PDA

View Full Version : Audi TT RS specs leak out

artur777
October 30th, 2008, 18:26
Look at the link please.
I don't know if it is a repost, but I didn't meet the information earlier.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/30/audi-tt-rs-specs-leak-out/

340 hp for TT-RS will make this "device" very potent:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

tvrfan
October 30th, 2008, 19:32
2 questions:

- will the TT-RS get DSG for option? when yes, 6 or 7speed?

- will the TT-RS have the sportdiff.???

artur777
October 30th, 2008, 19:59
TT RS will get DSG for option.
TT RS won't have SportDiff due to the platform

SigmaS6
October 30th, 2008, 23:18
TT RS will get DSG for option.
The only question is when. Audi sometimes celebrates the introduction of certain features over what feels like decades to those who wait.

But the good thing is that no current DSG can handle the RS's torque, so it has to be a new development and that means 7 speed.

Rage
November 1st, 2008, 13:26
The only question is when. Audi sometimes celebrates the introduction of certain features over what feels like decades to those who wait.

But the good thing is that no current DSG can handle the RS's torque, so it has to be a new development and that means 7 speed.

How can you be so sure?

SigmaS6
November 1st, 2008, 17:38
If the DQ250 could easily be adapted to more torque they'd done that for the TTS instead of reducing the torque during gear changes.

So I only see a 7speed DSG or none at all, but as the VAG announced the production site for the DQ500 some time ago I think the DSG theory is more likely.

artur777
November 1st, 2008, 19:08
I would like to agree with you but as far as I see new 7sp S-Tronic is suitable for MLP only cars.
And TT is a car with older platform so I am not sure if 7sp S-Tronic suits the car.

May be there will be a 6 sp mechanic at the start and then Audi will think if to start re-engineering of their S-Tronic for TT-RS?

SigmaS6
November 1st, 2008, 20:11
There are two versions of the DSG, one for the longitudinal platform (DLxxx) and one for the transversal platform (DQxxx). The DL500 was out rather early as it covers a wide range of good selling cars. For the transversal platform Audi seems to have more time, probably as they only have two or three models that would benefit from it they coordinate their development with VW on this one. So not sure how their schedule looks like, but I'd still expect to see it.

Leadfoot
November 2nd, 2008, 15:26
There are two versions of the DSG, one for the longitudinal platform (DLxxx) and one for the transversal platform (DQxxx). The DL500 was out rather early as it covers a wide range of good selling cars. For the transversal platform Audi seems to have more time, probably as they only have two or three models that would benefit from it they coordinate their development with VW on this one. So not sure how their schedule looks like, but I'd still expect to see it.

It all depends on whether Audi retain the transverse platform in future A3, TT replacement models. With the talk of R3, R4 and R6 and mid-engined platforms the chances are that Audi may chose to drop the Golf underpinning for a MLP shortened platform.

If true then the need for a hi-powered transverse DSG would not be needed and Audi wouldn't go to the expense of developing a new gearbox just for one model with a life span of 2~3 yrs tops.

P.S.
This is only if the above is true which I don't know either way.

SigmaS6
November 2nd, 2008, 16:12
If true then the need for a hi-powered transverse DSG would not be needed and Audi wouldn't go to the expense of developing a new gearbox just for one model with a life span of 2~3 yrs tops.
In that case I hope they communicate that to the customer, otherwise some people might falsely want to wait for it.

artur777
November 2nd, 2008, 22:11
I think tha Audi may go with TT-RS as it did with RS4 B7.
The model was mechanic only if you remember!
The cost of re-engineering the transmission was too high to implement in in a model with 2-3 years lifespan.

I am sure that Audi will go with MLP platform for their future models as it already did with A4. But that will also mean that Golf will also be based on shortened MPL platform:-) As far as I see this platform is more interesting due to its lowr weight, better modules deployment and weight distribution.

Kliko61
November 3rd, 2008, 23:28
On Audiblog.nl there is a rumor that the TT-RS has a supercharger till +-2400 rpm, and then the turbo takes it over from that point...

The article says that this is the cause of no turbo lag, and the reason for the quick time for the 0-100 km/h

I don't know if its true or not.....Just a rumor. Beneath the link

http://www.audiblog.nl/?p=6870

Leadfoot
November 4th, 2008, 07:51
Kliko61,

I had heard something similar but from my usual channels so chose to ignore it. Maybe there is more to it than first thought. ;)

Kliko61
November 4th, 2008, 12:18
When will the official figures introduced by Audi, do you know that??

artur777
November 4th, 2008, 15:36
To my mind,
we will see Audi TT-RS officially introduced in the summer 2009.
This will be 3-4 months after RS5 introduction.

The idea of combining both supercharger and turboes is an interesting one to think about, but I think that it is hardly implemented in the transversial platform.

Leadfoot, did you sources talk serious about such possibility?

Leadfoot
November 4th, 2008, 16:18
To my mind,
we will see Audi TT-RS officially introduced in the summer 2009.
This will be 3-4 months after RS5 introduction.

The idea of combining both supercharger and turboes is an interesting one to think about, but I think that it is hardly implemented in the transversial platform.

Leadfoot, did you sources talk serious about such possibility?

Sorry I meant to say the info came NOT from my usual channels so I disregarded it. I was told about it some ten months ago (a little while after all those diagrams showed up) and were proven to be fake. Though the idea behind having a turbo+charger is a very good one as it's only slightly heavier than the single turbo itself and like the article said, this would cause little or no turbo lag. It would also benefit economy and CO2 levels, two things that the 'fake' document highlighted about the engine.

I honestly don't know whether to take this as gospel or like I did earlier which was disregard it.

Only time will tell. ;)

Z07
November 6th, 2008, 18:08
That should be quite decent.

Fear your hairdresser.

JavierNuvolari
November 6th, 2008, 18:35

Fear your hairdresser.

Bwahahah....that's so wrong.

Leadfoot
November 9th, 2008, 13:48

Fear your hairdresser.

Sounds like a man who is not comfortable with his own sexuality. :lovl:

Getting back to the car

Now EVO are reporting that the RS4 might use a turbo on the S4 engine to get the extra power needed. More and more reports of combining both forms of forced induction for the next RS models, very interesting. ;)

tvrfan
November 9th, 2008, 18:50
hey leady.

what would you love to see more, a RS4 with bi/twin turbo, or with turbo/kompr.

???

greetz tvrfan

Leadfoot
November 11th, 2008, 07:26
hey leady.

what would you love to see more, a RS4 with bi/twin turbo, or with turbo/kompr.

???

greetz tvrfan

I am a technology nerd, so I would say the kompressor/turbo V6. Best of both worlds, you have to instant torque of the SC with the high power of the turbo, plus mileage should be good too.

The only thing I don't want is to add more weight to the nose, the S4 chassis has shown great potential and with Quattro's input the RS4 could be truly great but only if the front end weight doesn't increase.

Either way it would make a magical motor.

artur777
November 11th, 2008, 10:13
Leadfoot,

what are your expecations about possible Hp and Torque figures of SC/T V6 engine? Also will it be much heavier thanSC V6 in S4? May be V8 TT will of the same weight?

Leadfoot
November 11th, 2008, 11:09
Leadfoot,

what are your expecations about possible Hp and Torque figures of SC/T V6 engine? Also will it be much heavier thanSC V6 in S4? May be V8 TT will of the same weight?

Only Audi could answer these questions. I guess the v6 SC/T would comfortably produce as much as a twin turbo equivalant, so 450~460hp and 400~420Ft/lbs sounds reasonable. I would reckon the S4 engine with turbo+piping and intercooler would add about 20kgs which a lot of extra alloy paneling around the front could offset this.

As for the weight difference between v8TT and v6SC/T I would have thought would be less for the SC/T because of the less pipe work and smaller intercooler/s, at least 20~30kgs less.

Here's a question right back at you. Would it be better to have little or no outright improvement in performance than the old RS4 but with a much better midrange and superior handling or similar handling but with much better performance?

artur777
November 11th, 2008, 11:56
Interesting question...
My personal opinion is that the handling is the key, but in the market everybody compares cars primarily in acceleration. And RS5 will be faster than M3 and C63 as well as RS6 is faster than M5 and E63 AMG.

I am sure that Audi will choose much better acceleration, much better weight balance due to MLP and a little bit better handling

Your opinion?

Kliko61
November 11th, 2008, 14:16
You guys think in the right way, but none of you mentioned one very important issue, and that's the gearing:D:D

The RS6 already shifts really fast as we've seen the video against the CL-60 with 600HP and 1024 Nm.
So if Audi is going to put an automatic transmission in the coming RS4(why not), with even a faster shift-times than the RS6 it will be one great car that also can go sideways with a lot of power!!

Leadfoot
November 11th, 2008, 14:57
Interesting question...
My personal opinion is that the handling is the key, but in the market everybody compares cars primarily in acceleration. And RS5 will be faster than M3 and C63 as well as RS6 is faster than M5 and E63 AMG.

I am sure that Audi will choose much better acceleration, much better weight balance due to MLP and a little bit better handling

Your opinion?

What do I think.

Well I reckon everyone will get a serious shock when the next RS4 hits the streets. The handling will have been taken to another level, well above that of the old car and the new M3. I don't expect the lunacy powerslides that the R8 can do, that sort of thing might work in a sportscar but wouldn't follow Audi's normal policy of safety. No what I am expecting is more of what the new S4 is capable of with extra grip, even more steering feel, better brakes, better directional change and of course a bigger dose of power and aggression.

This will be a car which will break the 8 minute barrier.

artur777
November 11th, 2008, 21:26
Leadfoot,

due to your opinion C63 will be faster?

Rage
November 11th, 2008, 21:35
What do I think.

Well I reckon everyone will get a serious shock when the next RS4 hits the streets. The handling will have been taken to another level, well above that of the old car and the new M3. I don't expect the lunacy powerslides that the R8 can do, that sort of thing might work in a sportscar but wouldn't follow Audi's normal policy of safety. No what I am expecting is more of what the new S4 is capable of with extra grip, even more steering feel, better brakes, better directional change and of course a bigger dose of power and aggression.

This will be a car which will break the 8 minute barrier.

Surely the RS5 will be quicker/handle better?:revs:

Leadfoot
November 11th, 2008, 22:36
Leadfoot,

due to your opinion C63 will be faster?

Unsure about that, the RS5 should still best the big Merc but not by that big of a margin.