PDA

View Full Version : Diverter Valves - Who's running what??

Bigglezworth
November 4th, 2008, 01:24
I've read through many archived posts on the Diverter Valve subject and see that there are many different remedies people have undertaken when the OEM unit(s) fail. APR, Statmosphere, and even other Audi Bosch OEM alternatives. Without drawing this thread out I'm simply curious about why you went with the one(s) you have and if anyone can provide insight on why one would be better than the next. Seems to me the aftermarket ones are simply more when an OEM alternative from a higher boost motore (i.e. TT) would well suffice. I'm going to swap the pair out on my ride since I cannot locate a leak in the line and I get the error codes for both banks and have intermittent performance gain/loss.

Thanks in advance.
Tim

Fonzie Audi
November 4th, 2008, 01:39
APR R1.

Great performance.. although you have to get used to the humming noise they make during mid RPM's.

No problems.

cornishmoocher
November 4th, 2008, 02:08
Forge Diverters. Fantastic. solid forged kit. a must if you are running extra! a once only retro fit!

I have the anodised black ones.

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=&product=FMCL007P

hahnmgh63
November 4th, 2008, 02:14
I have the APR R1 but I wouldn't say they are worth the price. No noticeable perfomance increase on my car(which is chipped), but it will probably last longer than stock, although I can buy 4~5 stock valves for the price of the APR. Also, there is a lot of honking from the valves.

cornishmoocher
November 4th, 2008, 02:19
Try the forge. no noise at all.
You will not really notice any performance increase from changing DV's.

Boosted-Bora
November 4th, 2008, 02:31
I run the Dahlback Diverters and I love them

snoopra
November 4th, 2008, 03:55
APR R1's, but like everyone said they "moo" like a cow in low boost/rpm's. Only maintenance free DV's on the market, though. If you don't wanna spend a whole lot, get a set of 710N from the TT's.

DuckWingDuck
November 4th, 2008, 09:07
pardon the ignorance but what are diverter valves? :D And it seems like this is a wear and tear item?

snoopra
November 4th, 2008, 13:22
pardon the ignorance but what are diverter valves? :D And it seems like this is a wear and tear item?
2 Pressure blow-off valves on the air intake which releases pressure back into the turbo "suction" side when you release the throttle (like a safety valve) located under the CF oil fill cover with the "rings".:thumb:

garbi
November 4th, 2008, 13:38
Alsoused Forge - 540bhp

Bigglezworth
November 4th, 2008, 13:44
Thanks everyone. Looks like a bit of everything. I think at this time I will be going the route of an OEM i710Ni valve which came stock on the TT 225 1.8T. I am positive my current valves are performing inadequating or are defective as I have extended lag, loss of boost, and sluggish throttle response. The OEM is available locally off the shelf so I can do the swap tonight and this model also handles the additional boost of a chipped car which is important as I'm in the midst of installing a performance tune and want to ensure I'm optimizing all performance benefits.

Tim

cornishmoocher
November 4th, 2008, 15:24
Check your MAF and N75.

snoopra
November 4th, 2008, 16:32
Mooch, how do you check for a defective N75 valve?

cornishmoocher
November 4th, 2008, 17:24
Well, my car was down on power, (around 480whp) and these little buggers (and the maffs) are famous for failing regularly. Grizz suggested for the sake of £100, just change them, if they have never been changed, chances are it is failing or failed. B5RS4 boys change them yearly!

Changed them, and instantly felt the difference, dyno'd up at 510!

formula1man
November 4th, 2008, 18:25
I just had the R1's put in today. With the Dahlback intake I just put in ($400 thanks to craigs list) I wonder how loud the turbos are going to be now.
Cheers, Aaron.

Boosted-Bora
November 4th, 2008, 21:39
I just had the R1's put in today. With the Dahlback intake I just put in ($400 thanks to craigs list) I wonder how loud the turbos are going to be now.
Cheers, Aaron.

THEY GET MUCH LOUDER TRUST ME.......

You will love it bro:0:

Fonzie Audi
November 4th, 2008, 21:48
Drew - any video on how the turbos sound now?

Does it "whoosh" when you take the foot off the gas?

cornishmoocher
November 4th, 2008, 21:53
Drew - any video on how the turbos sound now?

Does it "whoosh" when you take the foot off the gas?
Thats a dump valve, and only for 17 year olds in their japanese 90hp cars:D

hahnmgh63
November 5th, 2008, 01:30
Is everyone using the standard N75 valve or did they switch to a different model? Some say upgrade to the 'J' valve, 'K', some say the 'H' (race) valve is the best?

Bigglezworth
November 5th, 2008, 03:29
Thanks everyone. Looks like a bit of everything. I think at this time I will be going the route of an OEM i710Ni valve which came stock on the TT 225 1.8T. I am positive my current valves are performing inadequating or are defective as I have extended lag, loss of boost, and sluggish throttle response. The OEM is available locally off the shelf so I can do the swap tonight and this model also handles the additional boost of a chipped car which is important as I'm in the midst of installing a performance tune and want to ensure I'm optimizing all performance benefits.

Tim
Update. Apparently I'm going to be going the route of aftermarket. My local stealer wants $90.00 each for the 710N. For only a few bucks more I can obtain the aftermarkets shipped to my door.

DuckWingDuck
November 5th, 2008, 03:40
what about some of those parts website? Like genuinevwparts.com

snoopra
November 5th, 2008, 15:26
Is everyone using the standard N75 valve or did they switch to a different model? Some say upgrade to the 'J' valve, 'K', some say the 'H' (race) valve is the best?
I was under the impression that these N75 valves almost NEVER breaks. Also, the N75H, or "race" valve, causes excessive surging under boost. N75J seems like the best of both, minimum surge and max boost.

DHall1
November 5th, 2008, 16:18
Tim,

Please post your results when done. I hope this fixes your performance problems.

Good luck

Tim

Boosted-Bora
November 5th, 2008, 16:21

Not so much but you can hear it dump boost when you let off the gas because of the intakes and the video I did a while ago was woth the intakes and diverters but I can make another I guess.

Fonzie Audi
November 5th, 2008, 16:51

.. just making sure. i don't want my RS sounding like a high schooler's SRT-4 or STi

Amulet-S6
November 6th, 2008, 04:34
haven't had a chance to dyno the car since installing. Runs smooth and much stronger than stock. No new noises. Easy to replace and relatively inexpensive way to head off potential problems.

Also, STaSIS seems to have their right rear "thumping" issue resolved. I've been silent for several months now.

Jim
Avis/Black
Kansas City, KS
USA

Skaala
November 7th, 2008, 14:33
Forge Diverters. Fantastic. solid forged kit. a must if you are running extra! a once only retro fit!

I have the anodised black ones.

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=&product=FMCL007P

I have the same Forge 007 on the RS2. Great quality!