PDA

View Full Version : R&T comparo (in case some missed it earllier)

JP4
July 26th, 2003, 13:02
Road & Tracks Comparo of RS6, M5, E55, Jag (http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=594&page_number=1&preview=)

:deal:

steve
July 26th, 2003, 13:28
In my opinion the RS6 wins... Its just because of the price he doesn't finishes first. So AS A CAR he is the best

Do buyers of such cars really care that much about the price difference???

JP4
July 26th, 2003, 13:33
Originally posted by steve
Do buyers of such cars really care that much about the price difference???

Some do! That's why I think it's so good the R&T actually breaks out that part of the equation. Most others factor the price into the mix where you can't see it and IMHO that really muddies the water for those of us that just want the raw comparision data...albeit some of it being subjective i.e. ride quality.

Anyway...I agree with you...Audi WINS! :cheers:

Bauer
July 26th, 2003, 16:58
Two(Wolfkill and Knott) of the four testers wrote in the "in my opnion" section that the choice was "easy"...the RS6 and Steven Millen wrote that he would chose the E55 but would "love" to borrower the RS6 for the Targa Rally. Oh by the way the associate art director loved the M5. I think that this just goes to show that the RS6 is the drivers car of the group.....or Millen(former race car driver) would of wanted to borrower a different car.

Bauer
01 S8
92 S4
03 RS6 ordered

Finnus
July 27th, 2003, 21:08
Great article! I agree, the Beast comes out on top, subjectively and objectively. With price not factored in, RS 6 wins (although, the points are so close its a virtual tie). It's the drivers opinions that breaks the tie and puts the RS6 on top.

Regarding the price differential, I have a sample window sticker for the E55 and it doesn't come with some of the standard features on the RS6. Therefore, the price differential isn't as great as it seems.

Also, if they're really trying to make an "apples to apples" comparison, why don't they take the Quattro/lack thereof into account? What would the E55 cost with MB's [inferior] 4-matic?

Anyway you cut it, they're all great cars!

I think I need to go for a drive!

Finnus :cheers:

:addict: :addict: :addict:

Finnus
July 28th, 2003, 01:40
Also, look at the categories where the RS6 rated BEST (Beast)

slalom, skidpad, breaking 80-0, driving excitement, gearbox,
brakes, handling, exterior styling, ergonomics/controls

or next best

0-60, 0-1/4 mile, breaking 60-0, steering,
seats (in spite of no Recaro!)

Aren't these the reasons you bought the car? Not to mention its exclusivity!!!

Finnus

Benman
July 28th, 2003, 15:31
well said Finnus:D i must have read that (and every other )comparision test of the RS 6 TEN TIMES, and in the end the price difference (like you said) is not 100% accurate. besides, with SO many things that the RS 6 wins and practically all the rest 2nd place the RS 6 just wins over the R&T staff (and us!). it is the drivers car of the bunch:cheers:

Ben:addict: (one more month)

avdh
July 28th, 2003, 16:14
Interesting, in South Africa the E55 is US $ 8000 more expensive than the RS6 projected price!

As for the article.... The RS6 got 20 points for "Driving Excitement" (what else would you buy a car like this for?) and 20 points for handling, so as far as I am concernied, it's a clear win for the RS6!