PDA

View Full Version : Michelin PS2's versus Pirelli P-Zeros (aptly named)

KfabR8
October 8th, 2008, 16:36
My R8 came w/Pirelli P-Zeros. Check these pix of the chunking and tread wear.

Pix are of both rears - fronts had some chunking and about 1/3rd of the tread left. For the record, the wear strips in the rears were not quite touching yet either - very, very close - say .015" or so.

http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC01084.JPG

http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC0108.JPGhttp://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC01085.JPG

http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC01086.JPG

Yes, I've abused them, but come on...

I've had the car since June 4th and it had 11447 miles when I pulled them off yesterday.

http://www.yellowdogracing.com/Audi/DSC01096.JPG

Compared to the PS2s the Zeros are aptly named.

I only have about 80 miles on the P2s so far. Spirited drive down a nice twisty road last night and then highway cruising for about 35 miles. Came back home this morning in the rain over the same 35 miles.

Initial impressions on the PS2s are:
A) Quieter on the road
2) Don't scream out loud approaching the limit (I've not pushed over the limit - yet)
III) Work so much better it's surprising.

The trip down the local twisty last night gave me a good idea on how they worked pretty quickly. Sticky, great feedback, sticky, better turn in - no more front end push at turn in, sticky, oh and did I mention they stick like glue?

What really showed me as to just how much better the PS2s are was on a clover leaf that I like to run.

W/the Zeros, I could run right around 65-67 mph through the apex area of the turn. The tires would scream and the car squirmed a lot. The tires were right at the limit.

First time through the corner on the PS2s last night and 68 mph was not even beginning to push the limits. The tires were barely making any noise and were stuck like glue. I'm guessing that 73 or so at the apex is probably very realistic.

Unfortunately it's raining here for the next couple of days, so I won't get any more performance testing, but I'll learn how they do in the wet.

The only bummer is that now I have to be good and not do donuts in the parking lot anymore. I'll not purposely abuse the PS2s, as I would like them to hang around a while. The P-Zeros needed to go from the first time I drove the car aggressively. At least it didn't come with Dunflops like my RS6 did! :applause:

KresoF1
October 8th, 2008, 20:10
Sorry to say this but, some thing was apparently very wrong with your first P Zero R01. Why? I also own R8 and my experince is excellent.

Second thing is that Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 is actually not so good tire as P Zero according to my friend who works for quattro Gmbh.

BTW, did you know that only three tires are approved by Audi for R8?

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Front: 235/35ZR19 R01 (Audi)/Rear: 295/30ZR19 R01 (Audi)
Pirelli P Zero Rear: 295/30ZR19 R01 (Audi)/Rear: 295/30ZR19 R01 (Audi)
and
Pirelli P Zero Corsa System in same size

ONLY 305/30ZR19 aproved rears are Pirelli P Zero R01.

Are your new PS2 with R01 signature and specs? If they are not...

India Whiskey Charlie
October 8th, 2008, 20:43
While I don't own an R8, I have run dozens of P-Zero tires on several Porsche's and am running a set on my currently owned RS4. I have never had chuncking problems except when I drove the cars on the track. While there is nothing wrong with the PS2, the P-Zero is a phenomenal tire with excellent dry or wet grip, great comfort and relatively long tread life. That's strictly based on my experience, you mileage may vary (as it seems it already has).

jasaretta
October 8th, 2008, 22:12
LOL do you think the donuts might have anything to do with it ;)

I'm the same as Viken - never had an issue with the PZeros....not doubting your experience or the PS2's.

RXBG
October 9th, 2008, 01:51
good post. i was in a test R8 while they tested some yokohamas that were bidding to be OEM last year. what fun.... no, they didn't do too well.

kfab. are you comparing the ps2's to the pirellis at the same early mileage period?

this is an important post. i will be due for new ones in a few months. perhaps the pirellis are designed to scream at the limit to let you know what is going on. ps2's were great in my TT. i'd like to know what they say at the limit in your car.(in a safe attempt of course)- a good tire should give some decent aural warning before they brake away. i'll check back.

the pirelli chunking may have been due to some unknown incident. the location of the chunks are unusual. they usually chunk in the outer edges or shoulders- i.e. track events.

KfabR8
October 9th, 2008, 15:41
LOL do you think the donuts might have anything to do with it ;)LOL - Like I said right off the start, I abused these tires. I wouldn't doubt one bit that there may be a connection. I was still quite surprised to see the chunks missing, though.

good post. i was in a test R8 while they tested some yokohamas that were bidding to be OEM last year. what fun.... no, they didn't do too well.

kfab. are you comparing the ps2's to the pirellis at the same early mileage period?

this is an important post. i will be due for new ones in a few months. perhaps the pirellis are designed to scream at the limit to let you know what is going on. ps2's were great in my TT. i'd like to know what they say at the limit in your car.(in a safe attempt of course)- a good tire should give some decent aural warning before they brake away. i'll check back.

the pirelli chunking may have been due to some unknown incident. the location of the chunks are unusual. they usually chunk in the outer edges or shoulders- i.e. track events.

Very valid point - the mileage is very different - new versus worn completely out.

Being that my R8 is my daily driver, I'm really familiar with the majority of corners around the area. I've noticed a dramatic degradation in handling over the past couple of months from the Zeros. I also still recall fairly well how the car worked when I first got it too. (it's only been a few months ago)

Still, they were never on par with what I'm feeling w/the PS2s. The PS's just have so much more initial bite and don't seem to let the slide sneak in like the Zeros always did. The Zeros were always easy to toss into a slide/drift. The PS2s, so far, don't try to drift anywhere as quickly.
Still not pushed over the edge yet. Weather's supposed to be nice this afternoon and I have a favorite clover leaf near my shop that I'm wanting to attack.

I got the four wheel drift down pat through the corner w/the old tires, so it will be a tell tale run when I get the chance. - I really want to get pix of the car drifting through this one - it has to look quite similar to Jeremy sliding across the tarmac in the Top Gear episode. :dig:

By the way - I'm not wanting to argue or start any sort of flame war between the Zeros and the PS2's and what's best on the car. I'm just sharing what I've seen and what I feel.

I've had experiences with older Pirellis on an old 928 GTS, newer P-Zeros on my buddy's 993 and they all have the same brick/slick feeling. I've also had Bridgestone and Michelin sneakers on the 928, and my RS6, so I've had more than a couple comparisons on vehicles that I'm extremely familiar with.

Just as with the other vehicles and now the R8, everything I've experienced says that the Michelin is a better tire for me.

RXBG
October 9th, 2008, 15:55
kfab-

my exp with ps2's is that they are very grippy and hate to let go. once they do let go they do so quickly. the pirellis are less grippy perhaps but are more progressive when they let go. it is a matter of style and preference.

KfabR8
October 9th, 2008, 21:49
The PS2s do seem to do this.

I got fairly sideways this afternoon through my favorite little clover leaf. The release from grip to slip is quite drastic and it sort of grab/releases/grabs/releases* at the limit before they slide. They do slide predictably, just drastic in transition.

The Zeros were much more progressive in letting go. Just sort of fall off the edge and go away.

*I need to check my air pressure - the tires feel a tad soft.