PDA

View Full Version : Nissan refuses to replace GT-R owner's busted transmission

trev0006
October 14th, 2008, 02:16
Nissan refuses to replace GT-R owner's busted transmission
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/10/nissanskylinegtr_abg_03_opt.jpg
A member of the North American GT-R Owner's Club forums started a thread recently in which he tells about dropping off his Nissan GT-R at the dealership when he began hearing loud noises coming from the rear of the car. The dealership told him that his transmission was toast as a direct result of him turning off the car's VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) too much, which you have to do in order to use the Launch Control function. The cost to repair the tranny is $20,000 and Nissan won't cover it under warranty since the GT-R owner's manual states that damage to the transmission is not covered if it is proven to be the result of using Launch Control with the VDC turned off. In fact, the manual states that the only reason you should turn off VDC is for when you're rocking the vehicle because it's stuck in mud or snow. That's kind of like Nissan saying you should never use the Launch Control function despite the fact it's there.

RS246
October 14th, 2008, 09:09
This is just too bad....
Nissan ruining theire good reputation on quality. :( :(

Ruergard
October 14th, 2008, 09:12
Interesting fact that is, you give the car launch control to able to do those crazy starts required to do those sick 0-100 km/h times... But then you can't use it because it will break down. Why did they give the car the feature from the beginning? :doh:

Leadfoot
October 14th, 2008, 10:07
That is ridicious. Maybe what is required is to prove whether the quoted acceleration times are achievable without the launch, if not than maybe the person with the problem/broken transmission have a valid case against Nissan for misleading advertising.

I can't understand why they even offer the launch control if it's not to be used.

Is it possible that it's the huge torque levels that the GTR has that is the real problem ............. the gearbox wasn't designed to cope. Both the Audi and BMW dual clutch gearbox have a peak of 550Nm, maybe the true figure of the Nissan is well above this.

M3 owner
October 14th, 2008, 10:18
Did Nissan keep VDC engaged during their heavily promoted Porsche beating Ring run?
Did they keep it engaged 2 generate their super car acceleration times?

If the average Joe can’t use the car the same way they did 4 these highly publicised events then it shouldn’t be offered/publicised in the 1st place.

I wonder what the "guidelines" r 4 using LC in the new Carrera?

Z07
October 14th, 2008, 12:09
That is ridicious. Maybe what is required is to prove whether the quoted acceleration times are achievable without the launch, if not than maybe the person with the problem/broken transmission have a valid case against Nissan for misleading advertising.

I can't understand why they even offer the launch control if it's not to be used.

Is it possible that it's the huge torque levels that the GTR has that is the real problem ............. the gearbox wasn't designed to cope. Both the Audi and BMW dual clutch gearbox have a peak of 550Nm, maybe the true figure of the Nissan is well above this.

Leadie, assuming your S5 is a manual, how would you feel about me drag launching it 70 times in one night?;)

Z07
October 14th, 2008, 12:17
Did Nissan keep VDC engaged during their heavily promoted Porsche beating Ring run?
Did they keep it engaged 2 generate their super car acceleration times?

If the average Joe can’t use the car the same way they did 4 these highly publicised events then it shouldn’t be offered/publicised in the 1st place.

I wonder what the "guidelines" r 4 using LC in the new Carrera?
Yes and no. The VDC was fully engaged for the 'ring time. Turning it off wouldn't help in such an application. The 3.5s 0-60 Nissan quotes is with VDC on. Magazines have gone faster with VDC off in launch control - as low as 3.1s - but Nissan doesn't claim that. LC is allowed to be used in Japan once every 1000km.

Lastly, the guy in question, whose thread has now been posted 1900 times giving one failure the footprint of 1000 failures is a complete retard. In the thread he admits to using LC "about 20 times" but the unofficial word leaked from his garage is that he used it nearly 4 times that many times in one night alone. The gear teeth had actually melted he abused it that much and he'd already been through a clutch.

KK265
October 14th, 2008, 12:20

80 Nm for Nissan gearbox.Cobb tuning is working on a reinforced trasmission.Allthough the behaviour of Nissan is a real reason for not buying this car.
P.S Nissan 3 days ago stopped to take orders for GTR.Nobody knows the real reason.

Leadfoot
October 14th, 2008, 12:35
Z07,

Thanks for explaining the real reason for the failure. This guys definitely has a screw lose to have done what he did and it true then Nissan has every right to refuse but it wouldn't be good practice or customer relations.

I am surprised to hear from you that Nissan's times weren't achieved without turning the VDC off, but I honestly don't know either way.

P.S.
NO, I wouldn't want to treat my S5 like that or expect it to stand such abuse.

KK265
October 14th, 2008, 13:19
Yes and no. The VDC was fully engaged for the 'ring time. Turning it off wouldn't help in such an application. The 3.5s 0-60 Nissan quotes is with VDC on. Magazines have gone faster with VDC off in launch control - as low as 3.1s - but Nissan doesn't claim that. LC is allowed to be used in Japan once every 1000km.

Lastly, the guy in question, whose thread has now been posted 1900 times giving one failure the footprint of 1000 failures is a complete retard. In the thread he admits to using LC "about 20 times" but the unofficial word leaked from his garage is that he used it nearly 4 times that many times in one night alone. The gear teeth had actually melted he abused it that much and he'd already been through a clutch.
So if someone lives on mountains covered by snow or travels for skiing and has VDC off very often and has broken trasmission later in second gear as others in Australia or Russia is logical Nissan to refuse warranty replacament?
http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=25575
http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=25576
http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=23273
http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=25152
Unbelievable for me for automatic transmission....

mdk
October 14th, 2008, 15:33
A "supercar" with an L/C feature that using it (which would require to take VDC off) voids the warranty :doh:

Using it once or multiple times makes no difference (legally).

Funny thing is that I saw a video clip with NISSAN's product planning manager who demonstrated the usage of L/C (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CmLT05qZ8Q look at 06:15, I quote: "the launch mode will allow you to actually put the car at 45 hundred RPMs lift your foot of the brake and have absolutely perfect launches every time you do this") :lovl:

Michalis

Z07
October 14th, 2008, 19:00
One garage is taking the risk and offering to replace all melted gearboxes:

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/4263/gtautowk8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Z07
October 14th, 2008, 19:03
So if someone lives on mountains covered by snow or travels for skiing and has VDC off very often and has broken trasmission later in second gear as others in Australia or Russia is logical Nissan to refuse warranty replacament?
If someone lives on mountains in snow they are unlikely to melt their gearbox to the point where the metal starts dripping through escaping a snow drift.

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

KK265
October 14th, 2008, 19:32
If someone lives on mountains in snow they are unlikely to melt their gearbox to the point where the metal starts dripping through escaping a snow drift.

:hihi::hihi::hihi:
Ok! Now I have to call Nissan to tell that I am going to mountain so I probably have VDC off and if after 1 year my trasmission breaks it was the trip to the mountain the problem and me personally who disengaged the VDC because the snow probably was melted in some point an I wanted to make fun etc.... :harass: Very nice Nissan hold my GTR I will buy another supercar.

Z07
October 14th, 2008, 19:54
Ok! Now I have to call Nissan to tell that I am going to mountain so I probably have VDC off and if after 1 year my trasmission breaks it was the trip to the mountain the problem and me personally who disengaged the VDC because the snow probably was melted in some point an I wanted to make fun etc.... :harass: Very nice Nissan hold my GTR I will buy another supercar.
I think you should buy another supercar. The quicker resale prices come down for me the better.

Nissan aren't mugs. Yes the manual says, "don't switch the VDC off," but the real reason the warranty has been refused is the abuse. Look at the picture in one of those threads. The metal has melted FFS. Basically if Nissan find molten metal, your warranty is void.:eye:

Leadfoot
October 15th, 2008, 08:02
I looked as the final link in the list by KK265 and I have never seen such damage. I have seen a few damaged teeth but never an entire cog.

Though I am still surprised that Nissan haven't don't the right thing and replace it under warranty.

The Pretender
October 15th, 2008, 09:42
In time we will see the same with Audi's S-Tronic.
If it's broke it will cost you a arm and a leg to repair.
I will not touch a few year old S-tronic car if i was buying one

Jarod.

Leadfoot
October 15th, 2008, 12:18
In time we will see the same with Audi's S-Tronic.
If it's broke it will cost you a arm and a leg to repair.
I will not touch a few year old S-tronic car if i was buying one

Jarod.

I actual look at it from an opposite opinion. S/tronic like automatic don't make bad gear choises (i.e. pick 1st instead of 3rd), plus it won't have a gear baulk on you for being to quick with the lever instead on the clutch as can so often happen with awd cars.

If both cars (manual vs S/Tronic) have been driven equally well I would buy the S/Tronic first, especially as it's only worth an extra £500 more secondhand.

Benman
October 15th, 2008, 18:08
I actual look at it from an opposite opinion.

Leadie, although you are correct, I think the point is that a manual tranny is "helluh" (to quote Kartman) cheaper to maintain/replace than these new hi-tech trannies manufactures are coming out with. :cheers:

Ben:addict:

Leadfoot
October 15th, 2008, 20:03
The guy that has had all the trouble with his GTR, he wouldn't happen to be the one from all of these videos post by yuriy1978 (http://uk.youtube.com/user/yuriy1978) on Youtube?

It looks like all of these races were conducted in one night's racing at traffic lights. In everyone I seen the LC has been used.

Z07
October 15th, 2008, 21:52
Though I am still surprised that Nissan haven't don't the right thing and replace it under warranty.
That would open the floodgates for every idiot though.