PDA

View Full Version : Best Tire or Tyre for the 03 RS6

Texas RS6
September 30th, 2008, 15:54
I have read several threads on this, but I was told by the original owner of my car that the only tire (tyre) that will last and perform on this car is the factory style Dunlops.

My personal experience with other cars and performance has been the Michelin. I plan to buy a new set of PS2 soon. They are one of the more expensive, but I was so very unhappy with the last set Pirellis I took them off and traded out for the Michelins.

CornersWell
September 30th, 2008, 16:53
My car came stock with the Pirelli PZeros. I have had reasonably good performance and wear with them. Currently, though, I'm using an aftermarket wheel (Sportec Mono 10s in 20x9 size) with Bridgestone Pole Positions. So far so good, too.

CW

DuckWingDuck
September 30th, 2008, 18:40
PS2s are well loved; I liked my Toyo Proxes; the Bridgestone RE-050A Pole Position are tyres that kfabr8 and I are currently running and I think we both like them.

jbtexas
September 30th, 2008, 19:11
I like the PS2

mmaturo
September 30th, 2008, 19:24
I like the PS2

Ditto...on my third set on the RS6...I gave away a set of Pirellis that were on a second set of RS6 wheels I bought and also ditched the Dunlops that came on mine. The PS2s handle better in both wet and dry than either of the others. I got 16K miles out of the last set. The camber on these cars really eats up the inner edge of the tire quicker than the rest of it, otherwise they could go longer. Which for those of you that are new to the RS6 need to pay attention to. Its hard to see the inner edge and plenty of us didn't realize we were down to the threads.

hahnmgh63
September 30th, 2008, 20:05
They seem to be slightly quieter than the Michelin's and are much better in the wet and about the same in the dry. No matter which brand you go with, make sure the tire is 'XL' load rated, this is Audi specified, as obviously, our cars are quite heavy. MGH

Boosted-Bora
September 30th, 2008, 21:54
PS2 Like we talked about earlier

KfabR8
September 30th, 2008, 22:37
I will be putting Michelin PS2's on mine when the Bridgestones that are currently on it are done.

Pirellis - if they're anything like the slugs on my R8, are bricks. They work well, but they lack feel, they don't give you much notice at the edge and the drop away very quickly once they let go. Once they start to slide, they're even less feeling in feedback and they don't like to catch very well. They'll just suddenly gain traction again, sort of snapping the chassis when they do.

Wet weather w/the Pirellis is like ice skating. Only the Dunflops are worse.

Dunflops - STAY AWAY!!!! True POS tires. I can not say ANYTHING nice about these things. They flat spot if you leave the car sitting for a few days, they absolutely SUCK in wet weather, they don't have very high traction ability, they just suddenly let go and they never try to catch back. Once you're sliding, hang on for the ride.

Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position - Great tires. Bang for the buck, compared to the Michelin MX3's that I replaced (Not run PS2's yet - set for the R8 is in transit) they are almost the same.

The Michelins are more forgiving at the limit -they give you more notice that "Hey, we're getting ready to let go" and they slide very predictably. The also catch traction smoothly - more or less just like when they let go. Killer tires. Bridgestone's are a bit more abrupt, but not much.

Wet weather - the Bridgestones edge out the Michelins a tad. They don't seem to hydroplane quite as quickly.

I think the Bridgestones make a bit more noise when pushed. They seem to squeal a bit earlier an more than the Michelins do.

Bridgestone's seem to be lasting a little longer than the Michelins did.

I wish I could give you more info on PS2's, but I've not had any experience w/them yet. Give me a couple weeks after I get them on the R8 and I'll be happy to share my thoughts.

DuckWingDuck
October 1st, 2008, 00:10
on tirerack, I think the PS2s are cheaper than the Pole Positions....

SpinEcho
October 1st, 2008, 01:52
Car came with SP9000's, which were a great tire about 10 years ago... Ditched them when they wore out, got PS2's and never looked back. FWIW, PS2's hold up pretty good to track abuse for a street tire.

Texas RS6
October 1st, 2008, 15:06
I appreciate all of the feed back. Most confirmed what I already decided to do. PS2 for me. I had great luck on my 993TT with them. The Poles only lasted 2500 miles on my 993TT, so I would be reluctant to use them again. 550HP in a 3200lb car...nice rush. :revs:

DuckWingDuck
October 1st, 2008, 16:39
wow, 2500 miles? The hell were you doing? Slaloming to work? Heh.

jbtexas
October 1st, 2008, 16:50
wow, 2500 miles? The hell were you doing? Slaloming to work? Heh.

Exactly...

I have had a few 993s (NA though).... and while I went through rears in about 10k miles, 2500 is crazy
!

Texas RS6
October 1st, 2008, 16:56
My 993 Twin would smoke all 4 tires off the line! I seemed to have to prove it all the time. :hahahehe:

jbtexas
October 1st, 2008, 16:59
My 993 Twin would smoke all 4 tires off the line! I seemed to have to prove it all the time. :hahahehe:

It's not a Camaro....it wasnt meant to do that!!!!! :nono:

DuckWingDuck
October 1st, 2008, 17:37
lol, seriously. I think that most people recognize a porsche and simply admire it rather than attempt to take it off the line at every red light.

Texas RS6
October 1st, 2008, 18:00
Excuse me! Every other light.:eye:

Holiday
October 1st, 2008, 19:26
A few years ago I replaced the tires on my mother's C220 Mercedes. Decided to give S-03 Pole Position's a run- she got ~7k miles out of them! Absolutely couldn't believe it- she drives....well, like a mom! I immediately thought that the car's camber was off, but everything at the Mercedes dealership was checked within specs- Pole Positions are just not meant to last; very disappointing.

On my RS6, I'm at about 40% on the Dunlop SP 9000's that came with the car. That said, I'll be in the market for a new set very soon. Although I must admit that I've scratched my head about a set of P-Zero's, I'm sure to end up with the PS2's. You simply can't go wrong with Michelin- they've got the market cornered IMO. I've probably purchased 15 sets of their tires over the years for different vehicles and never once have I been disappointed!

DuckWingDuck
October 1st, 2008, 23:49
well, the re-050a pole position are some new tyres and they are suppose to be good. Of course, I haven't gotten too many miles out of them before the car went into the shop!