PDA

View Full Version : which one is worse??

Tony Lam
September 24th, 2008, 04:23
which gear box is worse and why?...2006 BMW M5 SMG or 2006 MASERATI GRANSPORT F1 GEAR BOX?? both cars look good to me however the gear box don't work so well as i heard from some people.....could anyone here tell me about it please?!:bow:

KK265
September 24th, 2008, 09:47
which gear box is worse and why?...2006 BMW M5 SMG or 2006 MASERATI GRANSPORT F1 GEAR BOX?? both cars look good to me however the gear box don't work so well as i heard from some people.....could anyone here tell me about it please?!:bow:
SMG because is unreliable.A lot of failures..

PeterJohn
September 24th, 2008, 10:10
Maserati now offers a regular auto, which is said to be much better. They went to a lot of trouble in fact, because the original gearbox was located in the back, so they had to re-engineer a great deal. Just proves how big of a problem that gearbox was.

For the same reason, people have switched from the M5 to an Alpina B5, or even back to an old M5. The SMG works great at times, but the anticipation of a hick-up ruins the experience.

If you want style, the Maserati auto is there for you. If you want engineering and Q-ship qualities, I would go for the Alpina B5(S).
The drivetrain of the M5 is a mis-match in my opinion. Not just the tempermental gearbox, but the high revving V10 as well. A bad balance between sport and real world performance.
The Alpina is not only more comfortable, it is also faster and more fuel effecient.

http://static.autoblog.nl/images/wp2007/Alpina%20B5%20S%201.jpg