PDA

View Full Version : kyalami track day

garbi
October 13th, 2008, 16:43
hi all

just to keep you updated on my recent track day ( bmw club event) at kyalami race track.
3 months back i put my 03rs6 on the track with terrible results ,
i had no brakes , v v v bad understeer , overheated oil temp causing limp mode.
as i have posted previously , i made pleanty adjustments.
the only thing that went wrong was my pads - one set was sent to australia and the other never arrived in time.

i managed to gain 6.8 seconds on my previous times, beating a rs4 with professional racing driver in it and matching the new m3 times also with driving instructors behind the wheel.
obviously there were bmw turbo's , subaru's and nissan gtr's there but i am not in there leaque( power, weight )
i'm happy with the results - but let me break it down a bit more -

kw3 suspension - yes it helped , i kept it on std setting , need to make adjustments as its still to soft - gained something there but there should be another 2 seconds after setting correctly( need much stiffer springs)
cooling was great - oil temp stayed at 120 through out - therefore the car stayed on full power and didn't go in limp mode
i did have water temp go to 120 through after 3 lapped ( therefore stopping) ?? suprised but will think on this one.
the bonnet also with major vents assisted in the oil cooling and power consistancy.
the semi 's helped , and so did the tow outs on the rear.
i got rid of the major understeer it had and depending on the tyre pressures , i was getting the back to step out a bit.

the brakes were good with only the racing fluid in , no brake fade occured at all but i'm sure the better pads would have helped a bit of later braking.
gearbox shifts and power where great ( well done dna tuning ).
on our dyno i am on 540bhp , which is solid stuff.

the car is heavy and big , so i really need to get much stiffer springs and then set up properly as the car is still not well balanced ( suspensionwise), it is still not insiring confidence.( 200km fast sweeps).

the best part was having half the paddock around the rs6 , as no one has had the balls to venture out and track this car properly yet( s.a that is).

this forum has been a world of info --- so THANK YOU guys

DHall1
October 14th, 2008, 02:37
Several points here.

1. I am very impressed with your results. Champion Audi had excellent results with this platform even given its drawbacks. It can be done with this setup.

2. Thank you for coming back and posting your results along with your steps to get there.

3. Its nice to get the respect from your peers. It gives a sense of a job well done. Anyone with $$$ can go out and purchase a 911 GT3 and make some fast laps. It takes some skill and precision to do that in one of these.

Congrats,

Dave

Post your alignment settings. Thanks

hi all

just to keep you updated on my recent track day ( bmw club event) at kyalami race track.
3 months back i put my 03rs6 on the track with terrible results ,
i had no brakes , v v v bad understeer , overheated oil temp causing limp mode.
as i have posted previously , i made pleanty adjustments.
the only thing that went wrong was my pads - one set was sent to australia and the other never arrived in time.

i managed to gain 6.8 seconds on my previous times, beating a rs4 with professional racing driver in it and matching the new m3 times also with driving instructors behind the wheel.
obviously there were bmw turbo's , subaru's and nissan gtr's there but i am not in there leaque( power, weight )
i'm happy with the results - but let me break it down a bit more -

kw3 suspension - yes it helped , i kept it on std setting , need to make adjustments as its still to soft - gained something there but there should be another 2 seconds after setting correctly( need much stiffer springs)
cooling was great - oil temp stayed at 120 through out - therefore the car stayed on full power and didn't go in limp mode
i did have water temp go to 120 through after 3 lapped ( therefore stopping) ?? suprised but will think on this one.
the bonnet also with major vents assisted in the oil cooling and power consistancy.
the semi 's helped , and so did the tow outs on the rear.
i got rid of the major understeer it had and depending on the tyre pressures , i was getting the back to step out a bit.

the brakes were good with only the racing fluid in , no brake fade occured at all but i'm sure the better pads would have helped a bit of later braking.
gearbox shifts and power where great ( well done dna tuning ).
on our dyno i am on 540bhp , which is solid stuff.

the car is heavy and big , so i really need to get much stiffer springs and then set up properly as the car is still not well balanced ( suspensionwise), it is still not insiring confidence.( 200km fast sweeps).

the best part was having half the paddock around the rs6 , as no one has had the balls to venture out and track this car properly yet( s.a that is).

this forum has been a world of info --- so THANK YOU guys

garbi
October 14th, 2008, 06:25
The Front Went To A Neg Chamber Or 1.4 With The Suspension Drop On Its Own And Had A Zero Toe In/out.
On The Rear I Went 1.5 Neg Camber With A 1 Toe Out. ( All Degrees)
I Would Like To Find The Front Camber Plates And Bush So The More Neg Can Be Place.

Garbi

got boost
October 14th, 2008, 17:46
I was wondering how that KW set up would work at the track.

Do you know what the spring rates are? is there a springrate option when buying the KW setup?

Thanks

BTW, -6.8 seconds, thats a nice difference!

garbi
October 14th, 2008, 18:02
the kw sett up was an improvement on the drc's but it still needs to be quite a bit stiffer , i didn't adjust during the day for stiffer bump and rebound settings, but i still feel that it will not be enough .
i have sent a mail to kw enquiring about stiffer springs , so will wait.
this car is so heavy that during during fast sweeps there is still quite a bit of roll . even with the sway bars at max.
i really hope they have

what really pissed me off was a 500bhp m5(2004) with semi'sand suspension going faster by 1 second. and thats also a tank ( a well balanced tank)

DuckWingDuck
October 14th, 2008, 20:08
Are you sure you're at the stiffest setting on the KWs? And you've got the Hotchkis swaybars and it's still riding soft? Damn... maybe I need to rethink this tracking thing.

garbi
October 15th, 2008, 06:47
they are at about 3 quarter stiffness , yes and i have hotchkis sway bars. they work well on the track but it needs to be stiffer , the tyres are nb on the track.

Benman
October 15th, 2008, 18:16
they are at about 3 quarter stiffness , yes and i have hotchkis sway bars. they work well on the track but it needs to be stiffer , the tyres are nb on the track.

The Hotchkiss rears also have two settings. Do you have the rears set on the stiffer of the two? :cheers:

Ben:addict: