PDA

View Full Version : Considering adding an S8 for my CO home. Any thoughts?

CornersWell
October 15th, 2008, 03:12
Anyone have any positives or negatives?

TIA,

CW

jbtexas
October 15th, 2008, 03:27
Kind of a broad question, but here are my biases about the S8:

-if you need tons of room (the trunk is bigger than my first apartment)
- if you want a MB type cruiser, but with a more sport, character, AWD, better design, etc.
- personally, I have always questioned why someone would buy an S8 instead of an S6, which I think is probably every bit the experience in most ways (performance, gadgetry, AWD, interior space, etc)

ps. I love all S/RS Audis, and I think that there are very cool things about the S8 (aluminum space frame, exterior lines, big wheels, B&O, etc.)...so no offense meant here to S8 owners, I love that car too!

CornersWell
October 15th, 2008, 04:11
Perhaps too broad. I have an '04 E320 4matic that's probably time to consider doing something about. I love my RS6 back East, but I'm thinking of something less ultra-performance and more of a highway car as the roads out here tend to be straighter and longer. It's got the size, as you say, and it's a superb car. I'm considering an S6 and an S6 Avant (but Audi doesn't seem to be offering them in the current lineup), too.

I've got a Stradale as the "fun" car, but I'm looking for something that can do airport runs without blinking.

Thanks, JB.

CW

DuckWingDuck
October 15th, 2008, 04:49
S8 W12 is AWESOME.

DHall1
October 15th, 2008, 06:22
As a member with more than one house and a place here in Colorado. I can chime in.

What year S8 are you considering? McDonald Audi / Denver just took in a Black 07 S8 with less then 8k miles. If black is your thing...it was nice.

Whatever you buy, it will get tore up during winter runs to the airport. Our RS6 is only spending less then 2 more weeks up here and its getting shipped off to our Arizona home for the winter. Then my wife and I can go drag racing each other with her AMG and my RS. Doh

As I said, if its a winter venture....get ready for rock chips everywhere. I would not buy new for such a vehicle but thats me. Our winter beater for the mountains is a Lexus LX470. I plan to run it into the ground, then take that V8 supercharger off and put it on another one. :race:

All that said, I like the 07+S8. I would just hate to tear it up in the winter.

Perhaps too broad. I have an '04 E320 4matic that's probably time to consider doing something about. I love my RS6 back East, but I'm thinking of something less ultra-performance and more of a highway car as the roads out here tend to be straighter and longer. It's got the size, as you say, and it's a superb car. I'm considering an S6 and an S6 Avant (but Audi doesn't seem to be offering them in the current lineup), too.

I've got a Stradale as the "fun" car, but I'm looking for something that can do airport runs without blinking.

Thanks, JB.

CW

DuckWingDuck
October 15th, 2008, 06:29
dave, if you drag, unfortunately, your wife will win. Introduce a couple corners ;)

BTW, got the discs?

DHall1
October 15th, 2008, 06:57
I know, but she wont race in the corners. We could always do drift matches in our driveway. See attached. That gate over on the side leads to the garage in the back. One attached to the house and another in the back yard. Both climate controlled.

Not your typical Arizona yard. Landscape watered by a 300ft well. No water bill. :-)

Didnt check the front office today. Long day. Will check tomorrow.

Thanks,

dave, if you drag, unfortunately, your wife will win. Introduce a couple corners ;)

BTW, got the discs?

Benman
October 15th, 2008, 18:12
S8 W12 is AWESOME. S8 (V10) or A8 W12. That is what you meant, no?

Ben:addict:

CornersWell
October 15th, 2008, 18:36
Yes, the CO winters are hard on cars. No doubt. You should see the front end of the MB. Pretty much sand blasted to bare metal! And, I've gone through 2 windscreens. Thanks, CDOT. But, I guess there's not really a better alternative. So, I do expect for this to be a "disposable" car that I won't get too upset about.

The S8 is a reasonably expensive car, so I wouldn't be too pleased destroying it. There are a number available with ~5-8K on them in the $70's. That's probably the tack I'd take. But, I'm also not adverse to the S6 or even an S4 Avant (although that's getting a little "tight" to carry ppl and baggage).

Anyway, I'll keep on it. There's nothing wrong with the MB, but it's a little underpowered and kind of dated. The 4matic, though, is VERY good. Just as good as Quattro, IMO.

Thanks, again, all.

CW

DuckWingDuck
October 15th, 2008, 22:15
LOL@Ben. Ya... I would rank A8 W12 over S8 V10!

CornersWell - I say don't go any smaller than the S6.

simon78
October 16th, 2008, 03:49
How about a Q7? or the new Q5 that will be out...

In the philippines where the road as horrible Q7 is one of the best selling SUV...

DHall1
October 16th, 2008, 04:56
Good choice on buying a used S8. I say go for it and just clearbra the whole front of the car with the wide sheets. Cover 1/2 the hood, fenders, bumper, ect..

The RS6 I just purchased with 24k had a clear bra on the front from almost new. I had it redone to cover 1/2 the hood and 1/2 of the fenders going back to cover the flares. Ditto on the bumper. When the old stuff was pulled off it looked brand new under there. Best investment you can make on the front of your car.

That said, our 99 LX470s that sees the bulk of winter driving has had clear bra since new. The front still looks very nice and overall the paint is good. Not bad for 120k miles. Oh and stock was not fast enough so I put a Eaton supercharger on the top of that V8 just for good measure. I can remember the Lexus dealer telling me no, no, no. Funny, they said no, no, no when I put the tow bar on that truck as well. We pull it behind our motorhome.

Yes, the CO winters are hard on cars. No doubt. You should see the front end of the MB. Pretty much sand blasted to bare metal! And, I've gone through 2 windscreens. Thanks, CDOT. But, I guess there's not really a better alternative. So, I do expect for this to be a "disposable" car that I won't get too upset about.

The S8 is a reasonably expensive car, so I wouldn't be too pleased destroying it. There are a number available with ~5-8K on them in the $70's. That's probably the tack I'd take. But, I'm also not adverse to the S6 or even an S4 Avant (although that's getting a little "tight" to carry ppl and baggage).

Anyway, I'll keep on it. There's nothing wrong with the MB, but it's a little underpowered and kind of dated. The 4matic, though, is VERY good. Just as good as Quattro, IMO.

Thanks, again, all.

CW

AndyBG
October 16th, 2008, 10:42
You can't go wrong with S8..., it's a fantastic car.

roadrunner
October 16th, 2008, 12:42
As the S6 Avant is not available stateside (would be my choice) and the S4 Avant is too small (at least from your current car parc)

the S8 will be the perfect choice:

1. comfort setting - perfect long haul vehicle (air suspension)
2. dynamic setting - a beast in a tuxedo ("dinner jacket").

cheers
seb.

BLITZEN
October 16th, 2008, 21:22
S8 sounds like a great idea (with the front end completely covered in Invis-a-shield). A less expensive option though would be to go for an Allroad with winter tires, a ski-box on top and upgraded K04 turbo's. Dare I say it, that might even rule snow covered roads as well as an RS6 (but would certainly be more fun than a S8 or Q7). Regardless, any Audi would be a lot more enjoyable than that E320.

DHall1
October 17th, 2008, 04:40
I like the Allroad idea.

As a matter of fact, I have considered selling our LX470 winter vehicle and picking up an Allroad.

I would chip the Allroad and put some RS6 wheels on it and junk those Allroad rims/tires. Ugly, ugly Only problem is that most of the Allroad interior colors are as ugly as they come. What were they thinking????:nana:

S8 sounds like a great idea (with the front end completely covered in Invis-a-shield). A less expensive option though would be to go for an Allroad with winter tires, a ski-box on top and upgraded K04 turbo's. Dare I say it, that might even rule snow covered roads as well as an RS6 (but would certainly be more fun than a S8 or Q7). Regardless, any Audi would be a lot more enjoyable than that E320.

S6driver
October 17th, 2008, 17:24
What year S8 are you considering? McDonald Audi / Denver just took in a Black 07 S8 with less then 8k miles. If black is your thing...it was nice.

McDonald is a terrible dealer. I would never do any business with them. They are almost as bad as Stammeler or Elk Mountain. Prestige in Lakewood is the best place to get an Audi in CO.

I have the first S6 delivered in CO and it has been great. I live on a non maintained county road and with snow tires it is a beast. The S8 is a little big for me, but you can't really go wrong with either car. The '09 S6 details haven't been released as far as I know, but it can't be far off. Good luck, and I hope you get to spend more time in our great state.

DHall1
October 17th, 2008, 20:47
Thats funny,

My impression of Prestige are a bunch of pricks. To put it nicely. I tried to buy an RS6 from them and.... 1. Prestige sales people would never return my calls. 2. Never followed through on getting some estimates for repairs. 3. Had the attitude that they were the best and everyone else was 2nd class. 4. Would not even let me test drive a used RS6 they had sitting on the lot for 4 months. 5. Not budge 1 dollar on price. 6. Did I mention they never called me back on more than one visit. 7. Every phone and personal contact I had with folks at that dealership gave me the same impression.

Now, I dont dress like Mr Big shot and maybe that gives a false impression. But you better not go thru life making assumptions or you will make an ass out of yourself every time.

I paid 40,000+ thousand dollars cash for DBLIPAs mint RS6 from this list. And we paid cash for our AMG. End of story.

McDonald is a terrible dealer. I would never do any business with them. They are almost as bad as Stammeler or Elk Mountain. Prestige in Lakewood is the best place to get an Audi in CO.

I have the first S6 delivered in CO and it has been great. I live on a non maintained county road and with snow tires it is a beast. The S8 is a little big for me, but you can't really go wrong with either car. The '09 S6 details haven't been released as far as I know, but it can't be far off. Good luck, and I hope you get to spend more time in our great state.

S6driver
October 17th, 2008, 23:46
I guess everyone has a different experience. I had a bad time at Mcdonald, and you had a bad time at Prestige. The very worst dealer has got to be Stammler in Boulder. Liars and idiots. Carrol in Ft Collins is OK(just) but too far away. And Elk Mountain tries to get dealer market adjustments, and wants 10k down just to order a S model. Don't know much about Long in Co Springs.

I just have a great relationship with one sales person at Prestige and I absolutely will not under any circumstances deal with Stammler(won't even change oil there) even though they are the closest to me. I think every dealer has their share of idiots and pricks and most people think my father is buying my car because of my age and appearence, so I hear ya about making assumptions.

DHall1
October 17th, 2008, 23:51
You have been lucky to find someone that wants to keep your business. Thats pretty much what it comes down to.

We both agree about the assumptions.

I had some work done by McDonald Audi body shop. It was fantastic! Shop was the cleanest I have ever seen and techs babied my RS like it was thier own.

I guess everyone has a different experience. I had a bad time at Mcdonald, and you had a bad time at Prestige. The very worst dealer has got to be Stammler in Boulder. Liars and idiots. Carrol in Ft Collins is OK(just) but too far away. And Elk Mountain tries to get dealer market adjustments, and wants 10k down just to order a S model. Don't know much about Long in Co Springs.

I just have a great relationship with one sales person at Prestige and I absolutely will not under any circumstances deal with Stammler(won't even change oil there) even though they are the closest to me. I think every dealer has their share of idiots and pricks and most people think my father is buying my car because of my age and appearence, so I hear ya about making assumptions.

GoFastKindaGuy
October 18th, 2008, 00:05
I traded an RS6 for my current S6 and just love it. I thought about taking the RS to my place in Vail, but for four weeks a year, easier to rent a car. There is enough grunt in either the V-10 or W-12 for altitude. Personally, I prefer the S6; Make the call on the size you need. Either is a great road eater. Long live the Lambo Limo!

MountainAudi
October 21st, 2008, 17:05
You have been lucky to find someone that wants to keep your business. That's pretty much what it comes down to.

We both agree about the assumptions.

I had some work done by McDonald Audi body shop. It was fantastic! Shop was the cleanest I have ever seen and techs babied my RS like it was thier own.

My problem with Prestige was when they lost my A8, which I had brought in for repair, a second time. The first time I brought it in, when I came to pick it up I had to wait 45 minutes for it and it turned out it wasn't done. So I had to take it back later. When I came and picked it up the second time it took almost 2 hours to find my car, they had the service manager and everyone out looking for it. This was after the loaner program was cancelled and I live 2.5 hours away.

I wrote a complaint letter and a manager called me up to apologize and said he'd send me a coupon for a free detail, which never arrived. I've had problems with all of them at one point or another but this is when I stopped using Prestige.

Mark

CornersWell
October 22nd, 2008, 01:06
I thought about taking the RS to my place in Vail, but for four weeks a year, easier to rent a car.

Am in Vail, too.

Snowing at the moment, too.

CW