PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter relocation

gooseleg
November 1st, 2008, 20:06
I'm thinking of retrofitting a remote filter kit; Has anyone tried one if so what do you think, if not what do you think?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

DuckWingDuck
November 1st, 2008, 20:36
It's a pretty tight engine bay. Why? Trying to redirect some more air for cooling?

gooseleg
November 1st, 2008, 20:39
Trying to avoid paying $175 for an oil change

snoopra
November 1st, 2008, 23:14
I was thinking of adding the oil filter relocator with an auxillary oil cooler, but yeah, space may be an issue.

DHall1
November 2nd, 2008, 00:20
I dont think I want to risk a 40,000 dollar engine on a 200 dollar oil filter relocation kit.

I cant type all the details...but I have a friend with one of the rare Toyota Celica GT4 Alltrac models. He put nearly 20k into engine mods and built up a rally spec engine (even had a TTE mechanic prepare the cylinder head and pistons.) Well, the oil filter is a pain to get to on that car as well...my buddy had the idea to relocate. I told him no. He did it anyway. He put together a nice set of lines, brackets, mounts....5k miles later...one of the lines burst from the heat...oil ran out in 5 seconds. Engine toast. 20k down the drain.

I wont touch the oil filter location. Never have on all my hot rods and never will.

BTW, I too have one of those rare GT4 Celicas. ::thumb: . Its tuned/modded and packed away for a rainy day.

Trying to avoid paying $175 for an oil change

DHall1
November 2nd, 2008, 00:26
As a matter of fact. Here is a pic of my 88 GT4. Not the best lighting but trust me that is factory paint and the whole suspension has the first Whiteline race kit ever produced and shipped to the USA. Under the hood its not stock either. :hahahehe:

ben916
November 2nd, 2008, 04:47
As a matter of fact. Here is a pic of my 88 GT4. Not the best lighting but trust me that is factory paint and the whole suspension has the first Whiteline race kit ever produced and shipped to the USA. Under the hood its not stock either. :hahahehe:

I remember these.... wicked!

peiserg
November 2nd, 2008, 06:00
I dont think I want to risk a 40,000 dollar engine on a 200 dollar oil filter relocation kit.

I cant type all the details...but I have a friend with one of the rare Toyota Celica GT4 Alltrac models. He put nearly 20k into engine mods and built up a rally spec engine (even had a TTE mechanic prepare the cylinder head and pistons.) Well, the oil filter is a pain to get to on that car as well...my buddy had the idea to relocate. I told him no. He did it anyway. He put together a nice set of lines, brackets, mounts....5k miles later...one of the lines burst from the heat...oil ran out in 5 seconds. Engine toast. 20k down the drain.

I wont touch the oil filter location. Never have on all my hot rods and never will.

BTW, I too have one of those rare GT4 Celicas. ::thumb: . Its tuned/modded and packed away for a rainy day.

are you kidding me? You have a toyota celica "packed away for a rainy day"? wow. like the guy on the nsx board with a 1988 prelude with 5000 orig miles, he keeps it under a car cover in his garage... I'd say cause he's an idiot, but he doesn't think so.

snoopra
November 2nd, 2008, 11:52
:applause: :hihi: :jlol: :D remember the '88 Chevy Turbo Sprint?

DHall1
November 2nd, 2008, 14:20
To each his/her own. I put alot of work and tuning into my GT4. That thing was a tank and drove like a bathtub when it was new. But, limited production and WRC rally history gave it the platform to modify. My GT4 has 70k miles and I drove it for several years. I have the garage space and the car has been good to me. As for the Prelude, I am sure that guy has a reason to keep his car as well.

are you kidding me? You have a toyota celica "packed away for a rainy day"? wow. like the guy on the nsx board with a 1988 prelude with 5000 orig miles, he keeps it under a car cover in his garage... I'd say cause he's an idiot, but he doesn't think so.

Aronis
November 3rd, 2008, 01:37
the prelude was a great car. It's engine was first a hand picked regular accord engine but the choose the closer tolerance parts etc to get a few more ponies. It was a very well equipped car, handled great and did not cost a fortune.

Too bad Honda axed it! The S2000 didn't fill the void, nor does the Accord coupe.

Mike

peiserg
November 3rd, 2008, 03:27
well perhaps.... I should let it sneak out that I *also* have a 1975 toyota I have lavished a ridiculous amount of time, money (north of $25,000) and bloody knuckles too......:noshake:

so to each his or her own.

Spidercat
November 4th, 2008, 21:47
Caveat emptor with oil filter relocation kit. No way I would go near it for the RS6 just to save a few bucks for the oil change. I had one on a custom vehicle (shoe-horning a big engine in a small space). The oil filter wouldn't fit, enter oil filter relocation kit.
Oil changes are a snap, but routing the aero-quip lines and hardware, replacing the original seal at the block when it goes bad, finding an appropriate place for the oil filter etc. won't wind up saving you any time/money over the life of the car. Plus, if the mounts break/crack (most are only aluminum), or as above a hose breaks, you'll be hurtin'.
I think some members change their own oil (Aronis?), and it just involves a little extra finesse and loosening one end of the sway bar I think and moving it out of the way.

Aronis
November 5th, 2008, 16:18
Yes, it's not that difficult, the only real issue is the mess, you have to tip the filter toward you to get it out of its "nest.". Letting down the sway bar is easy (four nuts, swings back in place).

Someone else posted that they got their oil filter out via the tire well? But I looked at this a few times and I really don't see how? Perhaps at tire swap time this spring I'll look again! LOL

As with all Audi's the biggest pain in the ()&*)( is the under engine plastic shield with about 12 screws (four in the wheel wells and 8 or 9 on the under side).

It takes about 40 minutes, with most of the time being removing and reinstalling the shield.

I used to change the oil in my M3 in about 12 minutes (the time it takes for the oil to stop dripping out) as the oil filter was very easy to access and the oil drain plug could be reached and accessed without ramps or a jack! Oh well, I guess Audi has an issue with designing cars to be serviced! Kind of surprised the Gas tank fill pipe was not under the suspension too! LOL

Mike