PDA

View Full Version : DRC and the RS6

Texas RS6
September 30th, 2008, 00:43
It looks like the DRC has been covered several times on here. I did have questions:

1. Dynamic Ride Control? Is that what it stands for? Is it standard for all RS6s?

2. Does putting an after market suspension fix it by replacing it?

3. How do you know if it has failed or is failing? I read several post and it appears to be unstable at highway speeds. My car seems to have the ride of sport mode all the time. I assumed it was the way they ride. Nice and firm with stiff steering.

Don't mean to ask questions of noobery, but I looked over several threads until my eyes hurt. :burnout:

Bigglezworth
September 30th, 2008, 01:19
It looks like the DRC has been covered several times on here. I did have questions:

1. Dynamic Ride Control? Is that what it stands for? Is it standard for all RS6s?

2. Does putting an after market suspension fix it by replacing it?

3. How do you know if it has failed or is failing? I read several post and it appears to be unstable at highway speeds. My car seems to have the ride of sport mode all the time. I assumed it was the way they ride. Nice and firm with stiff steering.

Don't mean to ask questions of noobery, but I looked over several threads until my eyes hurt. :burnout:

1. - Yes. Audi's name for a highly complex adjustable suspension.
2. - Yes. Take off the stock and replace with aftermarket eliminates all of the OEM system.
3. - Depends. Clunking, poor handling in corners, leaking at top seal, etc. I'm not entirely certain if some slight dampness at the top classifies as leaking as I have some dampness on my front drivers side. Still performs stong however.

Tim

Fonzie Audi
September 30th, 2008, 01:25
1. yup
2. KW V3's are your best bet. have them, and love them. (some people say billsteins PSS9, but i've heard things about recalls.. so i stayed away)
3. personally, every time i went over a bump or dip in the road it sounded like there was a bag of rocks shaking around down there. it was very noticeable. also lost that "secure" feeling ripping around corners

SpinEcho
September 30th, 2008, 01:26
^^^ as above.

But as far as I know DRC is not "adjustable", as stated above, nor is there a "sport mode" (or for that matter a "comfort mode" :lovl: )......

Texas RS6
September 30th, 2008, 01:29
Thanks for the quick replys. I think with 34K miles my car is still okay and non of the scenarios you mention appear to be happening to my car. I think firm ride and sure footed feeling in turns and light bumps at speed feel great.

I guess nothing was ever done by Audi to recall or correct this issue for their loyal customers? I read a complaint thread but did not see if they stood behind the DRC or not.

I didn't think it was adjustible since there was no adjustor, just a sporty ride. How do you like the Vantage?

DuckWingDuck
September 30th, 2008, 02:55
Whenever I went over a small dip, I would literally fly out of my seat which led me to think that my DRC was on its way out. To be honest, to this day, even with my car coming back to me in the next few days, nobody truly knows what my problem was. Hopefully swapping to KW V3 will solve it.

SpinEcho
September 30th, 2008, 03:46
Texas RS6, I'm really starting to bond with the Vantage. As an overall experience it really delivers. Not the easiest car to get in and drive, so what did I do today - took it to the track :trash: (how's that for a shotgun wedding?)

Back to the topic, my DRC failed in winter, so I never had the opportunity to notice the scary handling under corner loads others have referred to. What I did notice was a weird combination of a bouncy, "loose" suspension and a ride that got progressively worse, to the point of bone-jarring.

The service manager said when it was replaced (under warranty): "you shouldn't really be driving this car in the winter, the salt is very hard on everything".......great...

Texas RS6
September 30th, 2008, 15:12
Driving in the winter is what most of you norther types bought the car for. I have read repeatedly how reliable these cars and quattros in general are in the snow. :snow:

Due they go bad in time or mileage or both? I want to do the chip and exhaust then suspension then I am sure the trans will follow. Does not seem avoidable. :mech:

The Vantage has a very sexy look!:hahahehe: What track?

Bigglezworth
September 30th, 2008, 17:07
^^^ as above.

But as far as I know DRC is not "adjustable", as stated above, nor is there a "sport mode" (or for that matter a "comfort mode" :lovl: )......My reference to 'adjustable' was specific to the ability for any one shock to take on additional fluid through dampeners based upon driving requirement. Obviously this is not a driver adjustment, but rather one controlled entirely by the automobile. This is why when one fails there is a requirment to repressurize the system so that opposite corners work. Concensus doesn't guarantee that you replace in pairs when one fails though.

Tim

KfabR8
September 30th, 2008, 22:39
DRC - Demon Riddled Control

When it suddenly sounds like the rear shock's come loose (and feels like it, for that matter), you'll know your system's gone away. Thumpity, thumpity, thump over just the smallest undulation in the road...

KW's and Hotchkis sway-bars are the way to go.

SpinEcho
October 1st, 2008, 01:36
The Vantage has a very sexy look!:hahahehe: What track?

Yeah, at this price point it's a decision that's probably more emotional than rational. People ask me "why not the R8?", and my response every time has been to point at my Vantage and say "just look at it"!

The track is Calabogie, open now for 2 years and still a relatively undiscovered gem.

DuckWingDuck
October 1st, 2008, 04:09
I agree, Aston Martins look tremendous. Kind of like Alfas.

Texas RS6
October 1st, 2008, 15:24
Occasionally my car makes a sound that sounds like the trunk is unlatched and kind bangs like it is loose over bumps occasionally.

The Vantage is very sleek, sexy and unique, but if I were making a decision between the two...I would take the R8. Just because it has track ready presence and is so different it appears to be a concept rather than a true production piece. But then again I prefer the curves of a 993TT to the 996TT sleek style. :bow:

DuckWingDuck
October 1st, 2008, 16:36
996 is crap. 997!!! hehe. But if you are talking about track ready, why not the GT-R? From all accounts, it's a scorcher.

Texas RS6
October 1st, 2008, 16:58
I love 4,000lbs track cars! :king: And I was talking about sex appeal.

SpinEcho
October 1st, 2008, 22:21
Occasionally my car makes a sound that sounds like the trunk is unlatched and kind bangs like it is loose over bumps occasionally.

I don't mean to pee in your cornflakes, but that's exactly how my DRC failure started...

Texas RS6
October 1st, 2008, 22:23
I new you were going to say that! It has started recently as the temp has started to drop from the mid 90's to mid 70s when I started noticing.