PDA

View Full Version : REVO Tune on the 03 RS6

Texas RS6
October 9th, 2008, 20:26
I just drove my car back home from having the Revo tune done. :revs:

It feels stronger across the power band, but really woke the car in the mid range. The turbos also feel like they hit harder and quicker. I also don't remember being able to hear them sing with the windows down before. Maybe I didn't drive it at full song with them down before either. :music:

KfabR8
October 9th, 2008, 21:50
Cool stuff!!! I can't wait to have time to get this stuff done.

Copper
October 9th, 2008, 22:43
Oh yeah, another convert. You will be amazed when you really get some space to stretch the 'ol legs out on your RS6. Any little encounters with other cars that were close before will be very different now.

Erik
October 10th, 2008, 00:10
I still remember my first take-over with a tuned car...

One...Two...Three...done

It was a 18 meter lorry... :D

DuckWingDuck
October 10th, 2008, 00:39
don't forget that you should look into getting your TCU tuned as well (or does the Revo ECU flash include this?) lest your transmission blows up!

Glad to hear another happy revo customer, how much did it run you if you don't mind sharing?

MikeL01
October 10th, 2008, 01:27
The Tune was a good choice for me too. I can only imagine what the new RS6's 570+ would feel like. I think I'll add another coat of Zaino.

DHall1
October 10th, 2008, 04:03
Classic. I like this idea.

:rs6kiss:

The Tune was a good choice for me too. I can only imagine what the new RS6's 570+ would feel like. I think I'll add another coat of Zaino.

DHall1
October 10th, 2008, 04:04
Is the REVO.....800ish?

don't forget that you should look into getting your TCU tuned as well (or does the Revo ECU flash include this?) lest your transmission blows up!

Glad to hear another happy revo customer, how much did it run you if you don't mind sharing?

DuckWingDuck
October 10th, 2008, 05:19
naw, the revo for our car boost it to 500 something? 505 or 515 some such. It's "relatively" tame

DHall1
October 10th, 2008, 05:21
Greg,

$800 dollars. Not 800hp

:-)

naw, the revo for our car boost it to 500 something? 505 or 515 some such. It's "relatively" tame

DuckWingDuck
October 10th, 2008, 06:24
LOL. I was about to say! Is Revo that cheap? Damn, should get two of those, then maybe I can get to 800bhp! Or does it not work that way? ;)

Texas RS6
October 10th, 2008, 15:23
I bought both the Select Plus and the 515hp Tune. Together they were over $1K. But I plan to buy the VAGCOM and play with the final tune once all upgrades are done.

It is very hard to test in the city. With in a few second a 2 gears I am exceeding every posted speed limit for both the street and highway@! :wo:

Separate topic on the Transmission. I was told the trans is a able to learn and adapt to the tune and the trans tune wasn't necessary. :eye:

ben916
October 10th, 2008, 18:12

It was a 18 meter lorry... :D

:harass: HA!

DuckWingDuck
October 10th, 2008, 21:04
Separate topic on the Transmission. I was told the trans is a able to learn and adapt to the tune and the trans tune wasn't necessary. :eye:

Hmm, I would be leery of that... And would recommend that maybe you talk to your dealership about the possibility of you pulling it out and getting the MTM TCU program on there. Well, I guess I would just ask your dealer whether you might encounter any problems if you pulled out the TCU chip and put MTM programming on there.

Texas RS6
October 10th, 2008, 21:56
I don't recall how much the TCU tune was.

snoopra
October 11th, 2008, 04:03

REVO told me that too! There's a thread on rs6.com in reguards to the TCU "learning" after awhile so it's possible. I'm sending my trans to IPT in the coming weeks so when I do the REVO flash, power handling won't be an issue.

OK, the TCU learning thing was after trans when upgraded, learned to handle more torque.

gjg
October 11th, 2008, 07:24

BS :idea:

DuckWingDuck
October 11th, 2008, 07:26
I don't recall how much the TCU tune was.

$100. We talked about this a while ago: http://rs6.com/forum/showpost.php?p=127998&postcount=99

hahnmgh63
October 11th, 2008, 18:29
Make sure the Revo flash you got was the version 3 which is the newest flash, I really can't tell by seat of the pants a difference between V2 & V3. Snoopra, when you get the tranny installed, I would be very interested to hear how it feels as I think that will be my next big project. I am getting ready to install my KW V3's and Hotchkiss soon so the suspension problems will be solved and it sounds like the tranny is really the next weak link. Thanks, MGH

DuckWingDuck
October 11th, 2008, 20:23
KW V3 = very good

Hotchkis = it's coming!!

Copper
October 11th, 2008, 21:15
$1,335.36 for my Revo setup at Kinetic:

Revo Program - $899.00

Select Plus Control Module - $349.00

Tax - $87.36 (7% GA Sales Tax)

Transmission is clearly "learning" as our Audis have adaptive transmission (TCU) even without an aftermarket ECU.

Mine shifts faster and later in the power band with the Revo ECU. Also depend on if I am in normal "Drive" "Sport" or manual modes (just the same as the stock ECU/TCU programs).

In all modes the shift points are different after about 50+ miles of flashing the ECU with the Revo program(s).

I can also really hear the turbos when I get on it (windows down) with the flash. The car pulls insane now.

Program #1 = Stock 450 HP 91 Octane

Program #2 = 500HP (est) 93 Octane (this is the program I run)

Program #3 = 515HP (est) 97 Octane

Program #4 = 530HP (est) 100 Octane

Program #5 = 550HP (est) and 110+ Race Fuel

Custom Programs - A - C = User programed - Boost, Timing, Fuel settings

My program is based on 18" wheels, stock sound enhancing exhaust, stock intakes and downpipes.

I think the MTM TCU is about $100. If I start to see any tranmission hard shifts, missed shifts, parts falling off while driving, etc. then I would consider purchasing the TCU. If problems persist after that then I would just go back to the stock program.

After 12K+ miles with Revo, not one issue. Keep in mind I don't "beat" my car and don't "experiment" with the custom user programs available or any of the other programs actually. My RS6 is a daily driver, mostly in normal "drive" and sometimes in "manual" when I'm feeling frisky.

I don't know how the tranny/engine would hold up with the Revo program if the car was pushed hard on every drive and/or the program settings were being fooled with/maxed out.

Your results may vary.

DuckWingDuck
October 11th, 2008, 21:20
Copper, thanks for the informative write up! ECU/TCU is on deck after RNS-E/BT.

Copper
October 12th, 2008, 21:04
Also, as mentioned, the Revo flash does not do anything to the TCU on it's own. Since the stock TCU is adaptive based on how the car is being used (in Drive just cruising for many miles you will notice the car hesistate if suddenly you stomp on the accel. before it takes off vs. driving aggressively for many miles the throttle response is instant or in Sport, etc.) We all know this.

When you introduce more boost, different fuel ratios and timing, the stock TCU will "learn" and change the shift points, rev limit, etc. just the same as the stock ECU program as above. Whenever I change to a different program, I notice that is takes a little time for the TCU to sort out the change and then adapts to the new program.

When I went to the dealer recently, I went back to the stock program on the ECU, but the tranny was still trying to shift a little later and the shifts felt "clunky" for a few minutes of driving. After a few miles it smoothed out and I realized how "soft" the stock program is. I think the RS6+ is simply a mild ECU update in boost, etc (I know there are cosmetic changes as well, but from a performance enhancement). I have also read that the non-US RS6 has crisper (read: harder) shift points and the US version was softened somewhat. That "crisper" shifting is what I experience with the Revo flash and is the only way I can explain.

My favorite Sunday morning thrill is to go get some early-morning Starbucks about 3 miles away on a back-road that is empty that time of day and put the car in "Sport" with Revo Program 2. Puts me in a good mood for the upcoming work week! I stay in within 10mph of the post speed limit but just the launch and power....

OK, so I'd like to hear from someone that has the Revo ECU with MTM or silimar TCU to see what they think. I'd consider it in a heartbeat if it helps with the reliabiliy/driveability of the car.

Also weird - Revo Program #2 I get better fuel economy than the stock program on average 2-3mpg. I don't know why. I've tested this on 5+ business trips that were 600+ miles round trip. I was pretty surprised but happy since I can just leave the program as is and not worry about flashing back and forth.

So, I'm a fan but again I have nothing to do with Revo or any other Audi related aftermarket company. I own a computer company, the nerd in me bleeds into my hobbys sometimes!

RS6-4dr911
October 13th, 2008, 03:03
After reading all of this, I think it's pushed me over the hump to get the Revo tune (no switch, just the basic tune). Next contract I get, I'm getting a bonus in the form of 50 more ponies.

I've already done the MTM TCU upgrade so I'll be able to provide the feedback on that configuration. So far with the stock ECU, I like it and it seems worth it.:addict:

Texas RS6
October 13th, 2008, 22:13
$1,335.36 for my Revo setup at Kinetic:

Revo Program - $899.00

Select Plus Control Module - $349.00

Tax - $87.36 (7% GA Sales Tax)

Program #1 = Stock 450 HP 91 Octane

Program #2 = 500HP (est) 93 Octane (this is the program I run)

Program #3 = 515HP (est) 97 Octane

Program #4 = 530HP (est) 100 Octane

Program #5 = 550HP (est) and 110+ Race Fuel

Custom Programs - A - C = User programed - Boost, Timing, Fuel settings

I bought the same set up. The Select plus is being drop shipped to me. Where did the program info above come from? Are these already loaded into the switch? My installer (V2 or V3 I don't know and did not know to ask) said the positions you could program yourself. I would prefer the pre-program options listed above. :mech:

snoopra
October 14th, 2008, 06:02
.............. Snoopra, when you get the tranny installed, I would be very interested to hear how it feels as I think that will be my next big project. I am getting ready to install my KW V3's and Hotchkiss soon so the suspension problems will be solved and it sounds like the tranny is really the next weak link. Thanks, MGH
Will do, MGH...Haven't installed my H-sways as yet and I'll have to order a set of KW V3's from Big Drew (Boosted-Bora) too.

Spidercat
November 1st, 2008, 01:30
OK, so I'd like to hear from someone that has the Revo ECU with MTM or silimar TCU to see what they think. I'd consider it in a heartbeat if it helps with the reliabiliy/driveability of the car.

Just saw this post today. Been off the forum for a while due to a new addition to our family. I've had the Revo for a while now (maybe a couple months after you got yours?), and I've had the MTM TCU for about 3 or so months now (had it switched with the first DRC replacement). I noticed right away that it shifts more quickly both up and down. Still running the race fuel program with no issues and tons of smiles! Just had to have my second set of "new" DRC rear struts replaced due to leakage. The car started handling like an old Buick, but the dealer replaced them under warranty, air-shipped them, and gave me a loaner, so I was happy. Anyway, TCU was well worth the $100 plus shipping and 1 hour of labor, and it works well with the Revo.

hahnmgh63
November 1st, 2008, 06:08
Where did you guy's get the MTM TCU software for $100? Is this loaded through the OBD2 port?

snoopra
November 1st, 2008, 11:52
Where did you guy's get the MTM TCU software for $100? Is this loaded through the OBD2 port?
You'll need to remove the TCU from the front passenger side foot well and send it to MTM.

Spidercat
November 4th, 2008, 22:05

Contact Mike Hoppen at Joe Hoppen Motorsports at Hoppen4MTM@aol.com

Take the TCU module out from under the passenger floorboard, overnight it to them, they mod it immediately, and overnight it back. Your car will be out of commission for about 3 days. It was well worth it for the quicker gear changes alone.

hahnmgh63
November 5th, 2008, 01:14
Thanks, Maybe I'll work on getting it out tonight as I'm leaving tomorrow for a couple of weeks. MGH

DuckWingDuck
November 5th, 2008, 02:45
snap some pics, I might as well do it!

vangelis
November 5th, 2008, 06:04
You'll need to remove the TCU from the front passenger side foot well and send it to MTM.

Could you please post a photo for the excact location of the TCU?? Thankss a lot

hahnmgh63
November 5th, 2008, 06:16
Here it is just in front of the passenger seat on the floor. While you've got the carpet pulled back, pull the Onstar module and its backup batter as it will be inopertative by the end of December. Check Audi world for instructions or E-mail me. You will need to go into Vagcom Navigation functions to uncode the Telematics for the backup battery you will be removing. MGH

hahnmgh63
November 29th, 2008, 07:34
Well, I sent my TCU to Hoppen motorsports and when I plugged it in nothing? I tried to VagCom it and I get "no communications with the controller". I had to pull it out and send it back to Hoppen. I hope it works better the second time or I will really regret sending it in for the MTM software after all!

Copper
December 1st, 2008, 19:26
Roy,

Please let us know how this turns out for you.

terrytcl
December 3rd, 2008, 19:52
just contact joe to get my TCU upgraded to the MTM program.

Where can i get the REVO upgrade?
are you guys with the REVO upgrade running any other upgrades with the REVO tune?

terrytcl
December 3rd, 2008, 20:02
one more question -

do i have to bring my car in to have it chipped?
there's only one authorized dealer near me. would like more options

Spidercat
December 3rd, 2008, 20:08
To locate a dealer:

http://www.revotechnik.com/locateDealer/americas.aspx

In addition to the Revo ECU flash w/ SPS box, I have Forge DVs and MTM TCU. I think that's about it in the way of engine/powertrain mods for me. (Still waiting on the stupid dollar to get closer to the Euro before I buy any wheels, though! Why do all the wheels I like have to be so damn expensive??? :doh: )

ZCD2.7T
December 3rd, 2008, 20:08
one more question -

do i have to bring my car in to have it chipped?
there's only one authorized dealer near me. would like more options

Generally, yes, you do have to take your car to the shop for the ECU flash.

BTW - I'm just a few miles north of you, and take Quentin Rd. both ways every day during my commute. The Avatar pic of my car was taken at a spot about 20 feet west of Quentin, as a matter of fact!

If you need some other local tuner options, let me know.

PM me, if you prefer.

Spidercat
December 3rd, 2008, 20:15
I would contact Revo, but I'm almost sure that you have to bring your car in to get it flashed. It only takes a few minutes to hook their laptop up to your car through the OBD2 port, so I would think that techically you shouldn't HAVE to bring it in if you have a laptop, connecting cable, and the correct software, but I'm almost sure they wouldn't do that. Also, I don't see why a dealer couldn't also technically come to your house and do it, but again, I don't think that would be cost-effective. Try contacting them and see what they say.

terrytcl
December 3rd, 2008, 20:17
correct me if i'm wrong, but i think that picture was taken just behind the kildeer mall (best buy, etc)... right?

i'm looking to get the REVO tune with the select plus option.

i've already contacted Joe to get the TCU MTM upgrade.

i've also been looking at the forge a-line valves.
also, looking for some time to install my iridium spark plugs.

so much to do
:)
so little time

terrytcl
December 3rd, 2008, 20:18
I would contact Revo, but I'm almost sure that you have to bring your car in to get it flashed. It only takes a few minutes to hook their laptop up to your car through the OBD2 port, so I would think that techically you shouldn't HAVE to bring it in if you have a laptop, connecting cable, and the correct software, but I'm almost sure they wouldn't do that. Also, I don't see why a dealer couldn't also technically come to your house and do it, but again, I don't think that would be cost-effective. Try contacting them and see what they say.

so, they don't remove the ecu?

if this is the case, then i feel a lot better about getting this done.

Spidercat
December 3rd, 2008, 20:22
Correct. They never touch your ECU box.

terrytcl
December 3rd, 2008, 20:25
i've contacted my local dealer.

hopefully, i can get this done soon.

my car sits in the garage with this bad weather we're having here... so, getting some work done now would be ideal

:)

thanks spidercat for the info.

waiting to hear back from joe about the mtm tcu upgrade

terrytcl
December 3rd, 2008, 20:29
some of the guys in this thread was talking about high flow cats...

any particular brand or model?

in regards to the diverter valves... do our rs6s need the low profile model? or just regular top nipple diverter valve? trying to figure out if i need the a-line or regular 007 forge valve.

mmaturo
December 3rd, 2008, 20:56

They just hook up a laptop to your car...my last car I had revo put on they came to us (another person getting their's done). Very simple. 5 to 10 minutes. Still scared doing it myself yet with my trans (my car likes to fall apart...DRC just went after 6 months) but one day will. I did the 5 hour test, that proved to me its worth...I figured then i would end up arrested with that level of power.

vangelis
December 3rd, 2008, 20:59
some of the guys in this thread was talking about high flow cats...

any particular brand or model?

in regards to the diverter valves... do our rs6s need the low profile model? or just regular top nipple diverter valve? trying to figure out if i need the a-line or regular 007 forge valve.

I prefer Milltek,, you can get Hi-Flow Sports Cats 200 CPSI,, Cat-back - Non-resonated,,Milltek also have very nice Hyperboost Diverter Valves.

http://www.millteksport.com/exhaust.products.cfm?variantid=22

ZCD2.7T
December 4th, 2008, 16:49
correct me if i'm wrong, but i think that picture was taken just behind the kildeer mall (best buy, etc)... right?

Close, but no cigar.

Another hint: There's actually a fountain in the pond behind my car, but it was photoshopped out. Also, the pond in question is near the north termination of Quentin....

In any case, enjoy the upgrages to your car. I personally know 3 RS 6 owners who have been through at least 2 transmissions each, and NONE of those was a chipped car, so that would give me pause, but I understand the attraction of MO POWAH and will keep my fingers and other various appendages crossed for you!

;-)

mmaturo
December 4th, 2008, 16:57
Close, but no cigar.

Another hint: There's actually a fountain in the pond behind my car, but it was photoshopped out. Also, the pond in question is near the north termination of Quentin....

In any case, enjoy the upgrages to your car. I personally know 3 RS 6 owners who have been through at least 2 transmissions each, and NONE of those was a chipped car, so that would give me pause, but I understand the attraction of MO POWAH and will keep my fingers and other various appendages crossed for you!

;-)

and exactly why i'm afraid, on tranny number two and number three torque converter, all stock as well.

terrytcl
December 4th, 2008, 17:16
Close, but no cigar.

;-)

fountain... ah... in the church property?

i don't drive my rs6 much, so we'll see. tranny is holding up fine. maybe a slight slip of the converter, but living on the edge is great!
hahahaha

:dig: :dig: :dig: :mech:

terrytcl
December 4th, 2008, 17:18
and exactly why i'm afraid, on tranny number two and number three torque converter, all stock as well.

if you've gone through that many trannys and converters... i would say the problem lies elsewhere. perhaps a bad harness, TCU, or bad installs.

unless it's the user :vhmmm: :vhmmm:

:thumb:

iconcls
December 4th, 2008, 19:57
Close, but no cigar.
I personally know 3 RS 6 owners who have been through at least 2 transmissions each

Only one of those owners is teh schiznatz.

ZCD2.7T
December 5th, 2008, 13:27
fountain... ah... in the church property?

i don't drive my rs6 much, so we'll see. tranny is holding up fine. maybe a slight slip of the converter, but living on the edge is great!
hahahaha

Bingo! My daughters went there for Preschool and Kindergarten, and lately for their "summer camp" when school is out.

I suppose it helps ease your mind if your RS 6 isn't your daily driver. You're fortunate in that way...

What IS your daily driver, then, if I might ask?

ZCD2.7T
December 5th, 2008, 13:30
Only one of those owners is teh schiznatz.

Yep, mmaturo's quite a guy...nice of you to point that out!!

terrytcl
December 5th, 2008, 22:36
Bingo! My daughters went there for Preschool and Kindergarten, and lately for their "summer camp" when school is out.

I suppose it helps ease your mind if your RS 6 isn't your daily driver. You're fortunate in that way...

What IS your daily driver, then, if I might ask?

i'm walking distance from the Best Buy.

the pilot is my daily. it's the comfy suv, which gets better gas mileage than the rs6 :)

terrytcl
December 5th, 2008, 22:37
what's the typical response time for joe at hoppen motorsports?

ZCD2.7T
December 8th, 2008, 01:46
what's the typical response time for joe at hoppen motorsports?

I'm sorry to repor that Joe himself passed away last month:

http://forums.audiworld.com/qclubflorida/msgs/87786.phtml

A shame for all of us - he was a sort of legend in the Audi universe...

hahnmgh63
December 8th, 2008, 01:57
It is still Joe Hoppen Motorsports for now but Mike Hoppen is the one you send your TCU to. As I mentioned my first chipped TCU did not work and Mike just received mine back again on Friday so I hope it was just a simple soldering problem. I'm looking forward to getting it back as I miss driving the car. My 225bhp tt just isn't the same.

mmaturo
December 8th, 2008, 03:18
if you've gone through that many trannys and converters... i would say the problem lies elsewhere. perhaps a bad harness, TCU, or bad installs.

unless it's the user :vhmmm: :vhmmm:

:thumb:

I drive it like i stole every day...reason I bought it : )

mmaturo
December 8th, 2008, 03:19
Yep, mmaturo's quite a guy...nice of you to point that out!!

Why thank-you.... - blushing -

hahnmgh63
December 8th, 2008, 08:39
Sorry Terry but I didn't answer your question. Mike turns your TCU around in 1 day. Shipping is the holdup depending if you overnight it to him and whether you pay for him to overnight it back or regular ground shipping.

terrytcl
December 8th, 2008, 17:50
i don't drive my rs6, so i can wait.

but, how do i get a hold of mike?

thanks

hahnmgh63
December 9th, 2008, 08:58
http://www.hoppenmotorsport.com/

terrytcl
December 10th, 2008, 19:28
torn between unitronic and revo

if you were going to chip, what would you go with and why?

the gains on the unitronic seem to be better than the revo...

gjg
December 10th, 2008, 19:59
torn between unitronic and revo

if you were going to chip, what would you go with and why?

the gains on the unitronic seem to be better than the revo...

paper will hold anything - like politicians promises.... Unitronics - anyone on the board has this??

I have MTM and very happy with it. :thumb:

DuckWingDuck
December 10th, 2008, 20:20
Ya, ultimately, these tuners are all pretty much going to be the same. Talk to your installer to see which they recommend and use because that is the person to whom you will be going to and best to deal with someone who is familiar and comfortable with a particular tune.

For example, if and when I ever get around to chipping my car, I will be going GIAC because through my network, I actually know Garrett personally and my service advisor and technician both use it and like it.

terrytcl
December 10th, 2008, 22:05
the two audi shops in my area carry a different software brand.

one - unitronic
the other - revo

the only thing i like about the revo is that it's switchable

DuckWingDuck
December 11th, 2008, 00:22
I think most, if not all of them these days give you the ability to switch programs. That said, I think revo is the most friendly one in terms of switching by offering a controller that you can plug into the ODBC II port in order to switch between the various programs.

Yellow RS6
December 12th, 2008, 14:17
If you can switch programs, is there an option to set it back to factory settings, like if you were taking your car in for service?

Which leads to a question I've been meaning to ask, how are Audi dealers when it comes doing warranty work on a modded car? Mine is CPO'ed and I don't want to chip it if it will void my warranty.

DHall1
December 12th, 2008, 16:01
If your willing to void everything. Go for it. And trust me, even if you have a Revo...the dealer can tell that a chip/reflash has been installed.

If you can switch programs, is there an option to set it back to factory settings, like if you were taking your car in for service?

Which leads to a question I've been meaning to ask, how are Audi dealers when it comes doing warranty work on a modded car? Mine is CPO'ed and I don't want to chip it if it will void my warranty.

DuckWingDuck
December 12th, 2008, 16:30
Heh, ya, if they seriously want to know, they can find out but most don't care. Hell, my service advisor and technician are the people pushing me to get my car chipped! But, I do have a previous relationship with them.

Yellow RS6
December 12th, 2008, 16:53
So I guess it just depends on the dealer/service advisor? I was asking because I had considered the Evo during my car-shopping and from what I've read on evolutionm.net, it seems Mitsu dealers are real jerks about not fixing stuff under warranty if ANY mods have been done. Even basic stuff like an intake and exhaust!

DHall1
December 12th, 2008, 17:23
Greg,

I agree that its very important to have dealer staff on your side. But...

When you need 2 turbos and the bill is approaching 10,000 dollars. The rubber meets the road and inspectors are sent out to have a look at the car. Now, tell me if that insurance adjuster has any motivation to deny that claim? You better believe it. Its his/her job to get that claim denied at any cost. So, he or she will do everything to make that happen.

all this = you are screwed if that adjuster wants to crack open the ECU and read some data.

Yeeks

Heh, ya, if they seriously want to know, they can find out but most don't care. Hell, my service advisor and technician are the people pushing me to get my car chipped! But, I do have a previous relationship with them.

DuckWingDuck
December 12th, 2008, 19:37
ya, ultimately it comes down to how we are individually comfortable with essentially voiding the warranty. I'm not advising people to do it just offering my two bits. And of course Dave does bring up the good point about the claims adjuster, I've never dealt with anything on that level so I claim ignorance on this also fairly relevant bit.

Spidercat
December 12th, 2008, 19:38
If your willing to void everything. Go for it. And trust me, even if you have a Revo...the dealer can tell that a chip/reflash has been installed.

Personal experience dictates that this is just not true.

This depends, of course on what type of ECU mod you have. As many of you know, I have the Revo. The ECU box never gets touched during install, so "cracking open the ECU" will yield no results for the adjuster. Some other ECU mods require opening the box and resoldering, etc, and some even replace the tamper-resistant bolts or whatever, but I didn't go that route so I'm not qualified to speak about it. I'm not advocating "pulling one over" on anybody, but most dealers will not be able to tell if your car has been flashed, provided you switch it back to stock mode when you bring it in for service. When my DRC went the first time, I also had a CEL come on the day I was scheduled to bring it in (later found out bad gas was the culprit by the process of elimination). Anyway, they were LOOKING for a problem on their diagnostic equipment and couldn't find anything. Incidentally, when I brought the car back for the second DRC (had a faulty strut, GRRR!), I had the TCU shipped to Hoppen for the MTM upgrade. Anyway, I keep all the records for the car under the passenger floormat, and as many of you know, the TCU is located there. The SA was like "Is your car chipped?" I said "Yeah, why do you ask?" He told me that the mechanic saw the Revo invoice right on top when he was taking out the TCU:doh:! Anyway, the cat's out the bag now, and he really didn't care anyway. He was curious to see how I liked it. All that said, I'm sure, given enough resources, someone could find out that the ECU program (even if in "stock mode") has been altered at some point. I'd bet even the "stock program" on the aftermarket ECUs is proprietary and there will be some telltale sign available on someone's diagnostic equipment somewhere. In my experience, though, this was not the case even when searching for it.

On a separate note, I agree that having a good relationship with your service advisor and mechanic is key. If they do a good job, bring them something when you pick your car up (chocolates, bagels, it really doesn't matter). Just show some love!:heart: Believe me, they'll remember it. Don't forget to remind the SA to make sure to pass it some to the mechanic (there's usually one one maybe two guys who would be certified to touch your car, so if you need to bring it in again, they'll probably still be there). I'm not saying you'll get free oil changes or anything, but it's always good to have these guys on your side.

Many Audi SAs have no reason to help aftermarket warranty companies (which are responsible for many of our cars warranty claims now), but may have big reasons to help you. In my N of 1, this has helped immensely. YMMV.

DuckWingDuck
December 12th, 2008, 21:10
Anyway, I keep all the records for the car under the passenger floormat, and as many of you know, the TCU is located there. The SA was like "Is your car chipped?" I said "Yeah, why do you ask?" He told me that the mechanic saw the Revo invoice right on top when he was taking out the TCU:doh:! Anyway, the cat's out the bag now, and he really didn't care anyway. He was curious to see how I liked it. All that said, I'm sure, given enough resources, someone could find out that the ECU program (even if in "stock mode") has been altered at some point. I'd bet even the "stock program" on the aftermarket ECUs is proprietary and there will be some telltale sign available on someone's diagnostic equipment somewhere. In my experience, though, this was not the case even when searching for it.

On a separate note, I agree that having a good relationship with your service advisor and mechanic is key. If they do a good job, bring them something when you pick your car up (chocolates, bagels, it really doesn't matter). Just show some love!:heart: Believe me, they'll remember it. Don't forget to remind the SA to make sure to pass it some to the mechanic (there's usually one one maybe two guys who would be certified to touch your car, so if you need to bring it in again, they'll probably still be there). I'm not saying you'll get free oil changes or anything, but it's always good to have these guys on your side.

Many Audi SAs have no reason to help aftermarket warranty companies (which are responsible for many of our cars warranty claims now), but may have big reasons to help you. In my N of 1, this has helped immensely. YMMV.

Ya, I agree with our man from Hawaii 100%, service advisors and mechanics are for the most part enthusiasts just like the rest of us and as such, when rare-ish cars like the RS6 comes in, they do enjoy in talking about the car and exploring its limits.

Also, to build on top of Spidercat's point re: SA & adjusters, remember that ultimately the SAs are working for you and that they work on your behalf in dealing with claims adjusters.

Still though, chipping your car and voiding the warranty is not something to be taken lightly and it is up to the individual to decide whether it is the right decision or not.

DHall1
December 13th, 2008, 00:38
Trust me, the ECU or TCU does not need to be "physically opened up" to tell that engine/trans software has been modified.

Your story would have been 100% different if your dealer were trying to claim 2 turbos or a transmission to either Audi or an extended warranty company.

Personal experience dictates that this is just not true.

This depends, of course on what type of ECU mod you have. As many of you know, I have the Revo. The ECU box never gets touched during install, so "cracking open the ECU" will yield no results for the adjuster. Some other ECU mods require opening the box and resoldering, etc, and some even replace the tamper-resistant bolts or whatever, but I didn't go that route so I'm not qualified to speak about it. I'm not advocating "pulling one over" on anybody, but most dealers will not be able to tell if your car has been flashed, provided you switch it back to stock mode when you bring it in for service. When my DRC went the first time, I also had a CEL come on the day I was scheduled to bring it in (later found out bad gas was the culprit by the process of elimination). Anyway, they were LOOKING for a problem on their diagnostic equipment and couldn't find anything. Incidentally, when I brought the car back for the second DRC (had a faulty strut, GRRR!), I had the TCU shipped to Hoppen for the MTM upgrade. Anyway, I keep all the records for the car under the passenger floormat, and as many of you know, the TCU is located there. The SA was like "Is your car chipped?" I said "Yeah, why do you ask?" He told me that the mechanic saw the Revo invoice right on top when he was taking out the TCU:doh:! Anyway, the cat's out the bag now, and he really didn't care anyway. He was curious to see how I liked it. All that said, I'm sure, given enough resources, someone could find out that the ECU program (even if in "stock mode") has been altered at some point. I'd bet even the "stock program" on the aftermarket ECUs is proprietary and there will be some telltale sign available on someone's diagnostic equipment somewhere. In my experience, though, this was not the case even when searching for it.

Fonzie Audi
December 13th, 2008, 00:50
i have the APR ECU/TCU.. which offers a "Security Lock Feature".

I can not only switch it to stock mode - but can "lock" it into stock so the 93 and 100 octane modes can not be accessed or identified without a password.

i know it works, because i got an entirely new transmission out of Audi without a peep.

don't know if Revo offers this feature or not.. but it was worth it

Spidercat
December 16th, 2008, 01:10
Trust me, the ECU or TCU does not need to be "physically opened up" to tell that engine/trans software has been modified.

Agreed regarding the ECU. I must've misunderstood your other post above about Audi needing to "crack open your ECU" to read the data (sorry for the paraphrase). I thought you meant that Audi had to open the ECU box to look signs of tampering and/or to read the data.

I was just clarifying that some "chips" DO actually require one to actually open/physically modify the circuit, and some don't (such as Revo). It can be switched back to stock parameters in a few seconds through the OBD2 port. Like I said, I bet each tuner's software is proprietary (meaning that there is probably a little trademark floating around the data set somewhere, even if the settings (timing, boost, etc) are all "stock" numbers. In other words, I think the aftermarket tuners plagerize Audi stock tune, and copy/paste back to their tune, and there may be some evidence of this in the data set.
However, in my experience, a highly qualified RS6 technician was using the standard Audi engine diagnostic equipment to find out why my CEL was on. He saw nothing wrong, and was he looking for ECU-related issues. After discussing it a while, he chalked it up to cheap gas (is there such a thing anymore?) and it never happened again. I also never filled up at the no-name gas station again.

Your story would have been 100% different if your dealer were trying to claim 2 turbos or a transmission to either Audi or an extended warranty company.

We will continue to respectfully disagree on this issue. Hopefully, we'll never know the answer...;)

stubro
December 16th, 2008, 13:52
Ok I have a question. I did the Revo tryout last year and was impressed so now I am thinking about doing the install. If I do the base Revo software can I add the "Select plus" later or do I need to do it at install?
Also what else should I do? Diverter value and if so which one?

Also I did notice a difference in the tranny around shifts points and the response of the tip.

Also on the dealer front it all depends. My dealer is the one beggin to chip it. It all comes down to the individual behind the desk as service mgr and your relationship with Audi. I know they can always turn on you but you need to know who you are dealing with.

jtessman
December 16th, 2008, 14:14
Any firmware installed in the ECU/TCU has a unique digital signature or checksum. Luckily, with all the different models and varients it is usually a lengthy hunt in the shop to verify what the proper checksum should be so the techs seldom bother.

What I've always wanted was to install the RS6+ ECU code which was good for extra ponies. What worries me about the other code being offered by companies like Revo, APR, GIAC, etc... is that even for the modest 30hp improvement in the RS6+ the quattro guys added two additional engine cooling radiators (one each behind the intercoolers) to deal with the additional heat being created by running higher output. I've run mine at sustained high speed (>150+) out on empty roads in West Texas and New Mexico and it doesn't take long before all the guages climb into the red.

Spidercat
December 17th, 2008, 00:18
Any firmware installed in the ECU/TCU has a unique digital signature or checksum. Luckily, with all the different models and varients it is usually a lengthy hunt in the shop to verify what the proper checksum should be so the techs seldom bother.

What I've always wanted was to install the RS6+ ECU code which was good for extra ponies. What worries me about the other code being offered by companies like Revo, APR, GIAC, etc... is that even for the modest 30hp improvement in the RS6+ the quattro guys added two additional engine cooling radiators (one each behind the intercoolers) to deal with the additional heat being created by running higher output. I've run mine at sustained high speed (>150+) out on empty roads in West Texas and New Mexico and it doesn't take long before all the guages climb into the red.

Thanks for summing up in a cogent way what I was struggling with regarding the "checksum" data.

You also make a very valid point regarding the additional cooling given to the +, especially in the southwest US. I used to live in El Paso (about as west as you can get and still be in TX!) but the car wasn't chipped then, since there are no Audi dealers within 400 mi of El Paso :( and I really didn't want to be flying that kind of car without a net.

The heat's never been an issue out here for me even with the ECU mod. However, Tmax is about 25 degrees cooler here in the summer than the desert was, and second, there's very few places to actually open it up for any length of time. It's like keeping a dragon in a bird cage :cry: . Has anyone bought the additional radiator parts from an RS6+ and retrofitted to a standard RS6? Logically, I would think it would be pretty straightforward, but I bet it's not!

By the way, with Revo you can get the standard tune flashed to your car, then buy the select plus box later/separately. I think it's another $250 or $350. You just download the software to your PC, sinc your PC to the box, then plug the box into your car for a few seconds. Pretty straightforward.

jtessman
December 17th, 2008, 18:19
I have been very tempted to do mine now that the factory warranty has run out. I've been leaning towards the APR version which allows you to switch modes on the fly. The drawback is that they physically mod the ECU - probably swapping in a larger PROM so they can store multiple sets of maps simultaniously. They also have a kill function for ultimate security. Everything is coded via the turn signal stalk.

On the heat side - i've made a couple runs from the Grand Junction area to Houston. Plenty of room to stress test the ECU limiter between Pueblo and Wichita Falls. I've found I had be judicious with the loud pedal if for no other reason than gas stations are uncomfortably far apart once you start cruising well above the century mark. The guages start to run in the red after only about 20 minutes if you stay just below the limiter, even when the ambient temp isn't that high. Of course the GPS comes in handy just to make sure that the road stays straight and there is a gas station handy at the other end!

DuckWingDuck
December 17th, 2008, 22:59
I've read (on here!) that that APR stalk thing isn't as great as it sounds. The Revo control unit is just as good if not better. Anyway, as we've gone over and over again on these here boards, ultimately, personal choice. Probably can't go wrong either way. I would be a bit leery of actual physical ECU removal/replacement though... But that's just me.

snoopra
December 18th, 2008, 00:26
+1. I'm running APR R1 diverter valves and I wasn't satisfied with the service I received when I had to send them back for inspections (for mooing noise which is just a design defect). Many calls and several days later, I received my once new DV's without the original boxes, and one with an enormous scratch on top. I'm debating between REVO and the UK company CC (Custom-Code). Heck, if CC is good enough for Grizz, then it's gotta be good:thumb:

terrytcl
January 9th, 2009, 16:54
anyone know what the max boost level is with the revo?

i'm trying to make sure i have the right springs in my forge valves

thanks

Copper
January 9th, 2009, 21:08
With the custom settings via the REVO SelectPlus Software believe Max Boost= 20Lbs.

I'm running a mild 12Lbs Boost and it is plenty fast without causing any tranny strain.

I'm at work now and need to confirm this on my home laptop.

Sean

Yellow RS6
January 9th, 2009, 21:22
Wow, 20 psi? What kind of hp does that make? IIRC stock is .8 bar, which around 11.6 psi, right?

Copper
January 9th, 2009, 22:53
Here is a link to the SelectPlus3 User's Manual:

http://www.revotechnik.com/products/pdf/SPS3_advancedUserGuide060406.pdf

Correction, I am running 18Lbs (estimated) of boost on program #2. Which is setting #6.

I'm not sure of the actual boost on setting #9. 20lbs is a best guess based on the other settings.

I haven't tried going past #6 on boost yet.

DHall1
January 10th, 2009, 00:05
Copper,

I had no idea that REVO had all those sub-menu's.

I had not considered one of these in the past. That has just changed. I have a feeling we drive our cars very similar and hardly race around town.

Greg-are you reading. Please buy one of these with the programmer. You will not regret it.

Revo+Vag/Com=pure and safe power levels.

Here is a link to the SelectPlus3 User's Manual:

Correction, I am running 18Lbs (estimated) of boost on program #2. Which is setting #6.

I'm not sure of the actual boost on setting #9. 20lbs is a best guess based on the other settings.

I haven't tried going past #6 on boost yet.

DuckWingDuck
January 10th, 2009, 01:30
hahaha, ya, here's a slight update, I went and test drove an aston martin on a lark yesterday and I have to say, it is quite fun! Need a few more miles before I get that flash but I think revo is the winner for me if/when I get to it.

vangelis
January 10th, 2009, 02:54
hahaha, ya, here's a slight update, I went and test drove an aston martin on a lark yesterday and I have to say, it is quite fun! Need a few more miles before I get that flash but I think revo is the winner for me if/when I get to it.

Hi DWD,, you mean Revo is the winner comparing to MTM & ABT...etc?? Is it really that good to be considered?? I have an authorized dealer for Revo here and I can get a good price if it deserve to clear my ABT map and apply Revo!! Is it include a TCU flash as well??

DuckWingDuck
January 10th, 2009, 07:18
no, as far as i'm aware, MTM is the only that has a TCU flash (full disclosure: haven't really done my homework on this part) but all indication leads me to the conclusion that Revo is the most preferred ecu flash. We've had too many discussion about which is best and ultimately everyone will decide that for themselves but for my money, I am certainly leaning towards revo.

Copper
January 11th, 2009, 18:38
Once I get my DRC sorted out then I will start to "play" around with the custom Revo settings and get an idea of which work best. Your Revo dealer should program the car on a dyno and determine the best optimal settings for Progams #1-3 (for me Program #2 is best) based on your fuel availability and driving habits. I am going to take the Program #2 settings as a baseline then modify User Program A (custom settings) enter #2 settings then start to bump boost, timing, fuel etc. I just have to find a time to get to the track with a laptop. For me I'm looking to operate with 93 octane fuel, and a bump in boost to say #8 and timing to about #7. We'll see if I can get a short term "fun setting - A" for the weekend drives and take it back to Program #2 for daily driver mode.

I recently had a friend with me and a heavily modded 350Z (new style) was in the other left turn lane (it was a double left turn) that leads to about 1/2 mile stretch then dead-ends before turning right into his office complex. The guy was revving that Z like a madman. I don't fall into these traps usually (left turn race? Come on) but my buddy drives a MazdaSpeed 6 and wanted to see what my RS6 could do in race conditions. Dropping to "S", I can tell you with Revo Program #2 alone ALL 4 wheels shuddered to handle the power as we slide through the left turn and was so gone I could not even see the Z behind us. My point is that with a mild ECU modification this car is very, very fast. You get used to it puttering around town then one day an opportunity to open up the RS6 presents itself and I go "whoa, this car is fast, seriously fast".

My last car was a 993TT very modified and I thought THAT car was fast... I'm sure the 997TT is quicker but yeah well anyway. I'm still loving my RS6. I can't imagine the new RS6 with some tuning. I'd poop my pants if the same race presented itself with that car...

vangelis
January 11th, 2009, 22:52
Once I get my DRC sorted out then I will start to "play" around with the custom Revo settings and get an idea of which work best. Your Revo dealer should program the car on a dyno and determine the best optimal settings for Progams #1-3 (for me Program #2 is best) based on your fuel availability and driving habits. I am going to take the Program #2 settings as a baseline then modify User Program A (custom settings) enter #2 settings then start to bump boost, timing, fuel etc. I just have to find a time to get to the track with a laptop. For me I'm looking to operate with 93 octane fuel, and a bump in boost to say #8 and timing to about #7. We'll see if I can get a short term "fun setting - A" for the weekend drives and take it back to Program #2 for daily driver mode.

I recently had a friend with me and a heavily modded 350Z (new style) was in the other left turn lane (it was a double left turn) that leads to about 1/2 mile stretch then dead-ends before turning right into his office complex. The guy was revving that Z like a madman. I don't fall into these traps usually (left turn race? Come on) but my buddy drives a MazdaSpeed 6 and wanted to see what my RS6 could do in race conditions. Dropping to "S", I can tell you with Revo Program #2 alone ALL 4 wheels shuddered to handle the power as we slide through the left turn and was so gone I could not even see the Z behind us. My point is that with a mild ECU modification this car is very, very fast. You get used to it puttering around town then one day an opportunity to open up the RS6 presents itself and I go "whoa, this car is fast, seriously fast".

My last car was a 993TT very modified and I thought THAT car was fast... I'm sure the 997TT is quicker but yeah well anyway. I'm still loving my RS6. I can't imagine the new RS6 with some tuning. I'd poop my pants if the same race presented itself with that car...

sounds sooo cool,, so do u recommend overwrite ABT flash by Revo?? I like the idea of having option to select from different programs and modify custom settings,, as an IT guy that will be easy for me but after understanding well all that & how each option work and affect performance. Is there any link explaining these settings (bump boost, timing, fuel... etc)??

DuckWingDuck
January 11th, 2009, 23:10
I think the revo software got some explanation.

DHall1
January 12th, 2009, 02:29
Your killing me here. Stop telling the kill stores. :cheers:

Your plan to tap into fine tune on the Revo is spot on. Good luck.

Copper
January 12th, 2009, 17:27
Vangelis, here is the link I posted earlier:

http://www.revotechnik.com/products/...uide060406.pdf

As you can see, it is pretty detailed. You really have to dig deep to undertand what each setting number equals (boost, fuel, timing) but Revo tried to simplify the settings to allow for non-technical users to program the ECU. Your dealer will be able to explain all this as well. I used Kinetic Motorsports here in Atlanta, Georgia.

They performed most of the modifications to my Porsche as well and they specialize in aftermarket tuning but are mostly a race car build company. You can lease an entire race team including the car, crew, trailer and gear for a season or leave your race car at the shop and they will trailer it directly to your race event with a crew of mechanics and also maintain the car. Kind of a cool concept.

Of course, these guys are trying to get me to leave my RS6 with them and upgrade the transmission, install downpipes, upgrade the turbos, add another intercooler, upgrade the exhaust "680HP and 700ft lbs easy with simple bolt ons...." Yeah and $15-$20K I'm sure. This is the wrong car to do all that with. The platform is too heavy. It's my daily driver. Still, they liked what they saw in the RS6 for the short period of time they had it. "It's a real bitch to dyno". Yeah, no doubt.

vangelis
January 12th, 2009, 20:12
Vangelis, here is the link I posted earlier:

http://www.revotechnik.com/products/...uide060406.pdf

As you can see, it is pretty detailed. You really have to dig deep to undertand what each setting number equals (boost, fuel, timing) but Revo tried to simplify the settings to allow for non-technical users to program the ECU. Your dealer will be able to explain all this as well. I used Kinetic Motorsports here in Atlanta, Georgia.

They performed most of the modifications to my Porsche as well and they specialize in aftermarket tuning but are mostly a race car build company. You can lease an entire race team including the car, crew, trailer and gear for a season or leave your race car at the shop and they will trailer it directly to your race event with a crew of mechanics and also maintain the car. Kind of a cool concept.

Of course, these guys are trying to get me to leave my RS6 with them and upgrade the transmission, install downpipes, upgrade the turbos, add another intercooler, upgrade the exhaust "680HP and 700ft lbs easy with simple bolt ons...." Yeah and $15-$20K I'm sure. This is the wrong car to do all that with. The platform is too heavy. It's my daily driver. Still, they liked what they saw in the RS6 for the short period of time they had it. "It's a real bitch to dyno". Yeah, no doubt.

Thanks Copper so much,, could you please double check this link again as a I can't get the attached file.

Copper
January 12th, 2009, 22:01
Sorry, the whole link didn't make it through.

Here it is:

Spidercat
January 15th, 2009, 23:25

Arrrgghhhh!
You, sir, are a jinx!
I can now say with certainty that the above statement is 100% wrong.

Right after I replied to you previously about this (something like "We'll continue to disagree, hopefully we'll never find out"), I got a CEL, and a bad feeling. Audi buddy w/VAGCOM confirmed the bad feeling: torque converter failure. Oh, boy! Here we go...:cry:

Turned Revo to stock, brought it to the dealer the next day, they got the same code (of course). My SA already know's I'm Revo'd per earlier thread. I got a loaner, and the SA said he'd here from the warranty Co. by next week (of course it was a Friday!). He finally called me on Christmas eve and said "What if I were to tell you that the warranty Co found out you're car is chipped and they are denying the claim?" He left me hang for a long pause, and then he said, "Just kidding! We ordered the parts and your car will be done a few days after we get them." I was like, "That was a good one you effen effer! Merry Christmas to you, too!" My relief was short-lived, however. He went on to tell me that unfortunately, the warranty wouldn't pick up the entire tab (they only reimburse a fixed labor rate, and Audi svc's is higher, and the parts cost a little more, due to the shipping costs, etc., so I had to pay a couple grand out-of-pocket (there went my down-pipe swap-while-the-engine-was-out hopes). They also found that a control arm needed replacement, which had to then be ordered, blah, blah. I asked them about any routine maintenance item to keep me out of trouble later that soem have talked about (o2, egt sensors, timing belt, etc.) He said all was well with the mechanical stuff and the other tranny parts looked fine, and he wouldn't recommend replacing any items that weren't broken, so we left it at that.

By the way, he tells me that there have been technical bulletins about the TCs on RS6s, and the replacement has been "upgraded" by Audi. Not sure, just going on his word here...Anyway, car's fine and warranty co paid a boatload for it (Thank God). Between this and the DRC, that warranty paid for itself many, many times over!:deal:

BTW, regarding Revo settings above, I use the same SPS box for both my car and my wife's 1.8T A4. Given Boost=B, Timing=T, Fuel=F; each can be changed from either 0 or 1 to 9. I always leave the B & F @ 9---the lower boost numbers are in the other presets, and it seems the F just refers to fuel "quality" or something, but not the octane.

My programmable variable settings I choose are:
A. B-9, T-3, F-9 (Supreme unleaded):)
B. B-9, T-6, F-9 (fifty-fifty mix of above and below):burnout:
C. B-9, T-9, F-9 (100+ octane race fuel):MTM:
(And no, before anyone shoots daggers, I didn't use a dyno while choosing these parameters (just the butt dyno), so I really don't care--I don't live in a perfect world.)

I leave the A4 on setting "A" and the RS6 on "B" for the most part. Setting "C" is for when I need a little "pick-me-up!" As far as why I keep the boost at 9, I can feel a HUGE difference on the A4, not so much on the RS6 (but it's there), so I just keep it on 9. Does this shorten the turbo life? Don't care. Plan is to get a GT28RS BT on the A4, so not so concerned. From what I hear, the RS6 turbos themselves can handle more boost than the Revo can dish out provided you warm-up/cool-down properly, so not too worried, either. Just don't jinx me Cousin Oliver!!!;)

(Sorry about the long post, but I didn't want to write until the bills were paid and the car was safely back in my clutches! Ya never know who reads these threads...)

mmaturo
January 16th, 2009, 03:42
Arrrgghhhh!
You, sir, are a jinx!

Right after I replied to you previously about this (something like "We'll continue to disagree, hopefully we'll never find out"), I got a CEL, and a bad feeling. Audi buddy w/VAGCOM confirmed the bad feeling: torque converter failure. Oh, boy! Here we go...:cry:

Turned Revo to stock, brought it to the dealer the next day, they got the same code (of course). My SA already know's I'm Revo'd per earlier thread. I got a loaner, and the SA said he'd here from the warranty Co. by next week (of course it was a Friday!). He finally called me on Christmas eve and said "What if I were to tell you that the warranty Co found out you're car is chipped and they are denying the claim?" He left me hang for a long pause, and then he said, "Just kidding! We ordered the parts and your car will be done a few days after we get them." I was like, "That was a good one you effen effer! Merry Christmas to you, too!" My relief was short-lived, however. He went on to tell me that unfortunately, the warranty wouldn't pick up the entire tab (they only reimburse a fixed labor rate, and Audi svc's is higher, and the parts cost a little more, due to the shipping costs, etc., so I had to pay a couple grand out-of-pocket (there went my down-pipe swap-while-the-engine-was-out hopes). They also found that a control arm needed replacement, which had to then be ordered, blah, blah. I asked them about any routine maintenance item to keep me out of trouble later that soem have talked about (o2, egt sensors, timing belt, etc.) He said all was well with the mechanical stuff and the other tranny parts looked fine, and he wouldn't recommend replacing any items that weren't broken, so we left it at that.

By the way, he tells me that there have been technical bulletins about the TCs on RS6s, and the replacement has been "upgraded" by Audi. Not sure, just going on his word here...Anyway, car's fine and warranty co paid a boatload for it (Thank God). Between this and the DRC, that warranty paid for itself many, many times over!:deal:

BTW, regarding Revo settings above, I use the same SPS box for both my car and my wife's 1.8T A4. Given Boost=B, Timing=T, Fuel=F; each can be changed from either 0 or 1 to 9. I always leave the B & F @ 9---the lower boost numbers are in the other presets, and it seems the F just refers to fuel "quality" or something, but not the octane.

(And no, before anyone shoots daggers, I didn't use a dyno while choosing these parameters (just the butt dyno), so I really don't care--I don't live in a perfect world.)

I leave the A4 on setting "A" and the RS6 on "B" for the most part. Setting "C" is for when I need a little "pick-me-up!" As far as why I keep the boost at 9, I can feel a HUGE difference on the A4, not so much on the RS6 (but it's there), so I just keep it on 9. Does this shorten the turbo life? Don't care. Plan is to get a GT28RS BT on the A4, so not so concerned. From what I hear, the RS6 turbos themselves can handle more boost than the Revo can dish out provided you warm-up/cool-down properly, so not too worried, either. Just don't jinx me Cousin Oliver!!!;)

(Sorry about the long post, but I didn't want to write until the bills were paid and the car was safely back in my clutches! Ya never know who reads these threads...)

Wow. Glad most was covered...as i am lazy at the moment in re-reading did you do any TCU upgrade with the Revo? I want to do the Revo having had good luck in the past on other Audi's with it but terrified here for this exact reason as i am on tranny 2 and TC 3 all stock. But i will do it out of warranty when i get around to it so more worried about transmission health.

DuckWingDuck
January 16th, 2009, 03:52
Spider did his TCU with MTM months before he did the Revo.

mmaturo
January 16th, 2009, 05:01

Thanks DWD...weeeeellll me thinks i stay stock still and continue to look forward to the R8 or RS5. Not blowing up an 8K tranny/TC when my warranty is gone in June.

-cross reference my 4000 posts on Audiworld.com via MARKNMTT that all say NEVER own an RS6 without an extended warranty...me about to break rule #1 in 6 months-

DuckWingDuck
January 16th, 2009, 05:19
lol, mine runs out in Sept. but plan on getting a new transmission, engine, and turbo before then. Probably should chip it soon to see if I should move on.

I would say chip the TCU if nothing else, that may help protect your transmission!

DHall1
January 16th, 2009, 05:22
For you it worked out. Also having checked into Revo alittle further. I would recommend the Revo and may actually do it myself.

All in all, this is a very informative post. Lots of good information in there. Glad it worked out.

Arrrgghhhh!
You, sir, are a jinx!

DHall1
January 16th, 2009, 05:25
Would you consider buying another extended warranty? IMHO its by far cheaper than dealing with those crack dealers at the dealer. R8s will be 75k in three years. I can wait.

Just a thought. The value of these are dropping like a rock. May as well run the thing into the ground. Many Audi dealers are happy to sell a Fidelity policy even if your well past factory warranty.

Then Revo the thing and have some fun.

:dig:

Thanks DWD...weeeeellll me thinks i stay stock still and continue to look forward to the R8 or RS5. Not blowing up an 8K tranny/TC when my warranty is gone in June.

-cross reference my 4000 posts on Audiworld.com via MARKNMTT that all say NEVER own an RS6 without an extended warranty...me about to break rule #1 in 6 months-

DHall1
January 16th, 2009, 05:57
Greg,

Why not just buy another extended warranty policy? It will be hard to blow up all that stuff in 9 months. Your out of town for half that time.

lol, mine runs out in Sept. but plan on getting a new transmission, engine, and turbo before then. Probably should chip it soon to see if I should move on.

I would say chip the TCU if nothing else, that may help protect your transmission!

DuckWingDuck
January 16th, 2009, 06:02
or just buy a spare and drive that when your chipped car goes to hell

DuckWingDuck
January 16th, 2009, 06:10
Greg,

Why not just buy another extended warranty policy? It will be hard to blow up all that stuff in 9 months. Your out of town for half that time.

Ya, I'm thinking about it, Audi is easier to fool than Fidelity though ;D Ultimately, not 100% sure I am keeping the car, I'll send you an email in the morning.

Spidercat
January 21st, 2009, 00:27

Actually, did the Revo ECU several months before I did the MTM TCU (got the TCU module pulled & sent to MTM while getting the DRC done the first time, since I had time to kill). All in all, I'm still very happy w/the Revo ECU and the MTM TCU. Trans definitely shifts faster (but unfortunately not as fast as the loner A3 6-speed auto :asian: ) That was even faster, believe it or not. I think the closer ratio of the 6 speed helps a lot, too. Then again, with ~500 lb-ft of torque, I bet I could live comforatbly with only 4 gears! Still, though, 6 would be nicer...
And I wish the Revo boost would go to 11...

By the way, my SA said that the torque converter failure is a crap shoot and probably had nothing to do with the TCU/ECU mods, FWIW. He said that my transmission internals looked great (at least what they could see) when the trans was out, and that Audi put out a tech. svc. bulletin regarding the old TC and its crapitude. He said that they had done this (TC exchange) on one other RS6 that wasn't chipped, so who knows. Seems like it's hit-or-miss looking at old posts re:transmission problems and whether the car was stock or not.

BTW, Duck, are you really considering ditching the Beast? Nooooooo......

snoopra
January 21st, 2009, 05:51
Finally took her out for a run today with the new MTM TCU. WOW, quicker smoother shifts. Can't wait for REVO and IPT.

DuckWingDuck
January 22nd, 2009, 22:20
Actually, did the Revo ECU several months before I did the MTM TCU (got the TCU module pulled & sent to MTM while getting the DRC done the first time, since I had time to kill). All in all, I'm still very happy w/the Revo ECU and the MTM TCU. Trans definitely shifts faster (but unfortunately not as fast as the loner A3 6-speed auto :asian: ) That was even faster, believe it or not. I think the closer ratio of the 6 speed helps a lot, too. Then again, with ~500 lb-ft of torque, I bet I could live comforatbly with only 4 gears! Still, though, 6 would be nicer...
And I wish the Revo boost would go to 11...

Haha, my bad on the timing! I will agree wholeheartedly on the A3, when I got it as a loaner, I enjoyed immensely! Much moreso than that crappy A4 that I got on another occasion....

By the way, my SA said that the torque converter failure is a crap shoot and probably had nothing to do with the TCU/ECU mods, FWIW. He said that my transmission internals looked great (at least what they could see) when the trans was out, and that Audi put out a tech. svc. bulletin regarding the old TC and its crapitude. He said that they had done this (TC exchange) on one other RS6 that wasn't chipped, so who knows. Seems like it's hit-or-miss looking at old posts re:transmission problems and whether the car was stock or not.

Ya, as so many have mentioned here, the transmission for this car is simply not up to par even for the stock engine outputs. That said, I don't actually know anyone locally whose had their transmission knocked out. I suppose I could ask my service advisor.

BTW, Duck, are you really considering ditching the Beast? Nooooooo......

Well, when I first started looking at and playing around with the Vantage, I thought that it was an eminently drivable car, very much a daily driver and I had some misunderstanding about operating costs which made me thought that the Vantage would be a daily driver and therefore I couldn't really justify keeping both an Aston Martin and the RS6. However, the issues have been clarified and pretty much everyone I talk to says that if/when I flash my ECU/TCU, the difference will be so dramatic that I will fall in love with the RS6 all over again.

Nevertheless, the hunt for a second fun non-daily driver continues. And if I am able to find an excellent example of a Vantage for good value, I may still get one.

Spidercat
January 23rd, 2009, 00:40
However, the issues have been clarified and pretty much everyone I talk to says that if/when I flash my ECU/TCU, the difference will be so dramatic that I will fall in love with the RS6 all over again.

+1
(unless I was already counted among those!)

Just TRY the 30-day flash! I think it's free and reverts back to stock if you don't decide to buy it after 30 days.

Unless, of course, you're, ah, ...chicken:bye2:
Bwawk, bwawk, bwawk! (or WTF chicken's say)

Seriously, you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner! Think of all the opportunity costs for the fun you NOT having right now with (only) 450 bhp.

p3u
January 23rd, 2009, 00:51
I did the free trial, it was 5 hours of driving time and it seemed to work some magic!

You don't think that ~60hp and ~100ft/lbs would make a huge difference on what it already has, but with it OMG! :wo:

I can't wait to purchase Revo!