PDA

View Full Version : Best Rubber for RS6

spgprivate
October 18th, 2008, 17:11
Hi,

Time to replace the Continentals on the rear with some new tread ? whats the recommended rubber for the RS6 given power/weight ?

Continentals on front still with 7mm left so dont want to swap them just now.

Simon:addict: :rs6kiss:

KfabR8
October 18th, 2008, 17:21
You have to ask? (not trying to be a smart ass - does sound like it. Sorry.)

Michelin PS2s, of course!
Second would be Bridgestone Pole Positions.
Somewhere on down the line maybe bricks, er, Pirellis.
Last on the list would be the dreaded p.o.s. Dunflops - why even bother???

grizz
October 18th, 2008, 18:05
I'm on my second set of Goodyear asymmetrics , They are cheaper than Mitch ps2's but on a par .

Boosted-Bora
October 18th, 2008, 23:48
PS2 for me

DuckWingDuck
October 19th, 2008, 01:53
Ya, have heard good things about goodyears.

Aronis
October 19th, 2008, 01:55
will be getting my second set of PS2s in the spring. These tires hold up much better than the Dunlops. I'm down in the tread bars on all four and no side wall issues like my Dunlops had (with tread left to boot).

Have to specify the extra load though as Tire Rack for some reason no longer lists PS2 for RS6.

Mike

Bigglezworth
October 19th, 2008, 04:14
I'm a fan of the Bridgestone Pole Positions.

MikeL01
October 19th, 2008, 15:36
Don't over look the Goodyear F1 All-Seasons. They are great dry and wet and have a 99xl rating for our heavy cars.

Aronis
October 19th, 2008, 15:57
Don't over look the Goodyear F1 All-Seasons. They are great dry and wet and have a 99xl rating for our heavy cars.

Hey, I was toying with going "all season", better tread life? Cheaper?

Mike

mmaturo
October 19th, 2008, 22:41
PS2s here. Well into second set. Excellent wet dry and turns.

Copper
October 20th, 2008, 16:29
Michelin PS2s, of course!

Full stop.

spgprivate
October 20th, 2008, 19:32
Thanks. PS2s it is then ! Suspected these would be one of the best but wanted to be sure I hadnt missed something. Now to get the best deal !

Si

Boosted-Bora
October 20th, 2008, 20:08
MAKE SURE THEY ARE XL rated

Copper
October 21st, 2008, 18:46
Durex! Oh wait what rubber are we talking abut again?

Yeah, make sure you price the XL rated PS2s. Damn that sounded dirty too.

Boston Driver
October 21st, 2008, 21:27
I loved my PS2s, but they only lasted about 1.5 seasons...down to the wear bars already! Considering the cost of the PS2s, I might look at different alternatives this time around. Great tires, but they just don't last.

DuckWingDuck
October 21st, 2008, 21:41
I want to go back to the original post, spgprivate mentioned that his rears were out. As I understand it, in an all-wheel drive scenario, don't you replace all four tires at the same time?

DuckWingDuck
October 21st, 2008, 21:42
I loved my PS2s, but they only lasted about 1.5 seasons...down to the wear bars already! Considering the cost of the PS2s, I might look at different alternatives this time around. Great tires, but they just don't last.

As mentioned above, I recommend the Bridgestones. But I don't think they're that much cheaper than the PS2s though... I think best value for money are the Goodyears that Griizz is running (I think.)

Roger
October 22nd, 2008, 03:22
I use my RS6 as my winter daily driver, I use Pilot Sport A/S and love them...I've never beem stuck in the snow and have driven past SUV's having problems getting up hills. In the dry and wet they are also better then the OEM's. I had the same tires on my S4 and can't say emough good things about them.

spgprivate
October 22nd, 2008, 11:47
I want to go back to the original post, spgprivate mentioned that his rears were out. As I understand it, in an all-wheel drive scenario, don't you replace all four tires at the same time?

Problem is the fronts have 7mm left each. The previous owner has replaced rear 2 and not all 4 I suspect. Ideally like to replace all 4 Contis but thought of ditching2 good tyre is painfull.

Simon

mmaturo
October 22nd, 2008, 19:18

You just need to keep the rears matched and the fronts matched (wear and brand/type). All four not necessary but so far all four seem to go anyway for me at the same time with reasonable rotation.