PDA

View Full Version : Mixed review about performance

Bigglezworth
October 1st, 2008, 00:46
I'm now almost a full month into new ownership of an RS6 and I can honestly say I have mixed reviews about the performance. Once day the car is fantastic. The next it's blah. Temperature has remained relatively the same (20 deg C) so it's not a situation where the car is experiencing massive heat soak. My CEL came on the first week into ownership and pimped out PO491 and PO492 errors. Did a quick search on the net and came across a post where it was the air system that likely had a broken vacuum hose. This was the case for me and aside from the PITA effort to get the air cleaner assembly off repaired the line, cleared the code and all was well.

One week to the day later and yet again another CEL. This time it's the same two PO491 and PO492 codes, but also a PO441 and PO741 code also. Gas cap is just fine so it's something else to do with the EEC system. The PO741 is troubling. Not sure where this comes into the picture. I cleared the codes and nothing has come back for the past 48 hours. I'm not what I would call an expert with automotive electronics especially when it's an ECU in discussion, but wouldn't you expect to see the code reappear almost immediately if in fact the part was faulty? I wouldn't expect the ECU to somehow intentionally retard the performance if it's not throwing a specific code.

Further to what I see as on again off again performance characteristics I notice that the kick-down doesn't always respond in the same fashion depending on the time of day. At one moment the kick down is exhilerating and puts you back in the seat when the RPM quickly revs to 4500 and up. Other times you can't get the lower gear and instead of picking up in first or second are using third which feels like the engine is bogging out.

Anyway, I can fully appreciate this is a technically complex motor and comes with a host of things that can and will go wrong. Just a little frustrated that things aren't consistent to enable a more ready diagnosis.

Tim

DHall1
October 1st, 2008, 02:50
I can only think one thing.

VAG-COM or take the car into the dealer for a performance eval. At least the VAG will allow you to play and watch some of the settings. VAG will show realtime boost, timing, fuel, O2 sensor readings, ect....that should help tons.

Some of your descriptions point to trans. oh

Tim,

BTW, can you post some specifics on your car. I know you just got it and it has some miles...

If you do not know the service history, I would start with maint items....plugs, fuel filter, ect....

DuckWingDuck
October 1st, 2008, 04:07
well, to add to what Dave mentioned, all I can say is, the RS6 that he and I rode in at the West Covina dealership also didn't perform like an RS6 should. So maybe there is some deeper issue?

DHall1
October 1st, 2008, 04:24
This is true. Quite interesting really.

From a tuning standpoint and ECU mapping tables. I can explain the below situation by saying the following..

1. What if the dealer put in cheap gas? Or the car has been sitting 3 months on the lot? Octane is down...
2. You jump in the car and expect WOT performance at the drop of the hammer.
3. Not going to happen. Knock will be detected by the ECU and slammo goes the mapping for the agressive ignition timing.
4. You just lost 75hp.
5. Ok, so you say what if the dealer then put in good gas. Well, ECU mapping does not quickly forget a knock detection. That value is stored in long term fuel/timing mapping and will take several tanks and 100s of miles to get cleared.

End of story.

I can say my "new" RS6 is fast even at 9600ft elevation. This car runs perfect

well, to add to what Dave mentioned, all I can say is, the RS6 that he and I rode in at the West Covina dealership also didn't perform like an RS6 should. So maybe there is some deeper issue?

Bigglezworth
October 1st, 2008, 04:26
I'll let you know as I find out more. Like I said the car has been fantastic at times and then other times lack lustre. It's my experience that bad plugs, fuel filters, etc., perform bad all the time regardless and not sporatic. I am currently sourcing a VAG-COM via a Canadian dealer who currently has no stock on the Key-COM unit. I can order the Key-USB, but personally would prefer the COM model. I have no doubt this will prove to be a significant improvement over the OBCII scan tool I currently own which likely isn't picking up all the stuff accurately from the blasted Audi/VW specific software. Not overly concerned about any one particular thing just yet as there is nothing that suggests any sort of bad apple here. :)

Tim

PS I've always run premium and even add octane boost to my rides for that extra bit of bite. :)

Benman
October 1st, 2008, 19:11
Tim

PS I've always run premium and even add octane boost to my rides for that extra bit of bite. :)

Tim,

Very discouraging news, sorry to hear mate. With a purchase like this, completely frustrating... reminds me of MkI owners DCR issues. Keep us posted. :cheers:

Ben:addict:

peiserg
October 2nd, 2008, 06:44
dont' know what to tell you, but my rs6 acts about the same. but more often then not, it's "beastacular" vs "craptacular" so I can handle it. I did notice... when i put in the aquamist intercooler sprayer, it made a huuuuge difference in performance variability....

hahnmgh63
October 2nd, 2008, 15:14
Mouse might be a little far fetched but I think my problem is the tranny (most likely TQ) slipping. I think the engine is trying but the tranny doesn't always let it get the power down. I'm always easy on my car until I warm it up for 5~10 miles of easy driving (at least 1 or 2 minute warm up idle). It then seems to run real strong until the motor and/or tranny get real hot after a lot of driving. MGH