View Full Version : Autocar in the new S4

Michaël Barbé
October 21st, 2008, 20:25
http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Audi-A4-S4/235475/
MB
:rs6kiss:

Leadfoot
October 22nd, 2008, 13:21
This and the CAR review both show that Audi has listen to their critics and addressed both it's steering feel and it's dynamics. The old S4 was a good handling car anyway, remember how it hammered the E46 M3 in Topgear.

Also I remember having a conversation with a fellow member about the merits of torque vectoring and his comments were that the car would be less predictable and provide less confidence when pushed which I disagreed with.

Looks like my belief proved to be the right one after all if these reviews are to be believed.

Great result Audi. This is a car which on everything but outright performance could be compared against the old RS4, new M3 and C63 without being feeling second best.

Now just imagine adding another 110+hp, DRCIII, better dynamics, better steering feel and a meaner bodykit......... that has to be the RS4 then. :bow:

Leadfoot
October 22nd, 2008, 13:25
Does anyone know when these goodies are going to be offered with the S5?

RXBG
October 22nd, 2008, 15:15

probably the 2010 MY. i hear the 09 MY production is short- 2010 prod may start Q2 2010.

kju
October 23rd, 2008, 11:07
Iam so horny about the New rs4!

The RS6
October 26th, 2008, 22:26
AutoWeeK: Audi S4: You won't miss those two cylinders

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081023/FREE/810239986/1005/VEHICLEREVIEWS

Ruergard
October 27th, 2008, 08:12
Well, seems to me that Audi has done it again... :bow:

Qisha
October 28th, 2008, 08:35

Dear Leadfoot,

the S-tronic is orderable in the A5, 2.0 TFSI quattro, since CW41. The 3.0 TDi as well as the S5 will follow scheduled for 2nd quarter 2009.

You might be interested in the updated Pricelist:

http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/product/a5.Par.0003.File.pdf

Qisha

roadrunner
October 28th, 2008, 08:41
Another great review:

It's all so balanced, so neutral and controllable that every corner on my four lap stint is taken with varying degrees of opposite lock. I'd expect such playfulness in a rear-wheel drive BMW 3 Series or a Mercedes-Benz C-Class but not a four-wheel drive Audi. Not even an S-badged one.

Audi has been threatening to build a proper, involving driver's car for a while now and - with a few notable exceptions such as the RS4 and R8 - it has failed. With the S4 it has finally succeeded: Audi's A4 performance flagship blends all the 'I want' style, build and classy appeal of the rest of the A4 range with a shot of driving adrenaline and sporting ability that makes the S4 a brilliant all-rounder. It's not just a good fast Audi, but a real contender in its class for top honours. With the S4 this good the next RS4 (which Audi is still officially denying) should be absolutely sensational.

More here: http://www.carenthusiast.com/reviews.html?mode=article&id=3067

Really look forward to my 1st chance of driving it.

Leadfoot
October 28th, 2008, 10:45
Does anyone want to speculate as to what lap time this baby will do on the ring.

I'll start the debate at 8:18.

The RS6
October 28th, 2008, 10:56
Does anyone want to speculate as to what lap time this baby will do on the ring.

I'll start the debate at 8:18.

12 seconds faster than TT-S? I don't think so... :vhmmm:

Leadfoot
October 28th, 2008, 11:55
12 seconds faster than TT-S? I don't think so... :vhmmm:

OK, look at it another way. 8 seconds quicker than an S5. ;)

Now this estimate is for a fully load S4 with all the goodies, S/Tronic and Quattro3 and adaptive suspension, not a plain vanilla model.

artur777
October 28th, 2008, 14:05
8:22 is my prediction.
8:18 - too optimistic for V6 SC engine due to lack of power at highs.

S5 will win 2 secs due to the engine and aerodynamics and will lose 6 secs due to handling & transmission issues!

KresoF1, what are your expectations?

Leadfoot
October 28th, 2008, 14:42
8:22 is my prediction.
8:18 - too optimistic for V6 SC engine due to lack of power at highs.

S5 will win 2 secs due to the engine and aerodynamics and will lose 6 secs due to handling & transmission issues!

KresoF1, what are your expectations?

If you are being purely scientific on us then I disagree. The 2 secs you believe that the S5 will gain due to engine and aerodynamics are wrong, the gearbox and better exit corner speed should cancel this out and the only straight long enough to give a possible advantage to the S5 will only be about 8km/h (5mph) peak speed or about 0.5s, every other straight I believe the S4 will be marginally quicker.

In the corner I think 6 secs is a little bit pessimistic, I still think between cornering speed and it's superior exit speed it might just surprise you with a 8:18. ;)