PDA

View Full Version : RS6 3" Cat-Back exhaust

formula1man
October 17th, 2008, 21:11
Hey to all RS6 owners! :mech:If there is a member who resides in the Southern California area, LaBree Motorsports is looking to have a car for a couple of days to prototype a 3" Cat-Back system. This would greatly help out other owners as well as they would then sell it to all interested. 1-800-947-0199. Anyone else should check out the downpipes on their site:
www.labreemotorsports.com . I paid $1749 + shipping for some awesome pipes with test cats. Thanks and happy motoring!:R8kiss:

grizz
October 17th, 2008, 23:25
Sorry mate but i don't think much to the down pipes , They cant bee good for flow ..

cornishmoocher
October 18th, 2008, 01:11
http://www.labreemotorsports.com/images/Products/VW/rs6_downpipe_t.JPG (http://www.labreemotorsports.com/images/Products/VW/rs6_downpipe.JPG) :vhmmm:

snoopra
October 18th, 2008, 01:11
Sorry mate but i don't think much to the down pipes , They cant bee good for flow ..
Grizz, elaborate on flow issues because I'm just about to order a set of these D/P's. They also told me our OEM exhaust were built very well, other than the D/P's.

snoopra
October 18th, 2008, 01:13
http://www.labreemotorsports.com/images/Products/VW/rs6_downpipe_t.JPG (http://www.labreemotorsports.com/images/Products/VW/rs6_downpipe.JPG) :vhmmm:
The site listed these as prototypes, so I'm guessing finals would flow better?

cornishmoocher
October 18th, 2008, 01:20
I think that with the pipes bieng split like that the flow is going to be much more restricted as it is being forced down 2 smaller tubes rather than one larger bore, thus creating more resistance.

I am sure Grizz will put it better!

I was shocked when I saw the manifold off one of the rs6's yesterday at grizz's place, believe me, you do not want to restrict the flow anymore than required.

Just had mine completely de catted, the difference from pre cat removal to no cats is awsome.....Have you ever seen a cat out of one of these things? unreal- no wonder they cant breath.

My advice, save your money and get the cats out- or ask grizz about a set of milltek downpipes= cheaper than you think! (and 3")

Cheers Snoop!

cornishmoocher
October 18th, 2008, 01:29
The site listed these as prototypes, so I'm guessing finals would flow better?
Do you want YOUR car to be used for R & D????? I wouldn't.........

snoopra
October 18th, 2008, 01:33
I think that with the pipes bieng split like that the flow is going to be much more restricted as it is being forced down 2 smaller tubes rather than one larger bore, thus creating more resistance.

I am sure Grizz will put it better!

I was shocked when I saw the manifold off one of the rs6's yesterday at grizz's place, believe me, you do not want to restrict the flow anymore than required.

Just had mine completely de catted, the difference from pre cat removal to no cats is awsome.....Have you ever seen a cat out of one of these things? unreal- no wonder they cant breath.

My advice, save your money and get the cats out- or ask grizz about a set of milltek downpipes= cheaper than you think! (and 3")

Cheers Snoop!
Will do Mooch. May just do a total de-cat (X4) and remove the mid-mufflers:dig:

snoopra
October 18th, 2008, 01:38
Do you want YOUR car to be used for R & D????? I wouldn't.........
Can't, I'm on the other side of the US! Most Eastern part of the US, to be exact. We have a monument to prove it!:jlol:
Oh, and we're doing OK considering Hurricane Omar just ripped us a new a-hole acouple days ago.:vgrumpy:

cornishmoocher
October 18th, 2008, 02:13
long season this year snoop/ hope your all ok. This how I keep up with the hurricane stuff http://hurricane.terrapin.com/

The cat option is a good one. Thats what I have done. turbo and mid (main) cats gutted and a non res milltek. sounds awsome man....

snoopra
October 18th, 2008, 02:23
long season this year snoop/ hope your all ok. This how I keep up with the hurricane stuff http://hurricane.terrapin.com/

The cat option is a good one. Thats what I have done. turbo and mid (main) cats gutted and a non res milltek. sounds awsome man....
Thanks, we're OK. Mostly trees and poles down due to excessive rain in previous weeks. Did you gut your D/P's or install custom D/P's?

cornishmoocher
October 18th, 2008, 02:41
Good news.

Gutted the dp's, well grizz did! Then took an angle grinder to the mains, cut the heatsheild off then zipped along the sides and around the edges and levered them oth out. welded up and hey presto no more cats!

grizz
October 18th, 2008, 07:55
Pm's sent ...

Those dp's must be restrictive , they don't allow a decent flow out of the turbo.
My guess is they don't have the ability to manufacture the the large front section so they use the small pipes.

DuckWingDuck
October 18th, 2008, 08:03
Hy Octane has a set from labree and he very much enjoys them. They do sound quite amazing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_GYHpj8cT0

Maybe I'll give them a call...

formula1man
October 19th, 2008, 01:25
When I spoke with the Labree exhaust person who makes them, he does have the capability doing mandrel bends and thus can make most sizes. He stated that he was trying to make a performance exhaust that would not create back pressure, but looking at them, I do see what you mean. I am going to try them out since I have them already and hopefully they will do allright with the Dahlback intake I bought off another owner for $400.00.
Thanks for the advice and if the don't perform, I will go with Milltek. By the way, does anyone know where I can find a good source for the removal of the downpipes? My Bentley manual (crap) suprisingly (yeah right) does not cover it. Thanks for all the helpful advise!:addict:

Boosted-Bora
October 20th, 2008, 00:56
I have a stupid question (grizz) is it a must to pull the motor to get to the DP's as when I am looking at it I am overwhelmed....A friend of mine who is a fabricator and owns a shop local to me was going to make me 3" catless DP's but I was curious what I am getting him into.

cornishmoocher
October 20th, 2008, 07:10
Grizz can change the dp's without the engine coming out. I wouldn't like to try it tho, def for someone who knows what they are doing!

grizz
October 20th, 2008, 08:01
They can be changed , make sure you have new gaskets , nuts & studs.

Boosted-Bora
October 20th, 2008, 14:52
how many hours should I expect to pay to have the DP's done I was quoted

12.0 hours at $110.00 so I felt like I was being ripped off

formula1man
October 20th, 2008, 16:06
So...where can I obtain some Miltek exhaust for a reasonable price if I end up going that route? Thanks in advance, Aaron.

Boosted-Bora
October 20th, 2008, 16:08
So...where can I obtain some Miltek exhaust for a reasonable price if I end up going that route? Thanks in advance, Aaron.

If you need a Milltek let me know as I have 2 in stock at the moment

formula1man
October 20th, 2008, 17:23
Just a thought, if I remove the cats (and will try to reach the pre-cats) use the portions of the LaBree system past the "headers" and hook this to the Milltek exhaust (thanks Big Drew I will be calling you) would this suffice?
Thanks again, Aaron.

Boosted-Bora
October 20th, 2008, 20:08
yes as long as the labree has the same diameter piping as the stock where it meets the catback then the milltek will work just fine with it

chairman2300
October 21st, 2008, 02:36
bora

which milltek do you have?(resonated or non) how much do you want for it?

cornishmoocher
October 21st, 2008, 12:42
how many hours should I expect to pay to have the DP's done I was quoted

12.0 hours at $110.00 so I felt like I was being ripped off

Grizz did mine, and a service and fitted the milltek and the rear brakes in 6 hours!

Boosted-Bora
October 21st, 2008, 13:19
bora

which milltek do you have?(resonated or non) how much do you want for it?

I have one of both right now call me for details

1-(877)5REVISION