PDA

View Full Version : VAG COM code 17861

gooseleg
October 26th, 2008, 23:05
I just ran a scan and I came up with this code, the car is going to Audi on Tuesday for the KW install, should I be concern about the code if so how much should I expect to pay for the EGT?

Address 01: Engine
Control Module Part Number: 4D1 907 558 D
Component and/or Version: 4.2l V8/5VT G 0003
Software Coding: 0006752
Work Shop Code: WSC 02195
1 Fault Found:
17861 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor 1 (G235): Open or Short to Plus
P1453 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded
Readiness: 0110 1101

mik15
March 9th, 2012, 18:14
i know it's an old thread, but i didn't want to open another one....i have now a VAG-COM so did a scan today and i've got the same error code, cleaned it up but it keeps on coming back, where is this sensor located, how can it be changed, what malfunction could this lead to? I believe there are 2 exhaust gas temperature sensors, one on each bank, one of them reads 370C but the faulty one shows 1110C, so it must dead....

besides this code got also the one with the TC, no surprise here :), cleaned it up and didn't come back, for how long we'll see....for now at least i don't feel any slipping from the gearbox, seems to be working ok, anyway will probably look into buying a TC and have it ACE'd...

TozoM8
March 9th, 2012, 22:16
They are on the exhaust side of the turbos, right above the wastegate.

ttboost
March 10th, 2012, 00:49
Yep, as Tozo says, EGT sensors are on the manifold right at the turbo. The other ends are stacked together on the firewall in front of the drivers side. Usually a brownish case with stainless covered wires.
Also, If you already have the dreaded 17125 code, stop driving your car and get the TC replaced ASAP. It will probably save your transmission. If you continue to drive it and eventually set a CEL, it might be too late and you might need trans work...just my .02...

mik15
March 10th, 2012, 06:44
can the EGT be changed without removing the engine?
regarding the TC i will have to see if the code is coming back, if you know someone who has an old TC please let me know as i am interested in buying it and have it shipped to ACE, cause if i take mine off the car it will take weeks to get it done and i don't wanna wait that long..

ttboost
March 10th, 2012, 12:10
I think you can get to the EGT's pretty easy if you slide the exhaust clamos over and pull the downpipes down a little and reach up? Or go from the side through the wheel well..haven't done any yet...
Most people sell a stock TC for around $200 +shipping...have them ship right to Ace, not you...save on shipping that way too....keep an eye out...good luck...

V8weight
March 12th, 2012, 02:46
I think you can get to the EGT's pretty easy if you slide the exhaust clamos over and pull the downpipes down a little and reach up? Or go from the side through the wheel well..haven't done any yet...
Most people sell a stock TC for around $200 +shipping...have them ship right to Ace, not you...save on shipping that way too....keep an eye out...good luck...
Ya, the egt sensors are easily replaced with the engine lowered a few inches with a transverse bar... No need to remove the downpipes...