but there are a lot of almost new (very low mileage) rs6's in abu dhabi. they are unfortunately all modified, but that really isnt an issue. pm me if you want details of the dealer down there. a user named vangelis bought one there and i am sure he will tell you how reasonable they are

Erik
November 4th, 2008, 07:29
bonedoc, please tell everyone where you are located otherwise it will be difficult to recommend you a car or find you a seller.

bonedoc
November 4th, 2008, 14:29
Sorry, I forgot to tell you where I am located.

I live in Indianapolis, IN.

I am willing to travel to see "the right one"

ben916
November 4th, 2008, 17:11

Apparently there are 2 here in So CAL and since it is raining today (a Rare event), it would be a perfect time to drive them. Wait, that would be good for you to test drive but all the other knuckleheads with onion skin tires or Maypops will be spinning out shortly...

1. Daytona Grey with white seats, warm weather package, 22k miles with 35k mile serviced at 20k, Owner claimed not to know what a DRC is/was. $43,000. Autotrader... http://www.autotrader.com/ATCarID/AT-F0F6A74 (upon checking link, price went up?!?!)

2. From Dhall1, there is a 10k mile in So Cal for $48,000... maybe Dhall1 can pipe in where this one is or an area or where he found it.

KCRS6
November 4th, 2008, 17:14
http://forums.audiworld.com/rs6/msgs/43103.phtml

bonedoc
November 5th, 2008, 01:31
Thanks for the input from everyone so far. I am pretty familiar with the "commercial" websites (eBay, Autotrader, Craigslist) when it comes to searching for the car. I was asking more whether anyone knew of a car out there that is flying under the radar....perhaps an owner that might want to sell, but isn't necessarily wanting to deal with the hassle of listing the car and dealing with a bunch of tire kickers.
As far as price: I think that most of us on the board know what these cars are worth and for what they should sell. If you have been following Autotrader over the past 2 months, there are at least 6 cars with around 40K on them that haven't moved. The reality is that the economy sucks and the market just isn't what it was a year ago; not just for this car, but for almost every car. That being said, I am more than happy to pay fair market value for the right car.
Please continue to send any info you have;

DuckWingDuck
November 5th, 2008, 02:44
alright, screw it, i'll sell mine. $55k. LOL, heh. I think most of those who are selling want to sell but don't NEED to sell which is why you're not seeing the numbers move much. Especially with a lower mileage model because those are exactly the type of people who would own multiple vehicles.

jbtexas
November 5th, 2008, 03:44
alright, screw it, i'll sell mine. $55k. LOL, heh. I think most of those who are selling want to sell but don't NEED to sell which is why you're not seeing the numbers move much. Especially with a lower mileage model because those are exactly the type of people who would own multiple vehicles.

+1

I think that the nicer models that are owned by/maintained by enthusiasts with lower mileage dont absolutely need to sell... but given the economy, might sell if a fair offer came along

DHall1
November 5th, 2008, 05:05
+2

Nail on the head for JB and Duck.

Those cars look nice for $44 and $48 but dont list any extended warranty. If I had the choice. I would buy the car with 36k miles and 4/48k extended warranty over a 23k mile car and no extended warranty.

There is a 03 in Chicago, private owner, Daytona/Black with 5 years left on a Audi Platinum warranty. Only problem it has 48k miles and the owner is asking $39k. Up side is your covered for 5 years and up to 100k miles.

+1

I think that the nicer models that are owned by/maintained by enthusiasts with lower mileage dont absolutely need to sell... but given the economy, might sell if a fair offer came along

DuckWingDuck
November 5th, 2008, 05:20
that one in chicago looks like a good buy

DHall1
November 5th, 2008, 05:28
The owners brother is on the audi world forum. It looks to be well cared for but more miles than what bonedoc wants to consider. I thought about it for a winter car up here but its alittle too much money for a winter beater. :doh:

As a side note: That guy up in Portland (That JBTexas purchased his 85 mile RS6 from) has relisted his RS4. It has 7k miles and asking 49k. Bonedoc, if you would consider a RS4...that one should be perfect. Its on ebay again.

that one in chicago looks like a good buy

DHall1
November 5th, 2008, 05:35
What about this one? Its been up for quite a while. Says it has warranty. Low miles

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=252232966&dealer_id=63345975&car_year=2003&model=RS6&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=AUDI&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=85222&advanced=&end_year=2009&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=311&rdpage=thumb

DHall1
November 5th, 2008, 05:39
Here is the private owner one with the Audi Platinum warranty. It has something like 5 or 6 years left and will take the mileage to 100k. He just needs to move on the price to say. 33k. I really like the Daytona/Black/Carbon combo. I might even say its my 2nd choice to Avus/Bla/Carbon.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=253873354&dealer_id=63491175&car_year=2003&model=RS6&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=AUDI&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=85222&advanced=&end_year=2009&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=1456&rdpage=thumb

DHall1
November 5th, 2008, 05:52
This car looks very clean.

Here is the private owner one with the Audi Platinum warranty. It has something like 5 or 6 years left and will take the mileage to 100k. He just needs to move on the price to say. 33k. I really like the Daytona/Black/Carbon combo. I might even say its my 2nd choice to Avus/Bla/Carbon.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=253873354&dealer_id=63491175&car_year=2003&model=RS6&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=AUDI&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=85222&advanced=&end_year=2009&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=1456&rdpage=thumb

mmaturo
November 5th, 2008, 15:57
I am entering the third month of my search for a 2003 RS6. I have had a lot of good input from the board (esp. DHall) and I am getting it down to a short list. Before I pull the trigger, I am going to solicit everyone one more time to see if there is a car out there that I have not seen.
Preferences: Some type of warranty, open to all color combos, CPO or history of CPO, dealer documentation, 35K mile service done.

Check audiworld.com... the rs6 forum... 'daveykid' has a brother with a very clean daytona/ebony rs6 for sale as mentioned above. i am sure its lower miles. I have seen it, it is in excellent shape. I would negotiate price obviously but the brother is not all that into the car like we are (having met him too).

DHall1
November 5th, 2008, 16:09
What are you talking about. We only have 6 cars, of which 5 have boost via turbo, turbos or supercharger. The only one without boost is going to get sold. :doh:

As a side note, Shell super unleaded was $2.45/gal this week. What a difference 3 months makes. And diesel was in the 2 dollar range again. We can actually get our motorhome out and take a vacation.

DHall1
November 6th, 2008, 03:31
How about this one:

http://cgi.ebay.de/RS6-Plus-nur-zweimalig-auf-der-Welt-Nummer-351_W0QQitemZ160292180635QQihZ006QQcategoryZ9835QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

DHall1
November 8th, 2008, 06:16
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___2003-AUDI-RS6-TWIN-TURBO-QUATTRO_W0QQitemZ220308455605QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20Tr ucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?ha sh=item220308455605&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A727%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Never thought I would see the day that english became a second language. Yeeks

"I HAVE BEEN DRIVING THIS RS6 FOR THE LAST 2 YEARS. IT IS AN AWESOME CAR, I BOUGHT IT WITH A SALVAGE TITLE WITH 14000 MILES ON IT. HAS AN IPOD HOOK UP, DRIVES AWESOME, OIL CHANGE AT EVERY 5-6K MILES (TOTAL SYNTETIC). I DID A FEW LONG RUNS WITH IT. 4-5 SKI TRIP TO NORTHERN CALIFORNIA, LAS VEGAS A FEW TIMES, VALE COLORADO ONCE. TRANSMISSION SERVICE, ALL THE BELTS, WATER PUMP, ROLLERS, SPARK PLUGS, AIR FILTER WAS CHANGED AROUND 32K MILES. TIRES BRAKES, ARE STILL IN GOOD SHAPE. IT HAS BEEN MY BABY, I HATE TO SELL IT BUT I'M HAVING SOME FAMILY PROBLEMS AND I CAN NOT AFFORD IT. THERE IS A SMALL SRATCH ON THE DRIVER SIDE FENDER DUE TO A SMALL ROCK HITTING IT ON THE WAY TO BIG BEAR MOUNTAIN LAST SEASON, OTHER THAN THAT IS IN "LIKE NEW" SHAPE. IF YOU NEED MORE PICTURES OR HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I WILL HELP U WITH SHIPPING IF IT IS NEED IT, ALSO WILL DRIVE IT TO YOU IN A 500 MILE RADIUS FROM LOS ANGELES BUT YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR MY AIRLINE TICKET BACK TO L.A. AND FOR THE GAS TOO. CAR SOLD AS IS NO WARRANTY. "

snoopra
November 8th, 2008, 15:46

Saw Datona/Silver on Craigslist with 17K miles, $43K I think.

DHall1
November 19th, 2008, 03:36
Doc is goin to the dark side. Someone stop him...he is driving a M5 this weekend.

:addict:

DuckWingDuck
November 19th, 2008, 04:40
M5 is a POS compared to the RS6. I freely admit that I'm biased but the E55 and the M5 can't compare at all with the RS6.

bonedoc
November 19th, 2008, 19:08
M5 is a POS compared to the RS6. I freely admit that I'm biased but the E55 and the M5 can't compare at all with the RS6.

DWD, I would hardly say that any of these cars are POS. Judging by the number of DRC issues that I have seen come up on the board lately (and I know this isn't a new problem), I'm getting some cold feet on the RS6. For a car that is nearing 6 years old, things are bound to break.

The M5 does have it's known issues, in particular, the SMG trans. But at least BMW will fix it if it breaks! What kind of crap is this that Audi won't warranty the DRC!?

mmaturo
November 19th, 2008, 19:33
DWD, I would hardly say that any of these cars are POS. Judging by the number of DRC issues that I have seen come up on the board lately (and I know this isn't a new problem), I'm getting some cold feet on the RS6. For a car that is nearing 6 years old, things are bound to break.

The M5 does have it's known issues, in particular, the SMG trans. But at least BMW will fix it if it breaks! What kind of crap is this that Audi won't warranty the DRC!?

Its a faulty design in the shocks so they are stuck, but it is covered under some after market warranties...seems one of the Audi Pure Premium somethings covered it for someone on Audiworld so its not hopeless ....they cover the central valves but seems the shocks are wear items i guess they are attempting to claim. Solution is after market set-up and the car is fine for less than what a non warranty DRC fix would be. But knock on wood my fix has been ok for about 10K miles so far. As long as you have a good aftermarket warranty things should be ok, things break but chances are they already did on any car you buy at this point and for me anyway the second round of parts in my car were better than the originals. In the north anyway i will still take my RS6 over an M5 any day or the M3. Plus i hate the current BMW interior styling and quality of materials, but thats me.

DHall1
November 19th, 2008, 20:56
Jon,

Greg a die hard :addict: owner. I am too for that matter. So much that I may buy 2 of them. Heck, he called my E55 AMG a POS along with that M5. Yeeks. LOL

The :addict: does blow away the AMG E series as a drivers car. Hands down. There are several reasons why we own both. But my car is the :addict: and my wife drives the E55. Color, quality materials, fast, interior were all reasons for her choice. As was the condition of the E55. She has a keen eye and only because the car was perfect for an 03 did we buy it. You dont see many Platinum Blue E55s out on the road, that and the dk gray/blue special order interior were just too much to pass up. Our E55 reminded her of the 91 Supra Turbo that she drove. Same color combo and I had that that one boosed to 400hp. I gave the thumbs up on the cars condition and after beating the dealer down another 10k on price...did we buy it. Thank goodness for 450 a gallon gas at the time.

Cold feet? Comon, you can saw off any bone in the body and put it back together and you have cold feet? :race:

DRC is just a blip in the road. Really.

bonedoc
November 24th, 2008, 01:24
Gentlemen, I am just back from a 45 min. test drive in a 2006 M5 this past weekend. Before I go on, I just want to say that I know most of you on this board are diehard RS6 fans/owners. Not being an owner myself, I have not been able to experience the day-to-day joy of being an RS6 owner. I have only about 50 miles behind the wheel of the car, but have driven it on most road types and traffic situations. Without a doubt, a GREAT car! So, before everyone goes attacking me for what I am about to say, I ask you, have you driven an E60 M5?

I will open the flood gates with this statement: The E60 is a better car. From the moment you sit in the drivers seat, there is just something special that you feel. And that's before you start the engine.........
Now, I agree that Audi does a great job with their dash layout and ergonomics. Things are where they should be and they are easy to "use". But when you look at the tach and speedo in the BMW, you stare at the "M" button on the steering wheel, something just screams, "Drive me!" Did I mention that the seats grip you like a car that means business? They're telling you, something special is in store for you.

You push the "start/stop" button and....Am I sitting in an F1 car? Now, many of you may like the sound of the RS6's low rumble, the almost freight train-like tone. I have driven American V8's my entire life, so I know the love of that sound. I have spent hours and hours, and $$$$$ to get the sound I want from those V8's. But how often do you get to hear the sound of 10 cylinders at 8500 RPM? It's a unique, and special sound that is hard to match.

Driving the M5............As the salesman rambled on about this and that, trying to impress me with stats and information about the car, there was really nothing that needed to be said. The car was the one doing the real talking. Again, I ask, have you ever driven this car? The feedback you get from the chassis, the response of the throttle in 3rd gear going 90 mph, the sweeping corner that I'm pulling hard coming out of.....I'm speechless. With all due respect, I think that I just passed an RS6 back there as I hit 4th..... Which leads me to the transmission. The SMG is a "true" F1 manual transmission. I applaud Audi for giving drivers the option of shifting gears with their thumbs, but this adds very little to the driving experience in my opinion.

Lastly, we all know that both of these cars are expensive to maintain and fix. So, wouldn't it make sense to get the one with free maintenance and a bumper to bumper warranty for 4/50K? How about the CPO from BMW that takes the warranty to 6/100K? Sorry boys, this is big.

Alas, I have praised the M5 as superior to the RS6 in all of these ways. Yet, I am still not convinced that the M5 is the car for me. Shouldn't a car that is 3 years newer than another come out on top in many comparsions? For another $15-20K, should I expect more? Do I want to drive a "Bimmer"? What happens when the road gets a little slick? Putting 500 hp to the pavement just got a little scarier! Should I have to pay nearly double for insurance on the M5 when the RS6 is just as expensive to repair and has more than enough power to get me into trouble?

So, here I sit, pondering my future driving machine. I told myself that I would decide before Thanksgiving, but now I'm not so sure. Everything is in order to get the car I choose. Why can't I decide?! I think that the answer is actually quite simple. These are 2 amazing cars. Built by companies that build cars for the enthusiast. I honestly believe that I can't go wrong either way.

I appreciate everyone's input on this board. It's been a great journey and you have all taught me a lot. I look forward to sharing my "new baby" with everyone soon. What will it be ????????

DuckWingDuck
November 24th, 2008, 01:28
Clearly whatever comments I have will come across as harsh as my thoughts and feelings on BMWs are well known (frankly, I prefer Mercs over BMWs for a variety of reasons I just won't bother y'all with).

But, I do want to address this one point. Free maintenance. It's not really free you know, instead of paying for it whenever you take it in, it's just rolled into your financing by the higher price tag. Now, I'm not saying that it's a good or bad thing, I leave that up for the individual to decided for themselves, but free? Come on now.

bonedoc
November 24th, 2008, 01:35
Since the car is used, I am in complete control of how much I pay for the car. So, in this case, free is free. As for paying more because the car is CPO'd...of course I will pay more. But isn't that like buying an extended warranty? IMO there's nothing better than a factory backed warranty. But I do get your point....

DHall1
November 24th, 2008, 03:18
Jon,

A couple of notes.

Apples to apples the 03 RS6 ran circles around the M5. Dont listen to me, listen to Jeremy Clarkson/Top Gear when he looked at the 03/M5, E55 and RS6.

My favorite words were at the end when he says...I have always been a fan of the Who and I choose the Audi. Quattro and 450hp on tap for everyday driving in the rain, snow, sleet, dry gave the RS6 the nod over the others. I am hinting at your weather here. Hint, hint

Of note, was the comment about the E55....The folks over at Mercedes have gone bezerk/the engine sounds like the Tornado Jet Fighter. Kinda funny, the E came in second.

Now fast forward and we have a few new choices as you have outlined. I still say Quattro and 450hp cars are few and far between. Say only 1 car ever made it to US soil with that much power and Quattro. Something to be said about that.

I choose the Audi.

Gentlemen, I am just back from a 45 min. test drive in a 2006 M5 this past weekend. Before I go on, I just want to say that I know most of you on this board are diehard RS6 fans/owners. Not being an owner myself, I have not been able to experience the day-to-day joy of being an RS6 owner. I have only about 50 miles behind the wheel of the car, but have driven it on most road types and traffic situations. Without a doubt, a GREAT car! So, before everyone goes attacking me for what I am about to say, I ask you, have you driven an E60 M5?

I will open the flood gates with this statement: The E60 is a better car. From the moment you sit in the drivers seat, there is just something special that you feel. And that's before you start the engine.........
Now, I agree that Audi does a great job with their dash layout and ergonomics. Things are where they should be and they are easy to "use". But when you look at the tach and speedo in the BMW, you stare at the "M" button on the steering wheel, something just screams, "Drive me!" Did I mention that the seats grip you like a car that means business? They're telling you, something special is in store for you.

You push the "start/stop" button and....Am I sitting in an F1 car? Now, many of you may like the sound of the RS6's low rumble, the almost freight train-like tone. I have driven American V8's my entire life, so I know the love of that sound. I have spent hours and hours, and $$$$$ to get the sound I want from those V8's. But how often do you get to hear the sound of 10 cylinders at 8500 RPM? It's a unique, and special sound that is hard to match.

Driving the M5............As the salesman rambled on about this and that, trying to impress me with stats and information about the car, there was really nothing that needed to be said. The car was the one doing the real talking. Again, I ask, have you ever driven this car? The feedback you get from the chassis, the response of the throttle in 3rd gear going 90 mph, the sweeping corner that I'm pulling hard coming out of.....I'm speechless. With all due respect, I think that I just passed an RS6 back there as I hit 4th..... Which leads me to the transmission. The SMG is a "true" F1 manual transmission. I applaud Audi for giving drivers the option of shifting gears with their thumbs, but this adds very little to the driving experience in my opinion.

Lastly, we all know that both of these cars are expensive to maintain and fix. So, wouldn't it make sense to get the one with free maintenance and a bumper to bumper warranty for 4/50K? How about the CPO from BMW that takes the warranty to 6/100K? Sorry boys, this is big.

Alas, I have praised the M5 as superior to the RS6 in all of these ways. Yet, I am still not convinced that the M5 is the car for me. Shouldn't a car that is 3 years newer than another come out on top in many comparsions? For another $15-20K, should I expect more? Do I want to drive a "Bimmer"? What happens when the road gets a little slick? Putting 500 hp to the pavement just got a little scarier! Should I have to pay nearly double for insurance on the M5 when the RS6 is just as expensive to repair and has more than enough power to get me into trouble?

So, here I sit, pondering my future driving machine. I told myself that I would decide before Thanksgiving, but now I'm not so sure. Everything is in order to get the car I choose. Why can't I decide?! I think that the answer is actually quite simple. These are 2 amazing cars. Built by companies that build cars for the enthusiast. I honestly believe that I can't go wrong either way.

I appreciate everyone's input on this board. It's been a great journey and you have all taught me a lot. I look forward to sharing my "new baby" with everyone soon. What will it be ????????

Roger
November 24th, 2008, 04:20
I'm sure the M5 is a nice car, but many of us bought the RS6 as a car we can drive in the winter. I guess if I was in Florida it wouldn't matter, but snow is the reason I bought my first Audi. I remember years ago when I was at a high end golf club near Boston and noticed the parking lot was full of Audis - not MB or BMW. They may get more snow around Boston then some areas, but that's where I realized the advantages of quattro, and yes I feel smart when the neighbors are driving the old fat and slow SUV instead of a nice sports sedan. I hope the M5 like sitting inthe garage all winter.

colfax
November 24th, 2008, 10:46
hi as your request i waana selling my car it like brand new 29k only!
you can see it here :
http://motors.souq.com/item.php?id=4146961&item_list=Souq_car&offset=9&total_hits=25&s_preserve_sort=1&q=id%3D1392%26model%3D%26s_year_make%3D%26s_year_m ake_max%3D%26go%3DSearch%26s_maxprice%3D%26s_minpr ice%3D%26s_keyword%3D

no accedent! full sevice histori majer service 30k done 2weeks ago

bonedoc
November 24th, 2008, 14:55
As expected, I knew that I was going to ruffle some feathers with my post. As I said, I am still not convinced that the M5 is the right car for me. I do live in a 4 season climate, and the quattro would be a big advantage. Also, I agree that this not an apples to apples comparison Dave. No doubt, the RS6 runs supreme over the E39. But the E60 is a very different beast.

DHall1
November 24th, 2008, 21:17
Jon,

Dont worry, I know you will put the right car in your garage. E60 is a very nice car and dont let the RWD bother you. Just mount up the snows in the winter and run with it.

For years, my daily winter beater in the mountains was a 91 Supra Turbo. It was my wifes hand me down when she got her LX470. Of course the Supra was not stock...400hp and all I did was mount up the Blizzaks and ripped up the Colorado mountains. Never have I has so much fun with a car as driving that RWD monster in the winters. Just cruising down the hwy at 70+mph on solid snowpack when all the other cars/suvs were getting stuck was worth the price of admission. :hihi:

Finally sold that Supra a few years ago. It had 163k and was running perfect when sold.

As expected, I knew that I was going to ruffle some feathers with my post. As I said, I am still not convinced that the M5 is the right car for me. I do live in a 4 season climate, and the quattro would be a big advantage. Also, I agree that this not an apples to apples comparison Dave. No doubt, the RS6 runs supreme over the E39. But the E60 is a very different beast.

DHall1
November 24th, 2008, 21:31
One last thing. I was driving through the In-N-Out Burger for lunch to bring back home today. Yes, Casa Grande, AZ has a new store that just opened a few weeks ago. Kinda funny, for those that know the area we were just a hole in the wall a few years ago.

Anyways, I pull up to the pickup window in the RS and the young gentlemen sticks his head out the window and looks down the side of the RS and takes a double take. Then says, "Is that an RS6?". Yes, I said. Then he says, "I have never seen one of these in person. That car is fantastic!". I told him to work hard and he had good taste in cars.

:addict: There is always hope for the Y generation. Nice looking young kid and he was working very hard at the checkout window. To notice my car and chat for just a second was nice cap to my day. It also shows the timeless beauty of a well designed car. Even with the limited US production of 8-900 or even 1000 cars. People know what it is. Amazing

Trust me when I say, Casa Grande AZ is in the middle of the desert and not some high flutin town like Scottsdale.

Spidercat
November 25th, 2008, 07:41
I ask you, have you driven an E60 M5?

Yes.
Have you driven an RS6 with chip and race fuel?

It's a totally different animal. Seriously. There's about a billion threads on here comparing chips, but they're all only about a 30 minute conversion and only cost about $1K. You should consider it if you go the RS6 route.

And what's with all the drama about you picking out this car???
Just buy something already and enjoy it!!!:burnout:

bonedoc
November 25th, 2008, 18:20
Spidercat, half the fun of getting a new car is going through the process of picking it out. It's like the hot girl that you chase around for months, then finally get her. After another couple of months, she's not as hot as you thought. You're not quite as impressed with her.....eh..the car's lines. On top of that, you look in your wallet and realize that there's no more money left. So, to me, the thrill of the chase is just as important as the outcome.

FYI- I am happily married and no longer in the chase in that department...

Yellow RS6
November 26th, 2008, 15:43
I agree and disagree w/bonedoc on this. I bought my RS6 on 11/1 and spent a good 4 months shopping - lists, considerations, researching, test driving, etc. It was fun for a while, but toward the end I was at the point of "Just pick something and be done!" because it was consuming so much of my time. Part of my problem was that I wasn't set on one or two (or even 5 -lol) cars, I was all over the place, so it took a while. But I am happy now :)

jbtexas
November 26th, 2008, 21:22
there is absolutely nothing wrong with an E60 M5... its a crazy fast car with 4 doors...and was definitely "in the running" when I was looking for a fun sedan... I chose Audi instead for the following reasons (YMMV as they say) --

1) it is definitely not a "special" car... at least where I live, I see one about every 5 miles, many times with soccer moms driving them...this is not meant as any kind of negative comment towards women or anything like that, my point is just that it seems to be very common

2) the safety ratings in the rear seat are questionable... depending at what source you view (NTSB vs. safecar.gov vs. IIHS, etc.)...some list it as very poor ratings...I have two little boys that have to go in the back, so that killed it

3) a friend of mine owned the E60 M5 and sold it explicitly because of the gas range... the combination of a small gas tank and v10 gas mileage resulting in him pulling to the pump every few days...he said that this went beyond inconvenient and just ruined the experience it was such a hassle