PDA

View Full Version : My new 85 mile RS6 is here!

jbtexas
September 24th, 2008, 20:13
Pics to follow soon.

- Car arrived to the dealership in Dallas at 12 noon today.
- Looks literally showroom new, not the slightest blemish anywhere on the car...I like the Avus Silver more than I thought I would... I am partial to Daytona Grey, but the Avus looks great too
- Surprisingly (to me) the wood trim actually doesnt look bad at all... still glad I bought the OEM carbon fiber to replace it, but the wood isnt bad
- The car smells BRAND new. Really, I can sit in it and walk inside the dealership and sit in an 08 RS4 and they smell the same. I thought that this would have worn off in 5 yrs, but it didnt.
- The tech is going to spend the next couple days with the car to put on new PS2s, disable rear airbags, switch wood for CF, overall bumper to bumper inspection, etc.

I figure it will be in my garage late Saturday...cant wait.

Erik
September 24th, 2008, 20:41
85 miles!!!???

What's the history of this car?

mmaturo
September 24th, 2008, 20:44
Pics to follow soon.

- Car arrived to the dealership in Dallas at 12 noon today.
- Looks literally showroom new, not the slightest blemish anywhere on the car...I like the Avus Silver more than I thought I would... I am partial to Daytona Grey, but the Avus looks great too
- Surprisingly (to me) the wood trim actually doesnt look bad at all... still glad I bought the OEM carbon fiber to replace it, but the wood isnt bad
- The car smells BRAND new. Really, I can sit in it and walk inside the dealership and sit in an 08 RS4 and they smell the same. I thought that this would have worn off in 5 yrs, but it didnt.
- The tech is going to spend the next couple days with the car to put on new PS2s, disable rear airbags, switch wood for CF, overall bumper to bumper inspection, etc.

I figure it will be in my garage late Saturday...cant wait.

Congrats Jonathon. I never made a comment about the wood switch out but i didn't think i would like it either until i sat in the car i ended up buying, I didn't even know there was the option. I thought it looked fine and canceled my plans for the CF.

jbtexas
September 24th, 2008, 20:50
85 miles!!!???

What's the history of this car?

Put in a bubble by a collector in 2003. Transported on truck to/from the dealership over the last 5 yrs for servicing...including the 35k service recently.

There were execs from Audi Germany at the dealer today and they confirmed that to their knowledge it was the lowest mileage C5 RS6 in the world... kind of cool I guess :addict:

Benman
September 24th, 2008, 23:25
There were execs from Audi Germany at the dealer today and they confirmed that to their knowledge it was the lowest mileage C5 RS6 in the world... kind of cool I guess :addict:
Well then, you are not allowed to drive it. :D

Ben:addict:

jbtexas
September 24th, 2008, 23:47

Sorry...while it wont be my only/daily driver, I bought it to drive it! I predict approximately 3-5k/year :wo:

ben916
September 25th, 2008, 06:47

Yeah, put it back in the bubble.... :)

Hardware
September 27th, 2008, 01:21
Drive it like you Stole it !!!:addict:

Hy Octane
September 27th, 2008, 21:14
Too bad you didnt ask the execs from Germany about the DRC problems you are going to have.

Congrats..and welcome to one of the most exclusive clubs in cardom.

jbtexas
September 27th, 2008, 21:37
Too bad you didnt ask the execs from Germany about the DRC problems you are going to have.

Congrats..and welcome to one of the most exclusive clubs in cardom.

Actually, I did. Well, I didnt ask them about the DRC problems... I know what they are, and I know that I will eventually get them. I asked about the best solution. In some broken English, the German exec tech manager (he said that he actually worked on the development of our engine in Germany) told me "ya... most people put a sport suspension on the car, like Bilstein"... :hihi:

54m
September 27th, 2008, 21:45
Your one very lucky person to have lowest mileage RS 6 then. :)
Any pics of your RS yet? :addict:

cornishmoocher
September 28th, 2008, 04:13
Sorry...while it wont be my only/daily driver, I bought it to drive it! I predict approximately 3-5k/year :wo: Yeah, right, thats what i thought, bout 6k a year, 9 months into this year, have done 20k!

Cant help it, it jusy HAS to be driven:incar:

cornishmoocher
September 28th, 2008, 04:15
P.S. Well done!!!:applause:

DuckWingDuck
September 28th, 2008, 05:28
lol@mooch

cornishmoocher
September 28th, 2008, 09:07
lol@mooch

20k Miles, £6k on fuel, 3 sets of Pirrelli rosso's 19/255/35r,£3k on mods, 4 services, 2 sets DRC, 1 gearbox, and a partridge in a pear tree.......

No wonder I am poor. Poor but happy!:jlol:

mdk
September 28th, 2008, 10:19
@ jbtexas nice choice:applause:

@ cornishmoocher :incar:
did at least the tree had any pears to quench your feelings after the partridge? :jlol:

:addict:
Michalis

cornishmoocher
September 28th, 2008, 10:27
MMMMMM Partridges, yummy birds, funny, they cant out run an RS6......

DuckWingDuck
September 28th, 2008, 11:14
mooch, why not try PS2 or some alternative tyres? You like the pirellis that much?

cornishmoocher
September 28th, 2008, 13:05
mooch, why not try PS2 or some alternative tyres? You like the pirellis that much?No, I like the price..... £378 per pair...:hahahehe:

Going to try some Assyms when i sell my next kidney ( my waffs, as I have already sold both of mine)

jbtexas
September 28th, 2008, 14:48
it has 200 miles on it now :D

cornishmoocher
September 28th, 2008, 14:54
photos man, C'm0n!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dab
September 28th, 2008, 16:46
Post your thoughts around the comparisons between the 4 and the 6 once you have a chance to break it in. Congrats..

KfabR8
September 28th, 2008, 17:13
Congrats JB!!!
I've had mine since Oct 13 of 03 and love it as much today as I did when I first got it. Just rolled 40K (miles) over yesterday.

mooch, why not try PS2 or some alternative tyres? You like the pirellis that much?Pirellis?? NOOOO!!! SAY IT AIN'T SO!!! (then again, they're better than Dunflops! :D)

PS2's or Bridgestones are the way to go. :thumb: I have Stones on mine at the moment and they're great tires. They replaced Micheline MX3's and I'll put PS2's on it next.

I'm getting ready to order PS2's for my R8 - the Pirelli bricks are finally burned off (11K). WOO HOO! ... yea, the car does wonderful, smoking donuts and drifts though corners oh so beautifully!

Can't wait to have real rubber on it to see just how much better it'll handle.

DuckWingDuck
September 28th, 2008, 17:20
what sorts of bridgestones are you running?

jbtexas
September 28th, 2008, 17:20
Post your thoughts around the comparisons between the 4 and the 6 once you have a chance to break it in. Congrats..

I am keeping the RPMs below 5k for now, with no WOT, and not exceeding 80mph. I have broken those rules for a couple of split seconds, but for the most part adhering. A little painful, but of course there is still plenty torque down low, so fun nevertheless.

Regarding the comparison, you asked :) (I love to rant about this kind of stuff)

Background:

I will start with the conclusion... If I could have had the RS4 with DSG or some other form of auto-transmission, I would have never got rid of it. There was very little I disliked about that car, other than underestimating what a pain the manual tranny became in traffic, around town, etc. Some here have said that it doesnt bother them...it did me. I bought the RS4 to be my everyday driver and the stick failed in that equation. On the weekends, it was great, but that is not why I bought it... I (at the time) had two Porsche 911s (air cooled) to serve the weekend sports car purpose. The RS4 also had a ridiculously small backseat, which made it difficult to carry my (then only one, now two) boys. So, the manual tranny became the deal killer, and the backseat was very small...but I would have lived with that if the tranny issue didnt exist.

RS6 vs. RS4 (these are pre break-in impressions of course)

- Funny how that "floaty" feeling of the DRC is exactly the same in both cars. My DRC is functioning properly now...I know that it will probably eventually fail. In both cases though, there is this bouncy feel...I remember it distinctly in the RS4 also.
- Much less involving, not surprisingly. The RS6 is point and squirt, and it does so with SO MUCH QUIET. The RS4 you could really hear what it was doing all the time...again, this is not surprising.
- The RS6 backseat is not THAT much bigger than the RS4! Yes it is bigger, but comparing both back seats with the same Recaro kids seat in the back, the room difference isnt as much as I assumed.
- Under hard braking, the RS6 from high speed feels soft and a little darty. I am still breaking in the brakes, so this might have something to do with them getting bedded correctly, or could be the suspension I suppose. But the braking on the RS4 felt more straight, safer, more assuring. This really surprises me given how huge and expensive the RS6 brakes are...would expect them to be the bomb.
- Front seat feels much bigger on the RS6, a lot more comfortable
- Acceleration...hard to say during break-in, but seat of pants in lower RPMs feels about the same, if anything the RS4 felt a bit faster. Obviously, it made its power much higher in the RPMs, but it had a nice flat torque curve also, pulled strong in any gear.
- The RS6 feels every bit as special as the RS4...at the end of the day, it is an R/RS Audi model, and I think all of them are special.
- Turbo lag (1-2 seconds) is something that I will need to get used to, I am finding that the secret is to stay "on boost" (duh)... helps keep it smoother.
- The one disappointment (again maybe just break-in) has been the transmission... it has "clunked" or jerked into gear a couple times, cant figure out if its just learning my driving style or if the tiptronic is going to be rough always. Not very smooth. Perhaps I got spoiled test driving the C6 S6 extensively, which I found to have an awesome transmission. I should point out that I havent even tried manual tip mode yet, so my comments are strictly in the normal auto setting.

Overall, very pleased with my purchase. In my particular case, I got (essentially) a brand new RS6 w/ extended warranty through 2014 or 70k miles for about the same price as a loaded B7 S4. The rarity and special feel of the car, along with the performance and room make it in a class of one. Other than the new S6, I just dont think anything even comes close. Find me a 4-door sedan with racing heritage, limited production, fast, comfortable, auto tranny, AWD, etc...just doesn't exist really.

So, with some form of auto tranny, I probably would prefer the RS4 to the RS6, but for now, the RS6 was an excellent "2nd choice" for me, for a lot less money $$. Perhaps I will sell it in a few years when the new RS4 comes out, or perhaps after break-in I will fall even more in love. Its the perfect daily driver for me right now.

Hope this helped.

jbtexas
September 28th, 2008, 17:26
photos man, C'm0n!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, will work on that today. I am not much of a camera guy, and I am enjoying driving the car! But I will get a few posted...I know, its a rule
:hihi:

KfabR8
September 28th, 2008, 18:08
Yea, yea, enough of the break in already. GET ON IT! :dig:

(I come from the flog it after it's warmed up community - old racer mentality...)

cornishmoocher
September 28th, 2008, 19:03
Pirrelli's rosso are ok as long as it does not rain, great in the dry shite in the wet, but better than conti's full stop. Had an aquaplaning moment the other day and only at 70 mph, no warning, sidewards down the motorway, Fronts new rears were fairly low but serviceable. Scary shit on a busy motorway. Quattro or no Quattro, aquaplaning happens quickly and without warning! But deffo going to try the Assyms next, but VVVVVVV expensive. £300+ per tyre for 275/35/19. Hence the need to sell one of my waffs kidneys.

jbtexas
September 28th, 2008, 22:37
Yea, yea, enough of the break in already. GET ON IT! :dig:

(I come from the flog it after it's warmed up community - old racer mentality...)

I agree on a brand new car. This one sitting unused for 5 yrs has caused me to be a bit more careful for the first 1000 miles or so...

DuckWingDuck
September 29th, 2008, 01:13
jonathan, I agree, for me, the fact that it's essentially been sitting there for five years means that you should be MORE gentle with it than compared to a car that just rolled off the factory floors.

cornishmoocher
September 29th, 2008, 01:26
500 miles, oil change then beat the shite outa it. It will be fine.

Texas RS6
September 29th, 2008, 17:36
Hello JB, I am in Plano TX and pick up my RS6 from a guy in HP via Ruf. It had 31K on it and is Dayton Grey. I like the whitish leather and the grey/black wood. The package flows well.

I thought I would just drive it a little and sell it. Then I drove it. Then I drove it some more. Now I drive it every day and plan to hot rod or "Tune It." There are some great threads on here about how to and how not to. I am thinking GIAC and Miltech then the Suspension when warrented.

DuckWingDuck
September 29th, 2008, 18:01
I would say that the suspension should be the first thing you look at. It's a relatively cheap and quick upgrade.

Texas RS6
September 29th, 2008, 18:06
Why? Mine seems to handle as well as stock 996. And should we start a new thread as to not high jack JBs? :rs6kiss:

jbtexas
September 30th, 2008, 01:53
no worries... lets consider this OUR thread...plenty room for everyone... :thumb:
I said what I had to say anyway... loving the car, promise pics soon... we should meet up sometime, do you know other Dallas area RS6 owners? I know that there are a few

Texas RS6
September 30th, 2008, 02:03
I know one guy and know there is one other. Chet runs a hopped up black one around Plano and N. Dallas. I have heard there is an Asian guy with one around from Boardwalk Audi. :cheers:

simon78
September 30th, 2008, 04:28
Can we ask how much you paid and how did you find this car????

DuckWingDuck
September 30th, 2008, 04:34
I think somebody first linked us to this car.

PeterH
September 30th, 2008, 19:32
Think it was a guy in Portland, OR who also had 2 barely used RS4's and an R8 all up for auction a little while ago. Selling all Audi collection for "medical reasons." Glad the RS6 went to a good home - enjoy it!

jbtexas
September 30th, 2008, 19:42
Can we ask how much you paid and how did you find this car????

More than $50k and less than $55k... :D

A very wealthy real estate guy in Portland had several cars in bubbles at a warehouse in Portland. He transported them by truck back and forth from the dealer for servicing, etc. A little hard to believe, but I confirmed all the records before purchasing. He also purchased the Platinum Audi/Fidelity warranty for these cars...on mine, 70k miles or 2014. It had 85 miles when it arrived in Dallas...now 200+miles and running great.

PeterH
September 30th, 2008, 21:31
Nice - glad to see he came down in price. His initial asking was pretty high. This way you can feel ok about actually driving it!

simon78
October 1st, 2008, 04:36
WOW !! What a great price!

Enjoy it!