PDA

View Full Version : Brake Problem

chairman2300
October 27th, 2008, 14:49
Does anyone else have a plroblem with your brakes skweaking at low speeds(coming to a complete stop and constantly in traffic)? I brought it in to Audi and they tell me "It is a high performance car with high performance brakes, that just happens. Powerwash your wheels every couple days to remove brake dust." It sounds like they dont want to deal with my problem.

Rupert
October 27th, 2008, 15:26
Try doing some HARD high speed stops (100mph). This may cure it for a while.

Mine squealed a lot with the original solid discs, but I've had a new set of drilled discs for 10k miles with no noise.

chairman2300
October 27th, 2008, 15:39
i have tried that. it did stop momentarily but continued. i have tried many different situations but still persist. it doesnt matter if outside temp is hot or cold or if discs are hot or cold. this bothers me GREATLY!

Rupert
October 27th, 2008, 18:07
It was quite embarrasing for me too, to the point that I was knocking the car into neutral when approaching a stop in a populated area!
That helps enormously, but it's far from ideal.

chairman2300
October 27th, 2008, 18:15
the reason i question what Audi told me is i know 2 other RS6 owners with no problems.

DuckWingDuck
October 27th, 2008, 19:04
oem brakes do squeal. My friend's E55 squeals much more than mine. Some people say the pagid pads don't squeal as much.

hahnmgh63
October 28th, 2008, 01:39
I'm real happy with the EBC pads, they are quieter, cheaper, dust less, and better with wear and heat than the OEM pads.

DuckWingDuck
October 28th, 2008, 03:57
ya, i think there are many who love ebc brakestuff too!

http://performance.thepartsbin.com/basket.php?brandid=4074&partid=12&makeid=34&modelid=708&year=2003

Seems to be the best price?

Bigglezworth
October 28th, 2008, 13:00
Emarrassing is an understatement. New brakes 5K ago and they grind and squeal to death. Built for high speed and high heat I guess. I'd like to get the yellow EBC. Not professingn to be the smartest guy out there, but when you order a "set" of pads, do you need to order two in order to fit out the front of the beast? $130 for a set? 8 pads?

Tim

DuckWingDuck
October 28th, 2008, 14:50
tim, I HAVE THE SAME QUESTION!! I think you need 2 sets each of the front and back. Each "set" that you buy off the website is probably for 1 wheel...

Bigglezworth
October 28th, 2008, 15:17
Kind of absurd from a marketing perspective. You don't purchase brakes per wheel. You purchase a set for either front or rear (or both together). I asked about our rides because it's one of the exremely limited situation in which you have brake calipers with so many pistons and pad surface that additional units come into the equation. A 'set' of pads for the RS6 'should' be a box with 8 pads inside. You simply shouldn't see them sold as 4 to a box unless the exact pad is used on a smaller caliper somewhere in the Audi line-up. I do know I will find out soon. :)

Tim

crispix
October 28th, 2008, 15:22
I had my brakes power washed and the squealing was much better.

Audi told me the OEM pads have a high metal content which causes the squeaks.

I do notice as I run through the pads it changes. Sometimes better and sometimes worse..

crispix

BLITZEN
October 28th, 2008, 18:21
Chairman, what year is your RS6? Do you know what pads are on it? And are your rotors in perfect shape?

My brakes don't squeal until I'm down to the wear indicators, and I just use all OEM stuff. The guy who sells the Pagid pads told me that for city driving I would hate the Yellows (they would squeal like a pig he said). So for track only I guess.

mmaturo
October 28th, 2008, 19:28
Emarrassing is an understatement. New brakes 5K ago and they grind and squeal to death. Built for high speed and high heat I guess. I'd like to get the yellow EBC. Not professingn to be the smartest guy out there, but when you order a "set" of pads, do you need to order two in order to fit out the front of the beast? $130 for a set? 8 pads?

Tim

I've bought several sets of the EBC yellows (for track use)...one set at $130 is a full set for both front brakes. Great deal, work well and squeal less. My OEMS i have on now are squealing pretty badly, some sets are better than others. I've learned to live with it.

hahnmgh63
October 29th, 2008, 00:45
As mmaturo said, a set of front pads from EBC includes all 8 pads, actually it is two boxes of 4(probably some application out there that uses these pads also but only 4 of them). I use the Yellows on the track then switch back to the Reds for the street without squealing with either. If you swap pads, number them so you get them back in the same position each time so they are bedded properly. MGH

chairman2300
October 29th, 2008, 16:33
It is a 2003. i dont know which pads are on, but assume OEM from what Audi conveyed to me. I am told, also by Audi, the rotors are in fine shape.

I agree that much noise would indicate a need for new pads or rotors or even both. thats why i question when Audi tells me everything is just fine. After hearing from the group, this seems to be a "normal issue"

s42ski
October 29th, 2008, 22:14
One thing I found that helps is when I wash the car I use a high pressure setting and try and clear out the holes in the discs. They get filled with dust from one week of driving. That seems to help the brake noise issues.

vangelis
October 30th, 2008, 06:36
As mmaturo said, a set of front pads from EBC includes all 8 pads, actually it is two boxes of 4(probably some application out there that uses these pads also but only 4 of them). I use the Yellows on the track then switch back to the Reds for the street without squealing with either. If you swap pads, number them so you get them back in the same position each time so they are bedded properly. MGH

Why you need to switch back the yellow pads (which they telling you can use them on both track & street) back to the reds?

hahnmgh63
October 30th, 2008, 22:35
You don't have to but the Yellows are a little more temp sensitive (track/heat oriented). If you are looking for a pad that is better all around than OEM then the Red's are the best. Less cost, less dust, less noise, and equal or better in performance.

JCT2033
October 31st, 2008, 04:43
I had my front brake pads and rotors replaced at a local audi dealer. They showed me that the oem/audi pads are made by Pagid. If that's the case, which Pagid pad is our oem pad
equivalent to?

Jani
October 31st, 2008, 06:48
The squeeling usually occurs with new brakes. I had my brake discs and pads changed in all 4 corners recently, (MY2004 Plus = perforated discs) and it started squeeling slightly in slow speed.

It is not so much to do with pads, even less with power washing, it is the lack of bedding in.

Quick google:
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedintheory.shtml
http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

BLITZEN
October 31st, 2008, 18:12
I had my front brake pads and rotors replaced at a local audi dealer. They showed me that the oem/audi pads are made by Pagid. If that's the case, which Pagid pad is our oem pad
equivalent to?

The Pagid Blues. But you'll pay a lot more for that Pagid name. If you want OEM, look for a recent thread about Brake Part numbers. There's a website in that thread where you can go and get the exact parts shipped in Audi boxes for a lot less coin.