PDA

View Full Version : make my RS6 tranmsission shift faster..possible??

vangelis
October 28th, 2008, 09:41
Guys, is it possible to make my :addict: tranmsission shift faster?? my car is already ABT tunned and I believe they've done ECU & TCU tunning (not sure dunno how to double check this,, as I got it second hand car).

snoopra
October 28th, 2008, 12:39
IPT (Import Performance Transmissions) is the US, New Jersey to be exact, does a valve body kit that would decrease the time between shifts.
ipttrans.com

DuckWingDuck
October 28th, 2008, 14:52
well, ya, obviously new transmission would go a little way to resolving this but TCU remapping is probably a more cost effective way. I have no clue how to verify though. visual inspection?

snoopra
October 28th, 2008, 16:15
Not a new transmission, just the valve body. Cost about $700USD.

Hy Octane
October 28th, 2008, 16:32
The chip responsible for shift times is located inside the tranny, not the TCU. It is not programmable from the outside.. Euro RS6's shift more like Porsches.. quicker and firmer with less slip.
They were detuned for the US market.

snoopra
October 28th, 2008, 22:05
The chip responsible for shift times is located inside the tranny, not the TCU. It is not programmable from the outside.. Euro RS6's shift more like Porsches.. quicker and firmer with less slip.
Yeah, what he said!:D hense the need to "modify" the valve body gaskets and circuit board.

Innovator
November 17th, 2009, 15:07

That is not true. All of the transmissions functions are controlled by the TCU. All the transmission has inside are solenoids, which are controlled by the TCU.

DHall1
November 17th, 2009, 15:25
^^

Correct. Solenoids are dumb. Solenoids only do what they are told to do. Solenoids are in the valve dody. TCU is the brains of the bunch.

That said, what do you do to the valve body in your trans upgrade? (innovator) Your doing p3u's trans? right?

That is not true. All of the transmissions functions are controlled by the TCU. All the transmission has inside are solenoids, which are controlled by the TCU.

Innovator
November 17th, 2009, 16:02
^^

Correct. Solenoids are dumb. Solenoids only do what they are told to do. Solenoids are in the valve dody. TCU is the brains of the bunch.

That said, what do you do to the valve body in your trans upgrade? (innovator) Your doing p3u's trans? right?

Don't undersand P3u..

I am having IPT rebuild the TC and the VB with some performance tweaks that increase line pressure and speed shifts with more clamping force, and a slightly higher stall speed. They sat the use a Kevlar disc and better internal seals in the TC and that it will NEVER fail again... We'll see... Keep in mind, I am not rebuilding the transmission itself at this time.

Ty, whom I am dealing with there says that fully rebuilt, the trans can handle over 700-800 ft/lbs all day. HP is not the issue, torque is what kills...

DHall1
November 17th, 2009, 16:16
Sorry,

I was confused for a second. I thought you were the guy rebuilding p3u's trans. Doh

I think more and more of us are leaning to IPT for trans work. The only problem for me is distance. I could not be any farther from them in AZ. Geez

I could however, send them my valve body.

Please update on the work and tell IPT we are looking their direction.

Don't undersand P3u..

I am having IPT rebuild the TC and the VB with some performance tweaks that increase line pressure and speed shifts with more clamping force, and a slightly higher stall speed. They sat the use a Kevlar disc and better internal seals in the TC and that it will NEVER fail again... We'll see... Keep in mind, I am not rebuilding the transmission itself at this time.

Ty, whom I am dealing with there says that fully rebuilt, the trans can handle over 700-800 ft/lbs all day. HP is not the issue, torque is what kills...

ben916
November 17th, 2009, 19:14
I could not be any farther from them in AZ. Geez

Sure about that (at least continental US, not Sapporo, JP)????

dmross
November 17th, 2009, 19:17
Just to add to the discussion, my car is at IPT right now getting a full trans rebuild. I already have the MTM TCU upgrade so I'm hoping it will play well with the valve body modifications. Will report back in 2 weeks when I go to pick up the car. :)

Innovator
November 17th, 2009, 19:30
Just to add to the discussion, my car is at IPT right now getting a full trans rebuild. I already have the MTM TCU upgrade so I'm hoping it will play well with the valve body modifications. Will report back in 2 weeks when I go to pick up the car. :) Did your brother drive the car over last night?

dmross
November 17th, 2009, 21:56
Did your brother drive the car over last night?

Yes he did, from Pittsburgh. Did you meet him? :)

Innovator
November 17th, 2009, 22:48
Yes he did, from Pittsburgh. Did you meet him? :)

Yes I did, nice guy... You have a real nice car. It looks exactly like mine, aside from the wheels. I have 44K you have 24K with some nice goodies. I'm sure the transmission rebuild will allow you to use them without much worry.

Rick

Amulet-S6
November 18th, 2009, 00:20
Don't undersand P3u..

I spoke with Ty at IPT yesterday and got nearly identical information... except he did NOT mention it Would Never Fail. Valve Body (VB) upgrade/re-work is $779 and the Torque Converter (TC) upgrade/re-work is $695 US. In both cases, they use the parts from your car, not a new part; usually a 3 day turn-around. The torque converter upgrade "uses higher quality friction materials" and they "increase the number of clutches for better holding under load."

He has two rs6 transmissions in the shop for rebuild along with three torque converters. MaxRS6's tranny and TC are there. Full tranny rebuild is ~$4650 and includes the VB work. Details & pictures on their website.

I'm having intermittant TC issues and planning on having the TC and VB done after I hear a little feedback from this forum.

Jim RS - Avus/Black
Kansas, USA

p3u
November 18th, 2009, 06:05
^^

I'm having tozoM8 rebuild my tranny and dynamics rebuild the transmission, he is a well known audi zf tranny builder from audiworld/quattroworld. Car should be done tomorrow and after a few days of testing will be shipped back home! Ill let you guys know how it goesAlso, the cause of the tranny slipping was from a cracked oil line, causing reduced pressure on the clutch packs, causing them to slip and wear out. Apparently this is a common problem in the hp24, maybe more people are having this happen and causing the trannies to fail.

hahnmgh63
November 18th, 2009, 06:21
p3u, is the line internal to the tranny or external? If it is external, did you notice any fluid leaking?

p3u
November 18th, 2009, 06:28
p3u, is the line internal to the tranny or external? If it is external, did you notice any fluid leaking?

The tube that cracked is internal to the transmission, it is the one responsible for providing pressure to clutch packs A and D, which from what I understand put pressure on the clutches for 1,2,3, and 4.

kwtrev
November 18th, 2009, 12:35
I read post a while back from Paul Waterloo entitled "Coding th A8 transmission", about using VAGCOM to alter the settings of the transmission in an S8, changing from a setting of 0002 (old man style, he referred to it) to 0032, or 1032. Anyone know this post? Is that effective (or even doable) in the RS6?

kwtrev

hahnmgh63
November 18th, 2009, 16:41
I tried it and it doesn't seem to work in our transmission. My transmission ended up shifting strangely and I swapped back to the stock coding. Not sure if it had anything to do with my MTM TCU chip but when I did mine someone else on the list was going to try it also.

vangelis
November 18th, 2009, 20:12
The tube that cracked is internal to the transmission, it is the one responsible for providing pressure to clutch packs A and D, which from what I understand put pressure on the clutches for 1,2,3, and 4.

So, in this case, is rebuild TC & VB does not help???

650RS
November 18th, 2009, 20:47
I have a upgraded VB with a MTM TCU chip and I can tell you it shifts crisper at WOT.

With a tighter converter with less slip it will ship crisper again.....

Amulet-S6
November 18th, 2009, 23:52
I read post a while back from Paul Waterloo entitled "Coding th A8 transmission", about using VAGCOM to alter the settings of the transmission in an S8, changing from a setting of 0002 (old man style, he referred to it) to 0032, or 1032. Anyone know this post? Is that effective (or even doable) in the RS6?

kwtrev

I did the 00032 tranny recode in both my a6 4.2 & s6 avant. Doesn't seem to work in the rs6.

Amulet-S6
November 18th, 2009, 23:55

kwtrev

I did 00032 recode that in both my a6 4.2 & s6 avant. Doesn't seem to work in the rs6. Had more to do with holding 1st gear in TIP, than speed of shifts.

V8weight
November 19th, 2009, 00:04
I did the 0032 soft coding in my RS6 as well. It hated it. It insisted on shifting below 2000rpm rather than the normal 3000rpm and held higher gears while de-accelerating and refused to kick down.

bfly
November 19th, 2009, 14:46
Is the stock coding for a US RS6 different than that of a EU RS6?

vangelis
November 19th, 2009, 16:07
so, in this case, is rebuild tc & vb does not help???

bump????